Freedom of Assembly? I think not...

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Quite frankly I'm outraged by all of the facist tactics used to prevent dissent and protesting in general.

They even shutdown Rage Against the Machine who had a legal liscence to play where they were.

"After all, if you don't want the FBI spying on you, or the Police surrounding and then invading your home with rifles and seizing your computers, there's a very simple solution: don't protest the Government. Just sit quietly in your house and mind your own business. That way, the Government will have no reason to monitor what you say and feel the need to intimidate you by invading your home. Anyone who decides to protest -- especially with something as unruly and disrespectful as an unauthorized street march -- gets what they deserve."

Federal government involved in raids on protesters - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quite frankly I'm outraged by all of the facist tactics used to prevent dissent and protesting in general.

They even shutdown Rage Against the Machine who had a legal liscence to play where they were.

"After all, if you don't want the FBI spying on you, or the Police surrounding and then invading your home with rifles and seizing your computers, there's a very simple solution: don't protest the Government. Just sit quietly in your house and mind your own business. That way, the Government will have no reason to monitor what you say and feel the need to intimidate you by invading your home. Anyone who decides to protest -- especially with something as unruly and disrespectful as an unauthorized street march -- gets what they deserve."

Federal government involved in raids on protesters - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com
You have GOT to be kidding me. The Rage protest was getting out of control, and subsequently store owners windows were being broken. Should we infringe on the store owners rights, and let them continue? The only time a Protest gets shut down if it becomes dangerous, like when that pink lady, or whatever they are called rushed the stage during Palin's speech. The dangerous protests is a leftist thing, there were TONS of protests at the DNC as well, but somehow the protesters knew how to keep civil.

Avenged Sevenfold said it best in their song 'Critical Acclaim':
All the way from the east to the west
We've got this high society looking down on this very foundation
Constantly reminding us that our actions are the cause of all their problems
Pointing the fingers in every direction
Blaming their own nation for who wins elections
They've never contributed a fukking thing to the country they love to criticize.

Adams

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
There's a difference between protecting people, and spying on people and setting them up, just to arrest them for no reason.

If people want to protest, let them. There is a ton of video footage showing how even peaceful protestors are getting arrested for no reason, and at their own homes no less. This is out of control.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
There's a difference between protecting people, and spying on people and setting them up, just to arrest them for no reason.

If people want to protest, let them. There is a ton of video footage showing how even peaceful protestors are getting arrested for no reason, and at their own homes no less. This is out of control.
I'd like to see a video of a peaceful protester who hasn't broken the law be firstly spied on and then arrested in their own home.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to see a video of a peaceful protester who hasn't broken the law be firstly spied on and then arrested in their own home.

The reason I even posted this is because there are a ton of articles documenting this. There are a ton of videos on youtube and other watchdog sites. It's not hard to find.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
The reason I even posted this is because there are a ton of articles documenting this. There are a ton of videos on youtube and other watchdog sites. It's not hard to find.
So find me one :thumbsup:

I'd love to see a peaceful protested marching in their designated routes during their designated time slot be brutally attacked.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like a publicity stunt.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
They told her not to cross the line of where protesters aren't supposed to be and she tried to, so she was arrested. Definitely seems fascist and completely brutal :lol:

Freedom of press does not mean you get to go where you want and directly disobey police order.

PS- I was at the rage concert and the concert they were supposed to have. People were acting retaded and it was the right thing to shut it down.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
PS- I was at the rage concert and the concert they were supposed to have. People were acting retaded and it was the right thing to shut it down.
So your a big Rage fan and you were appalled at the level of social discourse going on?.....viva la revolution, aye comrade?

dangerous protests is a leftist thing

You cant believe that's true, I mean honestly I hope you dont really believe that.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I can understand people having different opinions on things. But some of you guys are die hard... true believers. I mean, what would you have to see to believe something?

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
I can understand people having different opinions on things. But some of you guys are die hard... true believers. I mean, what would you have to see to believe something?
Somebody listening to police being arrested,

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
The entire thing, start to finish, without some lefty news site allowing the accuser to say whatever she wants. Or maybe some ACTUAL, CREDIBLE media covering a story like that. I think even some of the most leftist newspapers and television stations would be airing stuff like this if it were true. Or is Katie Couric scared of being kidnapped?

