6 month transition, cut then bulk

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
like the title says, this started off with a major cut, and then a 1 month bulk. Planning to step onstage in about 2 months, so another cut is planned too.

the cut from fat pics to the lean pics was about 4-5 months, then from the lean pics to the bulked pics about 1 month. the bulk was clean and as strict as the cut.

4-5 month cut

bulked again 1 month

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
Nice cut bro. Did you have any help?

not sure what you mean by help, but no hormonal supplements and no trainer or nutritionist if that's what you mean. as far as the contest is concerned, charles ray arde, ifbb pro is local, and I was thinking of getting some advice there even if it costs $. since cutting down vs getting ready for a show is probably night and day.

Navyrigger

Awards
How are the wheels. And by help i meant fat lose supps. Did you lose any power?

doyoudo911

Awards
was the cut/bulk all natural (just diet and training)? or did you use supps/phs/ or AAS?

also I agree, NICE cut

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
you were ****in ripped after that cut man -- excellent job; the dedication shows!

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
no AAS, ephederine, clen, etc. the only fat burner I took was REDuction by controlled labs, and I think it's just as easily replaced with some caffeine. The diet is probably 85% of the equation, 14% is the training (cardio, more circuit oriented training, HIIT) and 1% is supplementation.

I have about 5 weeks to get back into that shape and this time around i'm going to do it with far less supplementation because i believe it doesn't really have that profound an effect. I'll definitely update everyone because sometimes i think the supplements are very misleading. the effort spent on finding the best supplement would be better spent on googling recipes, buying tupperware, cooking, and learning how to cook better. i can honestly say if I didn't take a serious interest in cooking I would never have been able to cut. I think of a new recipe each week, and tailor it to fit my macros. it makes the dieting possible.

not sure what PHS is?

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
WOW! That's some serious cutting - looking ripped :thumbsup:
Good luck on the stage, I'm sure you'll do great. Also, thanks for your note on supps vs. diet.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
thanks everyone, any competitors here have any suggestions on when to remove things like glycerol monstearate and creatine? or any suggestions on carb/salt/fat manipulation the week before the contest?

jsg

jsg

Awards
WOW man very nice cut. I agree with you that good recipes can help cause I'm trying to cut right now and it's hard because the food is boring and I know it would be easier if I had good recipes that have taste.

vadox6466

Just out of curiosity.. you probably plateaued at least once during the cut -- how'd you get over it? Change your macros up? Also, how'd you transition into your bulk after? (ie, how much did you up your calories each week?)

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
hey vadox,

i definitely plateaued and I'd say until you are sure your next plan is going to get you to your goal, then keep a little something up your sleeve for the inevitable plateau.

i guess the phases were like this:

1.) same foods, split into more meals
2.) cleaner carbs (lower glycemic)
3.) add in a few 30 min steady state cardio sessions morning or after workout
4.) increase cardio time
5.) increase frequency of cardio
6.) start dropping carbs
7.) add fat burners
8.) add HIIT then steady state cardio after on off-days

so you can see it gets more intense towards the end, whereas each number represents a potential plateau buster.

I can imagine if you did the kitchen sink method where you do 1-8 all at once, you might shock your body and run out of tricks before your body gets to where it want to be. (perhaps doing all 8 is such a shock it's catabolic too). Moreover, doing all 8 of those for a prolonged period of time is tougher than gradually adding them over the course of 2 months say.

i did have some fundamental rules like, I would not drop carbs less than 75 grams a day ever. and i would not do <100 grams for more than 3 days a week.

i don't think i'd ever do more than 2 hours of cardio a day either.

so if I coudln't achieve what I wanted without breaking those fundamental rules I would consider that my genetic limit. because if you had to break those rules, there's no way you can maintain that lifestyle, and the bounce back when you bulk again is going to be horrendous.

speaking of bulking again, i can't stress enough to add the carbs back in SLOWLY. for example, you can add or subtract 20 grams of carbs a day and your body may not really realize it. Do that with 50 and your body may respond. I went from eating average 100 grams of carbs daily to eating about 300 in 1.5 weeks and I got bloated fast and felt horrible. Can't stress enough to take this part slowly...

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
sweet jesus, I did not expect your second picture to be that significantly different haha. Great job on the bulk, bet it feels nice to bulk like that and maintain the abs!

