My son trying to suppliment lol

lifter2005

lifter2005

Awards
I guess hes trying to get as thick as my pitbull
Im sure your pitbull is a wonderful pet, but I would NEVER let my baby et that close to any dog while it was eating, let alone a pitbull.

p.s Thank you for your service in Iraq.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My first response was going to be how cute it looked then I read the respose above me...Sudden image of dog going for the head came to mind.

Then again it could be like my dog where you could punt him across the yard and he just shakes it off and runs around licking ya :)

Anywho, cool pic and cute :p

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Obviously you guys have got Pitbulls all wrong nor have you ever owned one. Pitbulls are only as bad as they're owner treats them. I have had three and all were fun loving canines who wouldn't harm a fly. Now a cat on the other hand. They are one of the best tempered breeds in the world. The only reason you hear about Pits attacking people is because they're one of the few breeds that have the strength and power to kill/maim.

In fact, here's a picture of him with my daughter. Pits are also good family dogs because of their high pain tolerance. My little girl is always sitting and laying and hanging all over our dog. He just shrugs it off and walks away. Sorry 2fast2live, had to defend a good breed. I'm sure you'll agree.

Attachments

lifter2005

lifter2005

Awards
I wasnt attacking pitbulls only, I said..."I would NEVER let my baby et that close to any dog while it was eating, let alone a pitbull."
I also said that Im sure your dog is a "wonderful pet".
The 3 years i was a Police Officer i responded to roughly 40-50 "dog bite" complaints, and out out of all of them, only about 10 were not pitbull related.
You are right about them being as bad as their owner treats them.
To reiterate: I wasnt attacking the pitbull breed. I was just saying I wouldnt let my baby get that close to a dog while it was feeding. When dogs get hungry, they do get more aggressive.
If the pic was taken with a labrador, I would have said the same thing.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Believe it or not, not all dogs are food aggressive. Depends on temperment and breed. I just love it when people ask what kind of dog we have (knowing we have children) and assume that he's going to eat them or some stupid ****. Of course you never hear about fatal chihuahua attacks. :rolleyes:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, more of a dog while feeding thing than any type of breed...Anyways cute pic. Don't want to derail your pic thread. We can discuss dogs in someone else's thread :p

swollengoat999

Awards
Food aggression is a temperment issue -- and should -- like any other misplaced aggression -- be considered absolutely unacceptable in any normally raised pet. (i'm excluding abused/starved animals/etc.) my pit was raised to understand her place among the alphas of our pack (read=the human members of the pack) and the social structure at large. Pits, like many other dogs, like to test boundaries -- and absolutely will take the dominant role if the owner fails to make that position their own. an owner that fails to understand their responsibility in the proper socialization and development of their dog -- regardless of the breed -- should not have the right to own one.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I love pitbulls. Pits and Rotties, best dogs I've ever known. Two cute pics too, and I'm not a fan of rug rats.

hyoogeness

Awards
my pitbull tends to have a nice disposition - he's also on "happy drugs," but that doesn't stop him from periodically attacking the smaller dogs when food is being eaten. in his defense, his manner of attacking is to move his mouth (not biting but making the motion) and growl a lot - no actual harm being done but it's very scary when he does it.

edit: i've also been bit (face) by a husky who's general a very sweet dog. no long lasting dmg, but i did need stitches.

2fast2live

Awards
WOW ok Lucy my pit, is the 4th one ive owned. Ive spent years training this breed of dog, not to mention countless hours training my sisters pit. 1st off my dog is not food agressive, if she was do you really think i would let my 9 month old son get near her bowl? 2nd any dog i own would be put down if they showed any kind of aggressive behavior torward a human. Contrary to popular belief, pits are not naturally human agressive, dog agressive yes. The pits you hear about attacking humans were poorly bred, abused, or both. Add that to the fact that too many people dont recognise small signs of agressivness and or dont know how to deal with them, and youve got a problem waiting to happen. Im happy for your concern but when it comes to this breed, this dog in particular, and my son, im very responcible.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Believe it or not, not all dogs are food aggressive. Depends on temperment and breed. I just love it when people ask what kind of dog we have (knowing we have children) and assume that he's going to eat them or some stupid ****. Of course you never hear about fatal chihuahua attacks. :rolleyes:
The domestic north american natedogg has been known to become agressive when somebody screws with its tofu or its animal crackers.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Looks like he is ready to start Deadlifting.

