McCain will 'suspend' campaign tomorrow

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
To focus on the pending economic crisis, he says. He also wants Friday's debate to be delayed.

I have a feeling Obama will spin/interpret it as a cop out, but I read that McCain wants Obama so suspend his campaign also.

I think this is a good idea, however. All of the focus needs to be on the treasury right now. Presidential campaign can wait a week or two.

Your thoughts?

Arrogant

Arrogant

Awards
SUSA snap polls McCain's political stunt
http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReportUC.aspx?g=54d651a7-a62b-4420-bb32-9dd6b2df8c02

Wed Sep 24, 2008 at 02:28:40 PM PDT

SurveyUSA. 9/24. Adults. MoE 3.2% (No trend lines)

The first debate between John McCain and Barack Obama is scheduled to take place in two days. Should the debate be held as scheduled? Should the debate be held, but the format changed to focus on the economy? Or, should the debate be postponed?

Hold as scheduled 50
Hold with focus on economy 36
Postpone 10

Is the right response to the turmoil on Wall Street to suspend the campaigns for president? To continue the campaigns as though there is no crisis? Or, to re-focus the campaigns with a unique emphasis on the turmoil on Wall Street?

Suspend 14
Continue 31
Refocus the campaign 48

If Friday's presidential debate does not take place, would that be good for America? Bad for America? Or would it make no difference?

Good for America 14
Bad for America 46
No difference 35

Once again, McCain finds himself on the wrong side of public opinion.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hehe...liberal hate is funny :lol:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Arrogant

Arrogant

Awards
hehe...liberal hate is funny :lol:

What's funny is a guy that can't multi-task a senate vote and a debate that would take up a couple hours of his time -- yet want's to be president.

He was trending horribly when it came to public perception of his ability to handle the economy - especially among independants.

This was a stunt and nothing more. He had hoped to make Obama look bad for not suspending his own campaign, but thankfully the public sees right through this lame move.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
The first debate between John McCain and Barack Obama is scheduled to take place in two days. Should the debate be held as scheduled? Should the debate be held, but the format changed to focus on the economy? Or, should the debate be postponed?
This question doesn't make any mention of pending financial meltdown or why McCain has chosen to suspend his campaign, so I am hesitant to acknowledge it's relevancy.

Is the right response to the turmoil on Wall Street to suspend the campaigns for president? To continue the campaigns as though there is no crisis? Or, to re-focus the campaigns with a unique emphasis on the turmoil on Wall Street?
First of all, and I am assuming here, I believe only a small minority of Americans have any idea what's happening on Wall Street and what could come of our problems. Because of this, I feel like this question is irrelevant. Besides, the two candidates also have a DUTY to serve in the senate. The American people will benefit more from resolving this meltdown than from hearing a single debate that could easily be held at another time.

If Friday's presidential debate does not take place, would that be good for America? Bad for America? Or would it make no difference?
Postponing a debate "bad for America"? Where do they come up with this ****?

Beyond that, this poll came out what, minutes after he announced this? By me, he is doing the responsible thing and I'm sure(hoping) that Obama will commend him for this and also join him.

The website even says
Opinions can and should be expected to change as news events unfold.
Pretty illegitimate poll in my opinion. Debates and campaigns are puppet shows anyways, do they really matter or have any effect on informed voters?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's funny is a guy that can't multi-task a senate vote and a debate that would take up a couple hours of his time -- yet want's to be president.

He was trending horribly when it came to public perception of his ability to handle the economy - especially among independants.

This was a stunt and nothing more. He had hoped to make Obama look bad for not suspending his own campaign, but thankfully the public sees right through this lame move.

I think what is funny is that you actually associate the "public" with about 1000 (oops) votes on an issue that just happened 3 hours ago.

I know how much you hate McCain/Palin, but maybe you want to give it a bit more time to make a judgement on how the American public think.

Just bottle that hate for a little while longer :lol:

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
This is a strategic move by McCain, and it is pretty surprising to see how he remains one step ahead of Obama strategy wise.

If Obama doesn't also suspend his campaign it will look as though he is putting personal aspiration before the welfare of his country. If he does suspend his campaign it will look like he is a day late and a dollar short.

If McCain goes to this thing and takes a populist position, and tells Bernanke and Paulson to go sodomize each other he will come off smelling like a rose.

Arrogant

Arrogant

Awards
I think what is funny is that you actually associate the "public" with about 50 votes on an issue that just happened 3 hours ago.

I know how much you hate McCain/Palin, but maybe you want to give it a bit more time to make a judgement on how the American public think.

Just bottle that hate for a little while longer :lol:
Please explain what McCain will do, besides grandstand and bring his campaign to capital hill, by NOT going to the debate?

