bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
The Case Against Obama - In His Own Words
Lorie Byrd
Friday, August 22, 2008

It would be hard to make a better case against a Barack Obama presidency than the one Obama has made in his own words. The most memorable thing about Obama’s speeches is not generally what he says, but rather how large and enthusiastic the audiences are. If voters pay attention only to the symbolism and get caught up in the excitement of the Obamessiah and his throngs of fainting disciples, he stands a good chance of winning in November. If voters pay attention instead to the things Obama is saying, the case against an Obama presidency will be clear.

Obama’s youthful appearance is often cited as one of his biggest assets, but when he opens his mouth he doesn’t always come off as presidential or even particularly intelligent. The political figure who perhaps has received the most ridicule in the past twenty years is Dan Quayle (due largely to a misspelled word on a flashcard he read during an appearance at a school). I wonder how much more grief would have been heaped on Vice President Quayle if he had made any of the following gaffes committed by Barack Obama (from Michelle Malkin):

· Last May, he claimed that Kansas tornadoes killed a whopping 10,000 people: “In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died — an entire town destroyed.” The actual death toll: 12.

· Earlier this month in Oregon, he redrew the map of the United States: “Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go.”

· Last March, on the anniversary of the Bloody Sunday march in Selma, Alabama, he claimed his parents united as a direct result of the civil rights movement: “There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama, because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born.” Obama was born in 1961. The Selma march took place in 1965.

Some of Obama’s gaffes go beyond simple slips of the tongue and confusion over numbers though and display a lack of knowledge on important issues as was the case when he commented on the war in Afghanistan and the lack of translators: “We only have a certain number of them and if they are all in Iraq, then it’s harder for us to use them in Afghanistan.” As Malkin pointed out, the real reason it’s “harder for us to use them” in Afghanistan is because Iraqis speak Arabic or Kurdish, while Afghanis speak Pashto, Farsi, or other non-Arabic languages. Worse than the lack of knowledge of the languages spoken in other nations is that he lacks an understanding of the threat posed by some of them. Or maybe he doesn’t. It is really a bit confusing. In Portland, Oregon, Obama said of Iran, “They don't pose a serious threat to us.” The following day in Billings, Montana he said: “I’ve made it clear for years that the threat from Iran is grave.” Maybe it depends what the definitions of “grave” and “serious” are. As I said, it is all bit confusing. Maybe that is why so many focus on the crowds at Obama’s events, rather than to what Obama is actually saying to them.

If voters are paying attention to what Barack Obama says they will see not only a lack of knowledge of important issues, but on some of the issues where he is informed, an attempt to hide his true position and past votes.

In the Saddleback Church forum last week, in response to Rev. Rick Warren’s question, “At what point does a baby get human rights in your view?” Obama responded: “Well, uh, you know, I think that whether you're looking at it from a theological perspective or, uh, a scientific perspective, uh, answering that question with specificity, uh, you know, is, is, uh, above my pay grade.” As blogger Cassy Fiano points out, the idea that someone running for President would dodge such an important question in that way is “beyond ridiculous” and obviously an attempt to be as ambiguous as possible so that he does not offend those who disagree with the very radical positions he has taken on the issue of abortion during his political career. Obama’s past comments and votes on abortion legislation definitely say more about him than anything he is saying on the subject now.

Another example of actions speaking louder than words can be found when we listen to Obama’s money talk. According to Obama’s tax returns from 2000-2006, the Obamas have given far less to charity than John McCain has. In all but the two most recent years reported, the Obamas gave around 1% or less of their income to charity. Their contributions increased in 2005 and 2006 to 4.7% and 6.1% respectively, but still are far short of those of McCain who gave 28.6% in 2006 and 27.3% in 2007. But if you listen to Obama’s words you will hear that he is very concerned about the least among us.

According to the following statement from an Obama speech earlier this summer, it appears pretty much everyone who isn’t Obama is a lesser being: “...I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on earth. This was the moment -- this was the time -- when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves and our highest ideals.” If Obama is able to slow the rise of the oceans then ending poverty and securing peace should be a cakewalk. I suppose he will only be able to accomplish such feats if elected President though.