So your a big Rage fan and you were appalled at the level of social discourse going on?.....viva la revolution, aye comrade?
More of less appalled at the level of stupidity of many of the protesters. This isn't 1775 were the government and the citizens have equal force. Riots dont work, never have and never will. If they want to do something about it they should be sensible, find an educated advocate and enact change through the right pathways. If Obama can go from a ghetto crack smoking chicago teen to presidential candidate, surely some of these masked cocktail throwers can be a little bit more productive with their time.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Common practice to do undercover work on possible rioting situations, especially when dealing with government officials.... Nothing new or out of the ordinary. If you're going to protest then don't be an idiot and do things or go places you're told not to do/go. Protests can get ugly and turn bad in a heartbeat if proper precautions and measures aren't taken to prevent them.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
More of less appalled at the level of stupidity of many of the protesters. This isn't 1775 were the government and the citizens have equal force. Riots dont work, never have and never will. If they want to do something about it they should be sensible, find an educated advocate and enact change through the right pathways. If Obama can go from a ghetto crack smoking chicago teen to presidential candidate, surely some of these masked cocktail throwers can be a little bit more productive with their time.

wow

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Common practice to do undercover work on possible rioting situations, especially when dealing with government officials.... Nothing new or out of the ordinary. If you're going to protest then don't be an idiot and do things or go places you're told not to do/go. Protests can get ugly and turn bad in a heartbeat if proper precautions and measures aren't taken to prevent them.
Strait from the horses mouth. Jay deals with this type of stuff. My dealings of it was in Iraq... so my idea is a little twisted. :D

Adams

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Boy your asking for it opening this thread. Did you see the video of the report getting knocked down? Too bad no one mentioned the reporter was wearing a shirt with radical messages supporting the protest. lol...

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
T

Maybe you can go from being a loud mouthed closet racist who thinks they know what they're talking about to some real knowledge. WTF have you accomplished, maybe YOU should smoke something and learn the facts and stop spouting things you THINK you know.

There are others on this site who don't agree with Obama and don't wish to see him in the presidency but, they keep their arguments on-board, you might want to try that.

:bruce3:

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
This has nothing to do with supporting a canidate or anyones message. It's the principle of being able to express yourself. From what I've seen, that right is being trampled on.

This also has nothing to do with the police or soldier's or anyone like that. They are just following orders, and I'm sure have good intentions. But I do believe someone higher has an agenda to shut people up, and their message. This is also why these stories get zero coverage other than putting protestors in the same catagory as terrorists. And it goes beyond CNN/FOX NEWS are liberals or conservatives. The networks are controlled by the same corporate media, and they are corporations. Most of these protestors are anti-corporation. (good film about corporations from another perspective: http://www.thecorporation.com/ )

The people in the video are hardly radicals. They are soft spoken and peacefully protest their message. You're trying to marginalize protestors into being radicals.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you can go from being a loud mouthed closet racist who thinks they know what they're talking about to some real knowledge. WTF have you accomplished, maybe YOU should smoke something and learn the facts and stop spouting things you THINK you know.

There are others on this site who don't agree with Obama and don't wish to see him in the presidency but, they keep their arguments on-board, you might want to try that.

Oh so I'm a racist because I don't support Obama and I think protesting and rioting is stupid? Whatever you say. I guess all Obama desenters are racist hate mongers. I didn't state any facts either, beyond the Obama smoking crack part, which is true.

This has nothing to do with supporting a canidate or anyones message. It's the principle of being able to express yourself. From what I've seen, that right is being trampled on.

This also has nothing to do with the police or soldier's or anyone like that. They are just following orders, and I'm sure have good intentions. But I do believe someone higher has an agenda to shut people up, and their message. This is also why these stories get zero coverage other than putting protestors in the same catagory as terrorists. And it goes beyond CNN/FOX NEWS are liberals or conservatives. The networks are controlled by the same corporate media, and they are corporations. Most of these protestors are anti-corporation. (good film about corporations from another perspective: The Corporation Film: Welcome )

The people in the video are hardly radicals. They are soft spoken and peacefully protest their message. You're trying to marginalize protestors into being radicals.

Sorry but the networks are NOT controlled by the same organization. Neither are all of the newspapers. The two most liberal papers in the country haven't said anything about this, but I suppose they're controlled by the same 'right wing neocons' huh?

