5'7 and Gaining

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
I'm 5'7. I've been working out for about 4 weeks. I've kept good nutrition and am getting about 100 grams of protein a day ( I know I need more :damnit1:).

I'd like some feedback. I know I want to get a lot bigger but I'm sure there are things you guys can pin point for me. All criticism/feedback will be appreciated.

As for supplements, I'm taking 2 1500mg caps of Creatine a day and then eating a pretty good diet. I've noticed some decent gains but like anyone else, I want more.

Shots are from today just flexing (no pre workout)

Goooooo :swordfight:

Attachments

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
reserved

So I took a 3 Month break. Still ate healthy but didn't exercise at all. Been at it for a week and am in college so you know how that goes. Anyways here I am:

I was pleased with my previous routine but I’m going to alternate my rep/set scheme as well as my days. I’ll be super-setting so every four sets I’ll take a 40-60 second break. Monday will be 8 reps, Wednesday will be 10, Friday will be 6 but every workout I’ll add 5 pounds so I’ll keep a constant progression.

The major body parts I will be working on are (I’ll choose one of each):
legs - squats, hack squats, leg press, front squats
back - sumo deadlifts, suitcase deadlifts (deads with dumbells), romanian deadlifts
upper back (and biceps) - chins, reverse grip chins, pull ups, wide grip pull ups, bent over rows
chest - bench, incline bench, chest dips (head down, body forward, legs back)
triceps - close grip bench, dips (head up, body straight, legs straight), skullcrushers (while laying on a bench)
delts - military press, upright rows, clean and press, push press

Goal of this routine is to maximize natural release of GH in my body to get the most gains from my exercises. By keeping a good pace up with minimal amount of breaks on Wednesday, it will give me the highest GH release.

So my new schedule would look like:
Sun: Cardio
Mon: Full body (4x8)
Tue:Calves
Wed: Full body (4x10)
Thu:Cardio
Fri: Full body (4x6)
Sat: Shoulders

Diet is the same but I'll be adding Cell-Tech Hardcore Series (2 scoops a day during exercise)

Any suggestions or opinions on the backtracking 3 months does. Physically you can't see much but boy, under that bench you can tell lol. Went from 220 max to poop which explains the shrunken chest. I'll also need to cut a bit to get in shape for the beach

Last edited:
abnxtwo

abnxtwo

Banned
Awards
Yeah bro you got a decent start there keep pushing.

Whats youre routine consist of?

What are you eating?

And where are the pics of the wheels man?(legs)

Build those legs to see some growth up top.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
solid foundation.

your rear delts seem to need a bit more developing to catch up (they're lagging behind a bit). keep up with mostly compound movements and you should be good to go. 100g of protein is probably not far behind from what you need : 140-150 grams is where i would say you should be at. with regards to supplements, i think you're good on the creatine, and invest the rest of your money in protein, carbs, and good old food. you shouldn't need more than that to get to 160 pounds.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
Yeah bro you got a decent start there keep pushing.

Whats youre routine consist of?

What are you eating?

And where are the pics of the wheels man?(legs)

Build those legs to see some growth up top.
Dietwise:

5-6 meals a day. Probably 3-4k calories
Protein: 100 grams but am increasing to get to 160+
Healthy fats, tons of vitamins, vegetables, a few healthy sugars, and a good probably 120-200 carbs a day

For example, it's 4:40 and I've had 128 grams of protein, 106 carbs, and around 2000 calories. And once I have some good whole wheat pasta, I will have reached my goal for the day :]

Routine:
I know I'll get slammed for this and I'm all for taking advice. I think I'll keep it this way till I hit a brick wall (stop gaining) and then move on to your advice to surprise my muscles..but here we go

Work out 5 times a week:
Monday: Bench (reg, inclined, declined), tricep workouts, shoulder presses, dumbell flys, dips with weight, and shrugs
Tuesday: Work out my back with machines, preacher curls, pull ups (wide and narrow grip), pull downs,
Wednesday: Quads, hamstrings, and calfs (mostly machines)
Thursday: Same as Monday
Friday: Off
Saturday: Same as Tuesday

The reason I don't do dead lifts, etc., etc. is because I've never been taught and I'd like to not hurt my back permanently so machines will do for now. I don't like working out my legs but I've started to incorporate them into Wednesdays. Will working out my legs more help me get bigger in general? Logic tells me that lifting heavy weights regardless of what major muscle group, will release testosterone (especially at my age) which would help muscle growth everywhere. Correct?

