ronnie / dorian / arnold back comparison

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Arnold's back looks so much drier and vascular though.

G

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
It may just be because it was at the O, but Dorian's back has SO much more detail and seperation.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
True, BUT...how about the amount of drugs guys like Arnold took compared to Yates and Coleman.

F

french_muscle

Awards
  • Established
I think ronnie gots the best one, without hesitation

True, BUT...how about the amount of drugs guys like Arnold took compared to Yates and Coleman.
you mean that arnold took way less drugs than yates and coleman right ?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i say arnold has the best. looks like slabs of muscle on top of more slabs.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Yates = most dense
Coleman = widest
Arnold = ... oldest ... but still good :lol:

N

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ronnie without a doubt !
I friggin hate those "virtual posedown" pics.

They are done by a guy who loves to suck Arnold's schlong. As such, if you know photography you can EASILY see that the lighting for the Dorian and Ronnie pics are poor but the lighting for Arnold is perfect.

Arnold's picture is also:

1) Sharpened
2) not too scale; Arnold is the same height as Ronnie and Dorian.

If you want proof its not even remotely to scale, look at their arms. Arnold is well documented as having 19 inch arms in contest. Ronnie and Dorian had 22 inch or larger. In that picture they make Arnold's arms look bigger, and not only that, they make his triceps look bigger which we all know is a joke.

P

punta

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
atleast no one will mistake my avatar anymore.....

C

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established

1) Sharpened

arnold is 6-3

neither coleman nor yates is that tall

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't doubt it if all 3 of those pics were touched up somewhat, but I think Yates has the best from these 3.

Y

Yjyankee

More Cowbell
Awards
  • Established
sounds like someone's got a case of the Monday's...:stick:

Myself, I've always been in awe of the pic of Yates. IMO, Ronnie's pic looks a little altered as well..

N

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
arnold is 6-3

neither coleman nor yates is that tall
Arnold is 5'11, 6'0 tops. My brother and I have met him in person. Arnold has always lied about his height and Weider has always exaggerated the height of top bodybuilders in the IFBB as much as VM did with wrestlers in the WWF and WWE.

Arnold wears some serious lifts and he wasn't even as tall as my brother who is 6'1".

C

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
are you serious? i always wondered how i'm 6-3 230 and <10% BF and i'm nowhere near arnolds size; even when he stated he was 230 contest.

it makes alot more sense now.....

V

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Arnold is 5'11, 6'0 tops. My brother and I have met him in person. Arnold has always lied about his height and Weider has always exaggerated the height of top bodybuilders in the IFBB as much as VM did with wrestlers in the WWF and WWE.Arnold wears some serious lifts and he wasn't even as tall as my brother who is 6'1".
Someone else told me the same thing. He said he went over to Ca. in the 70's and there was no way Arnold was 6'2 or '3. When did you meet him Null?
As for wrestlers I saw John Cina in a mall and he had to be at least 6'5. He was literally towering over everyone. They say he is 6'1 but I am that tall and he was much taller than me. He was also huge. He looks much bigger in person. I met jay cutler and I was more impressed by Cina's size but on TV he doesn't look that big. Then someone told me they met Curt Angle and they said he was 5'8 or shorter but the list him as 6 feet I think.

B

BMW

Awards
  • Established
Someone else told me the same thing. He said he went over to Ca. in the 70's and there was no way Arnold was 6'2 or '3. When did you meet him Null?
As for wrestlers I saw John Cina in a mall and he had to be at least 6'5. He was literally towering over everyone. They say he is 6'1 but I am that tall and he was much taller than me. He was also huge. He looks much bigger in person. I met jay cutler and I was more impressed by Cina's size but on TV he doesn't look that big. Then someone told me they met Curt Angle and they said he was 5'8 or shorter but the list him as 6 feet I think.
kurt angle has one of the ugliest bodies ive ever seen his peanut head is too big for his body

A

Atlas

Awards
Kurt doesn't train as a bodybuilder would, he trains for performance.

K

kelsey

Awards
  • Established

They are done by a guy who loves to suck Arnold's schlong. As such, if you know photography you can EASILY see that the lighting for the Dorian and Ronnie pics are poor but the lighting for Arnold is perfect.