This week John McCain pulled ahead of Obama in many polls and projections. Maybe voters have finally started listening to what Obama has been saying now that the thrill of his oratory is wearing thin.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got through the 1st half and it made me laugh, but all of us have slip ups. I don't expect perfect from a politician, although that thing about his birth/Selma seems more than a slip-up. It seems like something he's told himself so many times he believes it.

I'm looking forward to reading a few good articles on this when my Economist comes on Monday.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strategery!

:D

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
And McCain who doesn't know how many properties he owns has been perfect in his speeches, yeah OK. Let's face it, if you're expecting our politicians to get everything right, the Brooklyn Bridge is still for sale.

:bruce3:

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
And McCain who doesn't know how many properties he owns has been perfect in his speeches, yeah OK. Let's face it, if you're expecting our politicians to get everything right, the Brooklyn Bridge is still for sale.

He doesn't know, b/c its his wife's family that owns the majority of those properties.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't even take any of these things serious anymore! Basing your reasoning on gaffes, when the other cadidate has just as many, is just stupid. It's writing like these that does worse harm than good. The point of this piece is to show if you listen to him then you will see he shouldn't be President but who the fukk is he writing this for? No one who is for Obama and I would be willing to bet, anyone on the fence, would take this and make them change their minds. If anything it looks so weak that those fence riders would probably say "is this all the hell they have to say?" and cause Obama to pull more votes.

I guess we should say that McCain shouldn't be President because he's so far removed fromthe eople that he thinks anyone making less than 5 million is middle class? Of course not! They're called gaffes for a ****ing reason.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
i really couldn't care less if he is not an accurate and eloquent speaker, any person can be a professional bullsh!tter . What i caare about is that he seems to really not have a good grasp on reality. he has surrounded himself with many shady characters and i truly believe that "birds of a feather flock together".

disgusting.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Obama or Mccain, is there a ****ing difference?

THIS ONE MAN, WHOEVER IT IS, CARES about you and WILL CHANGE things........yeah...sure.....

I have no respect for our politicians, over the years elections have been turning into a goddamn reality show, both candidates are ****ing horrible for this country, throwing around empty promises and words.

These "men" do not know what the words honor, loyalty and respect mean or represent, everyone is out to further their own agenda and interests, both full of BS to the ****ing brim.

I'm not gonna vote this year, I hate both candidates, it's now up to a bunch of spineless dickless **** sucking faggot ass dumb as hell muther****ers to run this country.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

THIS ONE MAN, WHOEVER IT IS, CARES about you and WILL CHANGE things........yeah...sure.....

I have no respect for our politicians, over the years elections have been turning into a goddamn reality show, both candidates are ****ing horrible for this country, throwing around empty promises and words.

These "men" do not know what the words honor, loyalty and respect mean or represent, everyone is out to further their own agenda and interests, both full of BS to the ****ing brim.
both of the prews. candidates are so out of touch. McCainb's own words tell you as such, but Obama has no room to talk. He has only one house? In a very wealthy area of Chicago, worth millions. Sorry, but that is not what the average American deals with. I really think this is why they went with Biden, he can work well with the average American and can realte to them. Hell, he is listed as the poorest Senator in the senate.

Either way, you are right, they are both bad candidates

Mo250

Awards
Joe Biden, the man who was almost single handedly responsible for politicizing and criminalizing AAS use in the US.

Go team USA.

Nole1

Nole1

Awards
  • Established
For someone to state that McCain doesn't understand or know the meaning Honor, Loyalty and Respect only serves to confirm that person is a complete tool. Do a little research.

You may not agree with his political viewpoints, fine present your argument. Claiming you won't vote just confirms your inability to do so and make the best choice - hell, vote for Ralph Nader, write in Hillary Clintons name or Ron Paul. If you choose to silence your voice, you have no right to b1tch about the outcome though. Remember that.

I would say that the majority of the nation would agree that McCain is pretty solid from a character standpoint.

The jury is out on Obama, because no one really knows his history. Maybe he's a great guy, maybe he's a shady character. We'll probably never know though as he refuses to address anything head on - instead he dances around everything.