From previous experience of working out (I was pretty hardcore a few years ago), running inhibits me gaining any mass whatsoever. Now I haven't had much personal experience with HIIT so I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on it.

I'm also dying to get my traps, upper chest, and shoulders bigger. If you guys have any workouts, send them my way!!

Also keep up the comments and recommendations. I'll get pics of the "wheels" next week :)

Last edited:
CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
reps bro - keep at it. Don't forget lower back and legs. I used to rarely lift legs and I plateaued pretty quick. Once I started hitting legs again my weight went up.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
solid foundation.

your rear delts seem to need a bit more developing to catch up (they're lagging behind a bit). keep up with mostly compound movements and you should be good to go. 100g of protein is probably not far behind from what you need : 140-150 grams is where i would say you should be at. with regards to supplements, i think you're good on the creatine, and invest the rest of your money in protein, carbs, and good old food. you shouldn't need more than that to get to 160 pounds.
Yupp I agree. My rear delts and traps need a lot of help. Any workouts you can recommend?

Yeah I've been told that if you want to weigh xxx amount of pounds, you need AT LEAST xxx amount of grams of protein. Guess that is true :party:

:feedback:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
there's a few different workouts floating around that might agree with you, i'll link all 3

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/109366-ectomorph-workout.html#post1659080
http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/144792-growth-stimulus-training.html

just read up and decide which one suits you best - there's nothing that works 100% for everybody, but there are obvious similarities in all ecto based workouts.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
there's a few different workouts floating around that might agree with you, i'll link all 3

just read up and decide which one suits you best - there's nothing that works 100% for everybody, but there are obvious similarities in all ecto based workouts.
Thanks for those. I had already read the first 2 but I'll bookmark the last one to read soon. I also read the DC training for beginners which I think I will switch to once I hit a brick wall with my current setup.

I'm also interested in the 5x5 workout I keep hearing about. Any good links for that?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
do anything other than DC. you need a good 2 years of foundation work and really knowing how to push yourself before trying DC. after a couple years of training though, DC is a solid platform to jump into.

if you google "riptoe's starting strength" or "bill starr 5x5" you should find quite a few links :)

abnxtwo

abnxtwo

Banned
Awards
Just wanted to say mxer657 much props for not asking about how to use a PH to get to your'e goals:439:

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
do anything other than DC. you need a good 2 years of foundation work and really knowing how to push yourself before trying DC. after a couple years of training though, DC is a solid platform to jump into.

if you google "riptoe's starting strength" or "bill starr 5x5" you should find quite a few links :)
I will do. I'll have a lot of reading in the next few days :banghead:

Just wanted to say mxer657 much props for not asking about how to use a PH to get to your'e goals:439:
Thanks man. I really appreciate it. It's hard but I'm not going down that road at all.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
Just weighed in at 132 and max bench is up to 185. I'm trying to get to 220 by summer and 250 by end of summer.

I've put on muscle so that's good. Finally workin out... I did some HIIT for the first time in 2 years after doing a really hard work out and I almost died lol

I'm also looking to make my shoulders bigger. I understand how to make the front and side bigger, but how do I make the back of my shoulder bigger? (look at pic 2 and 3)

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
solid foundation.

I totally agree.

Focus a lot on your bent over rows, pullups, bench presses, squats, deadlifts, overhead presses and core work.

Develop your compounds and your three pulls (deadlift, row, pullup).

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
I totally agree.

Focus a lot on your bent over rows, pullups, bench presses, squats, deadlifts, overhead presses and core work.