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
my wheels are ok. i'm using the "bounceback" from dieting -> bulk transition to add mass to my wheels. i truly believe in this principle now as before dieting I was bulking for about a year. I made gains the first 2-3 months, then stayed the same for 9-10 months! I think the body needs these dietary shocks to keep it uncomfortable and therefore growing.

contrary to most, I'm hitting wheels about every 4-5 days, sometimes every 3. The moment they are not sore, I will hit them again. i don't care what else is on is planned on my split, as my legs are priority now. I simply don't see results for any bodypart if I let it rest too long past its soreness phase. the only exception is if I am not sore at all after a leg workout, I'll rest 48 hours to make sure I don't get DOMS for one, and just to give it 48 hours to recuperate as that is my default.

i do calves in the same regard, so it ends up being every other day or every third day. Hitting it with that kinda frequency also gives you a chance to try different exercises, go heavier, or go volume, or go rest pause, etc.

bmw8591

Awards
  • Established
WOW

Nice cut. I would love to see a sample of your diet from some of your days throughout the cut. Again, GREAT work!

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Awesome work!

zzzxtreme

Awards
pinchharmonic, that's impressive! your post motivates me. Wanna look just like that!

xink

Awards
  • Established
Damn, this thread blows me away every time I click on it! Serious work and dedication man, very impressive results!

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
WOW

Nice cut. I would love to see a sample of your diet from some of your days throughout the cut. Again, GREAT work!
an average day would be:

- fat burners, some caffeine

- HIIT or steady state cardio, 20 mins or 45 respectively

- 10 grams of carbs from fruit with some bcaa (tiny breakfast)

- take shower, get ready for work about 35 minutes

- 35-50 grams of carbs from oatmeal, either quaker 1 minute oats or weight control quaker oats. I usually would add some ground flaxseeds to this for 3 grams of fat. 1 whole egg and 6 egg whites. (real breakfast)

- salmon + veggies (about 35 grams of protein from salmon), i don't count carbs from the veggies

- chicken or lean beef (about 35 grams protein worth) + veggies

- two pieces of brown rice bread (about 35 grams carbs) with a bit of almond butter, 8-10 grams fat, some whey protein (40 grams)

-weight training, followed by some more steady state cardio at 45 minutes or jump rope for 10

- cream of rice, about 20 grams carbs, with EAA blend (PWO meal)

- some chicken and veggies, another 30 grams protein

- some cottage cheese with flaxseeds, about 30 grams of protein, but cottage cheese does have some carbs. occasionally i'd skip this meal and I swear I would wake up ripped, but it felt weird to not have casein pre-bed.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
you must be in the BAY? have you been to built tuff?

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
Hey man, i know you said earlier that you gradually got to this level of your diet right (assuming that from your bag of tricks haha). I was just wondering how long it took you to reach this point in your diet? I took off 1.5 weeks because of my wedding, and I plan on getting really cut by august. Do you think it owuld be wise for me to just go for the same diet, or work my way back into a good diet?

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
Hey man, i know you said earlier that you gradually got to this level of your diet right (assuming that from your bag of tricks haha). I was just wondering how long it took you to reach this point in your diet? I took off 1.5 weeks because of my wedding, and I plan on getting really cut by august. Do you think it owuld be wise for me to just go for the same diet, or work my way back into a good diet?
hey buryme,

assuming that you were on a good diet prior to the wedding, and after 1.5 weeks you are ready to continue making progress I would just go back to the same diet before. no need to gradually go down as 1.5 weeks you can treat as a very successful reset of your metabolism and your sanity. I would think of it as 1 step backward and now you can make 2 steps forward.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
you must be in the BAY? have you been to built tuff?
hey mixedup!

yes I am from the Bay! I haven't been to built tuff, but I see Charles Arde at the gold's I go to in campbell sometimes. I talked to him briefly i think two weeks ago and he told me to drop by and I'm planning on it.

i'm thinking of doing a show about a month away and I have no idea how to pose. Either way, even if I don't do the show I may drop by built tuff since Charles is a really cool dude and it might be nice to go check out his training in action and get some tips.

how bout you? Do you workout there or get trained there?

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
what are a few of your favorite recipes?
i really like buffalo burgers from trader joe's. They are about $5 for 4 burgers, and each burger has 46 grams of protein and 12 grams of fat. I think that protein/fat ratio is comparable to chicken breast, moreover, it's beef and needless to say beef seems to be king. foreman grilling those burgers, and adding some tony cachares seasoning salt is fine. I'd say that is my go-to protein source recipe.

as far as carbs, quaker oats quick 1 minute oats with a tablespoon of peanut butter, a splash of almond milk (maybe 1/3 cup), and a dash of salt (very important), is great when bulking, you can kill the peanut butter when you are cutting.

xink

Awards
  • Established
i really like buffalo burgers from trader joe's. They are about $5 for 4 burgers, and each burger has 46 grams of protein and 12 grams of fat. I think that protein/fat ratio is comparable to chicken breast, moreover, it's beef and needless to say beef seems to be king. foreman grilling those burgers, and adding some tony cachares seasoning salt is fine. I'd say that is my go-to protein source recipe.
Sounds good but what about delivery, going protein style, pita or something else?

