The 2nd Debate

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
This is on in the UK as I speak. Is it happening now, or am i watching a recording from a couple of nights ago?

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Ahh well either way its over now. Personally i still think that Obama is the better choice but I cant help but feel that my opinion is swayed simply by the fact that McCain looks like he could drop dead at any moment. He waddled about the stage like a man looking for his mobility scooter.

If he was 10 years younger this election would be his i feel. As it is, Obama talks the talk and walks the walk and i think will take it on election day.

Mo250

Awards
Why the hell don't these two just drop Palin and Biden and join forces as a single ticket: Obama/McCain '08 (or vice versa).

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
"Dinosaurs and humans walked the Earth at the same time."

-- Sarah Palin

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go."

-- BHO
That's funny:toofunny: What he meant was that Heinz used 57 flavors to make their ketchup.:rolleyes:

The difference between the Palin joke and what Obama said under exhaustion is that Mcspokesmodel really subscribes to that theory.

:bruce3:

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
That's funny:toofunny: What he meant was that Heinz used 57 flavors to make their ketchup.:rolleyes:

The difference between the Palin joke and what Obama said under exhaustion is that Mcspokesmodel really subscribes to that theory.

Fair enough....but try to explain away this one:

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed, he said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

-- Joe Biden

Turd

Awards
"Across this country this is the agenda I have set before my fellow prisoners,"

John McCain

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap2Cg_FDRy4"]YouTube - Barack Obama - Gaffe Mania I - Dumber than Dumb[/ame]

Have a ****in ball.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The 2nd debate was a snoozer. Nothing. Nada. Both failed horribly.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The 2nd debate was a snoozer. Nothing. Nada. Both failed horribly.
agreed, and since it was a dual failure, it was a success for Obama as the status quo remains the same

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That wasn't a success for anyone. The status quo is a complete failure. Obama as the President is a joke and McCain is becoming more and more inept each day.

This election has become a sad joke.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
"Across this country this is the agenda I have set before my fellow prisoners,"

John McCain
Beat this one:

"You got into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." -- Barack Obama

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
That wasn't a success for anyone. The status quo is a complete failure. Obama as the President is a joke and McCain is becoming more and more inept each day.

Agreed...any Dow estimates on Nov 5, if Obama wins?

I predict a one day 700 point drop.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

gotta disagree. If things remain the same it is success for Obama. As right now this election will be over before 9pm.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed...any Dow estimates on Nov 5, if Obama wins?

I predict a one day 700 point drop.

Why? Obama gets more money form Wall Street than McCain. If you have a President that removes risk to the downside, why would you be scared on Wall Street.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
gotta disagree. If things remain the same it is success for Obama. As right now this election will be over before 9pm.
I don't equate Obama winning to success. I consider it the opposite.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Why? Obama gets more money form Wall Street than McCain. If you have a President that removes risk to the downside, why would you be scared on Wall Street.
Increasing capital gains taxes and corporate tax rates, increasing government oversight on private enterprise, and a 50% tax on small business? How bullish is anyone with that as his platform?

Turd

Awards
" If I were dictator, which I always aspire to be"

John McCain

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
" If I were dictator, which I always aspire to be"

John McCain
"I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe." -- Barack Obama

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
"life is like a box of chocolates." --forrest gump

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Increasing capital gains taxes and corporate tax rates, increasing government oversight on private enterprise, and a 50% tax on small business? How bullish is anyone with that as his platform?

And Wall Street has avoided that for 80 years. Wall Street does one thing well....they stretch the rules they are given and find ways around the system. When you have politicians making rules and regulations on issues they don't understand, who do you think is going to win that fight?

This crisis is a perfect example. You had politicians making rules in the free market. You would think forcing banks to loan to people with lower incomes and bad credit would be bad for their bottom line right? They made a killing.

When you have politicians threatening oversight, tax increases and regulation, Wall Street laughs. They will find a way to exploit it because they know in the end, they are smarter than the politicians watching them.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
And Wall Street has avoided that for 80 years. Wall Street does one thing well....they stretch the rules they are given and find ways around the system. When you have politicians making rules and regulations on issues they don't understand, who do you think is going to win that fight?

This crisis is a perfect example. You had politicians making rules in the free market. You would think forcing banks to loan to people with lower incomes and bad credit would be bad for their bottom line right? They made a killing.

When you have politicians threatening oversight, tax increases and regulation, Wall Street laughs. They will find a way to exploit it because they know in the end, they are smarter than the politicians watching them.
I see your point. What about small business? Will they just start manipulating their income until they're under 250k a year? Won't the cap gains tax impact individual investors?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see your point. What about small business? Will they just start manipulating their income until they're under 250k a year? Won't the cap gains tax impact individual investors?

Pretty much. You will just see more money dumped into other things rather than giving it to the government.

Investors are long term and the chances of that rate being changed again is quite high.

Traders for the most part pay what their tax bracket is because they hold for less than a year.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I don't equate Obama winning to success. I consider it the opposite.

Which is your "right", I think you're wrong which is my right. Another 4 years of MCsame hell is not something I look forward to. Btw, if these politicians were perfect, we'd have nothing to talk about. The fact is JFK DID stand up to Krushev and the missiles were removed. I was 10 at the time and the memories of the fear of that time are still vivid and we really didn't know much. Boy if we had CNN, Fox and others at that time, who knows what would have happened.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Which is your "right", I think you're wrong which is my right. Another 4 years of MCsame hell is not something I look forward to. Btw, if these politicians were perfect, we'd have nothing to talk about. The fact is JFK DID stand up to Krushev and the missiles were removed. I was 10 at the time and the memories of the fear of that time are still vivid and we really didn't know much. Boy if we had CNN, Fox and others at that time, who knows what would have happened.