I'm not gonna vote this year, I hate both candidates, it's now up to a bunch of spineless dickless **** sucking faggot ass dumb as hell muther****ers to run this country.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
McCain is a war hero and veteran but that does not mean that the man doesn't have questionable integrity now. I have served with guys that I would never take a second guess when it came down to their loyalty to me and the other men in our unit but they also were not the type of men you would tell your kids to idolize.

You can honor and respect actions of an individual without doing a complete bow to everything this person does.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
He doesn't know, b/c its his wife's family that owns the majority of those properties.
While that could be true, he should know how many he and wife own aside from her family. Personally, I think all politicians are "out of touch" with most of society so, they should get that out of the way and move on.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
McCain is a war hero and veteran but that does not mean that the man doesn't have questionable integrity now. I have served with guys that I would never take a second guess when it came down to their loyalty to me and the other men in our unit but they also were not the type of men you would tell your kids to idolize.

You can honor and respect actions of an individual without doing a complete bow to everything this person does.

Its not just serving in the military. The fact that he refused to leave a POW camp until everyone could go. The fact that he probably pissed off every ultra right wing conservative with finance reform that was co-sponsored with the most liberal of Democrats. The fact that the total sum of dollars earmarked to John McCain is zero (no other senator can say that)....there are a whole list of examples throughout his career to the point where even the most long standing Democrats wouldn't question his integrity

Competence, leadership, judgement, etc....go for it...but integrity? Its an extreme reach. Hell I would say the same for Biden as well. He's arrogant, flies off the handle, makes horrendous blunders, but overall throughout his career you really can't pin much on him showing a lack of integrity (well, maybe copying a speech at one time but the list is short)

Obama? We don't really know him since he hasn't even served one Senate term. Hillary? Well, that goes without saying :)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Joe Biden, the man who was almost single handedly responsible for politicizing and criminalizing AAS use in the US.

Go team USA.
This, most definitely. I didn't see this choice until last night, and got a nasty sinking feeling right in my gut.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This, most definitely. I didn't see this choice until last night, and got a nasty sinking feeling right in my gut.
He probably would have less power as the VP to do anything about it anyway. That and the fact he probably will be focused on more pressing issues.

Keep telling yourself that...it might help you feel better :)

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would think he would have less time to worry about things like AA use as a VP. I would hope so anyways.

Bobo- It is a stretch but that's all I can do when trying to determine characteristics on peope i'll never meet and never knew personally. I just don't trust anyone, regardless of political affiliation. I really don't understand how people are flocking to Obama like he's a literal Godsend. I just saw a recent video called America Pray or Prayer and it disturbed me.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
McCain for Secretary of Defense.

Obama, well, he can...I don't know...What's Obama good at?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll hire him any time I need to prove to a supplement company why I should be the one to log their product.
he will get the job done!!!

In all honesty, he will be a good figure head for "hopefully" a good and appropriate cabinet.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For someone to state that McCain doesn't understand or know the meaning Honor, Loyalty and Respect only serves to confirm that person is a complete tool. Do a little research.

You may not agree with his political viewpoints, fine present your argument. Claiming you won't vote just confirms your inability to do so and make the best choice - hell, vote for Ralph Nader, write in Hillary Clintons name or Ron Paul. If you choose to silence your voice, you have no right to b1tch about the outcome though. Remember that.

I would say that the majority of the nation would agree that McCain is pretty solid from a character standpoint.

The jury is out on Obama, because no one really knows his history. Maybe he's a great guy, maybe he's a shady character. We'll probably never know though as he refuses to address anything head on - instead he dances around everything.
Just because Mccain is a war hero doesn't mean he's fit to be a president, I know decorated soldiers who I wouldn't question or doubt their loyalty with me, but are not fit to lead this country.

Freedom of speech does not end when I choose not to vote, it stays until I die.

Like I said whoever wins, won't make one bit of ****ing difference.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would think he would have less time to worry about things like AA use as a VP. I would hope so anyways.