Develop your compounds and your three pulls (deadlift, row, pullup).
Thanks I'll do that. I'm kind f nervous doing deadlifts or rows because I don't know proper form so I don't ever touch it with the bar. Could anyone link me a good video or two?

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
uve only lifted for 4 weeks u said in ur first post? neway looks like ur off to a good start but if u wanna get anywhere u really gotta incorporate the compound lifts. deadlifts and squats too not just benching. but good work so far bro keep it up

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
uve only lifted for 4 weeks u said in ur first post? neway looks like ur off to a good start but if u wanna get anywhere u really gotta incorporate the compound lifts. deadlifts and squats too not just benching. but good work so far bro keep it up
Yeah I lifted when I was younger for national's (motocross) to be in top shape but now it is just to get bigger. I'd like to but I don't know proper form and you can't trust half of those videos out there on youtube..

Can anyone send me in the right direction for Dead lifts, Rows, and Squats?

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
you tube rippetoe he haas all the instructional videos

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I agree with everyone. Since your new to lifting, focus on learning a routine that is comprehensive. It takes time to learn them all and you are going to feel awkward with some of them. Also, focus on eating right, and when to eat what type of foods.

Don't be one of the many gym dudes who like to sit around and bench, talk, bench some more, and then do bicep curls. Learn all of the lifts, they are all important. Plus you might find out that your genetics blessed you with great traps or quads or lats. You would never know it if you didn't learn how to work them.

Get some good whey protein. 2 scoops with some milk and water is about 50 grams. Drink one in the morning and one after your workout or before bed on non-workout days. That's 100 grams right there alone and you will get about 50-100 more if you are eating balanced meals.

Good luck.

Browse the Exercise Science, as well as the Training forum. There is a ton of under-utilized info in there.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
bump pic updates added :)

Also got my bench up and have really been hitting everything pretty hard except abs and back. Have had some noticeable gains in size in my shoulders, arms, pecs, and upper traps.

I'll hit this week pretty hard on the back to catch it up. I've also added a few forearm workouts here and there

pctforeal

Awards
  • Established
DIdnt read the whole thread but few key things:

1. Diet is HUGE, you probably already know this, but you can bust your a$$ all you want in the gym, but if your not putting it back in then you give them no reason to grow. Lifting actually breaks down muscle, not makes em bigger. Its what you do out of the gym afterwards that makes them bigger.

2.It way to early to start calling out weak points. If you've only been lifting for 4weeks youve made good progress thus far. Bit more toned as you can see better muscle definition etc...Give it some time and let your body develop. Work your body evenly from head to toe and front to back. Over months/years weakpoints will then reveal themselves and you'll then begin to prioritize your training. As for now just continue at a simple split 4-5days a week with good rest, sleep good, eat good, lift hard/smart and it wil come in time. No offense but I had better shape but looked just like how your body does. Although Iwas a bit leaner from playing soccer forever but my point is, I got hooked on the gym and 7yrs later naturally Ive built an amazing physique for a natural bber.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
no lil wayne poster in the back = 20 added lbs

permanabol

Awards
For rear delt suncloud recommended me face pulls (youtube search) I do them seated on the low row now and that really hits em good
best of luck
and everyone is saying to start deadlifting do it I never did and when I started it became my favorite lift :) just remember chest out arch back (not slouch) looking up will help here and but down and drive from heels
best of luch

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Good start just stick with it. Where in NC are you?

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
are you real
yeah... why lol?

For rear delt suncloud recommended me face pulls (youtube search) I do them seated on the low row now and that really hits em good
best of luck
and everyone is saying to start deadlifting do it I never did and when I started it became my favorite lift :) just remember chest out arch back (not slouch) looking up will help here and but down and drive from heels
best of luch
Sounds great I'll have to try some face pulls

Good start just stick with it. Where in NC are you?
Thanks man. Charlotte and yourself?

