Keep Bulking or Start Cutting??

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
Hey all,

Thought I'd post some pics and see what everyone thinks. I don't have a lot of posts, but that's because I use the search button and damn near every question I have has been asked.

I'm 36, 5'7" and 175lbs. @~14% BF.(not to sure on the body fat measurement as I'm just using the Acumeasure calipers). I've been training off and on since high school, but I've only been serious about it for the last year and a half and (thanks to this board) have a much better idea of what I'm doing.

I started out at 145lbs @~10% BF, I'm currently bulking and trying to decide if I should keep going or loose some fat before bulking some more...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Attachments

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What are your short and long term goals? You look pretty good here,you seem to have the same body type as me,looks like your holding water.I would stick to a clean diet or go to the diet nutrition and try the keto diet,I know alot of people say you cant gain size and loose fat at the same time,I am living proof you can do both,it just takes longer...JMO

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
What are your short and long term goals? You look pretty good here,you seem to have the same body type as me,looks like your holding water.I would stick to a clean diet or go to the diet nutrition and try the keto diet,I know alot of people say you cant gain size and loose fat at the same time,I am living proof you can do both,it just takes longer...JMO
Thanks Madman. I do feel pretty bloated, I've been taking in as many calories as I can and your right, they haven't all been cleen. I just don't have a huge appetite and the only way I can get the 3500+ calories I need to gain weight is too relax the diet up a bit. My goal is to get to the high single digits for body fat (7%-8%) by next summer at the heaviest weight that I can. Your suggestion is very appealing to me because of the way I'm feeling (bloated, sloppy, stuffed etc.) and that's the reason I feel I need to make a decision at this point. I don't know how much more bloat and fat I can tolerate and it's too soon to cut for next summer.

Gain size and loose fat at the same time eh? I think you're on to something... :)

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I was 303 with a 44 " waist 11 months ago (do a search in pic section under MaDmaN)
I think you will find becuase your body type is like mine,eat good quality low glycemic carbs,Oatmeal,Brown rice,and lots of leafy green veggies..Avoid alot of fruit,simple sugars,soda,and processed white flour.The most important part of this diet to accomplish this is shhot for 2 grams of protien for every pound of lean mass,I know this sounds like alot but it will help to burn fat and keep you in an anobolic state..Training try periodization for 4 weeks do high volume 12 rep sets of 10 per body part then switch to moderate 5-9 repd 8 sets then 4 weeks of heavy weight 1-3 reps 4 sets then take 1 week off after 12 weeks...Try this I gaurentee you results..I bet you you are a creatine non responder too just like me..

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
Thanks for the great suggestions Madman! I'm going to give it a shot. I'm about 3 weeks into a training cycle that is very similar to the one you just described (a Charles Poliquin routine I think). I'm in the high volume phase right now so I'll change it up a bit to match your suggestions. And you're right, creatine does nothing for me, although I'm trying V-12 right now and noticing a little bit of a pump(could be just in my head) but not anywhere near enough to justify the cost.

Cleaning up the diet might not be too bad, my wife is trying to lean out so at least I'll have company!

BTW, good luck with the battle. You've convinced me to kick the habbit. Although I'm a light smoker (8-10/day) you've convinced me that's 8-10 too many.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Amazing,im taking V-12 and the **** is awsome,my therory is correct about body types
wait til week 3 and you willreally notice it..Good luck keep us posted.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
If your at 14% I would not continue to bulk. I would cut down to 9-10% and then concentrate on adding quality lean mass. I'm not sure how dialed in your diet is but it doesn't sound as though it's as strict as it could be.

I know you said it's too early for a cutter but think about it, the more bf you put on the harder it will be to get it off. You also risk losing more muscle because people tend to panick and try and drop 20lbs in 6 weeks. If you want to be 7- 8% by next summer I would cut down to 10% then concentrate on eating nothing but clean calories and add as much lean mass as you can.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
If your at 14% I would not continue to bulk. I would cut down to 9-10% and then concentrate on adding quality lean mass. I'm not sure how dialed in your diet is but it doesn't sound as though it's as strict as it could be.

I know you said it's too early for a cutter but think about it, the more bf you put on the harder it will be to get it off. You also risk losing more muscle because people tend to panick and try and drop 20lbs in 6 weeks. If you want to be 7- 8% by next summer I would cut down to 10% then concentrate on eating nothing but clean calories and add as much lean mass as you can.
Thanks for the advice. You and Madman are right. I'm going to re-group here and start leaning out while maintaining or maybe even adding some lean mass. It's so helpfull to get advice from an un-biased source. It's very tough to judge your own physique when you see it in the mirror every day.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think the days of Bulking up 30 lbs and then loosing 20 are over..That used to be the way the ole timers trained including Myself..It makes much more sense to strive for a 5-10lb lean gain per year... :run:

Last edited:

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
3 Months of Progress...