Last edited:
Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Oh so I'm a racist because I don't support Obama and I think protesting and rioting is stupid? Whatever you say. I guess all Obama desenters are racist hate mongers. I didn't state any facts either, beyond the Obama smoking crack part, which is true.

1. Do you actually know what crack cocaine is?(go look it up now) 2. Obama was not a youth in Chicago. You're taking something you heard and are now running with it.

I'm not asking you to support Obama but I am asking that the low-brow comments stop.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established

1. Do you actually know what crack cocaine is?(go look it up now) 2. Obama was not a youth in Chicago. You're taking something you heard and are now running with it.

I'm not asking you to support Obama but I am asking that the low-brow comments stop.

My apologies for mistaking crack for heroin. I also apologies for not knowing where he did in fact smoke it as a young man.

Jay- ghetto crack smoking is not racist what so ever. I can't even imagine how someone would consider it so.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Nothing in Rugger's post made me think, "RACIST!" unless you've got a preemptive state of mind SEARCHING for any reason to confirm innate presumptions. Who's doing the low-browing?

You've got the angriest tone of any of these posts, yet you're the one calling for more civility. That's interesting.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
By the way, I'm not picking a fight, so I have no interest in arguing back & forth with you.

Just so we're clear, "not a racist"

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
My apologies for mistaking crack for heroin. I also apologies for not knowing where he did in fact smoke it as a young man.

Jay- ghetto crack smoking is not racist what so ever. I can't even imagine how someone would consider it so.

Where ever you got that information is wrong Obama's EXACT quote was:

"Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it," wrote Obama about what he would later say were "bad decisions".

That quote is directly from the book that he wrote. Now where you got crack from, I don't know. Smoking crack is a TOTALLY different thing than doing a line or two of cocaine.

You obviously do not know what you are talking about.

There a lot of people who you probably look up to that did a line or 2 of cocaine or smoked a joint during college and don't give me that crap that they are not running for president because a lot of them have and are are sitting in positions of great importance today. As we have found out over the years, NOBODY is perfect. Making the mistake is one thing, correcting the mistake is the important thing.

I consider Cindy McCain to be a woman of class and grace yet she had a major drug problem, should she be stained by that for the rest of her life, NO and your comment about Obama is just wrong.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
By the way, I'm not picking a fight, so I have no interest in arguing back & forth with you.

Just so we're clear, "not a racist"
That's cool, you have your view of the situation and I have mine. That we may disagree is quite alright but This goes a little further than what you read into it.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this has got to be a joke. I mean afterall you are "left leaning" :rolleyes:

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Where ever you got that information is wrong Obama's EXACT quote was:

"Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it," wrote Obama about what he would later say were "bad decisions".

That quote is directly from the book that he wrote. Now where you got crack from, I don't know. Smoking crack is a TOTALLY different thing than doing a line or two of cocaine.

There a lot of people who you probably look up to that did a line or 2 of cocaine or smoked a joint during college and don't give me that crap that they are not running for president because a lot of them have and are are sitting in positions of great importance today. As we have found out over the years, NOBODY is perfect. Making the mistake is one thing, correcting the mistake is the important thing.

I consider Cindy McCain to be a woman of class and grace yet she had a major drug problem, should she be stained by that for the rest of her life, NO and your comment about Obama is just wrong.

You got me, I don't know my drug lingo. And if I found out the people I look up to were drug users, I would seriously have to reevaluate their character and my relationship with them. If they had enough baggage that was still with them, like Obama and McCain do, I would probably distance myself from them. You make it seem like I'm a republican :icon_lol:

this has got to be a joke. I mean afterall you are "left leaning" :rolleyes:
What, a liberal can't sling some mud? You're no fun.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
You got me, I don't know my drug lingo. And if I found out the people I look up to were drug users, I would seriously have to reevaluate their character and my relationship with them. If they had enough baggage that was still with them, like Obama and McCain do, I would probably distance myself from them. You make it seem like I'm a republican :icon_lol:

What, a liberal can't sling some mud? You're no fun.

The point I'm trying to make here is I don't know how old you are or about your life experience. The fact is a lot of people make mistakes when they're young. If you have been able to steer clear of getting drunk or high even once, more power to you however, those mistakes that others have made shouldn't own the rest of their lives and we should not judge those mistakes unless they're still making them.

