Electronic BF Tester at Gym got me at 28%!!

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I go to Gold's Gym and I asked a personal trainer there if they'd give me a body fat % test, so they asked my height, weighed me, and gave me an electronic thing to hold in my hand. It came back with 28%. I'm thinking this is way high.

My pics are below, any estimates...

Attachments

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
That sounds alot better than 28%!

Those electronic BF thingies seem pretty useless.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are so many variables that impact the impedance machines: hydration, where you hold it, etc. They can be accurate if you use them on a consistent basis, but it must be under the exact same conditions every time.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
A huge 25%. Just getting back to the gym consistently will get you to the high teens relatively soon.
I wish that were the case, I've been hitting the gym and eating clean religously for the past couple of months. I started at 285 got down to 275 in a couple of weeks, and have hit a roadblock at 275 and haven't made any improvements since early April.

My lifts are mostly back up though, which is nice.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like insulin issues. Try no carb for a few weeks to shake up the insulin insensitivity.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like insulin issues. Try no carb for a few weeks to shake up the insulin insensitivity.

I've been doing the Anabolic Diet for the last few weeks. I posted my diet in the weight loss section.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PPAR-alpha supplements (SesaThin, DCP) would also be a good idea to help with VAT burning.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
i lost alot more bodyfat when i found a gym that didnt have an A/C. stickit to the man... mom and pop gyms foe sure!

walugi

walugi

Awards
Ive got a scale for BW and BF but i'm pretty sure its off. If I go on it at night it used to say 19%, but if i go on in the morning it'd say 24%.

Now it just always says 20% although i've maintained my weight and increased my lifts/size

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input guys...

What do you guys think about the velocity diet? I think I may give that a go.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Screw measuring bodyfat. Use a mirror, if you are happy with what you see, well then be happy. Measuring bodyfat is just pointless. You can use a mirror and be more than happy with the changes you see.

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
Well depending on where you go...the trainers test on the high side to shock you in to buying training sessions.

Flyboy

Flyboy

Awards
  • Established
I hate those electric things...

I used one in the condition in my avatar/gallery and it told me I had 24% bodyfat.

I'm thinking probably not quite right... I'm not exactly experienced in it but i'd say I was/am looking more like 12%.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
The one I use at my gym gives me a 7.5% BF... doing a skinfold analysis I am at ~9.5%.

There are many factors as Rodja said... although hydration seems to impact it the most. Go to the gym thirtsy, test it, then slug water your whole work out and test it again when you leave.. you'll see a big difference.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Try the lifestyle diet. It is a consistent healthy nutrition plan that is based around your carb or insulin sensitivity, your protein and fat requirements, and is not a diet. It is a way of living. All you do to reduce weight or fat is reduce the calories and to gain lbm increase the calories. Life more abundantly.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
Well depending on where you go...the trainers test on the high side to shock you in to buying training sessions.

yeah i sense a little Dodgeball White Goodman going on. ya no when he told the guy to add 3 lbs to the scales in the women's locker room.

tdez

Awards
go to the doctor and get it done if costs 5 dollars and takes literally like 5 min well worth it in my opinion

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you might want to lower your calories to say 2500 per day, and try a total body workout three times a week. my old workout partner lost two inches off his waist doing the workout 6 times, and restricting carbs (which you're already doing).

the rest of his weight was stubborn. took much longer to come off.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
you might want to lower your calories to say 2500 per day, and try a total body workout three times a week. my old workout partner lost two inches off his waist doing the workout 6 times, and restricting carbs (which you're already doing).

the rest of his weight was stubborn. took much longer to come off.
This is an old thread, I'm right around 20% now and have lost 3 inches off my waist since this thread. I'll post new pics soon.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
wow. this is an old thread. post up new pics to keep it fresh!!

DT5

Awards
  • Established
dont let these dudes fool you. you are no more than 17% or so. not at 20% yet.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
What makes you say that?

The Electronic BF% machine got me at 23% last week, and has got me as low as 21%. I think I'm near 20%, but I really have no way of knowing.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
He is at least 20%. I liked the 22% est. Those bf indicators are for people who are considered obese. Especially when the conditions of measurement have to be so specific. They can be off as much as 6% either way. IE, if it reads 28%, then you could be either 22%, or 34%. They are not very accurate at all. If you wanted a better measurement, go with a caliper. What I do is go down to our local university, they have a tank there. The charge $20 to get dipped and it's accurate within .1% or something crazy.

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
It's also based on the water you intake, because it sends electrical current thru your body to give you a # and you're def around 25% - 30% is obese lol.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This sh*t works pretty good and it only cost $15 delivered at your house

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Measure-Fitness-3000-Personal-Tester/dp/B000G7YW74/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1231191952&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 Personal Body Fat Tester: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

BamaGuy1024

Isn't there a more accurate way to read body fat percentage? Don't I remember an immersion technique?

k24civic

Awards
as stated before those electronic ones arent very accurate way to many variables. Only true way to find out is the water displacement test. If you continue to use it though you can monitor loses and gains of BF if used regularly

emperorhorde

Awards
thats not 28 no way trust me i know 28 and more

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
:eek:uttahere:
It's also based on the water you intake, because it sends electrical current thru your body to give you a # and you're def around 25% - 30% is obese lol.
There is no way that he is 5% from obese.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Lol, everyone is an expert at guessing bodyfat I guess.

Electronic BF tests have a swing of like 5%. Calipers have 2-3 if I remember correctly and a dunk tank can get closer.

Numbers aren't super important, take pics and go by the mirror and it will be much more rewarding than guessing numbers. The only time I used numbers is when I tried to get my BMI to be obese and still have a six pack (almost got it too lol).

codywaters

codywaters

Awards

ITS F-IN HARD! I think I have a lot of discipline but I can not do that damn diet. Its not like I enjoy food that much, its just that I hate the pains in my stomach.

OH, to the original post... those machines are useless... either way, you should not be happy with your current blankets of fat you are covering your muscles with. Once you unveil them, you will never do that **** to yourself again. speaking from experience...

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
why not just get a caliper and do some pinches and record the measurements then just plug them in here http://www.linear-software.com/online.html I think they go as detailed as 5 points or so, then when you measure do it a couple of times and take the average and enter it into the site

Vught

Awards
I think we generally under estimate our bodyfat percentages by 5% give or take. When I see people on hard cuts prior to a competition I realize yes I'm carrying alot of fat still even going from 6-2 285 to my current 215 in 4 years.

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Old thread but yeah people underestimate there BF by huge amounts. If the OP really started at 22% BF he would have had 210lb muscle with zero fat. That would make unreal look small as he doest even break 200lb of lbm. People gotta factor math into the equation to see if it actually makes sense. I mean we all wanna think were less but if the math says it's not possible than you know your wrong.

Some people hold BF real evenly and don't look like they have a gut even thouh they are 28% and others have a gut at 22% so you really need to see a few views and factor in various things to try to estimate. When in doubt add 3% lol

bill86

bill86

Awards
  • Established
^^^^^yeah, whats up with all these crazy estimates on these bodyfat pics... this guy is NOT over 20