Awesome pic!

2fast2live

Awards
Thanks guys, really my pit Lucy is a wonderfull dog, she used to spend hours just laying her head on my wifes belly when she was pregnant with my son. When we brought him home, the first thing Lucy did when she saw him was lay on her back so he could nurse if he needed. It was an act my wife and i still smile about.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I didn't even bother to read those comments. Pits are awesome dogs, its all relative to how you raise/train them. Unfortunately, many people train them to be agressive and while its in their nature, this type of training gives them a horrible rep. Also, its very unfortunate that these dogs have been widely bred to fight, making it a part of their blood. But like I said....

Beautiful dog btw.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Didn't Ronnie Coleman say he ate dog food too? Your son might be on to something.

While I do understand some people's fear of letting a baby near a dog when eating, I also understand some people's comfort.

When I first had my puppy, I always made sure to take her food away when she was eating. At times, I would even tell her to stop midchew and let me take the food out (which proved quite useful when she was eating something that could harm her). I could grab her tongue if I wanted to or push her to the side while I pretended to eat her food. Not once did she even show any signs of complaint that I remember - she knew she would get the food eventually.

She always had a great temperment, but I just wanted some insurance that she would never display any aggresive tendancies when eating (especially because my family also just had a brand new baby). You can guess who my mother said would leave if there ever was a problem between her baby and mine (dog).

I clearly remember 1 time when the baby grabbed both of my dog's ears and continued to yank on them. My dog yelped several times loudly in pain, but the baby would not let go. My dog then started licking the baby's face - which disgusted the baby, and the baby let go, LoL. After that, I knew there would never be a problem.

I was more worried about my dog than the kid after that...(and this is the same dog who was growling and barking at a bear at our cabin. Of course I forgot to mention how quickly she snuck in the cabin, and then only got vocal once the door closed, LoL)

2fast2live

Awards
Hey Sunder, knowing we would eventually have a baby in the house i trained my dog in a similar manner.
LOTS of time has been spent getting her used to kids of all ages since she was a wee 5 weeks old. This has payed off greatly. Its nice to take her to petsmart, have her play with the kids there, and represent the breed in a positive mannor.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
WOW ok Lucy my pit, is the 4th one ive owned. Ive spent years training this breed of dog, not to mention countless hours training my sisters pit. 1st off my dog is not food agressive, if she was do you really think i would let my 9 month old son get near her bowl? 2nd any dog i own would be put down if they showed any kind of aggressive behavior torward a human. Contrary to popular belief, pits are not naturally human agressive, dog agressive yes. The pits you hear about attacking humans were poorly bred, abused, or both. Add that to the fact that too many people dont recognise small signs of agressivness and or dont know how to deal with them, and youve got a problem waiting to happen. Im happy for your concern but when it comes to this breed, this dog in particular, and my son, im very responcible.
To add to that.. Most dog bites that are said to be from 'pitbulls' infact are from dogs who look like pitbulls, or pit bull mixes, and not infact APBT. The general public does not know what a APBT looks like..

Here be my guest..
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Findthebull/findpitbull_v3.html

I own 4, 2 live in my house with my wife and I, and 2 live with my mother and her family. THey are the best dogs i have ever owned, and all i will own.

You do have to raise them right. They require alot of attention, and have a good amount of energy as they are terriers. You need to socialize them from puppies, and have them around other people and dogs. You need to step on their feet, pull their ears, etc. They need to know that kind of stuff happens in life, and they will be ok. Alot of bites are fear bites, or redirects.

As was said APBT was never meant to be a man biter, but were bred to be agressive towards other animals. Man biters were either put down, or neutered and not bred. That is why pits are not the best guard dogs. And alot of pitbull yards will have another breed of dog guarding the pits.