1) Sharpened

If you want proof its not even remotely to scale, look at their arms. Arnold is well documented as having 19 inch arms in contest. Ronnie and Dorian had 22 inch or larger. In that picture they make Arnold's arms look bigger, and not only that, they make his triceps look bigger which we all know is a joke.
doesnt it say in pumping iron arnolds arms are 22"

freaking huge arms

dude in predator his arms are still 20" or so and you know he has to be smaller

O

oldskoolbb

Awards
Guy's I have talked about this before..If you think the heights and weights posted in the mags are true ..well don't believe everything you read.. I have been to 4-5 pro shows over the years. none of those guys are as tall as they say..or as heavy..almost all of their heights are 3" shorter than what is printed. coleman and yates are probably 5' 8" at best..
yates back is much thicker ..and Arnolds arms are 22" watch pumping iron

N

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Arnold's trainers have been quoted as saying he was 22" at the peak of offseason at his largest. In contest his arms have never been larger than 19".

As for his height and where we met him, it was in NYC at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. He was there with his wife and kids. He wasn't there for an appearance, just there for the same reason our family was; to see the art at the museum.

On a side note, I think its kinda funny how in NYC you can see all kinds of celebrities all the time but they are tough to spot because no one hassles them. I literally bumped into Richard Dreyfus at the Met as well, and we sat next to Vincent Denofrio and his family in the Planetarium show.

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Can we also look at the protruding gut in Dorian and Ronnie pics vs. NO gut in Arnold's?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Dorians looks the best but I still prefer Arnold's complete look over the three.

Q

Quaid

Awards
If your going to take what was said in Pumping Iron for truth you are making a big mistake.

There are many scenes in that movie that are made up and just plain lies.

For instance: the scene when Arnold said he didn't go to his own fathers funeral because he had a show wasnt true. George Butler heard of some boxer who didnt go to his fathers funeral because he had a fight and asked Arnold to lie about it because it would make him seem really dedicated. Same goes for the t-shirt scenes with Katz and Waller. They were all made up, the scene on the football field was shot after the show.

mab904

mab904

Awards
From a woman's point of view I would have to go with Arnold. He is the only one of those three that would pass the bedroom test ;). I saw Ronnie in person, guest posing at a show this past Saturday, he is big no doubt. But it's just mass, no real aesthetics to his physique in my opinion. In the transitions from one pose to the next his gut would stick out big time. Never saw Arnold with a gut.

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I think Arnold is the most impressive because his stack wasn't as massive as Dorian's or Ronnie's.

Those guys are just too big.

As for height, I had a college roommate who met Arnold while skiing in Colorado. He said Arnold was at most 5'11".

I met Kurt Angle at the Trumbull Mall in CT. He was 6'. He was also really polite, funny and friendly. He seemed like a classy fellow.

G

Grifter

Board Supporter
Awards
Damn, i can't imagine myself being able to look overtop of arnolds' head. Does everyone think for sure he is less than 6'0''?

M

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thread is old I know but I just stumbled onto it and I know for a fact arnold is less than 6'. Stood right next to him coleman cutler dorian etc many many times before at the arnold. The only real tall bb's are lou ferrigno, art atwood, markus ruhl, and a select few more. Arnie is at most 5-11 and the same applies for ron and dorian. POSITIVE!

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would never want to be as big as any of them... But I wouldn't mind looking a tad smaller than like a 20 year old arnold :lol:

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Thread is old I know but I just stumbled onto it and I know for a fact arnold is less than 6'. Stood right next to him coleman cutler dorian etc many many times before at the arnold. The only real tall bb's are lou ferrigno, art atwood, markus ruhl, and a select few more. Arnie is at most 5-11 and the same applies for ron and dorian. POSITIVE!
I've had the oppurtunity to shake Dorian's hand and he isn't 5-11. I'm 6' and he was at least 2 to 3 inches shorter than I was.

M

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've had the oppurtunity to shake Dorian's hand and he isn't 5-11. I'm 6' and he was at least 2 to 3 inches shorter than I was.
Exactly like I said at most 5-11. Oh yeah gunter is pretty tall too.

N

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, one thing is for sure, Dorian seemed to be a lot taller than I am. I'm 5'6.5" though so that doesn't say much. But honestly I don't think he could possibly be any shorter than 5'10".

H

Highschool man

Awards
If your looking for wideness its Ronnie.

