New here...First thread...Critique me!

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, like it says I'm new here. Really liking this forum A LOT! Everyone is helpful. I'm planning on competing in my first ever competition this year (bodybuilding) So here is a little more about me

Was a wrestler all my life (started at 6) so always watched my weight and what I had to eat. In doing this, I was always very defined, but had little mass as I was naturally skinny with a very fast metabolism. (Still had to watch what I ate, you wrestlers know what I mean).
Was 5'3 103 as freshmen in High Scool, 119 as Soph (Hit growth spurt finally) 140 as Junior, and 152 as Senior.

Have been lifting seriously over last 1 1/2 to 2 years, as I got more and more into bodybuilding, but have always been too shy to attempt it, and even post on a forum. Well, here are some pics of me currently at 6' 198 bodyfat unsure of...I would say 10%?? I'm not sure though so you guys tell me. Appreciate all criticism and critique I can get.

Here are my current lifting stats (BTW Chest and legs always weak point for me, but I'm going to bust my ass on them.)

Bench: 240x5 (not sure of max, as I injured shoulder and have no insurance, have to be careful)

Squat: 285 x5 (Like I said weak)

Deadlift: 335x6 (Not very good either)

DB Shoulder press: 75x8 (have to be careful)

Okay enough...here are the pics

vlcsnap-2012-01-06-00h21m19s202.jpg
vlcsnap-2012-01-06-00h27m08s19.jpg
vlcsnap-2012-01-06-00h27m00s194.jpg
vlcsnap-2012-01-06-00h26m53s129.jpg
vlcsnap-2012-01-06-00h25m17s175.jpg
vlcsnap-2012-01-06-00h23m25s226.jpg
vlcsnap-2012-01-06-00h22m56s242.jpg

Edit: Don:t know exactly why I flexed like that for Most Muscular...didn't flex traps

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
Leg pics coming now. (they are sore as a motherf####r at the moment)

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
IMAG2277.jpg
IMAG2275.jpg

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
No responses ?????? ;(

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking good man! Keep up the good work!

Looking pretty damn muscular for 6 foot 198, wish I looked that lean at 198 lol. Killer back shot! Just curious what are your arm measurements? gotta be a bit over 16's I'd think.

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
Really? I thought maybe I looked small for 198 man. My back and arms have always been a strength. My left arm is 17 and right is 16.5 Cannot for the life of me get my right arm to catch up......and I'm right handed too!

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really? I thought maybe I looked small for 198 man. My back and arms have always been a strength. My left arm is 17 and right is 16.5 Cannot for the life of me get my right arm to catch up......and I'm right handed too!
Yeah damn 17 is pretty good at 198/6'

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I would make them 16's If I could get my legs to gain faster!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd say you look a bit leaner than 10%, but my judgment isn't as good as others who compete/have competed, I'm sure.

Can't get a full spectrum on your legs; don't know what the hammys look like. Once you shave, that'll make a world of difference, too. As for upper body, I think I'd probably focus the most on getting the biceps to peak/pop a bit more. From the side view, you sure don't have small arms, but the front double flexed, they just look longer and don't seem to have much of a peak.

This could just be your posing, too. That seems to be something that requires quite a bit of work/attention in training.

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
I'd say you look a bit leaner than 10%, but my judgment isn't as good as others who compete/have competed, I'm sure.

Can't get a full spectrum on your legs; don't know what the hammys look like. Once you shave, that'll make a world of difference, too. As for upper body, I think I'd probably focus the most on getting the biceps to peak/pop a bit more. From the side view, you sure don't have small arms, but the front double flexed, they just look longer and don't seem to have much of a peak.

This could just be your posing, too. That seems to be something that requires quite a bit of work/attention in training.
Thanks man yeah I noticed my peak (or lackthereof) was pretty bad. I definitely have been working on that. I know peak is a genetic thing, so we will see where I can get it to. I will get a hammy shot later tonight. My hams are strong (or so I believe) compared to my quads. I believe thats where most of my (small) leg size comes from. I also just started working on posing, and man....its A LOT harder than people think it is. Draining to say the least

aceroni

Awards
hey man i've competed 3 times 3 yrs ago and 2 times this last fall.
First off i gotta say- your back lat spread looks sick!!
as for your front double bis, the reason your bis arnt peaked is because youre not posing right.. Make a fist, and put your thumb in the middle of it. squeeze it as hard as you can. Now twist your wrists so tthat your pinkeys are rotating towards behind you. Viola! you have a peak!!
But as for those double bi shots( front and back) you need to pull your lats out, because from your back lat spread, you can tell they are clearly wider than what you are showing them. When you hit either a fdb or bdb focus on pulling those lats out really focus. also dont ever forget to peak your arms!!

idk when your show looks, but your upperbody looks good, continue doing what your doing.
you REALLY need to bring your legs up (no offense at all bro, theyre MOST people's weakness)
start hitting them twice a week, every 3rd - 4th day. you need extra volume to get them to grow. front squats, back squats, hax squats, leg presses, walking lunges, ham curls, sldls, regular deadlifts. reverse hypers, GHRs..
my point is, if you're gonna step on stage prioritze those legs cause your upperbody already looks good, and it will follow your legs (and improve with them as well)!!

