Palin...Book Banner? - AnabolicMinds.com

Palin...Book Banner?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Palin...Book Banner?

librarian.net Blog Archive Sarah Palin, VP nominee

From an article in TIME magazine:

[Former Wasilla mayor] Stein says that as mayor, Palin continued to inject religious beliefs into her policy at times. “She asked the library how she could go about banning books,” he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. “The librarian was aghast.” The librarian, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn’t be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire her for not giving “full support” to the mayor.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless

Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

She's also a Nazi.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by J. Peterman View Post
    She's also a Nazi.
    now that I don't have a problem with.
    •   

4. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

"The Nazis couldn’t be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Nazis had threatened to fire up the gas ovens for not giving “full support” to the mayor."
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dsade View Post
    now that I don't have a problem with.

"Not that there is anything wrong with it"
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Just curious, how many more Palin threads are there on here than Biden threads. That ought to tell you something right there.

Quote Originally Posted by atjnutrition2 View Post
    Just curious, how many more Palin threads are there on here than Biden threads. That ought to tell you something right there.
    that it's amazing that not only people like this exist but they are actually nominated to hold power?
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

This particular claim against her is the only one that i've seen that seems to have some merit, as her attempt to ban the books is pretty well documented. But she accepted that she couldnt do it, and it ended.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Until she gets a better postion to revisit her belief that certain books should be banned??

Maybe not the case but something to think about when choosing your officials.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    Until she gets a better postion to revisit her belief that certain books should be banned??

Maybe not the case but something to think about when choosing your officials.
    Yep...this is what it comes down to. People reveal their character through actions.

This particular attempt to act reveals something terrifying....that someone in this day and age believes that they have a right to control what others are able to read, in direct contradiction to the document she has sworn to uphold and the only agreement that a free people have agreed to that prevents another revolution.

Those rights (freedom of the press) are not granted by the government, but are inherent in people. A small step from tyranny, no matter how pretty the face.

What else would she try to do, that has not been revealed?
  11. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

remember that the quote is

She asked the library how she could go about banning books,” he says, because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them.
    So she was attempting to represent her constituency, and like them didn't know that book banning for content is not legal.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    remember that the quote is

So she was attempting to represent her constituency, and like them didn't know that book banning for content is not legal.
    Wow...if only there were some document that stated something like that that they teach in middle school all the way through high school.

If your post were true, even more reason she has no business running anything remotely politically powerful - ignorance of the core rules of the country.
  13. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Truthfully i dont recall when in school they tought about hat.
    This space for rent

Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Some voters wanted to burn heretics and witches at the local book burning bonfire.

Palin inquired as to how she could get them all into one vehicle to lower their carbon footprint prior to it being released into the atmosphere after the burning...

Seriously, you don't just see if you can do something because some voters wanted it. Some things should of been checked into at a level other tan the local library.

Truthfully i dont recall when in school they tought about hat.
    They never taught you the Bill of Rights?????
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Anyone read anything about her problems back in Alaska??

AP: Investigation dogs Alaskan Govenor

She's still dealing with this stuff (and more) currently!
  17. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

I dont recall them saying the freedom of the press means that books can't be removed from a local library due to content. they dont keep copies of huster and swank in the magazine rack at your library do they? different peoples definitions of obscenity are different.
    This space for rent

Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurleyboy05 View Post
    Anyone read anything about her problems back in Alaska??

AP: Investigation dogs Alaskan Govenor

She's still dealing with this stuff (and more) currently!
    Thats old news..thats so 3 days ago

I dont recall them saying the freedom of the press means that books can't be removed from a local library due to content. they dont keep copies of huster and swank in the magazine rack at your library do they? different peoples definitions of obscenity are different.
    Are they BANNED, or just not carried. There are a lot of books that aren't carried in the library for various reasons (budget, etc.) but not ordered to be removed by the powers that be.

This is also well-known history, that have been widely reported such as the cases of Huckleberry Finn and Catcher in the Rye.
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Thats old news..thats so 3 days ago
    Yeah, yeah... I'm behind the times. I just had an Alaska first point of view on the situation from local Alaskans. She truly is "sketchier" then she comes across as - but hey what politician isn't? But she really seems to get the "innocent wrap" alot easier then most and it really bothers me, especially when she's rather corrupt in all actuality.

ehh... I thought I'd escape her once I got home, but no, now she's a VP candidate!!!
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Are they BANNED, or just not carried. There are a lot of books that aren't carried in the library for various reasons (budget, etc.) but not ordered to be removed by the powers that be.
    Why would they not carry them? I'm sure they could get a hell of lot more people in the library if they could.

