Accountability time

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
I posted about 2.5-3.5 months ago here and got some feedback. I was lighter and lower bf%, and then as now my goal is symmetry and aesthetics. I want to achieve/maintain symmetry as I grow. Eventually I would like to be 200-210 at 6-8% bf year round.

These pics are not the best, and I don't have any handy for "before" - but I have put on a ton of strength and my targeted areas - mainly traps, pecs, lats, and quads per the feedback I received last time I posted here - have grown to be proportionate with the rest of me.

I'm interested in general thoughts and where to go from here. I will begin a slow recomp in about 2 more weeks, keeping cals fairly high and upping exercise volume (mainly more cardio). I am hitting what I perceive to be my weak areas right now...calves, traps, forearms, neck, chest...while still hammering away at my back and legs hard.

(^that one is mainly only here because I had trouble showing my legs and they look decent in it)

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
I suck at taking pics of myself! They either turn out crappy or I feel like I'm doing trick photography. Here is a posing video, kind of dark but more authentic than the pics. Only thing you can't see too well are my quads.

YouTube - feb 09 pose

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Good work. As for suggestions, I'm not completely clear on what your goal is right now. You're right at the upper end of target weight, were you planning to put on more size or drop more bodyfat?

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
I'm actually just 190-194 right now (water retention, who the heck knows). I would guesstimate 10% body fat at most. That leaves a lot of room for improvement...when I get done with my current PCT stuff in a couple weeks, I will drop cals from 4000+ to about 3500 and up exercise volume. Like I mentioned in your thread as a suggestion, the slow approach to leaning out seems to work best for me. I'd like to stay 190ish and get leaner in the short term...and in the longer term, add about 10lb LBM. Not in a hurry, I'm just hammering away at my weak points. I think if my calves, forearms, and traps were noticeably developed I would look much more impressive.

Thanks!

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
I'm actually just 190-194 right now (water retention, who the heck knows). I would guesstimate 10% body fat at most. That leaves a lot of room for improvement...when I get done with my current PCT stuff in a couple weeks, I will drop cals from 4000+ to about 3500 and up exercise volume. Like I mentioned in your thread as a suggestion, the slow approach to leaning out seems to work best for me. I'd like to stay 190ish and get leaner in the short term...and in the longer term, add about 10lb LBM. Not in a hurry, I'm just hammering away at my weak points. I think if my calves, forearms, and traps were noticeably developed I would look much more impressive.

Thanks!
Gotcha. I would say then to work on overall thickness thru the back and shoulders. If you focus on basic movements this is going to take care of everything you mentioned(except calves of course). Rows, presses, upright rows. And really hit the side delts. Try not to get caught up in doing two things at once. If you want to get lean, get lean. If you want size, focus on that. My experience has been that I get diminished results by trying to stay too lean while putting on size or by trying to add muscle while dieting. You look to be able to stay lean easily which is a blessing, and you have a decent base of mass already. My opinion would be to work on that extra size that you want first and given your current conditioning I doubt you would have to worry too much about getting sloppy. And a bonus is that extra lean mass burns extra calories at rest.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
Gotcha. I would say then to work on overall thickness thru the back and shoulders. If you focus on basic movements this is going to take care of everything you mentioned(except calves of course). Rows, presses, upright rows. And really hit the side delts. Try not to get caught up in doing two things at once. If you want to get lean, get lean. If you want size, focus on that. My experience has been that I get diminished results by trying to stay too lean while putting on size or by trying to add muscle while dieting. You look to be able to stay lean easily which is a blessing, and you have a decent base of mass already. My opinion would be to work on that extra size that you want first and given your current conditioning I doubt you would have to worry too much about getting sloppy. And a bonus is that extra lean mass burns extra calories at rest.
Thanks man. This type of advice is exactly what I'm looking for - sometimes it really helps to get outside your own head. Rather than consider it a recomp or lean bulk, I will just take my monkey brain out of the equation and focus on basics like you said.

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
Looking great dude. If anything, I would just try and hypertrophy that chest.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
Hey, thanks! I appreciate the complement. I feel like my pecs flare out but just don't get thicker...I've done a LOT for them, for like the last 4-5 months. They have grown some, but not to match the surrounding muscles. I did dips and added 5lb every week, working up to strict flared dips, pausing at the bottom, with 45lb added (I could use more if I bounced and recruited the triceps)...ring pushups...tons of flies...wide-grip bbbp to neck...incline bbbp...decline db bp...and still no chest thickness. I think though that maybe if I do what jarhead suggested, strive for upper back and shoulder thickness, my chest will be forced to catch up - or maybe I am just fated to have a chest that isn't very thick. Oh well :)