ALso check this out, to see the softer side of these dogs.
http://www.strongerthanall.net/kidsnpits

Dave-

2fast2live

Awards
oops sorry about the double post, i thought one didnt go through

2fast2live

Awards
BTW its nice to see so many other people on here that are in formed and have a love for this breed

Tad50

Awards
I love pits....have one of my own (brindle). She is the most affectionate dog I've seen...with people that is. With other dogs it's a whole other story. One day I was walking my dog off-leash around my apartment complex. She went up to another dog that was being walked....the other dog growled at my pit....my dog snapped and sent the other dog to the vet. Luckily the owner was a very understanding lady and wasn't one of those anti-pit people. I felt real bad and offered to pay for the bill. TRUST me....my dog will NEVER be off-leash again.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I've got 2 pure bread chocolate labs and 1 pure bread black lab, if you didn't notice i love my dogs, lol. I've always liked Pitbulls,labs, boxers, rotties, they are all really nice dogs and i've never met an unfriendly pitbull, by nature they are supposed to be like a boxer so silly and playful. I'd love to get one in the future, for the owners of pitbulls what would you suggest i do as far as checking out blood lines and so on.

2fast2live

Awards
The best way to go is to check out some reputable breeders. I favor breeders with kids because they seem to pay closer attension to temperment. You can check out many breeder near you on the web, when you find one that looks good, go give them a visit. Look for good living conditions, pay attension to the temperment of the ***** and sire of the litter, and get hands on with all the puppies. A really good breeder will ask you many questions to make sure their pup is going to a good home. Also, shop around, remember its a purchase youll be living with for the next 10 to 12 years.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Awesome Pic! He's startin out early.

2fast2live

Awards
Yeah, im thinking hes gonna be a lot bigger than me, but thats not too tough, being im only 5ft6. He is a strong little tike though

*Bulldog*

Awards
Great pic bro! and beautiful dog!! I have 3 of them myself. All males. :D

personalbest

Awards
I have never had any problems with pits. I have had 3 and the only thing that I notice is aggression towards other dogs.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I have 3 friends who have pits. They all have kids too. Never heard anything but how wonderful their dogs are. Dogs get bad raps in alot of cases. Alot of the dogs that scare people are actually some of the best. My cousin has a mean looking doberman but it is a big baby and really friendly. I have a golden retriever, which is anything but mean or scary. He's like having a big clumsy, happy, kid around.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I find that the smaller dogs are the more vicious ones, i had a ****apoo bite my one lab, and finally my dog had enough bite back and threw the thing, LMFAO!

2fast2live

Awards
My other pit, Gunny, i gave to my sister. She has four kids and cant imagine life without him now. He is the best dog they have ever had. My sister laughs about ever imagining having a 70lb pitbull as a beloved family member.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
I have a 15 month old son and another 1 on the way in June and I have 3 pits. They let my son walk all over them, my sister on the other hand has a dalmatian that has bite her son twice already. Why she still has it I will never understand but anyway. Pits are in my option the best breed to have with kids because they love and would do anything for there family and can take anything that kids can dish out. Had to give my 2 cents when I seen talk of pits :twisted:

Attachments

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Pits are in my option the best breed to have with kids because they love and would do anything for there family and can take anything that kids can dish out.
Definately.

Nice Pits BTW. The white one looks just like our Pit.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The common myth about pitbulls is that it is an dangerous but the truth is that fighting breeds tend to be people/human friendly and animal(eg dog) aggressive because of selective breeding.

In any case, I would train children to always leave a dog's food/blankie/toys well alone and never pull whiskers/ears/tails or grope around maw. And never ever disturb a sleeping dog especially an old cranky dog.

It might be endearing to see dog treating infants as their own but it has some drawbacks. The problem is that dogs administer doggy discipline with a warning bite on the snout. A puppy has tough skin and fur but it might take out an eye and leave puncture wounds on a child face.

