McCain's VP Pick - a GILF?

Page 6 of 10 First ... 45678 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by J. Peterman View Post
    Yep. Appeal to moderate woman and energize (while shoring up) up the base. I would say for a VP pick, that's a slam dunk.

Also with the pick, it overshadowed some speech someone gave yesterday...
    moderate women? really? there is nothing remotely moderate about Palin.

Oh, is it the stance on abortion? Nope thts not it

Gay marriage? nope thats not it

How about creationism? oh that must be it (not likely)

Mr. Supps Board Rep

2. Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    moderate women? really? there is nothing remotely moderate about Palin.

Oh, is it the stance on abortion? Nope thts not it

Gay marriage? nope thats not it

How about creationism? oh that must be it (not likely)

Hmm...abortion. Moderates are split down the middle except in the midwest where you generally have a more anti-abortion stance.

Gay Marriage? Moderates generally oppose the formal union (but are fine with civil unions). Actually, the American public poll more towards conservatives on that issue.

Creationism? Yes, that controversial topic that will most likely make or break a candidate when it comes to your 30-50 old mother. And the older women? We all know how opposed they are to creationism

It was those same moderate woman that help elect Bush/Cheney in 2000 and 2004. We know just how moderate they were as well.

See, the beauty of moderates is that you don't need to be one to get the vote

Care to try again?
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by J. Peterman View Post
    Hmm...abortion. Moderates are split down the middle except in the midwest where you generally have a more anti-abortion stance.

Gay Marriage? Moderates generally oppose the formal union (but are fine with civil unions). Actually, the American public poll more towards conservatives on that issue.

Creationism? Yes, that controversial topic that will most likely make or break a candidate when it comes to your 30-50 old mother. And the older women? We all know how opposed they are to creationism

It was those same moderate woman that help elect Bush/Cheney in 2000 and 2004. We know just how moderate they were as well.

See, the beauty of moderates is that you don't need to be one to get the vote

Care to try again?
    While you are right about Bush/Cheney, Palin's stance is not moderate, and most women (if they do the research on her) will not bvote for her, especially based on the abortion issue. She is against abortion even in cases of rape and incest.

Regarding gay marriage, some will like her till they find out about her stance on domestic partnership. She wont win any moderate fans there

In terms of creationism, you seem to enjoy speaking in generalities. She wont be able to get much in the way of true moderate votes. The thing McCain needed most was a way to win the indy votes, and she does not do that for him at all.
    Mr. Supps Board Rep

4. Here's my issue:

McCain has had 4 bouts with cancer. God forbid, what would happen to this country if she became president?

5. Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    Here's my issue:

McCain has had 4 bouts with cancer. God forbid, what would happen to this country if she became president?
    that is a viable concern.

Her pick is either going to be a huge plus or a huge minus. I doubt there is middle ground here, and as always the repubs are thrilled and the dems laugh at it. Whooda thunk it? It iwll come down to us Indy's yet again
    Mr. Supps Board Rep
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    Here's my issue:

I wish the ticket was flipped. Palin-McCain '08

7. This was a brilliant tactical move for McCain, the first that I have seen from him. It is funny watching folks squirm about this.

It is also amusing to see the Obama camp attack Palin on her lack of experience. Palin has infinitely more executive experience than Obama, as she has approximately two years of it and he has.............0.

The underlying issue that is bothering the dems so much is that they know that many women are now going to vote for McCain simply because Palin is a woman. I also find this very amusing as 90% of the black people in this country are voting for Barak simply because he is black.

I predicted in a different thread that McCain would probably beat Obama, even though McCain is a terrible candidate, and that his VP choice would have a lot to do with this. I still stand by it, and reiterate that the fact that Palin is going to be the factor that pushes McCain over the edge just proves how terrible a candidate Obama is.

That sound you hear is the sound of the DNC kicking itself in the a$$ for backing the wrong horse.

Obama, you have been owned

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    This was a brilliant tactical move for McCain, the first that I have seen from him. It is funny watching folks squirm about this.