so.. HAMMER THEM LEGS!!
and dont forget calves!!

good luck man i'll be following

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
as for your front double bis, the reason your bis arnt peaked is because youre not posing right.. Make a fist, and put your thumb in the middle of it. squeeze it as hard as you can. Now twist your wrists so tthat your pinkeys are rotating towards behind you. Viola! you have a peak!!
But as for those double bi shots( front and back) you need to pull your lats out, because from your back lat spread, you can tell they are clearly wider than what you are showing them. When you hit either a fdb or bdb focus on pulling those lats out really focus. also dont ever forget to peak your arms!!

idk when your show looks, but your upperbody looks good, continue doing what your doing.
you REALLY need to bring your legs up (no offense at all bro, theyre MOST people's weakness)
start hitting them twice a week, every 3rd - 4th day. you need extra volume to get them to grow. front squats, back squats, hax squats, leg presses, walking lunges, ham curls, sldls, regular deadlifts. reverse hypers, GHRs..
my point is, if you're gonna step on stage prioritze those legs cause your upperbody already looks good, and it will follow your legs (and improve with them as well)!!

so.. HAMMER THEM LEGS!!
and dont forget calves!!

Great post.

This is what I was hoping tuton would get from someone. I've never competed, so my advice wouldn't be able to do much. And from photos alone, it can often be hard to get an accurate assessment of things.

Like I said, once you shave and factor in the tanner, things will look a heck of a lot different, too.

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
Your latt spread is huge bro. You have done a great job with only 2 years of lifting

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Hey man. Welcome to the forum - AM is a great place youre gonna be happy with whats offered.

First of all: hats off to you for deciding to compete in bodybuilding! Oh, and welcome to the looney bin. I've been competing for about 2 years now. Never took home the gold but had my appearance on ESPN in CT (little claim to fame :p).

Very first observation: you are not symmetrical. But nothing some hard work cant fix. You got a THICK back and some big tris that overpower your delts and make them look smaller than they are. You gotta bring them up to match you back, maybe a little more on the peak of traps too.

You bis are a decent size to compliment. Unfortunately your pecs are more round in shape (sucks, me too) so you'll require I bit more upper chest work to keep them full bodied and even. That tear drop could be killer if you did some quad workouts with focus on the vastus medialis. I would also suggest building up some with on the rectus femoris to give you that "X" look to compliment the back. Tony Freeman style!

I wanna give you posing lessons sssssoooooo baaaaad. lol. In a good way.

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
Hey man. Welcome to the forum - AM is a great place youre gonna be happy with whats offered.

First of all: hats off to you for deciding to compete in bodybuilding! Oh, and welcome to the looney bin. I've been competing for about 2 years now. Never took home the gold but had my appearance on ESPN in CT (little claim to fame :p).

Very first observation: you are not symmetrical. But nothing some hard work cant fix. You got a THICK back and some big tris that overpower your delts and make them look smaller than they are. You gotta bring them up to match you back, maybe a little more on the peak of traps too.

You bis are a decent size to compliment. Unfortunately your pecs are more round in shape (sucks, me too) so you'll require I bit more upper chest work to keep them full bodied and even. That tear drop could be killer if you did some quad workouts with focus on the vastus medialis. I would also suggest building up some with on the rectus femoris to give you that "X" look to compliment the back. Tony Freeman style!

I wanna give you posing lessons sssssoooooo baaaaad. lol. In a good way.

so.. HAMMER THEM LEGS!!
and dont forget calves!!

First, thank you to both of you for this. Really appreciate it! No offense taken whatsoever! I put these here to be criticized. That is what I wanted! I will be posting more with me actually trying to hit poses correctly. I know I didnt do a good job on these. In my own defense, I took these fairly quickly and didnt really on hitting the poses right like I should have. As for my legs, yeah man, I dont know why, just always a weakness. Have been putting in a lot of work lately, especially high volume. My leg workout as of now is as follows

Squats: ...........Hack Squats: .........Leg press: .......................Smith Machine Lunge/Front Squats Superset
125x20 .............270x10 ................3 Plates Ea side x20 ...........135x10x10
185x10 .............360x5 ..................4 PES x12.........................185x10x10
225x10..............360x5 ..................5 PES x 8 .......................185x10x10 (dead by this time, I aint Kai Greene)
285x5 ...............360x5 .................6 PES x 6
285x5

Romanian DL Walking Lunges
135x15 45lb dumbbells x20
225x10 55lb dumbbells x20
225x8 55 lb dumbbells x 16
275x6 55 lb dumbbells x 12

Thats about all for legs. But after reading your guys posts, I'll be upping the volume like crazy next week. As for my tri's, yeah another strength of mine (back was always strong, i could do like 15-20 pullups when I was 8 no joke) I have been hitting rear delts heavy with some stuff John Meadows does. Ill post the video right now. My shoulders are actually lagging because I messed something up (rotator cuff maybe?) about a year ago, and I have no insurance so I couldnt get it checked. Couldnt do overhead presses for over 8 months...HUGE setback. I recently started hitting them again now that it feels better. Ill keep posting if you guys dont mind critiquing.