Bobo- It is a stretch but that's all I can do when trying to determine characteristics on peope i'll never meet and never knew personally.
Hence the reason you research the candidate. If you can't make a judgement simply because you've never met someone, then I guess most on this forum have no integrity?

:D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just because Mccain is a war hero doesn't mean he's fit to be a president, I know decorated soldiers who I wouldn't question or doubt their loyalty with me, but are not fit to lead this country.
Nobody said he was...thats your assumption that you brought into this conversation.

Freedom of speech does not end when I choose not to vote, it stays until I die.
Have fun with that.

Like I said whoever wins, won't make one bit of ****ing difference.

Then why do you care?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Has this become a multi-quote masturbation thread?

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Show me where he stated we should elect him because he's a war hero.
Omen: These "men" do not know what the words honor, loyalty and respect mean or represent, everyone is out to further their own agenda and interests, both full of BS to the ****ing brim.

both candidates are ****ing horrible for this country, throwing around empty promises and words.

Referring to Obama and Mccain.

So if they did indeed have honor, loyalty and respect, they would be good, clear?

Nole1: For someone to state that McCain doesn't understand or know the meaning Honor, Loyalty and Respect only serves to confirm that person is a complete tool. Do a little research.

Refering to his Military status, if not, show me where else in research it would.

Clear?

Now we all understand.
Glad I cleared that up.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I've been around a bit longer than most of you and honestly since Richard Nixon bit it, there hasn't been much faith in the presidency from one side or the other. To me the most effective presidents have been Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton. Opposite sides of the spectrum, yes, but they got things done. We have been led by the biggest puppet head in history for the last 8 years. If you don't think Richard Cheny (You can't say the name D!ck on this site) is the puppet master, you also believe in chinese democracy. I for one do not wish to follow that blueprint any longer.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Omen: These "men" do not know what the words honor, loyalty and respect mean or represent, everyone is out to further their own agenda and interests, both full of BS to the ****ing brim.

both candidates are ****ing horrible for this country, throwing around empty promises and words.

Referring to Obama and Mccain.

So if they did indeed have honor, loyalty and respect, they would be good, clear?

Nole1: For someone to state that McCain doesn't understand or know the meaning Honor, Loyalty and Respect only serves to confirm that person is a complete tool. Do a little research.

Refering to his Military status, if not, show me where else in research it would.

Clear?

Yes, its clear the nole1 made a statement about his integrity and character and said nothing about being fit for President.

I'm still waiting for you to show where it stated since he's a war hero that he should be elected.

Once again, as I stated earlier, its your assumptions that brought anything related to Presidential criteria into this. Nobody else even mentioned it.

Glad I cleared that up.

Thanks Einstein.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been around a bit longer than most of you and honestly since Richard Nixon bit it, there hasn't been much faith in the presidency from one side or the other. To me the most effective presidents have been Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton. Opposite sides of the spectrum, yes, but they got things done. We have been led by the biggest puppet head in history for the last 8 years. If you don't think Richard Cheny (You can't say the name D!ck on this site) is the puppet master, you also believe in chinese democracy. I for one do not wish to follow that blueprint any longer.

Funny considering most people who commented on Obama's pick were saying how similar it is to Bush selecting Cheney.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, I love politics...

I still don't trust either candidate at this point and to answer you question about integrity and the users; Lack of proof of one doesn't prove another. All i'm saying is that his prison camp and war hero status doesn't mean all other actions automatically fall into a category of honor, trust and integrity.

I do research but it's limited considering anything I read or watch seems biased from the beginning and it gets tiresome picking the facts out of the bullshit. Try reading 5 stories of McCain leaving his first wife and you'll get 5 different stories.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, I love politics...

I still don't trust either candidate at this point and to answer you question about integrity and the users; Lack of proof of one doesn't prove another. All i'm saying is that his prison camp and war hero status doesn't mean all other actions automatically fall into a category of honor, trust and integrity.

I do research but it's limited considering anything I read or watch seems biased from the beginning and it gets tiresome picking the facts out of the bullshit. Try reading 5 stories of McCain leaving his first wife and you'll get 5 different stories.

