Well...just finished cutting...be kind.

J

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
My before pic is from Jan, 2005 - after that I inched up to about 18% BF. The other 3 are after my cutting that just ended (July 2005). Trimmed off about 20lbs of fat. I think I'm around 10% BF but I can't get a consistent reading from my calipers (you're input on my estimated BF would be appreciated).
I'm 31 and without a doubt in the best shape of my life.

Attachments

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
You're looking really good bro. It looks like this was a great success because it looks as though you didn't lose any muscle at all, just the fat...great job. ;)

J

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
lol...thnx...the downside of not losing much of muscle is that it took me a long time to cut (about 16 weeks). Everytime I look at a can of tuna now I wanna run away screamin :run:

S

spitboy

Throbbing Member
Awards
  • Established
I agree.. nice cut. Looks like you dropped only fat. What as your nutrition plan? I have a 16-week cut coming up myself :(

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
You look great. Estimating bf is really hard. I think it is best to just go buy the mirror.

P

Phoenix rising

Awards
It looks like to me you hit the single digit mark. Great job :)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
We don't need to be kind, honest is enough. You did great! :thumbsup:

J

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
Hey spitboy...here's the nutrition plan i used. It was a 3 day repeating carb cycle as follows:

Day 1: Low carb (carb=0.9-1.2g per lb bodyweight, protein=1.5g per lb bodyweight)
Day 2: Med carb (carb=1.4-1.6g per lb bodyweight, protein=1.25-1.35g per lb bodyweight)
Day 3: High carb (carb=2.5-2.75g per lb bodyweight, protein=0.9-1g per lb bodyweight)

I lifted only on Days 2 & 3 and did heavy cardio on Day 1 to burn as much fat as possible (cardio on 2 and 3 too). I'm not a nutritionalist, but I think this cycling keeps the body out of 'starvation mode' and keep the fat burning going.
Fat consumption was keep minimal and obviously no sugars and stuff. If ya have further questions on my routine drop me a line and I can provide more details. Best of luck on your cut!

Thanks all for the comments everyone :cheers: .

A

Ant.

Cutting Sucks!
Awards
Looks like an awesome cut to me. You definitely did a good job at keep your LBM. Im about 4 weeks in to my cut right now and I plan on going at least 12 more weeks. Whats your height and weight?

J

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
Height is 5' 9" and went from around 193lbs to 174lbs

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
S

Strongman

Awards
Awesome job bro!!! It's hard to cut and keep that much muscle size...You did great buddy!! How about strength...Did that drop a bit?

J

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
I didn't do AAS (my wife would cut my nuts off), I did 3 weeks of SD @ 10mg per day at the end of the cycle (debatable whether it was a good use of SD, but I think it help my strength in the end which was falling off due to the reduced calories and focus and cardio). For supplements I did the basics: protein powders, after w/o shake, creatine, glutamine, multi vitamin, flax and fish oils...I think that's it.As for strenth overall during the cut...I think it stayed pretty steady. I didnt' gain any that's for sure and towards into the last 5 weeks it took a lot more mental focus to push the same amount of weight, again I think due to the restricted diet.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I love your avatar...I actually have a hat that says I am not fat I am undertall.........:) my gym hat....You look great :)

A

Ant.

Cutting Sucks!
Awards
Damn, I never would have guessed you were under 190. I have been thinking about trying a carb cycling diet. I think the way you do it would work well for me.

J

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
thnx, but you know what they say about camera's...they add 20 lbs :lol:

S

Strongman

Awards
Funny...they say the same thing about marriage...LOL

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good job on your cut. you look Good. You calves dont look too bad , and i dont see your upper legs but it looks to me your legs need work.

J

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
:frustrate I'll be the first to admit my legs are my worst bodypart - especially upper legs...but I can say it's not for lack of tryin! I beat the hell out of them and it's so hard to get them to grow. I've always worked them, but have been plagued with bad knees all my life which sometimes forces me to stop squats for a long while and only do leg presses and isolation exercises (leg curl, extension). Anybody else out there with bad knees got a leg routine that'll pack on mass?

E

ericnb_98

Awards
looking real good. I would have guessed closer to 190 than 170 also.

What were the staples of your diet?

