32 year old male-any way I can get "ripped" by end of summer?

pittguy578

Awards
I am a 32 year old male..5'9, 163 pounds. I know it may not look like it, but I am fairly strong. I do work out 2-3 times a week-I have been slacking on the cardio due to my work hedule (10 hour days) and sometimes Saturdays plus there is an illness in my family. I use the Total Gym with a weight vest and Perfect Push-Up.
I am thinking about adding the Tower 200. The reason I do not use free weights is I usually end up getting "soreness" in my elbow area which causes me to have to stop with the weights. I thought maybe I did something "Wrong" but it has happened every time I have tried to stick with free weights.

My diet has never been an issue. I simply do not eat junk or a ton of sugar-I will admit I have been relying on protein bars as of late because I am so busy with other things, but still-my calories never go out of control, and I would say am on an "ultra " low fat diet and have been-probably less than 20 fat grams per day. I am one of the few people that has not gained or lost any weight since my last year of college...and I probably have more "muscle" than I ever had in the past.

I am feeling better about things and want to get back to my old form ASAP. I am going to work out more..I have started using Eviscerate..taking VPX and CLA as well as some ALCAR. I am just trying to lose as much "softness" as possible as quickly as possible. What would be the best course of action?
Any chance I could be "relatively" ripped by end of summer?

Attachments

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
your not gonna be able to get ripped but you can get fuller

pittguy578

Awards
I am not sure if I can get "fuller" i.e. bigger. I have tried to get big in the past, but I am a very "hard" gainer-do not have the genes. Believe me I have tried every supplement and workout routine and have taken in more than enough protein. I just do not have the ability to get large muscles. I am fairly strong-I do not use weights on a regular basis, but I can do 225*7 times in the bench press and can military press 170.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, there's nothing there to "rip." You can lose some fat, but you don't have any underlying muscle to enhance your physique.

Here's what to do:

1. Pull up your underwear. No need to be putting your pubes on display.

2. Eat 1g of Protein per pound of bodyweight. Not hard since you don't weigh much.

3. Cut out processed foods and go for veggies, fruit, rice, beans, nuts, healthy oils.

You can certainly "recomp" some by the end of summer with enough hard work and determination.

pittguy578

Awards
It really sucks-every other male in my family was large and gained muscle with no problems..My dad was 6'2 240 in high school..starting defensive on high school football team that won back to back State Championships (PA) His brother was the same size..my uncle and my grandfather and my mom's size were over 6'2..and athletic.. (uncle was a small college QB) Somehow I got ripped off when it comes to muscle building genetics..but I did get brains..not sure where that came from .:)

pittguy578

Awards
Putting it this way-what is the quickest way I can improve my physical appearance in the shortest amount of time?

I have gained muscle/definition from where I was before-people that have not seen me in a year or two comment on the change. I think this is a bad pic and this is after a rough last two months in terms of working out. I have not gained or lost any weight since I was a senior in college..and I was never fat..I was a guy with an eating disorder in high school. On the leg press, I can do 325 for 40 reps. I am not weak by any means. I just do not gain muscle mass for some reason. Believe me I have tried and have done everything under the sun including everything you have said.

NapoleanComp

Awards
If you're not willing to use free weights or jump onto a full blast bodybuilding routine, the only thing that comes to mind would be P90x. I personally prefer to actually leave my home to work out, but I've had a few different friends tell me they loved that DVD and got a lot out of it. Plus, it sounds like you might already own most of the required equipment.

On a side note: If you're not willing to eat some healthy fats, you're not going to have an easy time gaining weight. And just for next time: I never want to see the top of your pubes again.

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
I have a suggestion about the free weight thing.
well it all depends on my question
are you trying to do your same weight that you press on your machines ?
on a personal note i can chest press over 300 lbs on a machine
where as i struggle to max in between 260 and 270 ( on a good day ) on a regular bench
I would hit the gym and even if you got to put 100 lbs on a bench and use 15 lb dumbells you have to start somewhere to get your joints used to free weights and your muscles.
well you know plus everything else that was said above me
and if you want to be cut up and stuff you dont HAVE to ingest that much protein
try a strict carb program
kinda like a give and take
take alot from your body
and give back in increments
plus
crunches = abs
no matter what anyone sais if they say that crunches dont help their abs then something is wrong or either they are too big thus far and need weight training for stimulation like oblique cable crunches and stuff like that

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
again this is all my opinion, i am not pro or claim to be, but i do beast out with my weights

pittguy578

Awards
In terms of my "goals" in terms of muscle, I have wanted the lean/ripped look more than a huge "body builder" type ripped body. The second one is too much work to obtain and maintain. I am just trying to look "healthy" and neat. That is why when it came to strength training I have used the Total Gym (with a 40 LB weight vest) and the Perfect Push-Up. Plus as I said before, I have trouble with my tendons when I lift heavy weight-it has happened to me every single time since high school. I have tried to "get bigger" with free weights so many times-I have given up. It is the same injury every time-the tendon on the opposite side of my elbow (between bicep and tricep) It gets hurt or injured, and then I can't life for a few weeks without serious pain. And when I "injure" it I am not doing anything dumb like going heavy.

