McCain will 'suspend' campaign tomorrow

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

McCain will 'suspend' campaign tomorrow

To focus on the pending economic crisis, he says. He also wants Friday's debate to be delayed.

I have a feeling Obama will spin/interpret it as a cop out, but I read that McCain wants Obama so suspend his campaign also.

I think this is a good idea, however. All of the focus needs to be on the treasury right now. Presidential campaign can wait a week or two.

Your thoughts?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.95%

SUSA snap polls McCain's political stunt
    http://www.surveyusa.com/client/Poll...2-9dd6b2df8c02

Wed Sep 24, 2008 at 0240 PM PDT

SurveyUSA. 9/24. Adults. MoE 3.2% (No trend lines)

The first debate between John McCain and Barack Obama is scheduled to take place in two days. Should the debate be held as scheduled? Should the debate be held, but the format changed to focus on the economy? Or, should the debate be postponed?

Hold as scheduled 50
    Hold with focus on economy 36
    Postpone 10

Is the right response to the turmoil on Wall Street to suspend the campaigns for president? To continue the campaigns as though there is no crisis? Or, to re-focus the campaigns with a unique emphasis on the turmoil on Wall Street?

Suspend 14
    Continue 31
    Refocus the campaign 48

If Friday's presidential debate does not take place, would that be good for America? Bad for America? Or would it make no difference?

Good for America 14
    Bad for America 46
    No difference 35

Once again, McCain finds himself on the wrong side of public opinion.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.95%

•   

4. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

hehe...liberal hate is funny
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  5. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.95%

Quote Originally Posted by J. Peterman View Post
    hehe...liberal hate is funny

What's funny is a guy that can't multi-task a senate vote and a debate that would take up a couple hours of his time -- yet want's to be president.

He was trending horribly when it came to public perception of his ability to handle the economy - especially among independants.

This was a stunt and nothing more. He had hoped to make Obama look bad for not suspending his own campaign, but thankfully the public sees right through this lame move.
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

The first debate between John McCain and Barack Obama is scheduled to take place in two days. Should the debate be held as scheduled? Should the debate be held, but the format changed to focus on the economy? Or, should the debate be postponed?
    This question doesn't make any mention of pending financial meltdown or why McCain has chosen to suspend his campaign, so I am hesitant to acknowledge it's relevancy.

Is the right response to the turmoil on Wall Street to suspend the campaigns for president? To continue the campaigns as though there is no crisis? Or, to re-focus the campaigns with a unique emphasis on the turmoil on Wall Street?
    First of all, and I am assuming here, I believe only a small minority of Americans have any idea what's happening on Wall Street and what could come of our problems. Because of this, I feel like this question is irrelevant. Besides, the two candidates also have a DUTY to serve in the senate. The American people will benefit more from resolving this meltdown than from hearing a single debate that could easily be held at another time.

If Friday's presidential debate does not take place, would that be good for America? Bad for America? Or would it make no difference?
    Postponing a debate "bad for America"? Where do they come up with this ****?

Beyond that, this poll came out what, minutes after he announced this? By me, he is doing the responsible thing and I'm sure(hoping) that Obama will commend him for this and also join him.

The website even says
    Opinions can and should be expected to change as news events unfold.
    Pretty illegitimate poll in my opinion. Debates and campaigns are puppet shows anyways, do they really matter or have any effect on informed voters?
  8. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant View Post
    What's funny is a guy that can't multi-task a senate vote and a debate that would take up a couple hours of his time -- yet want's to be president.

He was trending horribly when it came to public perception of his ability to handle the economy - especially among independants.

This was a stunt and nothing more. He had hoped to make Obama look bad for not suspending his own campaign, but thankfully the public sees right through this lame move.

I think what is funny is that you actually associate the "public" with about 1000 (oops) votes on an issue that just happened 3 hours ago.

I know how much you hate McCain/Palin, but maybe you want to give it a bit more time to make a judgement on how the American public think.

Just bottle that hate for a little while longer
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.49%

This is a strategic move by McCain, and it is pretty surprising to see how he remains one step ahead of Obama strategy wise.

If Obama doesn't also suspend his campaign it will look as though he is putting personal aspiration before the welfare of his country. If he does suspend his campaign it will look like he is a day late and a dollar short.

If McCain goes to this thing and takes a populist position, and tells Bernanke and Paulson to go sodomize each other he will come off smelling like a rose.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.95%

I think what is funny is that you actually associate the "public" with about 50 votes on an issue that just happened 3 hours ago.

I know how much you hate McCain/Palin, but maybe you want to give it a bit more time to make a judgement on how the American public think.

Just bottle that hate for a little while longer
    Please explain what McCain will do, besides grandstand and bring his campaign to capital hill, by NOT going to the debate?

Two hours. The guy can't take two hours to TELL AMERICA what he plans on doing to right the ship that he had a big hand in sinking..