Thought I'd post some updated pics. I've been working my ass off for the last 3 months and I've dropped some fat and hopefully gained some muscle. I'm about 175 in the before pics with a 35" waist and 170 in the after pics with a 33.25" waist. I cut all the way down to 163 with a 32.5" waist and then started to try and add some lean mass while keeping the fat gains to a minimum.

I think I'm looking leaner than before but it's hard to judge your own physique. These pics were taken in the morning totally cold, I have to admit that there is a noticable difference between the way I look in the pics vs. after a workout with a pump. The reason I take the pics cold is that's the way I'm going to look 95% of the time.

Oh well, small steps over time will add up over time :cheers:

Attachments

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
You def look leaner in those new pics, congrats. 3 months of busting ass is no easy task, the average joe wouldnt think so but we here know what it's like to kick the **** out of yourself day in and day out at the gym only to go home and eat dry tuna. Keep it up bro I look forward to seeing some more pics in another 3 months time. :thumbsup:

Thought I'd post some updated pics. I've been working my ass off for the last 3 months and I've dropped some fat and hopefully gained some muscle. I'm about 175 in the before pics with a 35" waist and 170 in the after pics with a 33.25" waist. I cut all the way down to 163 with a 32.5" waist and then started to try and add some lean mass while keeping the fat gains to a minimum.

I think I'm looking leaner than before but it's hard to judge your own physique. These pics were taken in the morning totally cold, I have to admit that there is a noticable difference between the way I look in the pics vs. after a workout with a pump. The reason I take the pics cold is that's the way I'm going to look 95% of the time.

Oh well, small steps over time will add up over time :cheers:

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
You def look leaner in those new pics, congrats. 3 months of busting ass is no easy task, the average joe wouldnt think so but we here know what it's like to kick the **** out of yourself day in and day out at the gym only to go home and eat dry tuna. Keep it up bro I look forward to seeing some more pics in another 3 months time. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words! I'll def post some more pics in 3 months time, I find it's great motivation. Having a deadline really helps, I'm sure that's why you see guys getting into awsome shape for a contest.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Looks good :) It looks like you've kept all lean mass and dropped some fat, way to go! I used to keep way high bodyfat (ask any of the mods, lol) but the past 6 months or so I've been trying to focus more on keeping it lean, as this is really is what most (including myself) want, the lean and muscular look. I'd say lean out a little bit more, then try adding some mass while keeping bodyfat levels in check. Give yourself a set point that you don't want to exceed (be it bf%, waist size or other measurements, whatever), and when you bulk and start to exceed, rethink and adjust accordingly.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
Looks good :) It looks like you've kept all lean mass and dropped some fat, way to go! I used to keep way high bodyfat (ask any of the mods, lol) but the past 6 months or so I've been trying to focus more on keeping it lean, as this is really is what most (including myself) want, the lean and muscular look. I'd say lean out a little bit more, then try adding some mass while keeping bodyfat levels in check. Give yourself a set point that you don't want to exceed (be it bf%, waist size or other measurements, whatever), and when you bulk and start to exceed, rethink and adjust accordingly.
Thanks for taking the time to respond jweave! Sounds like great advice, I think I'll do just as you suggested. It's great motivation to hear feedback from you guys. Much appreciated.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
I feel small!

Here are some pics taken today, I've cut all the way down to 151 lbs. and feelin' kinda small. I'm not 'ripped' by any means but I've lost a total of 4 1/2" from my waist, and I don't think that I can handle being under a buck and a half, so this is the end of the cut. Rather than try bulking on my own again and risk a pile of fat gain, I'm going to sign up for Bobo's Muscle Building plan just as soon as he'll have me. I also wanted to thank everybody for all their advice and support. Once I start training with Bobo, I'll be keeping a detailed log of my progress.

Attachments

BIGPHILL1984

Awards
  • Established
Looking pretty good man. How was your diet? I am currently cutting and I am a little leaner than your first post but a little more bloated from creatine. Congrats on the progress.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
Thanks guys!

It was such a long slow cut that I experimented with a few things. Low carb did not agree with me at all. I had the best results with a 40/40/20 split at about 2000 - 2200 cal/day (200g P, 200g C, 60g F). Towards the end I tried doing 3 days lower carb (100g) and 3 days higher carb (250g) but didn't see any difference that just going with 200g of carbs per day and I felt much better with steady carbs.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
how tall are you? for a buck fifty you have some meat on you.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
how tall are you? for a buck fifty you have some meat on you.
I'm a sawed off little runt :frustrate

Actuall it's not that bad, I'm just a touch over 5'7", I also have a very small frame which could explain the light weight. My wrists measure 6 3/8" which is pretty small, same with the hands, feet ect.

I remember way back in high school that 5'8" - 5' 10" was normal, 6'0" was a tall guy. Now my 14 year old brings his buddies over and some of these guys are well over 6 feet tall and take size 13 runners. Looks pretty funny at the front door next to my size 8's. I wonder what the hell they're putting in the Pizza Pops these days :)

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Hey Man, bulk away with Bobo, but for your own piece of mind I think you're looking solid. I would never guess you're only 150. Good job.