I actually purchased the P90 AB video from Ebay and did it today for the first time-heck of a workout.

I have been trying to fit cardio in more lately-really for the last two months I have been so busy at work I have not had time to do it. I used to go to the gym on my lunch hour every day, but now there is not even time to take a lunch. My phyique has suffered..plus I was on a medication to help me sleep..which causes people to gain weight..I didn't know it at the time. I stopped taking it last week.

I also posted on the supplement thread about my stack. I started CLA, VPX, Green Tea Extract,ALCAR, and Eviscerate last week. I am trying to lower my body fat, especially in my midsection-actually that is my only area with any kind of fat. The rest of my body-butt and legs-are strong and fat free. I am going to go to Sam's Club and buy more protein powder and make it a point to have two shakes a day. I have so stressed out lately (found out my grandmother has cancer on top of working long hours) that I have not eaten as much. For example, typical lunch for me used to be a Subway footlong..now I am having trouble eating a turkey wrap.

Thank you for your tips. Is there any supplement which would help with the "gaining" aspect of improving my look?

pittguy578

Awards
Ok guys-I am going to take your advice. I am going to order some Testo Pro tomorrow...and going to buy nothing but whole milk/butter. Whole milk protein shakes and butter toast is the only thing I know that will enable me to add more calories to my diet other than eating crisco. I will continue with my weight loss stack or at least part of it.
Maybe I didn't gain before because I didn't have enough fat in my diet?

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
yeah that could be it because if you were getting injuries while not going heavy and just doing a normal average workout then your diet must of not been very much of a diet ( dont mean that in an offensive way ) its taking me alot of hard work to get healthy again myself up till this past christmas i was drinking everynight and probably ate one meal a day if that, but i bought me some supps quit drinking all together and started eating alot more and since this christmas ive added 60 or so pounds to my bench 100 or so too my sqaut ( legs were really weak before that ) and my curls and back workouts have jumped.
just stick with what ever these guys got as far as advice goes for you... theyll hook you up fa sho.
and about them perfect pushups man, see people may disagree with me on this but in my opinion i get the best definition for my chest from push ups, different variations angles and what not but every time i try to do the perfect push up it just feels like a waste i feel like i was suckered in to by another dumb product ( cough cough ab lounge )
im telling you nothing gets my chest more pumped than doing flat hand push ups with a little incline

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
you shouldn't be very much anxious about your figure. Just be thankful you have healthy and strong body that can help you do your daily routine.

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
but he said he wants to improve his figure i believe and correct me if im wrong but wasnt that the point of this thread

bomb402

Awards
Eat lots of saturated fat and you'll get there. Protein bars/whey protein won't do ****. Obviously you need carbs and protein too. Eat all your red meat as rare as possible. You need more calories the point where you would be extremely fat if you weren't working out. Your testosterone is fine - eat and lots of compounded exercises 2-3x per week. Do not do cardio unless you want to look like gumby.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
First: Go to the "Real" gym and use the machines there and gain about 15lbs of muscle and even if you did not lose an ounce of body fat, you will look leaner and muscular. Eat more and get bigger.

Second: Like Resolve said......pull up your underwear or at least shave. Ha ha

pittguy578

Awards
I have a bad sinus infection-off work for the next two days. At the doctor's office I got my weigh in-I am down to 158. I didn't realize that I had lost that much weight-first time I can recall going below the 160 mark.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Well, you can try the P90X program and see if you can follow it. No skipping sessions, or cheating though. Follow the instructions and you might like it, but it is hard.

Quick comment on the diet. Sounds like you're taking care of your protein, but what about the fat and carbs? how much of these are you getting? eating 200g of protein is fine and dandy, but how many grams of carbs and fat are you eating on daily basis? and daily, I mean EVERY day not every once in a while. If you eat lots of protein but not enough calories, you won't build muscles. Your body will burn the protein for energy.