Khrushchev put those missiles there because he viewed JFK as weak from his talks in Vienna in 1961. Even Kennedy admitted it was a mistake.

"Paul Nitze, the assistant secretary of defense, said the meeting was "just a disaster." Khrushchev's aide, after the first day, said the American president seemed "very inexperienced, even immature." Khrushchev agreed, noting that the youthful Kennedy was "too intelligent and too weak." The Soviet leader left Vienna elated -- and with a very low opinion of the leader of the free world."

You are going to get another 4 years of the same whether you like it or not. This idea that Obama is actually going to change anything for you is a pipe dream and you of all people should understand that.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Khrushchev put those missiles there because he viewed JFK as weak from his talks in Vienna in 1961. Even Kennedy admitted it was a mistake.

"Paul Nitze, the assistant secretary of defense, said the meeting was "just a disaster." Khrushchev's aide, after the first day, said the American president seemed "very inexperienced, even immature." Khrushchev agreed, noting that the youthful Kennedy was "too intelligent and too weak." The Soviet leader left Vienna elated -- and with a very low opinion of the leader of the free world."

You are going to get another 4 years of the same whether you like it or not. This idea that Obama is actually going to change anything for you is a pipe dream and you of all people should understand that.

Any person with a brain knows that things don't change overnight but, it has to start somewhere. The problem is there are so called "sheeps" to the left and lemmings to the "right" that are unenlightened and always will be. Btw, had Richard Nixon been in office in 1961, chances are We're not having this conversation cause I would be dead and you would never have been born.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any person with a brain knows that things don't change overnight but, it has to start somewhere. The problem is there are so called "sheeps" to the left and lemmings to the "right" that are unenlightened and always will be.
And when the middle votes with their hearts instead of their heads, your just multiply the problem.

Voting for change irrelevant of policy is a complete failure of the electorate.

Btw, had Richard Nixon been in office in 1961, chances are We're not having this conversation cause I would be dead and you would never have been born.

Oh please expand on this one. I would love to hear it.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
And when the middle votes with their hearts instead of their heads, your just multiply the problem.

It's your opinion that they are doing this

Voting for change irrelevant of policy is a complete failure of the electorate.

Maybe what he is saying is correct and the way to go in the future your opinion notwithstanding

Oh please expand on this one. I would love to hear it.
IMO Nixon who the Republican party appears to be ashamed of nowadays was a hothead when it came to Russia and would have been quick to the trigger. Now you can tell me how he ended the Vietnam War

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's your opinion that they are doing this
Thanks for the obvious but I find it hard to believe that all these Obama supporters are following his extensive policy changes....when you find some, let me and everyone else know.

Maybe what he is saying is correct and the way to go in the future your opinion notwithstanding
I don't' hear much. Its basic political rhetoric that has very little substance. Its the Pide piper playing his flute. Its McCain too. He has failed miserably over the last 3 weeks to say anything substantial...except his knowledge of foreign policy in one debate.

IMO Nixon who the Republican party appears to be ashamed of nowadays was a hothead when it came to Russia and would have been quick to the trigger. Now you can tell me how he ended the Vietnam War
Its very obvious you don't follow the party at all. In fact, it was quite the opposite before he died.

Why should I tell you that? You need a history lesson on Kissinger and the Democrat Congress in 74-75?

I don't think you want to discuss the funding cuts.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the obvious but I find it hard to believe that all these Obama supporters are following his extensive policy changes....when you find some, let me and everyone else know.

I don't' hear much. Its basic political rhetoric that has very little substance. Its the Pide piper playing his flute. Its McCain too. He has failed miserably over the last 3 weeks to say anything substantial...except his knowledge of foreign policy in one debate.

Its very obvious you don't follow the party at all. In fact, it was quite the opposite before he died.

Just before he died, maybe, I must admit I felt sorry for him with the loss of his beloved wife.

Why should I tell you that? You need a history lesson on Kissinger and the Democrat Congress in 74-75?

Please enlighten me, I was just a hard working young man at the time with a recent engagement to my now wife.

I don't think you want to discuss the funding cuts.
And I don't don't think you'd want to discuss the recession that we experienced from 72-76 even in the war economy of the times. The high gas prices, the high food prices, the rampant inflation (sound familiar). That being said, I'd kill to pay 60 cents a gallon for gas again. We could go back and forth forever with this, you have your history books, I have my life, let's just agree to disagree.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
And I don't don't think you'd want to discuss the recession that we experienced from 72-76 even in the war economy of the times.

Go for it all you want. It was much longer than 72-76 and had more to do with core inflation than any war.

The high gas prices, the high food prices, the rampant inflation (sound familiar).
Yes, its what caused the recession of the 70's unlike now. Its also the origin of many of the deregulation elements this current economy has but unlike then, its half of what it was.

That being said, I'd kill to pay 60 cents a gallon for gas again.
While making 1/10th of what you currently make? Have fun. Core inflation even now is half of what it was then. It was inflation that put this country into a decade long recession and why you paid 12-20% mortgage rates in the early 80's.

We could go back and forth forever with this, you have your history books, I have my life, let's just agree to disagree.

The beauty of those history books is that it actually tells you want really went on contrary to what the public thought.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The beauty of those history books is that it actually tells you want really went on contrary to what the public thought.
Haha... man... I saw that one coming from 10 miles away!!! :D

Adams

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I should have said contemporary history.

Studying primary documents of early western civ is a PITA :)