I have been a mental health and drug counselor and quite a few of the people I worked with including administrators came into that line of work as a result of overcoming problems that they had. Those folks were the most effective in helping others because they knew the pain of addiction and also exactly the effort it would take to beat the addiction. Learning from mistakes sometimes becomes a major character builder for future endeavors.

What you don't like about Obama doesn't bother me in the least, say what you will. That comment just hit me the wrong way.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Looks like a bunch of f*** a$$ civilians that need to disciplined and be taught how to obey orders.

You don't follow an order, you pay, very simple. The people in the video look like a bunch of anarchist idiots, they should all be charged with breach of peace.

No wonder there is so much chaos in society and our country, people can't seem to obey basic commands like they should...... and then they make videos about THEIR inability to follow orders and then they wonder why the police get involved....:rolleyes:

Only in America do riots and protests occur almost everyday and the government still doesn't declare Martial Law.

Once it's implemented, crime will be less, streets will be safer, less accidents, etc...etc....

Martial law is basically laws being enforced the way they should be, all the lax laws on immigration, terrorists getting rights in Guantanamo, etc..... is leading to a break of our system which can only be repaired by Martial Law.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Smoking crack is a TOTALLY different thing than doing a line or two of cocaine.

either way he was doing drugs, do we have to argue about what it was? I am not condemning him for it, but why make a case about which drugs he was doing?

i.e., burglary is TOTALLY different from armed robbery.

True, but both are crimes. Oh, but the burglar is a kinder/gentler criminal . . . :trout:

I agree that all people make mistakes, but you are nitpicking!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah there is a huge distinction between crack and pot. Think there's a difference between injecting insulin and shooting up heroine? This isn't the Bible where Sin is Sin. There are differences in crime.

And I didn't call you racist but read your post and could read where you could of been making racial toned derogatory statements. Whether it was or not is only something you'd know but the fact that I was able to pick it out pretty easily when another person questioned intent, shows how text can be misread, if not said clearly enough.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
either way he was doing drugs, do we have to argue about what it was? I am not condemning him for it, but why make a case about which drugs he was doing?

True, but both are crimes. Oh, but the burglar is a kinder/gentler criminal . . . :trout:

I gotta say here I disagree with you. There is a huge difference bewtween pot/crack and heroin. Rugger invoked both crack and heroin with Obama, which is not true.

Hell, I dont know anyone who has not tried pot in their life, so I do think a huge distinction should be made.

Personally, I think Rugger is just trying to stir up some nonsense for the fun of it. I dont see him sitting around his house twisting his curly mustache with a pointy white hood in the background. He never has struck me that way, although I could see where his comments might strike someone that way.

Ok rambling over :)

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Only in America do riots and protests occur almost everyday and the government still doesn't declare Martial Law.

Are you high on crack/heroin/pot?

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Personally, I think Rugger is just trying to stir up some nonsense for the fun of it. I dont see him sitting around his house twisting his curly mustache with a pointy white hood in the background. He never has struck me that way, although I could see where his comments might strike someone that way.
No no, it's not KKK gear, he was dressed up as a ghost.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established

To a person who has never done any drugs or knows anyone who has done any drugs or ever seen anything about drugs (this excludes maybe 5% of the population), the discussion of what type of drug used might be nitpicking. however the affect and effect of crack cocaine vs most other drugs is the difference between pulling a gun out on someone vs putting two bullets in the head of someone. One may get you in trouble, the other will get you life in prison or death.

All drugs including alcohol and cigarettes (which contain the most insidious drug nicotine) that the smoking of kills more people than all other drugs combined have consequential potential. So in that sense I understand where your comment comes from. But there is a gigantic difference between being a "ghetto crack smoking teen" and a young man that briefly experimented with admittedly illegal substances.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's still a freaking marxist socialist either way, and shouldnt be president, and that as well has nothing to do with freedom of assembly :D

I think a lot of times people/groups either get out of hand, or purposefully try to goad the police into action as they are protesting "the heavy hand of government". So they want self justification for their viewpoint.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Back on topic....were these the same "peaceful protesters" who hurled feces at the Republican delegates?