Last edited:

aceroni

Awards
I think maybe you should not necessarily add more sets / reps to your current leg day, i think you should have a second leg day a week, maybe one day do hi rep the next do low rep. and dont do the same exercises each time.. heres what i've been doing and my legs have been coming along very well:
leg day 1 (monday) warmup with lying leg curls and do 3-4 working sets.. seems to make my squats more sturdy. then squats do a warmupset w/ bar, 135, 225 really focus on form. then do 3-4 working sets of either 275 or 315 or a mix of the two depending on how fresh i am.. next movement haxsquat warmup :1pes , 2pes, then 4 sets 3pes supersetted with INTENSE stretching
leg extension 3sets 20 reps. 30seconds max. PUMP THE BLOOD
then i usually finish with 4x10 working sets on the reverse hyper

leg day 2 ( friday) lying leg curl again 3x15.. legpress.. do plenty of warmup sets, working up to 7 or 8PES and doing about 4 sets of 15-20 reps (1minute rest) with my feet close (1inch apart) then do four more setsx15-20rep with 1plate less per side with your feet pointed out and wide on outsides of legpress..
then i'll do 1-2 sets of REFFS aka bulgarian split squats body weight x 40reps..
then 1-2sets of abductors supersetted w/ adductors (20reppers)
and then 4x fail glute ham raise and 4x15 SLDL

dont forget the calves!! i try to do 4 sets standing 4 sets seated and 3-4 sets of REVERSE CALVES on the lying hamstring...
as far as posing goes check this out.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/pose.htm

annnnnnnnnd idk when you plan on competing but start practicing posing as soon as you start dieting (should be around 12-18 weeks out).. get someone to help you with your diet it will be alot better.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the above in its entirety. If financially feasable for you hire a coach 12-16 weeks out. You really do need that "third eye" especially when you start dieting. you'll be very happy they're there when your depleted too.

Another good way to bring up thickness on the outside of the quads is leg extensions with your toes pointed together. For calves, also try doing sets with toes pointing inward to work the outside a bit more. Build a better diamond shape. I train my legs in a strange way:
I never do hamstring and quads the same day. Every other week I hit quads with 4 exercises with 2 sets of 50 reps and try to finish in 30min. Hamstring are usually 5 set supersets with high reps - I cant quite get them to come out.

Pose pose pose POSE! Confidence on stage is so key. Show you look like a professional. Its all about creating an illusion.

If you post - I'll follow.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with the above in its entirety. If financially feasable for you hire a coach 12-16 weeks out. You really do need that "third eye" especially when you start dieting. you'll be very happy they're there when your depleted too.

Another good way to bring up thickness on the outside of the quads is leg extensions with your toes pointed together. For calves, also try doing sets with toes pointing inward to work the outside a bit more. Build a better diamond shape. I train my legs in a strange way:
I never do hamstring and quads the same day. Every other week I hit quads with 4 exercises with 2 sets of 50 reps and try to finish in 30min. Hamstring are usually 5 set supersets with high reps - I cant quite get them to come out.

Pose pose pose POSE! Confidence on stage is so key. Show you look like a professional. Its all about creating an illusion.

If you post - I'll follow.

If getting a coach is not feasible you can look into AX's new project. Online training app with real personal trainers for you. They are accepting sign ups for beta testers right now. Looks to be promising and more than your avg run of the mill tracking app. Here's a quote from T AD about it and a link leading to the sign up page. Testers are limited so jump on it if interested.

Unlike other training apps, this one isn't just algorithms and standard stuff. This one is personal trainers training you. Track your progress, tips on what to do next, help in ALL areas. It's not just a side-project that AX is doing just to do, it's something that is geared to be the best personal training application among ALL other applications. Definitely get in on it!
http://training.athleticxtreme.com/?lrRef=6LmqS

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Woooahhh thanks for that. Sure beats going back and forth to NJ twice a month.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh Snap..Yedah buddy..RAIDER NATION!!!! Thats whats up

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
Wow thanks foe all the help guys. Appreciate you taking time to give someone you have never met advice and tips. I really do appreciate it. As for the trainer, yeah a coach definitely would not be feasible for me as of now, but that APP that CopyCat just posted looks promising! Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll definitely keep posting in this thread to give updates and you guys can tell me if you see any progress, (if you dont mind). Im going to post those videos I was telling you guys about for shoulders, got carried away and forgot. And JoHNnyNuTZ HELL YEAH! Huge fan here man. Pretty disappointed with end of season, but I have high hopes for next year!

tuton11

tuton11

Awards
  • Established
Here is one thing I have been doing for my rear delts, and it has helped more than anything to date. These are KILLER!

[video=youtube_share;HxFs72mYYsM]http://youtu.be/HxFs72mYYsM[/video]

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Wow thanks foe all the help guys. Appreciate you taking time to give someone you have never met advice and tips. I really do appreciate it.
Welcome to AM