It is also amusing to see the Obama camp attack Palin on her lack of experience. Palin has infinitely more executive experience than Obama, as she has approximately two years of it and he has.............0.

The underlying issue that is bothering the dems so much is that they know that many women are now going to vote for McCain simply because Palin is a woman. I also find this very amusing as 90% of the black people in this country are voting for Barak simply because he is black.

I predicted in a different thread that McCain would probably beat Obama, even though McCain is a terrible candidate, and that his VP choice would have a lot to do with this. I still stand by it, and reiterate that the fact that Palin is going to be the factor that pushes McCain over the edge just proves how terrible a candidate Obama is.

That sound you hear is the sound of the DNC kicking itself in the a$$ for backing the wrong horse.

I hope you're right, but I still don't believe that the Republicans have this locked up by any means. I'm really just banking on the hope that a lot of the ignorant people strolling around in Obama's Rock Star tshirts don't even make it to the polls.

9. [QUOTE=Dadof2;1517306]This was a brilliant tactical move for McCain, the first that I have seen from him. It is funny watching folks squirm about this.

The sound you're hearing is your wet brain sloshing around from your lack of objectivity. Yes, black people are thrilled that there is a black candidate however, contrary to your narrow minded statement, a lot of us do have brains and are not blindly following but have made a very conscious choice along with quite a large number of folks who felt totally abandoned and left out by the last 8 years of nonsense.

Independent Women also have brains and will make their decision based on the facts and discussions that emerge over the next 8-10 weeks NOT just because McCain picked a woman who believes that God just snapped his fingers and Adam and Eve materialized.

If man is made in God's image and we experiment, don't you think he or she experimented as well. Believe what you wish but there's no denying that there is millions of years of evidence that factually supports our evolution. Barack Obama is hardly owned

:bruce3:

10. Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I wish the ticket was flipped. Palin-McCain '08
    Come on now, you're just infatuated with her. She's married, stop it

11. Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    This was a brilliant tactical move for McCain, the first that I have seen from him. It is funny watching folks squirm about this.

by all means you are entitled to your opinion, but if you look at recent polls in states that are typically red, it is awfully too close for comfort, and as well many swing states (Pa, Oh, Fla) either have Obama leading or almost dead heat. Obama being owned, not likely.

Now, yes it is way too early to have a true bearing on where this is going, but I think Mccain will be his own worst enemy here, and unless there is a "new terror alert" like there was in 2004, I think Obama wins and does so handily.
    Mr. Supps Board Rep

12. in case anyone miss it they're released a new campaign poster!

13. I just forwarded that to everyone at work. Too funny
    Mr. Supps Board Rep

14. Quote Originally Posted by DormantFiber View Post
    in case anyone miss it they're released a new campaign poster!

Hahah. That's pretty funny.

I am infatuated with her, but in every aspect. I think she would make a great President, more so than McCain. I'm thrilled with her, not so much McCain.

15. The sound you're hearing is your wet brain sloshing around from your lack of objectivity. Yes, black people are thrilled that there is a black candidate however, contrary to your narrow minded statement, a lot of us do have brains and are not blindly following but have made a very conscious choice along with quite a large number of folks who felt totally abandoned and left out by the last 8 years of nonsense.

Independent Women also have brains and will make their decision based on the facts and discussions that emerge over the next 8-10 weeks NOT just because McCain picked a woman who believes that God just snapped his fingers and Adam and Eve materialized.

If man is made in God's image and we experiment, don't you think he or she experimented as well. Believe what you wish but there's no denying that there is millions of years of evidence that factually supports our evolution. Barack Obama is hardly owned

:bruce3:[/QUOTE]

If what you are saying about yourself and why you have decided to pick Obama is true, then you are far more politically advanced than many of your peers.

Why do you think that elections are packaged the way that they are? Much like you are advertised by companies all day long in an effort to get them to buy their products, you are being manipulated into voting one way or another. Politics = marketing, it is that simple.