But I also prefer Arnolds look alot more than Ronnie's or any of the top BB's today. They are just way to big, bulging guts, and the muscles are not proportionate to each other, where as Arnold's muscles look well together.

logan

logan

Board Supporter
Awards
I like Dorian and Arnold's backs. They seem to have lats that insert a bit lower than Coleman(although his is freaking wide!)

In regards to Arnold's height, it is very possible he used to be 6'2 or so back in the 70's. That was over 30 years ago and the man is in his 50's, of course he isn't as tall anymore, you loose a few inches as you get older!!!

What we need is someone who met him in the 70's to tell us how tall he was.

M

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sorry dude my father is fifty and has remained 6'2" since his early 20's. If arnie was 80+ that theory might hold but the guy didn't lose four inches. From 25 to 50. No way.

N

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I like Dorian and Arnold's backs. They seem to have lats that insert a bit lower than Coleman(although his is freaking wide!)

In regards to Arnold's height, it is very possible he used to be 6'2 or so back in the 70's. That was over 30 years ago and the man is in his 50's, of course he isn't as tall anymore, you loose a few inches as you get older!!!

What we need is someone who met him in the 70's to tell us how tall he was.

This especially doesn't hold up for 2 very important reasons.

People only lose height when their bone density is fairly low.

1) Arnold's bone density is high because he took Dianabol for many years; a drug that at one time was prescribe explicitly to increase bone density.

2) Weight training increases bone density, and Arnold still trains regularly.

B

Beatmaster

Awards
yates, all the way, can't stand coleman........

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
Yates has the bast by far. Ronnies looks deformed :jaw:

M

mrallnatural

Awards
I think Dorian has the better back overall.....his traps blend right into his massive back and that is the look I think the judges look for. Has more detail also...but then again it depends when the pics were taken....night of a show??? Weeks before a show??? After a Show?? Ronnie, Arnold in pants but Dorian in posing trunks....

As for height....Danny Padilla trains at our gym and whom I'm also good friends with....According to Danny....Arnold was not the 6'2" or 6'3" that he, weider and mags claimed he was. Size sells products...so the bigger the better for business.

How about Lee Haneys Back...compare all 4....love to see that!

K

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Ok if Arnold was 230 contest, and Ronnie has been 287 in contest, there is no comparison. Arnold looks like a statue of a Greek God or something, Ronnie and Dorian look like a genetic creation made in a lab. They do not even look remotely human anymore. I hate the way bodybuilders look today compared to the 60's and 70's. Sure they are bigger and stuff, but Draper and Arnold looked healthy and beastly and actually resembled human perfection.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Coleman looks like he's pumped with synthol.. Come on.. Look at the bottom of his lats. heh.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Ok if Arnold was 230 contest, and Ronnie has been 287 in contest, there is no comparison. Arnold looks like a statue of a Greek God or something, Ronnie and Dorian look like a genetic creation made in a lab. They do not even look remotely human anymore. I hate the way bodybuilders look today compared to the 60's and 70's. Sure they are bigger and stuff, but Draper and Arnold looked healthy and beastly and actually resembled human perfection.
YOU'RE RIGHT! Arnold looks human. Yates and Coleman look like lab experiments.

L

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Art Jones measured Arnolds arm in the 70's and I think it came out to be slightly over 19.
And Dorian is/was a gentic freak. He doesn't compete anymore but weighs about 225-230 at 5'9 5'10 and fairly lean.

H

heftylefty58

Awards
Yates has the bast by far. Ronnies looks deformed.
I agree 100%. For this particular shot of Ronnie, his back is so voluminous that the muscles almost look like they create fat creases to me. I think it's just the angle at which his outer lats hang from his side. As far as aesthetics goes, I'd rank Dorian first, Arnold second, and Ronnie last.

A

alguard

Awards
HGH contributes to the modern day look for the pros hence the belly ban that arnold had a big hand on. As for the best back all have good backs it takes alot of time in the gym to be a champ! Credit to all three Ronnie is a Freak and Dorian when posing a front lat spread looks like you could draw a perfect circle! And as of Arnold Well what can I say he pretty much made the sport. The illusion of Arnolds back sincerely was contributed to the body type his genetics allowed Not to mention his tiny waist (Personally I think we will see future changes of bodies emulating arnold aesthetics because of the belly ban!

O.K. Arnold set the standard anyway so who cares? Does anyone disagree?