You also sound like you're trying to get "ripped" for this summer. If that is your goal, then matter as well give up now. It will take a good 3 to 9 months to make your newbie gains, if you're training hard and eating great, before you hit your first wall. Adding 5 to 10lbs of muscle will improve your shape some, but it won't be something to write home about. you need much more weight.

The sore in the elbows thing, I am not getting. Yes the first week or two when you do heavy arm workout your arms will get sore. Even to the point where it will hurt to extend them, but the soreness goes away or at least become noticable at best. If it is something else, you need to see a doctor. If you're avoiding getting sore, then you're not training at all.

One last comment on your workout. You said you workout 2-3 times a week. Which is it? 2 or 3? this just says you're messing around and not really training hard. You seem to know that, but you just don't like the pain of workouting out. To gain muscles you need to work very hard and be dedicated to eating more. Even then, you will be slightly in better shape in 6 months. You will look fantastic if you can keep it up for 2 to 5 years.

But look at it this way, in 2 to 5 years you will be 2 to 5 years older. It is up to you to be 2 to 5 years older in a fantastic shape, or 2 to 5 years older with a belly (believe me, it will come :D)

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift, Squat ,Bench Press and OL Press or Military. Eat more(learn to eat correctly). Eat whole foods. F the crisco/butter and toast... Yams/brown rice. If your dirty bulking, add white potatoes and rice. With a body like that you sir have not tried everything. Check out mark rippetoes starting strength for a good newb program. Build it then cut it(get ripped)meh man.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Dude, there's nothing there to "rip."

Here's what to do:

1. Pull up your underwear. No need to be putting your pubes on display.
:rofl:

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Eat lots of saturated fat and you'll get there. Protein bars/whey protein won't do ****. Obviously you need carbs and protein too. Eat all your red meat as rare as possible. You need more calories the point where you would be extremely fat if you weren't working out. Your testosterone is fine - eat and lots of compounded exercises 2-3x per week. Do not do cardio unless you want to look like gumby.
Agree. Gotta eat dirty and lift heavy

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
I am not sure if I can get "fuller" i.e. bigger. I have tried to get big in the past, but I am a very "hard" gainer-do not have the genes. Believe me I have tried every supplement and workout routine and have taken in more than enough protein. I just do not have the ability to get large muscles. I am fairly strong-I do not use weights on a regular basis, but I can do 225*7 times in the bench press and can military press 170.
Yes you can get fuller and big bigger, sounds to me that your not putting any effort into it, you've tried every supplement and workout, I'm thinking your diet as well as caloric intake has been lacking....

screw the genes and all that crap, the best supplement you can have is in your drawer....it's called a fork

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
but to me you dont look like someone who cant gain due to a fast metabolism, those people usually have more definition, it looks like youve been more worried about the food your eating to cut up and not putting the work in to cut up, my body shared that look about a year ago, except i was drinking everyday goin to parties and taking about 6 blunts to the face everyday getting about 3 - 5 hours of sleep a night, are you a closet partier haha ?

pittguy578

Awards
I have never watched calories directly. I just do not eat any junk food. I don't even crave it. My "binges" are two Met RX protein bars. I eat as much as I want-just not junk.
I tried lifting in college when we had an all you can eat cafeteria and I was drinking.
I didn't gain any muscle mass, but I also never gained weight-even when drinking 4-5 nights a week-I lived in a frat house. I have been the same weight since I have been 21. I do not think I have an overly fast metabolism, but I have treated my body right-I take lots of vitamins and antioxidants. I have always been a "health" nut-I have heart disease and cancer in my family so I would rather be proactive in terms of my health. I don't want to rely on doctors to try to cure my body from years of abuse.

I bought Weight Gainer powder at GNC-that will immediately add another 1800 calories per day. I will lift harder. The thing is I do gain strength and am fairly strong despite lack of muscle mass. I went to the gym with my friend the other day-he is bigger than I am-6'2 and 200 pounds and goes to the gym a lot. I was able to do more pull downs with a heavier weight (180 for 15 times then I kept knocking the weight down) than he could and could leg press 330 for 30 times. I military press 170 so despite the fact I have not gained mass, I have gained a lot of strength.

As I said, I am not trying to gain that much mass-maybe some more in my chest and shoulders. I am just trying to look a little better-not trying to get ultra ripped, etc. I have no reason to get like that-I would not be able to maintain it. Too many other things to worry about.

Here is an updated picture after two weeks of "cutting" I have dropped about 5 pounds, mostly in my stomach and back-using Eviscerate and a bunch of other things.

