can i compete?

nickd

Awards
ok so i have been lifting for nearly 7 years making solid gains. when i started i was 137lbs and i just broke the 200lbs mark. i have always maintained a clean bulk, however i just recently started a bulk where im trying to get up to 230 for my first show in july. couple of quick question is where do i need to improve on? i know my lats need some thinkness but the pictures are not the best. also i have done 2 ph cycles, the first being oxodrol and the second being spawn. looking to do 1 or two more what do you suggest, like i said im looking to hit 230ish so i can begin my contest prep. thanks in advanced.
not able to post pictures yet so my few photos are in my gallery

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Front and back lats as well as lower lats, outer bicep, and rear delts to be selective. That 30lbs you are talking about adding is going to be tough. I am not sure you can add 30lb and then cut to 3%bf from now until July. That is asking way too much.

Also, what do your calves/hams/glutes look like? This is a big big part of judging.

Also, how tall are you and what is your weight?

nickd

Awards
i am 5'10" 203 as of this morning, i agree that 30lbs is alot but my body fat has always been low and i am now finally not worrying about being such a clean bulk and eating really clean but 5-6k cals daily. i am going to keep my goals high as i know i will have no issue cutting to sub 5% body fat levels. no pics of calfs and rear hams. seem to be average to the rest of my body.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Of course you can compete. Whether or not you do well is a different story.

nickd

Awards
Of course you can compete. Whether or not you do well is a different story.
well im not looking to just do average, i want to make sure im in the best condition possible and would like to have a chance to be competitive.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I assume your looking to do a Natty NPC or NGA show? Need more pictures of real poses to be able to give a fair judge.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Competing, and being competitive are two completely different things. Anyone can compete, whether or not they give anyone a run is another story. What you want to do is just make sure you are super conditioned, better than the latter.

Another tip is to just make sure you have better wheels than everyone else. This is what separates the men from the boys in NPC most of the time. Also, I think you need to pick a weight class and shoot for your stage weight to fall into that class. At 5'10", you shouldn't be shooting for anything less than the highest weight possible in the middleweight class. If I remember right, I think middle weight goes up to 187lbs in novice NPC comps. That is after you cut down to 3-5% and lose 6-10lbs of water.

Lets just say at 208lbs, your bf is roughly 10%. In order to get down to at least 5%, you would need to lose 10.4lbs of fat. Keep in mind you would most likely lose a little muscle while doing this. After that, cut 6-10lbs of water and you are 187.6-191.6lbs. That would be an awesome weight for you to go in at. Even if you could pull off a couple more pounds and go in at the top of middleweight.

Giving the fact that you have time, I say pack on a few more lbs of lean mass. Don't worry yourself with putting on 30lbs, because you are not going to be Denis Wolff in the next 6 months.

nickd

Awards
Competing, and being competitive are two completely different things. Anyone can compete, whether or not they give anyone a run is another story. What you want to do is just make sure you are super conditioned, better than the latter.

Another tip is to just make sure you have better wheels than everyone else. This is what separates the men from the boys in NPC most of the time. Also, I think you need to pick a weight class and shoot for your stage weight to fall into that class. At 5'10", you shouldn't be shooting for anything less than the highest weight possible in the middleweight class. If I remember right, I think middle weight goes up to 187lbs in novice NPC comps. That is after you cut down to 3-5% and lose 6-10lbs of water.

Lets just say at 208lbs, your bf is roughly 10%. In order to get down to at least 5%, you would need to lose 10.4lbs of fat. Keep in mind you would most likely lose a little muscle while doing this. After that, cut 6-10lbs of water and you are 187.6-191.6lbs. That would be an awesome weight for you to go in at. Even if you could pull off a couple more pounds and go in at the top of middleweight.

Giving the fact that you have time, I say pack on a few more lbs of lean mass. Don't worry yourself with putting on 30lbs, because you are not going to be Denis Wolff in the next 6 months.
thats exactly what i was looking for, i guess i need to do a little more reasearch on the weight classes and what i would like to come in at. i was think of trying to stay 200ish contest weight if possible. i know i need another 5-10 lbs in my back and legs and yes my main focus are thoes two. i know most people lack thoes two areas and judging from the pictures from last years show a lot of guys could have had better legs.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
look for your states NPC organization. It will give more specifics about testing ,etc. you can also view pictures of the competitors who placed in your weight/height class to see what you should somewhat resemble

nickd

Awards
look for your states NPC organization. It will give more specifics about testing ,etc. you can also view pictures of the competitors who placed in your weight/height class to see what you should somewhat resemble
your the man!!!!!!!!!! thanks