That lady who got arrested in the video repeatedly did not follow instructions from Police. She could have been laid out on the ground right away.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Back on topic....were these the same "peaceful protesters" who hurled feces at the Republican delegates?

That lady who got arrested in the video repeatedly did not follow instructions from Police. She could have been laid out on the ground right away.

That's a pretty orwellian way to handle this situation. What threat does she pose? Oh yes, the threat of civil disobidience by asking questions. Quick break her spine.

I recall a quote from a founding father saying that when the government becomes too powerful, it is the citizens duty to take it back forcefully. This is when you have to decide what side you're on. And disgreeing with your government doesn't make you anti-american, it makes you pro-american.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's a pretty orwellian way to handle this situation. What threat does she pose? Oh yes, the threat of civil disobidience by asking questions. Quick break her spine.

I recall a quote from a founding father saying that when the government becomes too powerful, it is the citizens duty to take it back forcefully. This is when you have to decide what side you're on. And disgreeing with your government doesn't make you anti-american, it makes you pro-american.
I say this to you, the same way I would say to someone who criticizes how a soldier or marine handles a situation. You are not in the officers spot, so therefore do not know the particulars. He has been doing that job a lot longer than you have been criticizing this nation. Defusing an issue before it infringed upon upon other peoples peacefulness is a judgment call that was not yours to make. You do not know if that was all she was doing, and I can pretty much gauran-fukken-tee that it wasn't just asking questions.

Now go grab the new Avenged Sevenfold and listen closely to the lyrics in Critical Acclaim.

Adams

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I say this to you, the same way I would say to someone who criticizes how a soldier or marine handles a situation. You are not in the officers spot, so therefore do not know the particulars. He has been doing that job a lot longer than you have been criticizing this nation. Defusing an issue before it infringed upon upon other peoples peacefulness is a judgment call that was not yours to make. You do not know if that was all she was doing, and I can pretty much gauran-fukken-tee that it wasn't just asking questions.

Now go grab the new Avenged Sevenfold and listen closely to the lyrics in Critical Acclaim.

Adams

The problem with doing things in the name of security is that it can be used as an excuse to infringe on someones rights. This is much like how Habeus Corpus was suspended post 911. People can thus be detained for no reason, and have no rights. But this is done for reasons of security which are

I believe it was thomas jefferson who said; "Those who are willing to trade freedom for temporary security deserve neither."

I've heard the song. Avenged Sevenfold is one of my favorite bands, but the lyrics are can be interepreted subjectively. The band has also been seen as anti-war and anti-coporation.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
First of all, the primary responsibility of the police there was to keep peace so that no one was hurt. I have gone through riot training, and they were overly gentle to her given the circumstances. She had a right to peacefully assemble in the area designated by the authorities in Minneapolis. She choose to break the law and leave that area.

Yeah, the famous tree of liberty is grown from the blood of patriots quote. Great. You can twist the founding fathers words and intent however you want, but I ask you this, what right of this lady's was trampled? How about the right of the Republican party to peacefully assemble? Shouldn't that right be protected as well?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
People can thus be detained for no reason, and have no rights.
You are referring to the patriot act. Which if you read it, not People.... suspected terrorists. YOU CANNOT be detained for no reason, with no rights... SHE will not be detained for no reason, with no rights. The US STILL protects your rights as always, including the right to speak out against its own government... something you dont see elsewhere.

I believe it was thomas jefferson who said; "Those who are willing to trade freedom for temporary security deserve neither."
You mean Ben Franklin.

I've heard the song. Avenged Sevenfold is one of my favorite bands, but the lyrics are can be interepreted subjectively. The band has also been seen as anti-war and anti-coporation.
They are in no way shape or form of anti-war, unless you want to scrutinize in a Michael Moore fashion to twist out what you want. There isnt much debatable in the lyric
All the way from the east to the west
We've got this high society looking down on this very foundation
Constantly reminding us that our actions are the cause of all their problems
Pointing the fingers in every direction
Blaming their own nation for who wins elections
They've never contributed a fukking thing to the country they love to criticize"

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
The band has also been seen as anti-war and anti-coporation.
I never understand these "anti-corporation" people. Are these people anti-money? What did any corporation do that's so evil...outside of say Enron? What's the alternative?

I see corporations as everything that's good about America. Motivated individuals using their hard work and ingenuity to bring wealth, jobs and prosperity to America.