Fact Checking NBC: SNL Palin Incest Skit

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Fact Checking NBC: SNL Palin Incest Skit


    WTF....I hope no one has the audacity to defend that skit. You can say it was poking fun at the NY Times, but there is a line of good taste and it was utterly ignored.

    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRXQ2ZueP5c"]YouTube - Saturday Night Live Todd Palin - Incest Smear[/nomedia]

    This was the only video of it I could find.


  2. Nobody wants to talk about this? Not many things leave me speechless, but when I heard about this I was completely speechless.
    •   
       


  3. I can remember when skits like this were taboo... I liked T.V. a lot more then.
    Without picking a side, I will say that it was poor taste and I don't think that it was funny.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lungz View Post
    I can remember when skits like this were taboo... I liked T.V. a lot more then.
    Without picking a side, I will say that it was poor taste and I don't think that it was funny.
    I guess what shocked me is that I thought they still were taboo!

  5. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    I guess what shocked me is that I thought they still were taboo!
    Sadly, it's not. Without getting in to the politics of it, the freedom of expression/free thought is being taken to the maximum. It's all about how far the envelope can be pushed now.
    •   
       


  6. certain things are off limits, and this should be one of them. There are too many times where things go overboard, pathetic
    Mr. Supps Board Rep

  7. You guys are really worried about a skit on saturday night live? There is no more pressing issues we could be debating than a satirical news conference from a moving picture box thats existence is only to sell commercials?

    How about if you replaced palins husband with Earl Higgins from arkansas, still not funny?

  8. Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    You guys are really worried about a skit on saturday night live? There is no more pressing issues we could be debating than a satirical news conference from a moving picture box thats existence is only to sell commercials?

    How about if you replaced palins husband with Earl Higgins from arkansas, still not funny?
    Calling a parent and the spouse of a Vice Presidential candidate a pedophile on national TV without basis is disgusting not satirical.

    I can't believe this barely even made the news anywhere other than on conservative talk radio. Just shows who is deciding on what is newsworthy.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Calling a parent and the spouse of a Vice Presidential candidate a pedophile on national TV without basis is disgusting not satirical.
    The news conference was satirical, the comments were irreverant, but like I said: T.V. isnt real, it exists in it of itself, purely for economic revenue, as do radio stations, they have a target market and they play whatever they need to, to get viewers. Which in turns allows them to charge a higher price for advertising time.

    If you think this is bad, you would riot in the streets over south park.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    The news conference was satirical, the comments were irreverant, but like I said: T.V. isnt real, it exists in it of itself, purely for economic revenue, as do radio stations, they have a target market and they play whatever they need to, to get viewers. Which in turns allows them to charge a higher price for advertising time.

    If you think this is bad, you would riot in the streets over south park.
    I disagree that its purely for economic revenue. If that were true don't you think another network would go a little less to the left and try and compete with Fox News. Their ratings utterly destroy every other cable news network in every demographic? You said it was all about the revenue.

    Cable News Nielsen TV Ratings for Tuesday, September 16, 2008

  11. I'm not an investment banker, I cant say why certain financial decisions are made.

    But its not up for discussion whether T.V. is a for profit enterprise, its a fact. T.V. isn't the peace corp, its a business.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    I'm not an investment banker, I cant say why certain financial decisions are made.

    But its not up for discussion whether T.V. is a for profit enterprise, its a fact. T.V. isn't the peace corp, its a business.
    Why is it not up for discussion? You said TV made its decision off what makes them the most money, like it was a fact.

    I showed you that cable news networks were not doing what makes them the most money. I'd say they are either incompetent or they are basing their decisions on something other than money.

  13. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

    - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

    That simple.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

    - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

    That simple.
    I didn't say or even hint that NBC should not be allowed to say it, I just said I thought it was over the line of good taste and NBC should apologize to the Palins.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Why is it not up for discussion? You said TV made its decision off what makes them the most money, like it was a fact.