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good but what about delivery, going protein style, pita or something else?
xink I didn't quite get that. Trader Joe's is a physical store near my house so I just get some of that stuff (frozen) every week or so. Protein style? do you mean the way you can get items made at fast food? I'd probably prefer that than the white bread bun.

I eat my burgers with GABA brown rice and veggies.

burymestanding

burymestanding

Awards
Those burgers sound really good, but its going to be hard for me not to throw it on a ww bun, or have some katchup. Thanks for the great sounding ideas! I am totally going to make these next week :)

xink

Awards
  • Established
xink I didn't quite get that. Trader Joe's is a physical store near my house so I just get some of that stuff (frozen) every week or so. Protein style? do you mean the way you can get items made at fast food? I'd probably prefer that than the white bread bun.

I eat my burgers with GABA brown rice and veggies.
My bad, sorry for not explaining further. When I said, "delivery" I meant, what is it you're using to deliver the burger to your mouth, I was assuming it wasn't a regular bread bun so was wondering if you did it with a Pita, if you're doing it with nothing at all, or going "protein style" which is In and Out Burger slang for lettuce only - hold the bun. ;)

JKBB44

Awards
an average day would be:

- fat burners, some caffeine

- HIIT or steady state cardio, 20 mins or 45 respectively

- 10 grams of carbs from fruit with some bcaa (tiny breakfast)

- take shower, get ready for work about 35 minutes

- 35-50 grams of carbs from oatmeal, either quaker 1 minute oats or weight control quaker oats. I usually would add some ground flaxseeds to this for 3 grams of fat. 1 whole egg and 6 egg whites. (real breakfast)

- salmon + veggies (about 35 grams of protein from salmon), i don't count carbs from the veggies

- chicken or lean beef (about 35 grams protein worth) + veggies

- two pieces of brown rice bread (about 35 grams carbs) with a bit of almond butter, 8-10 grams fat, some whey protein (40 grams)

-weight training, followed by some more steady state cardio at 45 minutes or jump rope for 10

- cream of rice, about 20 grams carbs, with EAA blend (PWO meal)

- some chicken and veggies, another 30 grams protein

- some cottage cheese with flaxseeds, about 30 grams of protein, but cottage cheese does have some carbs. occasionally i'd skip this meal and I swear I would wake up ripped, but it felt weird to not have casein pre-bed.

I've noticed this too when i'd skip my cottage cheese for some whey and natty pb. I also noticed when i take some sort of casein protein before bed i don't wake up as hungry. Sorry for the rant but your diet looks on point and you've got the results to show for it. Nice work!

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
[/B]

I've noticed this too when i'd skip my cottage cheese for some whey and natty pb. I also noticed when i take some sort of casein protein before bed i don't wake up as hungry. Sorry for the rant but your diet looks on point and you've got the results to show for it. Nice work!
yea i agree entirely. i read somewhere that casein doesn't cause fullness, whereas whey does (ironic huh it digests slower). i like the idea of whey and some natty pb, it'll slow the digestion to a certain degree and I'm pretty bad with getting all my fats when cutting. i notice a very clear drop in libido once my fats go too low.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
My bad, sorry for not explaining further. When I said, "delivery" I meant, what is it you're using to deliver the burger to your mouth, I was assuming it wasn't a regular bread bun so was wondering if you did it with a Pita, if you're doing it with nothing at all, or going "protein style" which is In and Out Burger slang for lettuce only - hold the bun. ;)
no prob xink. whole wheat bread works well too. the burger is so good it actually tastes great by itself, allowing you to taste the details of the meat. it is almost justlike beef, but it has a nuttier taste which to me is really delicious. a bit of ketchup and protein style is a treat to me.

xink

Awards
  • Established
no prob xink. whole wheat bread works well too. the burger is so good it actually tastes great by itself, allowing you to taste the details of the meat. it is almost justlike beef, but it has a nuttier taste which to me is really delicious. a bit of ketchup and protein style is a treat to me.
Nice... I haven't had buffalo in years, I'm definitely swinging by Trader Joe's to grab some! Thanks!

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
Nice... I haven't had buffalo in years, I'm definitely swinging by Trader Joe's to grab some! Thanks!
ya just remember, these cook fast because it's so lean

bjj666

Awards
I don't know if I can do what you have done, major props for the dedication!

rippedX

rippedX

Awards
Wow man, amazing cut. You have no idea how motivating that is!

Dracoy

Dracoy

Controlled Labs Representative
Awards
  • Established
Wow you look amazing, what ethnicity are you?

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
thanks again guys,

dracoy, prob pm'd u, but yea i'm chinese like yourself!

Parsnip

Awards
You're ****ing lean as ****! Thanks for posting, ispirational!

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
holy **** lol lookin dam good bro