Obama to drop Biden?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Obama to drop Biden?

An argument is developing that Barack Obama should do the unthinkable and dump his running-mate, Senator Joe Biden, before it’s too late. Billed as the Democrats’ attack dog when Obama picked him four weeks ago, Biden has done little to live up to his promise. On one occasion, he even admitted that Hillary Clinton might have been a better choice. "She’s easily qualified to be vice president," he told a rally in New Hampshire on September 10, "and quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me."

There are many who agree with him and who now believe that Obama-Clinton is the only ticket that can beat McCain-Palin.

Andy Ostoy on the Huffington Post says a straight swap would almost certainly win the election for the Democrats. "It's time to dump Biden and replace him with Sen Hillary Clinton", he says. "Joe Biden's a perfectly appropriate vice presidential running-mate for Barack Obama. He's got 36 years of Senate experience… and is a genuinely nice guy. But ever since John McCain added plucky Sarah Palin to his ticket, the old adage ‘nice guys finish last’ is beginning to take on new meaning in this year's presidential contest."

Kate Allison Granju, who blogs on KnoxNews, agrees. "There is no real downside for Obama to this scenario," she writes. "If he did it, pundits might gripe a bit about ‘flip flopping,’ but they would also eat up the excitement of yet another wacky twist in this crazy campaign season."

Glenn Reynolds, the notorious conservative blogger who writes for Instapundit, even speculates on how the Democrats might do it. An email sent to Reynolds, published on his blog, suggests that Biden will step down "due to health reasons" after the first presidential debate between John McCain and Obama this Friday and "Hillary is going to take his place". Reynolds also points out that Intrade, the world’s leading prediction market, has seen a jump in the number of people predicting Joseph Biden will be withdrawn from the Democratic ticket.

Citizen news network BloggerNewsNet has also heard the rumours. A writer from the website visited three Obama campaign offices and discovered that there was "almost no Obama-Biden merchandise available". A visit to the Barack Obama official merchandise website meanwhile reveals that "there are over 100 T-shirts for sale on the site - only one of them mentions ‘Obama-Biden’."

It’s not just the online media who are excited by the prospect of an 'October Surprise'. The Washington Post’s Jack Kelly reports that a source in the Democratic party told him that Obama is under pressure to drop Biden for Clinton. "What might prompt such an act of desperation?" asks Kelly. "The polls".

He goes on to explain that "due to hidden racism from voters" Obama’s poll results should always be taken to be four to six points lower than they appear. As a result Obama’s chances suddenly look less good.

Arrogant

Arrogant

Awards
A rumor that has origins on two right wing blogs -- spawned with an attempt to anger Clinton supporters.

Old news, but I'd expect nothing less.

Obama's surge in the polls continues, with another boost today.
:dance:

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
..."due to hidden racism from voters" Obama’s poll results should always be taken to be four to six points lower than they appear.....
That would end up a major decisive factor in this election cycle!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A rumor that has origins on two right wing blogs -- spawned with an attempt to anger Clinton supporters.

Old news, but I'd expect nothing less.

Obama's surge in the polls continues, with another boost today.
:dance:

Its ok, even if he wins, you'll still be one angry liberal.

:lol:

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Its ok, even if he wins, you'll still be one angry liberal.

No JP I think he'll be a happy in your words "liberal" and so will I. Actually I think Joe Biden and Donald Trump should have a comb over competition, now that would be entertaining. Actually John McCain could join in too, however, his comb over isn't pretentious.:lol:

:bruce3:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No JP I think he'll be a happy in your words "liberal" and so will I. Actually I think Joe Biden and Donald Trump should have a comb over competition, now that would be entertaining. Actually John McCain could join in too, however, his comb over isn't pretentious.:lol:

:bruce3:
Liberals are never happy. Its not in their nature. :lol:

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I could see McCain dropping Palin and picking up Romney in light of economics.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What would FDR do?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wonder what we could think of a Palin/Biden ticket.

FDR on TV and foreign policy experience based on Russia flying in Alaskan airspace.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not kidding you when I say Clinton used his commanding the Arkansas National Guard as foreign experience.

Bottom line...governnors don't have foreign policiy experience. They know it, the media knows it, you know it, but politics demands a "gotcha" moment.

12 minutes and counting! If McCain doesn't pummel him, I think it might be over. "Its the economy stupid". History repeats itself!

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I'm not kidding you when I say Clinton used his commanding the Arkansas National Guard as foreign experience.

Bottom line...governnors don't have foreign policiy experience. They know it, the media knows it, you know it, but politics demands a "gotcha" moment.

12 minutes and counting! If McCain doesn't pummel him, I think it might be over. "Its the economy stupid". History repeats itself!
there's a very likely scenario where the electoral college goes 269-269, then is decided in the House. How depressing would that be?

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
With the gallop polls being so close (tied as of yesterday), I can't see Obama possibly winning. Considering a very large # of his supporters being the historical 'no-show' age, along with many of his other supporters who can't even vote.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
If McCain keeps Palin saddled, I can't see any reason for pasturing Biden.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there's a very likely scenario where the electoral college goes 269-269, then is decided in the House. How depressing would that be?
I could see this being the case. If you use the yahoo dashboard you can play the scenario around and many times if NH falls to McCain (which I think it will) then there is a good case for 269-269. Also, they use the RPC poll which I am not too familiar with and it has Obama in the lead in Virginia and gaining in Ohio and Florida. If that happens, forget it all