    I showed you that cable news networks were not doing what makes them the most money. I'd say they are either incompetent or they are basing their decisions on something other than money.

    It is a fact. Each cable network does what it feels will appeal to their target market, that doesn't mean they have to succeed, it just means thats how things are done.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    It is a fact. Each cable network does what it feels will appeal to their target market, that doesn't mean they have to succeed, it just means thats how things are done.
    If its a fact, prove it.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    If its a fact, prove it.
    Ok: What TV channel doesnt sell advertising?

  18. Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    Ok: What TV channel doesnt sell advertising?
    HBO, Showtime.....

    I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't mean they're not willing to sacrifice profits to promote a candidate or ideal.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    I didn't say or even hint that NBC should not be allowed to say it, I just said I thought it was over the line of good taste and NBC should apologize to the Palins.
    Exactly; I suppose I should have clarified further, Rob. The debate seemed to be leading towards the inevitable, "This should not have been allowed to air". Whether or not this would have been an eventual legal discussion is debatable; however, morally - at the very least - this was the insinuation!

  20. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Exactly; I suppose I should have clarified further, Rob. The debate seemed to be leading towards the inevitable, "This should not have been allowed to air". Whether or not this would have been an eventual legal discussion is debatable; however, morally - at the very least - this was the insinuation!
    I don't think it should have been allowed to air, I think NBC should have policed themselves. I can't remember ever hearing about anything on TV being more blantantly offensive to an individual.

    That being said, I don't believe its the FCC's role to step in and censor it. It was on late at night which is the appropriate time for more racy material.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    HBO, Showtime.....

    I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't mean they're not willing to sacrifice profits to promote a candidate or ideal.
    Subscription costs = purely for profit. Thats why they are "premium channels", that extra fee goes to them. And last time I had HBO i thought they ran infrequent commercials? I dont remember its been like 8-9 yrs since I had it.

    I dont honestly believe there is a channel out there that isnt carefully scripted by the managers overseeing the writers. Case in point is bill o'reilly vs daily show. 2 very different target markets that they attract with a similar marketing plan. Making viewers happy = more viewers= money.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    Subscription costs = purely for profit. Thats why they are "premium channels", that extra fee goes to them. And last time I had HBO i thought they ran infrequent commercials? I dont remember its been like 8-9 yrs since I had it.
    I know, was just sayin...

    Quote Originally Posted by futurepilot View Post
    I dont honestly believe there is a channel out there that isnt carefully scripted by the managers overseeing the writers. Case in point is bill o'reilly vs daily show. 2 very different target markets that they attract with a similar marketing plan. Making viewers happy = more viewers= money.
    The only way you'd know would be to have someone on the inside. At this point all we can do is speculate.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    I don't think it should have been allowed to air, I think NBC should have policed themselves.
    This sentence is the indexical for my previous proposition! Without morphing this into another epistemological debate, this statement necessarily expresses that NBC "should not have" aired the skit.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    This sentence is the indexical for my previous proposition! Without morphing this into another epistemological debate, this statement necessarily expresses that NBC "should not have" aired the skit.
    Agreed, this one is definitely not worth an epistemological debate! I thought you were talking about government censorship when you said "should not have aired".

  25. I have to disagree on this one. Freedom of speech is absolute. Somewhere along the way the right to free speech got confused with the right to not be offended. As far as I know, most tv's come with a remote or some form of device for channel manipulation if you find something offensive. If you don't like it, employ them. I saw it as completely satyrical. At no point did I think they were actually accusing them of incest. It was more of a swipe at journalist/media. To me, it was no more offensive than the blatant lies and insults told to us thru the candidates campaign ads.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. CNN fact checks SNL
    By Jayhawkk in forum Politics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
  2. Fact-Checking Palin: On Energy
    By BodyWizard in forum Politics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 02:10 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 08:13 PM
  4. Sarah Palin Speech Facts!
    By EESCHMan in forum Politics
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 01:48 PM
  5. Fun Fact...marshmellows good for you?
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2002, 04:16 AM
Log in
Log in