The point is that dogs deserve the same amount of respect another child would receive, and older dogs more so. The reason that dogs put up with annoying children is that the dog thinks its the omega dog at the bottom of the totem pole. Of course normal horseplay and roughhousing is something totally different.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah I agree the owners are what give pitbulls a bad name I have one and she’s very gentle. You have to know your dog and there is one thing I noticed about pit bulls and that is they are sensitive and maybe a little insecure. That’s a really bad profile for a guard dog, discipline is not the answer with this breed love is. Yes they need lots of affection and reassurance. Given a good loving home, a pitbull makes an excellent pet.

LL-Cool-T

Awards
I too have owned Pittbulls and I loved them...in fact...I had to take a double look at that rednose in the pic...I had a male rednose just like that one with seal cut ears and everything...I learned something the easy way with both of my dogs...my dogs were there for me during a tough time in my life...we were kinda like a family...I purchased a new house with a big backyard and they were in heaven...they became very territorial (sp) and soon they were barking at anything that came close to my fence...at first I was glad they were guarding my stuff...then, I noticed them barking at children that were coming over to my house...not just barking...they were trying to eat them through the glass...this kinda scared me and I started watching them closer...the problem worsened over time...I never taught my dogs to be aggressive nor have I ever beat them or did anything to make them aggressive...they did this on their own...it goes with the breed..they are bred to be aggressive dogs and they were just that...I had to give them away to great homes and they are still treated like a perfect king and queen...for that I am grateful...however...they are not to be trusted around children no matter how cool they seem...they just wake up pissed off one day...check out some of the pittbull attacks on children on ogrish.com...this can happen to any child that is near a dog...dont leave it up to the dog to ruin your kids life...now ex wives...thats a whole other story.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
My pup tryion is a pit and people run when they see him comin... He runs up like he is on the attic but is just a very playfull guy. He's really a big vag

image-874102542.jpg

R3ACTION

R3ACTION

Awards
Yah I agree the owners are what give pitbulls a bad name I have one and she’s very gentle. You have to know your dog and there is one thing I noticed about pit bulls and that is they are sensitive and maybe a little insecure. That’s a really bad profile for a guard dog, discipline is not the answer with this breed love is. Yes they need lots of affection and reassurance. Given a good loving home, a pitbull makes an excellent pet.
I agree, the city I grew up in had very strict laws regarding the breed. We had neighbors that neglected those laws while breeding them. They lived in a small two bedroom home and had multiple breeding pairs. I never saw any of them outside unless one managed to escape. The first incident was when my wife was outside gardening 8 months pregnant and a large female attempted to attack her. Luckily my dog quickly ended that situation. Sadly incidents like this continued to occur and we had to call and report it. All the dogs in the home were put down because they were deemed as very aggressive and they had a handicapped toddler in the home. Bad owners make for bad dogs especially with Pit Bulls.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
DSC-005228resized29.jpg

DSC-004328resized29.jpg

These are my babies. The fawn girl is my son's he is 4. He would be lost without her, he feeds her, waters her, sleeps with her. This girl would go to the end of the world and back for my son.

The APBT is not a man biting dog, the have been known in the past to cary animal aggressive behaviors, however the evolution of breeding has changed that.I own 7 Grand Champion APBT and have been breeding for 10 years. All my dogs have the best temperaments and have no food aggression, dog or animal aggression, people aggression, or any other aggressive tendacies. I breed them to be companions, I have dogs all over the US and Europe. A good breader carefully selects owners. I will not sell to just anyone. There is a background check and interview process. The APBT have a bad image because of horrible owners who use the good traits of this dog (courage, will to please human) against them.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
image-3883585516.jpg

Pic of my 3 kids... Front to back.

Rocky, mastiff/choc lab 4
Tryion, red nose pit 1
Luna, chow/lab 13!

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
^^^^ thats what I am talking about. All lounging together.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Rocky Hanging out of that bed is funny. it's not his...three beds and they all interchange and sleep wherever they like. The bed he is in is tryions....

retrofitted

Awards
Absolutely gorgeous dogs in this thread. A testament to loving and well-informed ownership.