New vs Old...honestly which one looks better to you?

Which do you find more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, old or new?

• New - I love me some roid raged man muscle!

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • Old - I love me some greek god hot studmuffin of old!

Votes: 120 87.0%
  • Um ahhhh I dunno cause I dont like um make decishunz?

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think I like the flex wheeler build the best.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Flex Wheeler, Dexter Jackson, Dorian Yates, Silvio Samuel.

I want to see a picture of Neoborn so I can form a better opinion. :D

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think someone is embelishing. I bet the shween smiley on need be half that size to cover the goods.lol

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
How much $$$ will it cost to get a pic without the smilies ?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Flex Wheeler, Dexter Jackson, Dorian Yates, Silvio Samuel.

I want to see a picture of Neoborn so I can form a better opinion. :D
Silvio's abs kinda creep me out.

Dexter has a flawless physique, IMO. Perfect about 2-3 years ago before he started to develop a somewhat distended stomach.

But Phil Heath, right now has what I would call the best size/symetry/overall look.

Last edited:
Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Gimme Arnies body and day! then i think Frank Zane had the second best look. Not freakishly huge like Ronny.

yosahab

yosahab

Awards
Has to be the old natural non-roid gut look.......lol

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I've always been a fan of Arnold's size and proportions. He'd have to be my favorite. The newer age bodybuilders have just gone TOO big IMO and so it lacks the desirable quality of back in the 70's.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I've always been a fan of Arnold's size and proportions. He'd have to be my favorite. The newer age bodybuilders have just gone TOO big IMO and so it lacks the desirable quality of back in the 70's.
What about Heath and Dex?

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
i think its fair to say arnies legs are not up to par with his upper body. Dex is more in proportion id say. either way i'd still take arnie. Cant go past that chest and those arms.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
OLD SCHOOL! I hate the pushed out roid gut. Like when the old school guys did the abdomin twistwing to show he back, half the guys these days couldn't pull that.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im with the majority, its just the midsection has got to be slim and the oldies win hands down there.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
midsections look totally different. Wheeler looks awesome in those early shots.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I think Phil Heath's deltoids and arms throw his chest out of proportion, i think they're too big for his chest and upper body cavity, if that makes sense.

Dexter Jackson has a much more symmetical body in my opinion, and his serratus muscles are almost scarily defined. I can't say anything bad about him, I think its just I like the older look (stomach vacuum, tight abs but not bulging abs, small waists real broad shoulders)

Personally I think a lot of the newer bodybuilders juice so hard, they start to lose natural symmetry. Let me explain real quick, in the 70's the guys had back width, but it was tapered. You know, the classic V look. Now its almost a T look that starts at the midsection, because the lats aren't sloped they POP straight out. Just personal preference I guess.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
yeah. you can really see that difference in the back shot with yates, coleman, and arnold.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I do agree with that Heath comment, but I am most definitely the same exact way as my delts and arms dwarf my chest, so i guess thats why partial too him.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I do agree with that Heath comment, but I am most definitely the same exact way as my delts and arms dwarf my chest, so i guess thats why partial too him.
I feel your pain on a whole other level :(

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Old school all the way. Heath and Jackson of the new age is nice since they the closet to the old school. The size of the new age is pretty sick. Sick as in bad.

Is it me or do the old school look stronger? I have always thought that.

schmoove

schmoove

Awards
Put my vote in for the old school guys. Their physiques are just more appealing to me. Although I have always liked Flex Wheeler. In a couple of those pics, he almost doesn't even look real.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
just picked up a flex mag. Heath looks good but im a tall guy so i like the longer look kinda like arnold had. I dont like these lee priest type bb'ers. Sorry shorties. Nabisco Dexs serratus look the best ive ever seen i think.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
that's a problem a lot of us would like to have !

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Piston, are you talking smack about my boy Lee?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Guys what about Brian Buchanan ? He has the craziest shoulder to waist ratio I think bodybuilding has ever seen.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
the guy above looks perfect. guys today are too freaking big. stupid judges are to blame

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
He was nuts...like a 27-28 inch waist

oh my god, how wouldthat dude even buy a pair of jeans with a waist like that and quads like that.....

i forgot about Bertil Fox.....before he shot his wife.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He was nuts...like a 27-28 inch waist

that guy looks nuts! huge arms and that waist...ok i was in 5th grade with a waist like that i think lol.

and yes i was stating how stubby that guy is PI (lee priest) i bet he wishes he was a couple feet taller. I remember him talking about his arms and how big they were or somthing, but there is no were else for the muscle to go!!! it just stays in that section it can only grow outward if you know wat i mean.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im gonna have to go with Frank Zane...i think asthetics are impressive in his case....the coleman gut is a horable look for bodybuilding!!!!....old school hands down.......that Brain Buchanan shot is rather impressive tho....

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I personally like the new guys, the bigger the better imo.

Oh and is it possible to lose rep? cause my rep has decreased a lot from yesterday.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like Heath's and Dex's circa 2003. Flex in the early 90's had an incredible physique, but I still would love to have a Frank Zane/Bob Paris type of physique. Aesthetic, yet athletic.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
the incorperation of gh,and igf-1 does have health benefits....but today people have no regard for safe use in the pro bb world ......sad actually

Beige

Awards
  • Established
I'm shocked that the newer guys didn't get more votes. I have love and respect for greats like Arny and Lee, but Ronny has brought it to a whole new level of expectation. I think that legs have really come the farthest since the days of Arny, in size and definition. Anyways the reason that I'm surprised about the landslide for old is that this website is about supplement and AAS education, and most of us attribute the mass explosion of recent greats to increased use. I agree but also would like to point out that the guys today have access to better and more stuff. However we can't as bodybuilders ourselves deny the fact that every aspect of the sport is constantly evolving and being reinvented and we're kind of forced to build in the path of our own eras.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I like the legs of today fo sho. I hate roid gut though and just tons of unfunctional muscle, be big yes but be able to use it and move freely!