Attachments

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You look like your gaining a little pudge on the obliques.and the chest. Keep hitting those weights!!! You should" fill in" good.

pittguy578

Awards
No pudge gained-my waist size went down slightly and there is noticeable fat loss on my back and my sides-I have done the pinch test. I have lost 5 pounds with my stack...
CLA, VPX, Eviscerate, Green Tea Extract, and I have thrown in nicotine gum for good measure.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
IMHO, you are gonna be disappointed when you lose however much weight you plan on...

You need to lift heavy and gain a good 10 or 15 pounds of muscle then try to "cut" it off

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I am almost thinking this is a fake thread started by another member after looking at the pics lol....If not you need to do a lot more research on how to train and diet, beside this thread...the lack of knowledge is really hurting you in every facet.

pittguy578

Awards
I have a lot of knowledge on nutrition/vitamins/keeping healthy. I will admit I am not up to putting tons of crap into my body just to try to gain a little muscle.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
I have never watched calories directly. I just do not eat any junk food. I don't even crave it. My "binges" are two Met RX protein bars. I eat as much as I want-just not junk.
I tried lifting in college when we had an all you can eat cafeteria and I was drinking.
I didn't gain any muscle mass, but I also never gained weight-even when drinking 4-5 nights a week-I lived in a frat house. I have been the same weight since I have been 21. I do not think I have an overly fast metabolism, but I have treated my body right-I take lots of vitamins and antioxidants. I have always been a "health" nut-I have heart disease and cancer in my family so I would rather be proactive in terms of my health. I don't want to rely on doctors to try to cure my body from years of abuse.

I bought Weight Gainer powder at GNC-that will immediately add another 1800 calories per day. I will lift harder. The thing is I do gain strength and am fairly strong despite lack of muscle mass. I went to the gym with my friend the other day-he is bigger than I am-6'2 and 200 pounds and goes to the gym a lot. I was able to do more pull downs with a heavier weight (180 for 15 times then I kept knocking the weight down) than he could and could leg press 330 for 30 times. I military press 170 so despite the fact I have not gained mass, I have gained a lot of strength.

As I said, I am not trying to gain that much mass-maybe some more in my chest and shoulders. I am just trying to look a little better-not trying to get ultra ripped, etc. I have no reason to get like that-I would not be able to maintain it. Too many other things to worry about.

Here is an updated picture after two weeks of "cutting" I have dropped about 5 pounds, mostly in my stomach and back-using Eviscerate and a bunch of other things.
LOL, im glad i came back to this thread otherwise i would have missed this pic. Dood its gonna take 2 years of training to get this patheticly mooshy body to be "ULTRARIPPED", that or you better be a super hero that can change into a hulking man in the blink of an eye.

spimp187

Awards
It really sucks-every other male in my family was large and gained muscle with no problems..My dad was 6'2 240 in high school..starting defensive on high school football team that won back to back State Championships (PA) His brother was the same size..my uncle and my grandfather and my mom's size were over 6'2..and athletic.. (uncle was a small college QB) Somehow I got ripped off when it comes to muscle building genetics..but I did get brains..not sure where that came from .:)
Hmmmm... do you look like your dad at all? Was he away alot for work or in the military before you were born?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Ok guys-I am going to take your advice. I am going to order some Testo Pro tomorrow...and going to buy nothing but whole milk/butter. Whole milk protein shakes and butter toast is the only thing I know that will enable me to add more calories to my diet other than eating crisco. I will continue with my weight loss stack or at least part of it.
Maybe I didn't gain before because I didn't have enough fat in my diet?
your not thinking it through-by buying those products you are also buying saturated fat which is unhealthly (BLOCKED ARTERIES ETC!)Looking st the pic in the OP i would certainly do a weights programme thats going to add mass , concentrating on large muscle groups chest back legs and do a routins of say 5 x5.Judging by the supplements youve bought, youre expecting them to do the work and really its down to you.
Theres plenty of advice on this thread for you , but personally if i was in your shoes , id start from the begiining and seek out a novices training routine , diet and supplement programme (google) If your trying to impress the girls on the beach this summer, i think theyd rather see a guy who has some muscle on him even though it may be hidden by a small layer of fat.

pittguy578

Awards
I used TestoPro and drank two protein shakes a day..Gained some mass and lost the flab on my stomach. My new camera should be here this week. I will take some pics.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Get back to basics and stop hoping for easy results. If it was easy and quick everyone would be doing it. Find a partner, who has some base knowledge, to lift with. You need to eat and keep eating and lift right. You need base muscles before you worry about size. You need good form when lifting to get base muscle. Once you get a good base you will be able to do what you want.

Chill out and work hard or you will be really disappointed.