Two hours. The guy can't take two hours to TELL AMERICA what he plans on doing to right the ship that he had a big hand in sinking..

It's especially funny that the conservative GOP base is waiting to pounce on him for even thinking about voting for a bailout. I'd love to see him vote (yet again) with Dubya on this issue.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
why would he suspend such a critical debate? if he's serious about trying to help this situation then the best he can do is present his ideas during this debate... he does not yet have the power to solve this in an office somewhere.

McCain, go and debate your ideas!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a strategic move by McCain, and it is pretty surprising to see how he remains one step ahead of Obama strategy wise.

If Obama doesn't also suspend his campaign it will look as though he is putting personal aspiration before the welfare of his country. If he does suspend his campaign it will look like he is a day late and a dollar short.

If McCain goes to this thing and takes a populist position, and tells Bernanke and Paulson to go sodomize each other he will come off smelling like a rose.
I agree, I think Obama will need to do the same, but also push for the debate to happen. They both need to head back to Washington as neither has voted on anything since April. However, I think the debate needs to go forward as well, as it would be nice to have a platform to hear the two possible Presidents discuss what they might do on the economy. I mean hell that is the #1 issue for voters right now

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Please explain what McCain will do, besides grandstand and bring his campaign to capital hill, by NOT going to the debate?

Two hours. The guy can't take two hours to TELL AMERICA what he plans on doing to right the ship that he had a big hand in sinking..

It's especially funny that the conservative GOP base is waiting to pounce on him for even thinking about voting for a bailout. I'd love to see him vote (yet again) with Dubya on this issue.

You think anyone knows how to right the ship? You think Obama will explicitly spell out a plan to shape things up? Do you think McCain would be able to?? Riiiiight. The brightest minds in the financials sector (smarter than both candidates btw) have no ide what to do.

If they don't figure out this stupid 'bail out' bill, America could be shoulder deep in **** come election day.

You act like this will be the only chance the American people EVER get to hear about the candidates' plans. Washington is more important than 1 debate-

ESPECIALLY ONE THAT WILL BE RESCHEDULED

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I just find it hilarious that you get so bent out of shape over this.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
He was trending horribly when it came to public perception of his ability to handle the economy - especially among independants./QUOTE]

McCain also called for Congress to look into Fannie and Freddy because there were accounting and regulatory issues...in 2005.

That seems like a good sense foresight to me.

Just yesterday, Harry Reid said that McCain's input was important and they needed him, today he said it was a photo op.:think:

McCain has also said before he'd rather lose the Presidency than lose a war. I think we can add he'd rather lose the Presidency then allow the country to suffer economically.

COUNTRY FIRST! :head:

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
He was trending horribly when it came to public perception of his ability to handle the economy - especially among independants./QUOTE]

McCain also called for Congress to look into Fannie and Freddy because there were accounting and regulatory issues...in 2005.

That seems like a good sense foresight to me.

Just yesterday, Harry Reid said that McCain's input was important and they needed him, today he said it was a photo op.:think:

McCain has also said before he'd rather lose the Presidency than lose a war. I think we can add he'd rather lose the Presidency then allow the country to suffer economically.

COUNTRY FIRST! :head:

Bullsh!t, If this situation was reversed all of you would be talking about how the Left is so afraid of losing the election. In this day and age of instant communication, there is no need for the campaign to be suspended. The fact is this is a way to johnny come lately the fact that John McCain is out of touch and he is trying to catch up. They were probably giving him blood thinners to keep the top of his head from coming off. Get Real, Campaigns have gone on through wars, I'm sure his campaign could figure this out.

:bruce3:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its Sarah Palins fault.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Its odd to consider someone actually cares about the economy and not just their own personal agenda.. Isnt that the job of a president/potential...?

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Its Sarah Palins fault.
JP, I love when you bring levity to the situation:lol:

Btw, I don't know if you heard, when she was in New york she saw rats for the 1st time and had them shot and skinned for the trip back home.:run:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
JP, I love when you bring levity to the situation:lol:

Btw, I don't know if you heard, when she was in New york she saw rats for the 1st time and had them shot and skinned for the trip back home.:run:

Charlie Rangle is dead?

Mo250

Awards
The only reasons for any candidate to unilaterally suspend campaigning in the face of such a serious calamity would be the conviction that the winner of the dog and pony show will have no way to solve it anyway, that the result is unimportant to the future direction of the country -- that it really is just a popularity contest with no relevance to the fundamental direction of the country -- a conviction that the fundamental attitudes of both candidates are so similar that it doesn't matter who's elected anyway.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'll pay good money to see everyone responsible for this sh*t to get raped with a fire extinguisher covered in sand paper and lined with alcohol.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll pay good money to see everyone responsible for this sh*t to get raped with a fire extinguisher covered in sand paper and lined with alcohol.