The vast majority of people in America put more objective thought into picking the next American idol than they do in the Presidential race. Many people who are voting for Obama are voting for him for a few reasons:

he is black, and they (the voter) are black, or want to be hip and prove how progressive and non-racist they are, or they suffer from white guilt

or

because the media told them to

Only the smallest minority of folks who are voting for Obama are doing so because of his positions on the issues. If you are one of them than I congratulate you on not being a sheep, and for being a responsible citizen.

Unfortunately my point still stands, and just like people are going to mindlessly vote for Obama, many others are going to blindly vote for McCain simply because he picked a good running mate.

This is all a big game, and McCain just made what could prove to be the winning move.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    by all means you are entitled to your opinion, but if you look at recent polls in states that are typically red, it is awfully too close for comfort, and as well many swing states (Pa, Oh, Fla) either have Obama leading or almost dead heat. Obama being owned, not likely.

Now, yes it is way too early to have a true bearing on where this is going, but I think Mccain will be his own worst enemy here, and unless there is a "new terror alert" like there was in 2004, I think Obama wins and does so handily.

There is no doubt that this election will be a squeaker, I have said this all along. The reason being is that Obama and McCain are both very unnatractive candidates for a variety of reasons. Obama picked a douchebag for a running mate, and McCain picked a winner, this is very significant in this race as things up until now have been very close.

If Hillary had been runing against McCain all of this time she would be spanking him about right now, and McCain's pick for vp wouldn't matter because Hil's vp would be Obama.

Not only did McCain pick the best possible running mate, and Obama picked a nobody, but McCain sucked all of the air out of the room and seriously damaged the potentialy post convention momentum Obama would have had.

Again this was just a brilliant campaign move.

17. [QUOTE=Dadof2;1517449]

If what you are saying about yourself and why you have decided to pick Obama is true, then you are far more politically advanced than many of your peers.

I as well as a lot of my peers have quite a few years and have gone through quite a few elections so, it's not the 1st time around the block.

Unfortunately my point still stands, and just like people are going to mindlessly vote for Obama, many others are going to blindly vote for McCain simply because he picked a good running mate.

While there's not much we agree on, we can agree on that. Just curious, what makes Joe Biden a douchebag in your opinion

18. McCain: "Check."

19. Oh, and watch what happens to the price of oil with Gustav positioned to shut down a plethora of offshore rigs and refineries. The price of gas is going to go through the roof and remain elevated for quite a while. This could prove to be rough on Democrats and their anti-drilling agenda. It also would be hard on McCain, because he is....wait....oh that is right Governor Palin is all about drilling for oil! She even sued the feds to drill for Alaskin oil

Buahahahahahahaha

Pure genius.

20. That reminds me that I have to go fill up today.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    There is no doubt that this election will be a squeaker, I have said this all along. The reason being is that Obama and McCain are both very unnatractive candidates for a variety of reasons. Obama picked a douchebag for a running mate, and McCain picked a winner, this is very significant in this race as things up until now have been very close.

If Hillary had been runing against McCain all of this time she would be spanking him about right now, and McCain's pick for vp wouldn't matter because Hil's vp would be Obama.

Not only did McCain pick the best possible running mate, and Obama picked a nobody, but McCain sucked all of the air out of the room and seriously damaged the potentialy post convention momentum Obama would have had.

Again this was just a brilliant campaign move.
    the odds are this is a squeaker, and yes both are not the candidates that their parties wanted. However, where I think you are confused is that Palin is a good choice and Biden is not. I think you have it reversed. Biden offers a great deal to a ticket and compliments the many weaknesses that Obama most certainly has. Where as Palin, does not compliment anything except for age. While she has some executive experience, she has no national experience and her executive experience is in a state of 600,000 and some elk. She will appeal to the ultra conservative religious right, which was something that Mccain always prided himself on being opposite from. It proves he is desperate more than anything.