Why would they not carry them? I'm sure they could get a hell of lot more people in the library if they could.

I know I would go...maybe if they made them "Pop-up" magazines.
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.

Its not that clear of an issue.

The founders intentions for the Bill of Rights was to limit the actions of Congress, not State and Local governments. The actual wording is in fact, "Congress shall not infringe on...."

This was followed in practice for over 100 years before creative forces of the judicial branch extended it to State and Local governments. The founders intended to give the State and Local governments the autonomy to represent the citizens of their localities.
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

I know I would go...maybe if they made them "Pop-up" magazines.
    x2.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

that it's amazing that not only people like this exist but they are actually nominated to hold power?
    Like what? You have no idea what you're talking about. You're taking a dump given by a third party source who indiscriminately accused her of banning books because of foul language. Do you know which books she tried to ban? Maybe the were love novels that read "he thrusted his man stick into her body". That sort of language obviously wouldn't be appropriate for an elementary school library. You just don't know so stop acting like you do! MAKES ME SICK!

Furthermore, take note of the person accusing her of these acts. Yes, that's right, the disgruntled former mayor who lost to her. Even further, if she did interject her moral beliefs which stem from her religion, how is that any different from the "correcting or moral standing" that Obama proposes? Is because one is labeled religious and the other not that which makes one okay and not the other.

Lastly, did you read the next few paragraphs of the times article? The part that said if even if she did interject her religiously influenced morals into her policies that she was representing the large and growing population of evangelicals whom probably were largely responsible for her being elected? What democrats always fail to realize is that for some people religion and morality cannot be differentiated. Their morality is their religion and not representing them in government accordingly is discriminatory and unconstitutional. It's seperation of church and state, not the seperation religious morality and political decision making.

Sorry for the rant. I had an annoying night.

~signed,
    Left leaning registered independent

PS- many of you have freedom of the press twisted in so many ****ing directions it's amazing.
  26. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

those people you talk about rugger were probably the kind of people obama was thinking of when he said

Quote Originally Posted by obama
    So it’s not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion
    you know, the sort of people in them flyover states
    This space for rent

Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    Like what? You have no idea what you're talking about. You're taking a dump given by a third party source who indiscriminately accused her of banning books because of foul language. Do you know which books she tried to ban? Maybe the were love novels that read "he thrusted his man stick into her body". That sort of language obviously wouldn't be appropriate for an elementary school library. You just don't know so stop acting like you do! MAKES ME SICK!

Furthermore, take note of the person accusing her of these acts. Yes, that's right, the disgruntled former mayor who lost to her. Even further, if she did interject her moral beliefs which stem from her religion, how is that any different from the "correcting or moral standing" that Obama proposes? Is because one is labeled religious and the other not that which makes one okay and not the other.

Lastly, did you read the next few paragraphs of the times article? The part that said if even if she did interject her religiously influenced morals into her policies that she was representing the large and growing population of evangelicals whom probably were largely responsible for her being elected? What democrats always fail to realize is that for some people religion and morality cannot be differentiated. Their morality is their religion and not representing them in government accordingly is discriminatory and unconstitutional. It's seperation of church and state, not the seperation religious morality and political decision making.

Sorry for the rant. I had an annoying night.

~signed,
    Left leaning registered independent

PS- many of you have freedom of the press twisted in so many ****ing directions it's amazing.
    I gotta ask what library you grew up near that had content of the bolded section? and tell me how much it will cost me to move there

In all honesty, I work in education and there are no books I have seen in my school library, the library in the town I work in, or my own town that resemble the trash that you make mention of. With that said, she truly has no right to ban books. Besides freedom of the press, it can also be construed as freedom of expression as well
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    I gotta ask what library you grew up near that had content of the bolded section? and tell me how much it will cost me to move there

In all honesty, I work in education and there are no books I have seen in my school library, the library in the town I work in, or my own town that resemble the trash that you make mention of. With that said, she truly has no right to ban books. Besides freedom of the press, it can also be construed as freedom of expression as well
    I came up with that example because I don't know what other, if any, sort of 'inappropriate language' would be found in a public schools library. With that said, freedom of the press doesn't have anything to do with requiring public school libraries to keep books on file. I would want bomb making books and goosebumps in my school library if that were the case.
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

I dont disagree, as there are always extremes. However, as we have seen in recent history, many books were considered smut, or questionable or whatever other term you want to use, just b/c it might have contained drug use or some sort of angst.