The list would be very large.

Considering the speech I just saw, without some miracle, I dont see McCain winning this at all now.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The list would be very large.

Considering the speech I just saw, without some miracle, I dont see McCain winning this at all now.
Don't worry I can get enough supplies for everyone :smite:

Who do you think is gonna handle the economy better? why?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i think this is a perfect situation. which candidate can bring about a bipartisan solution that suits both sides building consensus, and protecting the american public? isnt that what both of them say they will do as president? so heres the chance to prove whether they are even capable of bipartisan action, which we all know obama isnt. except comically in this situation obama would be more likely to have the win as mccain would like to see the bailout killed. so im glad obama isnt going back to dc. i wonder if he'll debate himself on tv?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Partisanship and political jabbing aside (which I do often and is fun), neither of these guys are qualified. Carly Fiorina was right. None of these candidates are qualified to run a major company. This is what happens when you have politicians dictate economic policy. Its the same thing that happens when politicians run a war. Its a disaster.

Whats really sad is that the majorty of the public blame Republicans for this. They do have blame..not disputing that...but many of the guys who took sweetheart deals got booted out in 2006. They simply aren't there and not the root cause. The scary and saddest thing of all is the same people that pumped up Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, the people who pushed the agenda for getting lower income people and people with bad credit a fair shot at loans, are the same ones you see now telling you they are going to fix it...and 99% of them are Democrats. Thats not partisan, its just a fact. Democrats control Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and the creation of subprime was a Democrat ideology... Republicans have oil and thats another story.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established

They will handle it exactly the same. There aren't very many options for this fix.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Warren Buffett: We are facing financial Pearl Harbor.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

mccain obviously. What do you think corporations will do when their taxes go up? cut costs by lowering wages or laying off people, and raise prices. Given the % of middle class income that goes towards non-housing related expenses, i'd say the middle class will be worse off by raising corporate taxes. Unemployment will climb, and so will inflation. Sounds just great, and all of us middle class families will get a WHOPPING $20 a week in tax credit. You heard that right, $20 whole dollars a week. Just think what a difference that will make!

The reverse is true as well. Less corporate taxes means more spare dollars for corporations to invest in themselves and growth, meaning more jobs. Actually even 10x moreso right now. So theres a credit crunch and it may be difficult for businesses to get credit to finance expansion. The perfect time for a lower corporate tax so those companies have cash to do the expansion with instead.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Someone once referred to Obama followers as sheep. Well lemmings, your cliff is coming, Enjoy the dive.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Someone once referred to Obama followers as sheep. Well lemmings, your cliff is coming, Enjoy the dive.

I don't think you quite understand the cliff is created by the earth disapppearing under your feet.

Obama is meeting tomorrow in Washington with everyone else. This is bigger than both of them.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the insight.

You people seem to know your sh*t when it comes to politics, I feel like I'm stepping in a pitch black area and quick sand, hate politics.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you quite understand the cliff is created by the earth disapppearing under your feet.

Obama is meeting tomorrow in Washington with everyone else. This is bigger than both of them.
Agreed, actually it's bigger than all of us.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Joe Biden explained this the best.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glrnb_G34E4"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with this and can you imagine if Palin said this?

This one is by far, the best one he's done to date. :lol:

Give up? First, it was Hoover, not Roosevelt. Second, there were no TV's in 1929.

Classic Biden.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
give yourself a pat on the back if you voted bush back in the second time, lol.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Do you mean because he warned congress about Fannie and Freddie and yet no one did anything about it?
I am astounded how far the mighty have fallen. Introspection may prove that the current status is valid or understandable with a "we did what we had to do attitude". From afar it looks like a bed shatting, and it stinks so bad i wish i was farther away. Whom stands to benefit the most i always wonder?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

You people seem to know your sh*t when it comes to politics, I feel like I'm stepping in a pitch black area and quick sand, hate politics.
Could not agree more! Hate blinds!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
mccain obviously. What do you think corporations will do when their taxes go up? cut costs by lowering wages or laying off people, and raise prices. Given the % of middle class income that goes towards non-housing related expenses, i'd say the middle class will be worse off by raising corporate taxes. Unemployment will climb, and so will inflation. Sounds just great, and all of us middle class families will get a WHOPPING $20 a week in tax credit. You heard that right, $20 whole dollars a week. Just think what a difference that will make!