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Hey, thanks! I appreciate the complement. I feel like my pecs flare out but just don't get thicker...I've done a LOT for them, for like the last 4-5 months. They have grown some, but not to match the surrounding muscles. I did dips and added 5lb every week, working up to strict flared dips, pausing at the bottom, with 45lb added (I could use more if I bounced and recruited the triceps)...ring pushups...tons of flies...wide-grip bbbp to neck...incline bbbp...decline db bp...and still no chest thickness. I think though that maybe if I do what jarhead suggested, strive for upper back and shoulder thickness, my chest will be forced to catch up - or maybe I am just fated to have a chest that isn't very thick. Oh well :)
For chest thickness, here's a suggestion- First, drop the flyes for now and focus on movements that will build more overall size. Now, on all pressing movements, make sure you have your shoulder girdle in the proper position. Roll your shoulders back and in , pressing them back towards the bench and sticking your chest out. Keep your shoulders back in this position throughout the exercise. It's hard to describe without showing you, but if you play around with it you should feel your chest involved more. You might have to go with less weight at first but once you get used to it you get more out of it. Pick a movement for upper, middle and lower pecs. For example, Incline dumbbells (upper), Hammer strength flat(middle), and dips(lower)-you get the drift-and play around with varying the order from workout to workout. Use a weight that will only allow 6-8 reps on the first two excercises then with the last exercise allow for 8-10. Think of the last exercise as your "flye" movement and go just a tad lighter and really focus on squeezing and contracting. Make sure you increase weight from workout to workout, meaning that once you can do more than 8 with good strict form, add weight next time. Take the next day off,rest eat, grow. Also, if you have a separate arm day, make sure to include close grip bench presses for your tri's. These are just a few tips to help it along. Thickness will come with time and consistency.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I think you have a great base and I think your frame could accomodate another 10-15 pounds. Not saying that you look small, just saying your frame could hold the extra mass.

As far as chest, I would suggest heavy incline dumbell presses after regular bench presses. Based on your physique, it appears to me that your arms are your strong point. I am the opposite, where my chest develops well but my arms are slower to catch up.

PhysiqueFreak

PhysiqueFreak

Awards
  • Established
where my chest develops well but my arms are slower to catch up.
^^^Same. Arms look small compared to chest. As for OP, looking good. I was thinking the same with the Chest. I've been using a lot of DB presses to get my chest thicker lately, along with moving my grip in a little on BB bench, cause I have a wide-ass grip

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
Hey, thanks again for the advice everyone. I have been dragging lately, plus I lost nearly all my weight gain from my 3wk mdrol cycle. I was 186-187 at the start, got up to 197-8, now scale reads 189 (after 3 weeks of pct, doing everything by the book. didn't lose anything during my last pct from my first oral cycle). I look pretty much the same though so I guess somehow I get nothing but bloat and strength off mdrol. I don't even look much leaner. Not trying to complain, just saying I wish I was done with PCT. Guess it's a learning experience. I don't think I did anything wrong - reduced volume a bit and kept cals the same.

I am taking some Divanex (4/day), Testfuel (just ZMA, trib, maca, horny goat weed, and longjack, and rhodiola) (6/day), I3C, resveratrol, and quercetin for absorption...plus 1-carboxy...I will take this stuff for a few weeks after PCT is over (in a week) and take the suggestions - basically, blast upper back and shoulders and chest - and see if I can make some good gains and post new results.

Frankly I should get some good results from heavy pressing. I haven't put hard work into that aspect of my training for a while, thinking I'd be better served developing a "mind muscle connection" with my chest. I have had decent overhead strength in the past though, pressing 145 for reps and going up to 155 max...strict standing press...so maybe I can tap into that and get some growth!

Day 1
2x6-8 Push press
2x6-8 chins
2x6-8 standing OHP
2x8-10 pulldown
2x8-10 DB front raise
2x8-10 DB lateral raise

Day 2
2x6-8 back squat
2x6-8 DC style calf raise
2x6-8 sissy squat
2x8-10 standing one leg calf raise
2x8-10 back squat

Day 3
2x6-8 deadlift
2x6-8 DB bp
2x6-8 bent-over row
2x6-8 dip
2x8-10 DB shrug
2x8-10 incline db bp
1xAMAP drag rack pull (w/ DL weight)

Trying to keep it really simple and manageable. Will start with about 345 for deads, 80s for the flat db bp, 275 for the back squat (6-8) and 250 for the back squat (8-10)...not sure about push press etc.

blakkbwoy

blakkbwoy

Awards
you have some good size and and 10 to 15 pound jump is totally reasonable.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
you trying to flex your calves standing on your tippy toes and falling over a few times in a row may be the funniest thing i've seen all day.