However, look at the polls now, and many typical red states are in question, not good for McCain/Palin
    Mr. Supps Board Rep

22. Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post
    Oh, and watch what happens to the price of oil with Gustav positioned to shut down a plethora of offshore rigs and refineries. The price of gas is going to go through the roof and remain elevated for quite a while. This could prove to be rough on Democrats and their anti-drilling agenda. It also would be hard on McCain, because he is....wait....oh that is right Governor Palin is all about drilling for oil! She even sued the feds to drill for Alaskin oil

Buahahahahahahaha

Pure genius.
    keep 1 thing in mind, if the dems are smart (yes a big friggin if, as we found out in 2004) there are countless experts that will tell you that all this new drilling will do nothing to the supply for at least 15 years, thus doing nothing to the price of oil. Also, a bit of focus on new energy sources would suit the dems well. However, we are working under the assumption they wont pull a 2004, when they could have run a steak against that dingbat Bush and won.
    Mr. Supps Board Rep

23. Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    While you are right about Bush/Cheney, Palin's stance is not moderate, and most women (if they do the research on her) will not bvote for her, especially based on the abortion issue. She is against abortion even in cases of rape and incest.

And Bush/Cheney were moderate? Do you understand that a lot of woman just don't put the abortion issue top center? Do you understand that most of these moderate woman ARE moderate because teh don't vote strcitly down a party line? Its appeal to the moderates and independents who generally have a mixed bag and vote on several issues, not just one. A woman who has shows reform and is not in Washington is a breath of fresh air to many women.

Regarding gay marriage, some will like her till they find out about her stance on domestic partnership. She wont win any moderate fans there
    And you know this how? If you look at almost every poll on the matter the majority of people in this country actually do not agree with gay marriage. Its basically a non issue unless you are either a gay, or a liberal. Last time I check, that demographic is very small.

In terms of creationism, you seem to enjoy speaking in generalities. She wont be able to get much in the way of true moderate votes. The thing McCain needed most was a way to win the indy votes, and she does not do that for him at all.
    Because that what most voters vote on..generalities. If you actually tihnk women will sit there and not vote for her because of her stance on creationism, you're nuts.

You simply don't get the fact that voters she appeals to are the same voters Bush/Cheney appealed to....and they are not moderate in any way and last time I check, aren't female.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

24. Quote Originally Posted by Dadof2 View Post

heh...its funny watching them and their sheep.

25. Quote Originally Posted by J. Peterman View Post
    And Bush/Cheney were moderate? Do you understand that a lot of woman just don't put the abortion issue top center? Do you understand that most of these moderate woman ARE moderate because teh don't vote strcitly down a party line? Its appeal to the moderates and independents who generally have a mixed bag and vote on several issues, not just one. A woman who has shows reform and is not in Washington is a breath of fresh air to many women.
    I dont think you as a die hard repub, can give an indication of how indy's will vote. Her stance on many core issues is very ultra conservative and plays well with the religious right, which indys will walk away from

Quote Originally Posted by J. Peterman View Post
    And you know this how? If you look at almost every poll on the matter the majority of people in this country actually do not agree with gay marriage. Its basically a non issue unless you are either a gay, or a liberal. Last time I check, that demographic is very small.
    I think you might want to check the numbers again. Check the Pew research polls as well as the CBS polls. Not a big discrepancy like you might imagine

Because that what most voters vote on..generalities. If you actually tihnk women will sit there and not vote for her because of her stance on creationism, you're nuts.
    I dont think that will be the one issue, however, if shown how different she is from hillary, then the appointment of her wont help as much as the repubs think

You simply don't get the fact that voters she appeals to are the same voters Bush/Cheney appealed to....and they are not moderate in any way and last time I check, aren't female.
    There is one huge difference between 2004 and 2008, Obama is a much more likeable candidate for dems to rally around than John Kerry. He also has an attack dog in Biden, which is a role Edwards did not play well in. Additionally and quite sadly, Bush was more in line with what the traditional party wanted in 2004 than McCain is in 2008
    Mr. Supps Board Rep
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help me pick my next ride! Poll!
    By BigVrunga in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 04:42 PM
  2. Who's your early World Series pick ?
    By Iron Warrior in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 04:59 PM
  3. John Edwards for VP...read this first
    By kwyckemynd00 in forum Politics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 04:39 PM
  4. early superbowl picks
    By gosox in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 03:49 PM
  5. Couture vs. Ortiz this friday, your pick?
    By Beta BBer in forum General Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 08:55 AM