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
Outside of Raleigh atm I graduate from UNCC last year. Where you work out? I used to be at the Peak in Harrisburg or the on in Matthews

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Consistency is key, but we all have the hurdles life throws at us. I don't think its been asked yet, what is your sleep schedule like? How many quality hours of sleep do you get per night? If you dont get much sleep, or much quality sleep your body will not grow like it should.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
I typically get 8-9 hours of sleep. It's hard to get more since I'm in college..

newbie2bb

joined but be consistant man . its the key to growth that and deadlifts squats and bench. remember to be the man u gotta beat the man ...whoooooooooooooo

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
you're really short
Thanks. That really helps :hmmm:
And I'm 5'7 which is short 2 inches short of the average. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On another hand at least I don't have a Jew Fro so :bryce:

vadox6466

Thanks. That really helps
And I'm 5'7 which is short 2 inches short of the average. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On another hand at least I don't have a Jew Fro so
LOL, how many standard deviations do those two inches take you away from the median? And don't limit that to just the bodybuilding world ;)

No worries, I wasn't trying to be a d*ck, just making an objectively valid and emotionally neutral comment. My subjective opinion, however, is that you should have easily made 3x the progress (especially considering your height), as an extra 10lb of mass on you would look like a hell of a lot more than and extra 10lb of mass would on me at 6'1". The ridiculously rapid visible changes you can make to your physique are something that I'm honestly jealous of.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
LOL, how many standard deviations do those two inches take you away from the median? And don't limit that to just the bodybuilding world ;)

No worries, I wasn't trying to be a d*ck, just making an objectively valid and emotionally neutral comment. My subjective opinion, however, is that you should have easily made 3x the progress (especially considering your height), as an extra 10lb of mass on you would look like a hell of a lot more than and extra 10lb of mass would on me at 6'1". The ridiculously rapid visible changes you can make to your physique are something that I'm honestly jealous of.
Well thank you. The only problem with that is that I'm fighting genetics. I worked out for two years straight and wasn't much bigger than this. But on another hand, I out lift most people weighing under 180 lbs on the basketball team. My muscles get a lot stronger, but it is a bitch to get them bigger. I've been considering switching to a 4 set plan for ectomorphs but I tried it and I just don't feel as well worked out after words. I like working till failure

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I am an ecto too, but i am finally learning to eat, and eat enough.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Well thank you. The only problem with that is that I'm fighting genetics. I worked out for two years straight and wasn't much bigger than this. But on another hand, I out lift most people weighing under 180 lbs on the basketball team. My muscles get a lot stronger, but it is a bitch to get them bigger. I've been considering switching to a 4 set plan for ectomorphs but I tried it and I just don't feel as well worked out after words. I like working till failure
Ha! I'm in the same boat as you (or I was anyways)! I'm in the Air Force (heavy aircraft crew chief), and ALMOST 5'6" and couldn't grow muscle size for the life of me, but I was pretty strong (compared to my fellow crew chiefs anywho). Then I turned 24. And, life hit me! Trust me, things will change! When I was deployed, I was taking in probably about 4000 calories a day (guestimating-probably more) just to maintain my 135 lbs (at the time). But I couldn't gain any weight. I was also 10% BF. Now, I'm struggling to get back down to ~11% - ~12% BF from my 13.5%. Gaining size now though! Tradeoffs suck! Good luck man!
--Brian

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha im in the middle at 5 9 :) puttin on 35 pounds since last feb feels pretty nice, I wont lie. and dude if your 19 hit up some of the goodies, get some T boosters and hit that creatine, get it in ethyl ester I heard its the best, some of the pills just are crap some are great. get alot of food in you. I mean alot. as much as you can. its gona hurt, and your gona feel sick alot.... just eat. and eat. it takes an hour to an hour and a half to digest a normal sized meal like 600-1k cals, so eat every 2 hours, and eat healthy. youll put on fat and then have room for muscle, and just keep eating. dont be afraid to get fat. look at yourself. no offence but genetically your realy skinny. that just means your gona be able to loose any weight again REAL easy. so try to get some fat on you, it will help you gain muscle, then when your ready cut back down and your genetics will do you well. hit up double shakes a day, thats what I do when I bulk.

finally make sure your getting your vitamins, and if you drink alot of milk/calcium look into zma or a zinc supp. zinc has been used for thousands of years lol. I know how you feel wen it comes to lifts, its probably hard to go heavy because of wrists elbows and stuff right? I know it killed me when I started lifing. just find what you can push hard without pain and hit it, over and over.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
Haha im in the middle at 5 9 :) puttin on 35 pounds since last feb feels pretty nice, I wont lie. and dude if your 19 hit up some of the goodies, get some T boosters and hit that creatine, get it in ethyl ester I heard its the best, some of the pills just are crap some are great. get alot of food in you. I mean alot. as much as you can. its gona hurt, and your gona feel sick alot.... just eat. and eat. it takes an hour to an hour and a half to digest a normal sized meal like 600-1k cals, so eat every 2 hours, and eat healthy. youll put on fat and then have room for muscle, and just keep eating. dont be afraid to get fat. look at yourself. no offence but genetically your realy skinny. that just means your gona be able to loose any weight again REAL easy. so try to get some fat on you, it will help you gain muscle, then when your ready cut back down and your genetics will do you well. hit up double shakes a day, thats what I do when I bulk.

finally make sure your getting your vitamins, and if you drink alot of milk/calcium look into zma or a zinc supp. zinc has been used for thousands of years lol. I know how you feel wen it comes to lifts, its probably hard to go heavy because of wrists elbows and stuff right? I know it killed me when I started lifing. just find what you can push hard without pain and hit it, over and over.
Thanks for the tips. I'm staying away from t-boosters. I did a little fad with Cell-Tech Hardcore Creatine and liked it a while ago. I'm currently running a 2 month run of bulking and using Jack3d to push it to the next level.

But on another hand, I need to cut. And god damn I was so close but ate like **** on spring break. Little protein and useless calories and no lifting. :rant2:

It'll just be more damn work. I'll post some pics though.

Any recommendations additional cutting. I'll be doing HITT everyday. Maybe even twice a day. I"m just looking for other stuff to add.

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
Update:
7/10/2011

7/17/2011 (third day of Meltdown):

All pics are after cardio, sauna, and shower so no pump just a flex.
I've changed my routine. I just got done doing 4 weeks of MMA training 4 hours a day, 5 days a week (little to no lifting). Basically, I did this to give my body a break.

For about three weeks I've been basing my days off of compound movements so one day is chest, tri's and shoulders, another is back and bi's and another is legs and lower back.

As far as supplements, none but Whey protein shakes. I just started VPX Meltdown two days ago. Currently on one pill and I hate fat burners. They are all bullsh*t... but this one is actually working. The only reason I tried it is because I friend I trust lost 1.5% BF on it while doing a lean bulk.... So yea.. Can't hurt.

If you guys see anywhere I need to work on, let me know. I know I need to work on my legs and shoulders (always a hard spot for me). Also, BF% estimate?

mxer657

mxer657

Awards
I did great but stopped VPX for two weeks and only worked out twice a week from working and partying.

Time to kick ass this week and start meltdown again.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
you need ALOT more calories. sat 3500cals ed and aim for 200-250grams of proteen NOT just 100. I dont even eat eat and I get to 250-300g EVERYDAY so no excuses.
get some whey protein tak in 3 shakes at around 50g each so there alone is 150g of protein then ad in another 100g from food ATLEAST .
also google: DC Trainning . and read the blog of that guy. its a decent workout setup. but i go a bit mor reps 6-8 reps per set and i go for liek 45min not just 25. but its still close to the same kind of workout and worked well.
also DONOT WORKOUT EVERYDAY 3-4 days a week.
i highly rec EVERY OTHER DAY. and dotn hit the same part mor ethen 2 times a week , just onces per week seems to work for me.
for supps ASGT from LG is a good preworkotu along with N2KTS also. and i also rec Postal from LG.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cplgonzo Anabolics 18
Powerlifting/Strongman 8
rob561 Pics 38
rob561 Pics 80
Pics 4