It's especially funny that the conservative GOP base is waiting to pounce on him for even thinking about voting for a bailout. I'd love to see him vote (yet again) with Dubya on this issue.
  11. PES Rep
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.81%

why would he suspend such a critical debate? if he's serious about trying to help this situation then the best he can do is present his ideas during this debate... he does not yet have the power to solve this in an office somewhere.

McCain, go and debate your ideas!
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.05%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    This is a strategic move by McCain, and it is pretty surprising to see how he remains one step ahead of Obama strategy wise.

If Obama doesn't also suspend his campaign it will look as though he is putting personal aspiration before the welfare of his country. If he does suspend his campaign it will look like he is a day late and a dollar short.

If McCain goes to this thing and takes a populist position, and tells Bernanke and Paulson to go sodomize each other he will come off smelling like a rose.
    I agree, I think Obama will need to do the same, but also push for the debate to happen. They both need to head back to Washington as neither has voted on anything since April. However, I think the debate needs to go forward as well, as it would be nice to have a platform to hear the two possible Presidents discuss what they might do on the economy. I mean hell that is the #1 issue for voters right now
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  13. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

Please explain what McCain will do, besides grandstand and bring his campaign to capital hill, by NOT going to the debate?

Two hours. The guy can't take two hours to TELL AMERICA what he plans on doing to right the ship that he had a big hand in sinking..

It's especially funny that the conservative GOP base is waiting to pounce on him for even thinking about voting for a bailout. I'd love to see him vote (yet again) with Dubya on this issue.

You think anyone knows how to right the ship? You think Obama will explicitly spell out a plan to shape things up? Do you think McCain would be able to?? Riiiiight. The brightest minds in the financials sector (smarter than both candidates btw) have no ide what to do.

If they don't figure out this stupid 'bail out' bill, America could be shoulder deep in **** come election day.

You act like this will be the only chance the American people EVER get to hear about the candidates' plans. Washington is more important than 1 debate-

ESPECIALLY ONE THAT WILL BE RESCHEDULED
  14. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

I just find it hilarious that you get so bent out of shape over this.

15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.05%

[QUOTE=Arrogant;1561248]
    He was trending horribly when it came to public perception of his ability to handle the economy - especially among independants./QUOTE]

McCain also called for Congress to look into Fannie and Freddy because there were accounting and regulatory issues...in 2005.

That seems like a good sense foresight to me.

Just yesterday, Harry Reid said that McCain's input was important and they needed him, today he said it was a photo op.

McCain has also said before he'd rather lose the Presidency than lose a war. I think we can add he'd rather lose the Presidency then allow the country to suffer economically.

COUNTRY FIRST!
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.38%
    Achievements Posting Pro

[QUOTE=bigrobbierob;1561381]
    He was trending horribly when it came to public perception of his ability to handle the economy - especially among independants./QUOTE]

McCain also called for Congress to look into Fannie and Freddy because there were accounting and regulatory issues...in 2005.

That seems like a good sense foresight to me.

Just yesterday, Harry Reid said that McCain's input was important and they needed him, today he said it was a photo op.

McCain has also said before he'd rather lose the Presidency than lose a war. I think we can add he'd rather lose the Presidency then allow the country to suffer economically.

COUNTRY FIRST!

Bullsh!t, If this situation was reversed all of you would be talking about how the Left is so afraid of losing the election. In this day and age of instant communication, there is no need for the campaign to be suspended. The fact is this is a way to johnny come lately the fact that John McCain is out of touch and he is trying to catch up. They were probably giving him blood thinners to keep the top of his head from coming off. Get Real, Campaigns have gone on through wars, I'm sure his campaign could figure this out.

:bruce3:
  17. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Its Sarah Palins fault.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.77%

Its odd to consider someone actually cares about the economy and not just their own personal agenda.. Isnt that the job of a president/potential...?
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.38%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Its Sarah Palins fault.
    JP, I love when you bring levity to the situation

Btw, I don't know if you heard, when she was in New york she saw rats for the 1st time and had them shot and skinned for the trip back home.

20. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastone View Post
    JP, I love when you bring levity to the situation

Btw, I don't know if you heard, when she was in New york she saw rats for the 1st time and had them shot and skinned for the trip back home.

Charlie Rangle is dead?
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.38%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Charlie Rangle is dead?

Oh no you didn't, That's actually pretty funny but no

22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.41%

The only reasons for any candidate to unilaterally suspend campaigning in the face of such a serious calamity would be the conviction that the winner of the dog and pony show will have no way to solve it anyway, that the result is unimportant to the future direction of the country -- that it really is just a popularity contest with no relevance to the fundamental direction of the country -- a conviction that the fundamental attitudes of both candidates are so similar that it doesn't matter who's elected anyway.
  23. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I'll pay good money to see everyone responsible for this sh*t to get raped with a fire extinguisher covered in sand paper and lined with alcohol.
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.05%

Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    I'll pay good money to see everyone responsible for this sh*t to get raped with a fire extinguisher covered in sand paper and lined with alcohol.
    http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArti...1&show=1&rss=1
  25. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

Quote Originally Posted by bigrobbierob View Post

Don't forget Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.
  26. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

The list would be very large.