The legs of old were sad!

I still pick Serge Nubret over any other builder though. Shawn Ray is the closest "new" bodybuilder I would pick.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I'm shocked that the newer guys didn't get more votes. I have love and respect for greats like Arny and Lee, but Ronny has brought it to a whole new level of expectation. I think that legs have really come the farthest since the days of Arny, in size and definition. Anyways the reason that I'm surprised about the landslide for old is that this website is about supplement and anabolic steroids education, and most of us attribute the mass explosion of recent greats to increased use. I agree but also would like to point out that the guys today have access to better and more stuff. However we can't as bodybuilders ourselves deny the fact that every aspect of the sport is constantly evolving and being reinvented and we're kind of forced to build in the path of our own eras.
I think the legs of today are way over done to be honest. I like more of a median between the days of Arny and Coleman-like legs. If Nubret brought his legs up a bit I think that would be ideal. Sergio is another guy I think has a good upper/lower balance.

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
Colemans Quads ,always impressed me in these recent years,You know the guy can't buy a pair of jeans,why you think he's always wearin' sweats...he has no choice..Plus his back is amazing......But I have to say,Cutlers Back in 06' Olympia is what won him the title...IMO...hands down,check out the poseoff on you tube..everytime he was next to Ronnie his back just looked huge,his latspread was amazing that day...I can see why he won...But I can see how Ronnie could have won also...But I would agree Jays Lat Spread had him that day.Culter was pretty Swole in 06'
Also comparing Old vs New isn't really fair...Old school wouldn't even be in the top 5 these days anymore...that "roid gut" comes with the territory,Its impossible to get that big without eating...and having your gut constantly stuffed to the gills to get every nutrient you can...I think its wrong to back the roid gut when thats what it takes to be a Big Dog;)

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Colemans Quads ,always impressed me in these recent years,You know the guy can't buy a pair of jeans,why you think he's always wearin' sweats...he has no choice..Plus his back is amazing......But I have to say,Cutlers Back in 06' Olympia is what won him the title...IMO...hands down,check out the poseoff on you tube..everytime he was next to Ronnie his back just looked huge,his latspread was amazing that day...I can see why he won...But I can see how Ronnie could have won also...But I would agree Jays Lat Spread had him that day.Culter was pretty Swole in 06'
Also comparing Old vs New isn't really fair...Old school wouldn't even be in the top 5 these days anymore...that "roid gut" comes with the territory,Its impossible to get that big without eating...and having your gut constantly stuffed to the gills to get every nutrient you can...I think its wrong to back the roid gut when thats what it takes to be a Big Dog;)
the gutt is from growth hormone and igf-1,....not food.....

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Everyone is talking like the older guys actually wanted to look like that on purpose. You think if they had the gear to look like the newer guys today they wouldn't have used it? ofcourse they would.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Everyone is talking like the older guys actually wanted to look like that on purpose. You think if they had the gear to look like the newer guys today they wouldn't have used it? ofcourse they would.
hmmmmmm true,true

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
the gutt is from growth hormone and igf-1,....not food.....
GH may have some play with it,IGf-1 I dont think so much though honestly..but it takes more food to feed the beast of today vs. the beast of yesterday....:afro:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GH may have some play with it,IGf-1 I dont think so much though honestly..but it takes more food to feed the beast of today vs. the beast of yesterday....:afro:
Id have to agree somewhat. The new guys in the off season are huge and their guts too. Its not only from GH or other peptides its also viscereal fat. A mix of both but id lean towards the growth hormone/ igf more.

I just thought about something....what if a pro only ate compressed food that was concentrated in some way taking less room in the gut....maybe they could still be as big as the monsters with smaller midsections.....

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I just thought about something....what if a pro only ate compressed food that was concentrated in some way taking less room in the gut....maybe they could still be as big as the monsters with smaller midsections.....
Insects would fit the bill I believe. Higher protein content per gram of cooked 'meat' than any other source I think. So, to avoid the distended guts, the new Cockroach and grub diet!

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
VAT has been attributed with heavy androgen use as well, to add to the organ grown speculation of GH/IGF.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
:woohoo: Let us be thankful that they didn't. I mean really they are inspiring, for me personally today's guys are not. If I could reach the goals ( will reach my best ) I would choose serge and then focus on legs!:dance:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
They may have used advanced training and drugs, but the aesthetics would have stayed in place I think for a while, at least until mass monsters became more prominent.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
They may have used advanced training and drugs, but the aesthetics would have stayed in place I think for a while, at least until mass monsters became more prominent.
I don't know about that..maybe. Pro body builders in my opinion all share certain personality traits. I believe if the gear we have today was availabe to them at there time they would look like what we see today. The mentality of pro BB's is not to say no to size. Theirs no doubt in my mind if you went back to the days of Frank Zane and magically put Cutler on stage with him at the O people would be disgusted with Cutlers freakish size, they would gladly embrace it and be fascinated. Or if you asked Arnold if he wanted to have legs like Coleman, no way in hell would he say no.

I give the old guys all the respect in the world but sometimes the old are glorified just for being old.