At the end of the day, it is not for Palin in her position of power to try and ban books. Case closed IMO

I dont disagree, as there are always extremes. However, as we have seen in recent history, many books were considered smut, or questionable or whatever other term you want to use, just b/c it might have contained drug use or some sort of angst.

At the end of the day, it is not for Palin in her position of power to try and ban books. Case closed IMO
    But don't you think she should represent the ideals of the majority of her constituents?
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    But don't you think she should represent the ideals of the majority of her constituents?
    not in a situation like this. if she does than it is more about remaining in power than anything else

Libraries never seem to carry coloring books. I'd probably visit tons more often if they did. I like to color the grass blue and the sky green. It's wild!
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line

not in a situation like this. if she does than it is more about remaining in power than anything else
    In a situation like what? I don't understand your second part. Remaining in power? So because she is appealing to the majority that elected her she isn't doing right by them, but instead doing what she has to do to remain in power? That just seems overly cynical to me. Entirely possible, though.
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.

First and foremost I am not inclined to believe this latest story about Palin at this time, only because the media has been throwing everything that they can at this woman for a week now. Anyone who will not acknowledge this fact is blinded by ideology. Even Bill Maher, who is without a doubt a left wing guy, acknowledged on his show that the media adoration of Obama is rediculous and embarrassing. So I will remain a bit skeptical of their latest attack on someone they view as being a valid threat to an Obama presidency.

Everytime I turn on CNN or NBC I hear something about Palin, yet I have to go to a conservative news source to hear anything about Obama's connections with William Aires (who is a former terrorist and leftist radical), or any of his other shady dealings.

Palin is a conservative Republican, and represents herself as a conservative Republican. Obama on the other hand has been discipled by Marxist, he attends a "church" that preaches black superiority and socialism, and married a militant racist (see Michelle Obama's thesis here http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1975035/posts ).

Yet Obama represents himself as being a centrist, what a load of crap! The vast majority of black people support Obama because he is black, however the vast majority of the other people who support Obama do so because they have been conned by the media and public relations experts. My goodness if you aren't a socialist you should be scared $hitless of this man.

So again excuse me for being skeptical of anything the media says about Palin at this point in time.
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.

Think about this though, why does any politician do anything? Better yet why would a politician vote or act to prohibit anything?

Why is marijuana illegal?
    Why is prostitution illegal?
    Why is cocaine illegal?
    Why are steroids illegal?
    etc.

A very good case can be made that the prohibition of anything that would be considered a "victimless crime" is wrong. Yet, we live under all sorts of prohibitions in this "free" country. Did you ever ask yourself why? Obviously part of the answer lies in financial special interest, another part in political corruption, yet another part of the answer is that politicians are not in the business of angering/offending their constituency (and this is not totally wrong, because in theory our government representatives are supposed to support the values and positions of their constituenies).
    Last edited by Dadof2; 09-06-2008 at 12:49 PM.
  36. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

it is funny that racism is acceptable when it comes from a black person.
    This space for rent

Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.

it is funny that racism is acceptable when it comes from a black person.
    Don't be rediculous! Black people cannot be racist, because they are not the majority

As rediculous as it sounds, this is the argument that academia and the left routinely spouts when the subject of black racism comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    Don't be rediculous! Black people cannot be racist, because they are not the majority

As rediculous as it sounds, this is the argument that academia and the left routinely spouts when the subject of black racism comes up.
    racism has nothing to do with majority, it is the judgement of others based solely on skin color and can be committed by those of any color.ve
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    Think about this though, why does any politician do anything? Better yet why would a politician vote or act to prohibit anything?

Why is marijuana illegal?
    Why is prostitution illegal?
    Why is cocaine illegal?
    Why are steroids illegal?
    etc.

A very good case can be made that the prohibition of anything that would be considered a "victimless crime" is wrong. Yet, we live under all sorts of prohibitions in this "free" country. Did you ever ask yourself why? Obviously part of the answer lies in financial special interest, another part in political corruption, yet another part of the answer is that politicians are not in the business of angering/offending their constituency (and this is not totally wrong, because in theory our government representatives are supposed to support the values and positions of their constituenies).
    so I see we are not disagreeing.

she is a politician no different than any other, however, book banning goes a bit over the top for me in general
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.

so I see we are not disagreeing.

she is a politician no different than any other, however, book banning goes a bit over the top for me in general
    So Hustler in the public library?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Wheres the banner
    By mmowry in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 04:20 PM