Look at his legislature accomplishments and most controversial positions. Most have to do with ending corruption to the point where he pisses off his own party.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Funny considering most people who commented on Obama's pick were saying how similar it is to Bush selecting Cheney.
My question to you would be who are those "most" people you were listening to. I didn't get that at all from the people I heard from.
One thing about this years election is I firmly believe that if nothing else things will be brought up and discussed that have been glossed over for a very long time. A lot of it may be painful but, in the end I just hope that we as Americans develop a new and deeper understanding of each other even if we don't agree. The fact about politics just like religion is everybody is right just as everybody is wrong.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My question to you would be who are those "most" people you were listening to. I didn't get that at all from the people I heard from.
One thing about this years election is I firmly believe that if nothing else things will be brought up and discussed that have been glossed over for a very long time. A lot of it may be painful but, in the end I just hope that we as Americans develop a new and deeper understanding of each other even if we don't agree. The fact about politics just like religion is everybody is right just as everybody is wrong.

CNN, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, etc...

I'm not saying its right or wrong...for the most part, its pretty consistent with most campaigns. Get someone to shore up your weak areas..nothing new.

I just think its a stronger ticket (on paper) if you actually reversed them.

Mo250

Awards
Both of these candidates will leave America in generally the same sad situation. The FDA needs a total restart. The IRS needs a total restart. The Supreme Court needs a total restart (it has become a law making, activist entity, rather than sticking to the intent of our constitution). Our energy policies are being dictated by powerful corporations, rather than the needs of our people. People voting for either Obama or McCain are merely voting for more of the same -- a broken American government.

Nole1

Nole1

Awards
  • Established
LOL - I never said what McCain did made him fit for President. His actions did speak for his character though.

And yes, other than his time as a POW, how about campaign finance reform? Went for what he believed in rather than playing partisan politics. There are several examples of that throughout McCains tenure on the Senate, which is why so many GOP conservatives aren't thrilled that JM is the nominee. They cringe every time he and Joe Lieberman pose for another photo together.

Has he made some mistakes in his life, i.e. - previous marriages, choices, .............sure - but hell, he's 70+ years old. I double dog dare you to find a 70 yr old anywhere in the world that hasn't made a bad choice or ten. LOL. Perfection died on the cross a long damn time ago.

Yes Omen - you have freedom of speech even if you don't vote. Thousands of men and women fight for your rights daily. My point is........you need to pick a side, view, whatever, place your vote there and live with it. If you don't, then when whoever gets elected does something you don't like, the value of your opinion is nil since you didn't even have the cajones to man up and pick a side.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have that right to your opinion
Really? On my website? Who knew! :lol:

however, Joe Biden has tried to run for President without much success, obviously, time will tell
With very little money. Thats also why I said on paper. Voters rarely vote on the facts..they vote on perception.

I personally feel that Obama is the right man at the right time, we'll see.
For what, I have no idea...but you have the right to your opinion! :D

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Hillary and obama are bought and paid for show ponies running to provide extreme examples of differnet choices. When something really sucks you look for somthing totally different to try to make right. Id say mccain is the us's only hope at a low corruption non puppet president.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Hillary and obama are bought and paid for show ponies running to provide extreme examples of differnet choices. When something really sucks you look for somthing totally different to try to make right. Id say mccain is the us's only hope at a low corruption non puppet president.
You're kidding , right? John McCain sold his soul for this nomination and when he picks his mortal enemy Romney for his vice presidential running mate, it will be proven. He is not the man he was in 2000 (yeah I know, none of us are) he's gone backwards imo.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
they are all bought and paid for, every last one of them

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're kidding , right? John McCain sold his soul for this nomination and when he picks his mortal enemy Romney for his vice presidential running mate, it will be proven. He is not the man he was in 2000 (yeah I know, none of us are) he's gone backwards imo.

Its the height of hypocrisy for an Obama supporter to say anything about selling one's soul. That guy has pulled more reversals in the the last 3 months than McCain has done in the last 10 years.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its the height of hypocrisy for an Obama supporter to say anything about selling one's soul. That guy has pulled more reversals in the the last 3 months than McCain has done in the last 10 years.
Is he able to give himself a reacharound yet?