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Funny...they say the same thing about marriage...LOL
I'm looking to get married in the next 6 months or so. I fucking hope not. lol

On second though... I'll be bulking by then. What will i care!?

:cheers:

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:frustrate I'll be the first to admit my legs are my worst bodypart - especially upper legs...but I can say it's not for lack of tryin! I beat the hell out of them and it's so hard to get them to grow. I've always worked them, but have been plagued with bad knees all my life which sometimes forces me to stop squats for a long while and only do leg presses and isolation exercises (leg curl, extension). Anybody else out there with bad knees got a leg routine that'll pack on mass?
Hey man.

Post up your leg training. Perhaps we can give you some ways to loosen up the knees before getting down to heavy stuff.

That said, assuming you are going FULL ATF in squats, hacks, presses and lunges... you should be able to build some solid mass without adding a progressive shitload of weight.

J

jverch

Board Supporter
Awards
Now that you mention it, I think I've gotten myself in the mentality that I needed heavier and heavier weight to build the mass and have been less concerned with full ATF. I think you're right on that it would help...:thumbsup: ...it's usually the simple things isn't it? After 5 years of doing this you'd think I'd come up with this stuff on my own! I'm gonna try lightening up the load and focusing on that.

As for the knee pain...when it's acting up it's a sharp pain in my left knee when my legs are around a 90 degree angle doing squats. It goes in cycles...few weeks it hurts...few weeks it doesn't. Sometimes when it doesn't hurt I'm afriad to squat anyways because I don't wanna aggravate it. When it's in hurt mode I've tried warm ups with light weight, cardio, etc...though it helps, when I pack on the squat poundage it'll still act up. I've found flax oil an immense help in keeping the pain in check.

As for my food staples (the foods I have nightmares about now:icon_lol: ):
Whey shake in the morning
Caesien shake at night
40g/40g after w/o shake
Tuna, tuna, tuna
Oatmeal
No fat plain yogurt sweetened with Splenda and vanilla extract
Lean steak
Chicken
Egg Whites

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Now that you mention it, I think I've gotten myself in the mentality that I needed heavier and heavier weight to build the mass and have been less concerned with full ATF. I think you're right on that it would help...:thumbsup: ...it's usually the simple things isn't it? After 5 years of doing this you'd think I'd come up with this stuff on my own! I'm gonna try lightening up the load and focusing on that.

As for the knee pain...when it's acting up it's a sharp pain in my left knee when my legs are around a 90 degree angle doing squats. It goes in cycles...few weeks it hurts...few weeks it doesn't. Sometimes when it doesn't hurt I'm afriad to squat anyways because I don't wanna aggravate it. When it's in hurt mode I've tried warm ups with light weight, cardio, etc...though it helps, when I pack on the squat poundage it'll still act up. I've found flax oil an immense help in keeping the pain in check.

As for my food staples (the foods I have nightmares about now:icon_lol: ):
Whey shake in the morning
Caesien shake at night
40g/40g after w/o shake
Tuna, tuna, tuna
Oatmeal
No fat plain yogurt sweetened with Splenda and vanilla extract
Lean steak
Chicken
Egg Whites
I hear guys complain all the time of knee pain when they do squats, etc.

So I watch them and I see right away where the problem is. They are going 90 degrees or slightly above.

If you were to stand back and watch yourself from the side you'd see the problem. When you go 90 degrees or slightly above, all the stress is being placed squarely on your knees. You are literally using your knees to get you back up.

Now, if you drop all the way down til hams are flush against calves then to get out of the hole you have to use your gluts, hams, cavles, hipes, quards. You use your entire lower body to aid in the lift. This is why ATF (or bottoming out) on squat/press/lunge exercise makes it a full lower body workout.

If you are just looking to work the quards. do extensions only. Otherwise, if you want a full lower body workout... ATF :)

A

Ant.

Cutting Sucks!
Awards
Another thing about squats is that you have to watch how far your knees go forward. Dont let them go past your toes when you go down. It will take some getting used to as you will have to learn to sit back instead of going straight down.

H

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
old wives tale.

I am 6'3" and my knees go past my toes. I have no knee problems from squating.

It's impossible for my knees to NOT go past my toes slightly.

S

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Great job man. Seeing such good results makes me look forward to my own -20lbs fat progression.