Considering the speech I just saw, without some miracle, I dont see McCain winning this at all now.
  27. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

The list would be very large.

Considering the speech I just saw, without some miracle, I dont see McCain winning this at all now.
    Don't worry I can get enough supplies for everyone

Who do you think is gonna handle the economy better? why?
  28. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

i think this is a perfect situation. which candidate can bring about a bipartisan solution that suits both sides building consensus, and protecting the american public? isnt that what both of them say they will do as president? so heres the chance to prove whether they are even capable of bipartisan action, which we all know obama isnt. except comically in this situation obama would be more likely to have the win as mccain would like to see the bailout killed. so im glad obama isnt going back to dc. i wonder if he'll debate himself on tv?
  29. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Partisanship and political jabbing aside (which I do often and is fun), neither of these guys are qualified. Carly Fiorina was right. None of these candidates are qualified to run a major company. This is what happens when you have politicians dictate economic policy. Its the same thing that happens when politicians run a war. Its a disaster.

Whats really sad is that the majorty of the public blame Republicans for this. They do have blame..not disputing that...but many of the guys who took sweetheart deals got booted out in 2006. They simply aren't there and not the root cause. The scary and saddest thing of all is the same people that pumped up Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, the people who pushed the agenda for getting lower income people and people with bad credit a fair shot at loans, are the same ones you see now telling you they are going to fix it...and 99% of them are Democrats. Thats not partisan, its just a fact. Democrats control Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and the creation of subprime was a Democrat ideology... Republicans have oil and thats another story.
  30. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

They will handle it exactly the same. There aren't very many options for this fix.
  31. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Warren Buffett: We are facing financial Pearl Harbor.
  32. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.64%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

mccain obviously. What do you think corporations will do when their taxes go up? cut costs by lowering wages or laying off people, and raise prices. Given the % of middle class income that goes towards non-housing related expenses, i'd say the middle class will be worse off by raising corporate taxes. Unemployment will climb, and so will inflation. Sounds just great, and all of us middle class families will get a WHOPPING $20 a week in tax credit. You heard that right, $20 whole dollars a week. Just think what a difference that will make!

The reverse is true as well. Less corporate taxes means more spare dollars for corporations to invest in themselves and growth, meaning more jobs. Actually even 10x moreso right now. So theres a credit crunch and it may be difficult for businesses to get credit to finance expansion. The perfect time for a lower corporate tax so those companies have cash to do the expansion with instead.
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.38%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Someone once referred to Obama followers as sheep. Well lemmings, your cliff is coming, Enjoy the dive.

34. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastone View Post
    Someone once referred to Obama followers as sheep. Well lemmings, your cliff is coming, Enjoy the dive.

I don't think you quite understand the cliff is created by the earth disapppearing under your feet.

Obama is meeting tomorrow in Washington with everyone else. This is bigger than both of them.
  35. Banned
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Thanks for the insight.

You people seem to know your sh*t when it comes to politics, I feel like I'm stepping in a pitch black area and quick sand, hate politics.
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.38%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I don't think you quite understand the cliff is created by the earth disapppearing under your feet.

Obama is meeting tomorrow in Washington with everyone else. This is bigger than both of them.
    Agreed, actually it's bigger than all of us.

37. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Joe Biden explained this the best.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glrnb_G34E4"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with this and can you imagine if Palin said this?

This one is by far, the best one he's done to date.

Give up? First, it was Hoover, not Roosevelt. Second, there were no TV's in 1929.

Classic Biden.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.77%

give yourself a pat on the back if you voted bush back in the second time, lol.
  39. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    give yourself a pat on the back if you voted bush back in the second time, lol.
    Do you mean because he warned congress about Fannie and Freddie and yet no one did anything about it?
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.77%

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    Do you mean because he warned congress about Fannie and Freddie and yet no one did anything about it?
    I am astounded how far the mighty have fallen. Introspection may prove that the current status is valid or understandable with a "we did what we had to do attitude". From afar it looks like a bed shatting, and it stinks so bad i wish i was farther away. Whom stands to benefit the most i always wonder?

Similar Forum Threads

1. McCain Campaign's Race Baiting HOAX.
    By Arrogant in forum Politics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 02:07 AM
  2. Deconstructing the Hypocrisy of the McCain Campaign
    By BodyWizard in forum Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 08:57 AM
  3. McCain and Palin Campaign poster
    By Jayhawkk in forum Politics
    Replies: 3