The reverse is true as well. Less corporate taxes means more spare dollars for corporations to invest in themselves and growth, meaning more jobs. Actually even 10x moreso right now. So theres a credit crunch and it may be difficult for businesses to get credit to finance expansion. The perfect time for a lower corporate tax so those companies have cash to do the expansion with instead.
Unfortunately, Economics is one of those areas where we all claim expertise. With so many pseudo-experts around, things are bound to go wrong. And get worse!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unfortunately, Economics is one of those areas where we all claim expertise. With so many pseudo-experts around, things are bound to go wrong. And get worse!
I'm not talking from vague theory from afar, i'm talking about my own life. I made around xxxk last year, and after taxes got to keep around xxx of it. If i get stuck paying another 12k in taxes, thats $1000 a month I have to make up for somehow. So i'll likely stop paying for lawncare (around $100 a month), go out to eat even less often than now (2-3 times a month), be less likely to go to concerts and sporting events as well as not hiring a babysitter, and still be forced to raise the price of my professional services to make up for the rest. So this has direct impact on the people whose services I no longer use, and in lawn care alone the amount that is lost by me no longer using them is greater than the additional $20 a week that obama's low end tax credit will give them. I'm not the only person in this situation, and so from the longer term impact of the waste of the tax dollars by the horrible way the government uses it and the layers of beaurocracy, it ends up being a net loss for the population as it will stunt growth, and hurt many small business owners.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
All partisan stuff aside, what is the ramifications of no bailout vs a bailout. Obviously the deficit grows if there is a bailout, but what happens if there isn't?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Business' can't acquire the money they need for basic operations.

Probably double digit, some say 20% unemployment.

Joe Average with a 740 FICO score can't buy a car unless he writes a check for the whole thing..that is if he still has a job.

Budgets get cut across the board for just about everything.

Soup kitchen lines in urban areas become a tourist attraction because of their size.

That's a basic view of it.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Business' can't acquire the money they need for basic operations.

Probably double digit, some say 20% unemployment.

Joe Average with a 740 FICO score can't buy a car unless he writes a check for the whole thing..that is if he still has a job.

Budgets get cut across the board for just about everything.

Soup kitchen lines in urban areas become a tourist attraction because of their size.

That's a basic view of it.
Is that if AIG isn't bailed out, or all the companies?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, that has nothing to do with AIG. This has to do with the 700 billion to buy the bad mortgage backed securities and take them off the banks books.

Its basically choking the credit market to death.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
No, that has nothing to do with AIG. This has to do with the 700 billion to buy the bad mortgage backed securities and take them off the banks books.

Its basically choking the credit market to death.
I need to read up on this more. Let me see if I can try to understand this:

A couple investment banks have already gone under (Bears Stearns, Lehman), and the rest are at risk if the US Gov't doesn't buy their bad mortgages? Was Fannie/Freddie previously buying their bad mortgages?

Work with me here...I need to get smarter on this stuff.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I need to read up on this more. Let me see if I can try to understand this:

A couple investment banks have already gone under (Bears Stearns, Lehman), and the rest are at risk if the US Gov't doesn't buy their bad mortgages? Was Fannie/Freddie previously buying their bad mortgages?

Work with me here...I need to get smarter on this stuff.

Fannie and Freddie sold bundles of these mortgages to investors, then those investors sold them to other people in the form of mortgage backed securities, then that buyer has them insured through companies like AIG, etc....it was basically flipping large loan packages based on the idea that house values would increase.

Then the original loans went into default because the people couldn't pay them, the value of the properties dropped, and the whole house of cards fell apart. You basically built this house of cards on sub prime loans and the idea that prices would continue to rise.

Now all these people who have the mortgage backed securities on their books have extremely bad credit ratings and basically can't borrow or lend and these are the institutions who lend money to large business's who constantly use credit lines for inventory, payroll, growth, etc...

This isn't just banks that did this. Pension funds, investment banks, insurance carriers, etc...all bought this stuff as an "investment".

And that's a very simplistic way of looking at it...

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Fannie and Freddie sold bundles of these mortgages to investors, then those investors sold them to other people in the form of mortgage backed securities, then that buyer has them insured through companies like AIG, etc....it was basically flipping large loan packages based on the idea that house values would increase.

Then the original loans went into default because the people couldn't pay them, the value of the properties dropped, and the whole house of cards fell apart. You basically built this house of cards on sub prime loans and the idea that prices would continue to rise.

Now all these people who have the mortgage backed securities on their books have extremely bad credit ratings and basically can't borrow or lend and these are the institutions who lend money to large business's who constantly use credit lines for inventory, payroll, growth, etc...

This isn't just banks that did this. Pension funds, investment banks, insurance carriers, etc...all bought this stuff as an "investment".

And that's a very simplistic way of looking at it...
So basically the US Gov't buys up all the bad mortgages and everything starts fresh?

Anyway I can I get them to buy up my mortgage? That way I can buy a new house without taking a $70,000 bath through selling :think: