taking pictures...

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ive gotten some good advice from unreal in terms of taking pictures....

however i want to know how to get the best lighting... i know directly over me, but what if that option isnt available...

Camera angle?
no flash?
what kind of mirror? (are there even different kinds?)
if taken with the sun as your light, same time every week?
what kind of camera? are there specifics?
is there a setting on a digital that you wanna set your camera to?

What bout when using a phone?
same questions as above apply..

jimmbow

jimmbow

Awards
Camera angle?
no flash?
what kind of mirror? (are there even different kinds?)
if taken with the sun as your light, same time every week?
what kind of camera? are there specifics?
is there a setting on a digital that you wanna set your camera to?

What bout when using a phone?
same questions as above apply..

For all of those:

Take pictures and see what works best for you.....there are so many deciding factors, but unless your trying to get some sort of model rep from the picture you post, non will make that big of a difference.

Just point and shoot. If you dont like it, try it again. Rinse, and repeat.

Also, if your taking pics weekly, then yes, try to keep the settings and lighting the same....remember where you stand, and your good to go.

As for camera's, the best setting would be the timed shoot so you can get the camera up and run in front of it and pose whithout having to hold it.

M16

M16

IBE Rep
Awards
  • Established
Damn that's a lot of thought put into pics...I just snap a pic with my phone and be done with it...I would think a flash would wash you out a bit if you were to use one, and outside pics always have the best shadows which show off the "cuts" more.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
overhead lighting, preferably sunlight, no fluorescent lighting if possible. definitely no flash - it makes muscle bellies look flat. same goes for camera work - overhead lighting is best.

if logging however, i'd do inside bathroom lighting, as its the most honest way of doing a log.

i can take pics inside that look like crap, and same day outside ones that make me look so much better, and for that reason i feel like outside and overhead lighting is best for glamor/vanity purposes, but falls flat with regards to honestly logging. IMO.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well not really for log but for showing prgress yes a lot of thought. But who wants to look soft in a picture. Definetly diff light shows diff cuts and imperfections. But where's that happy median that you find

For example if I snap a pic in one spot it appears I have a pouch due to shadow and slight tan line. Move 2 feet to the left it fades more. Then a completly different mirror I look much harder in however the picture doesn't come out that well

tyke

Awards
Using the built in flash on your camera will not give the best results. Side lighting from a window or a light from above will show muscle definition much better.
As mentioned earlier you need to use the same setup each time to show your progress.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
For example if I snap a pic in one spot it appears I have a pouch due to shadow and slight tan line. Move 2 feet to the left it fades more.
that's why sunlight is perfect for an avatar picture, but for logging purposes its a bit unfair.

exact lighting taken weekly measures your own progress much better, as there aren't variables, such as "well, the sun moved a bit, and the shading is off..."

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
for example, here's a couple pics from my NOS-FX run (NO booster).

pic pre pump, same day, same lighting

pic post pump, same day, same lighting

doing outside lighting, sure i could get a better picture, but the variables in it (quality of light, shading, etc) screw up the results, and leave people with confusing pictures, inability to see what you've actually done, etc. there's no way given that i spend an hour at the gym that outside i could hit the exact lighting - ever - unless it was inside, in a bathroom.

here's overhead sunlight of my tri's.

the point is, sunlight and overhead lighting gives a much better picture, but again, the variables of that picture make gains a little unclear. for personal progress, exact lighting is very important. for all out cool pics, sunlight is best. at least that's how i see it.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sounds good to me ill keep loggin my prgress maybe ill throw every pic I took up in a thread