High ALT liver enzyme

tallbikerguy

Awards
I am making this email I wrote to a knowledgeable user public...

As I have been inquiring about using something that would help with my partially torn rotator cuff, I did a physical exam last week and my results were ready yesterday.

It turns out that everything is fine, but the ALT enzyme came back high at 120. The doctor told me to retake the test and advised to get an abdominal ultrasound, as well as a hepatic panel. I had Hepatitis-A when I was 18 and I only drink on Fridays and Saturdays (2 or 3 drinks max). What's your take on this? I have read a lot about the reasons why ALT can be high but really I won't know until I have those tests retaken.

I take Omega-3 Fish oil daily at 2 pills a day and one-a-day multivitamins. I have added Super Cissus Rx for my shoulder.

I'd appreciate your guys' take on this. Thanks

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
I would honestly not even drink ONE alcoholic beverage for quite some time. Not until your tests come back normal. Normal ALT levels would fall between 7 and 56 units per liter of serum(liquid part of your blood) I'd get some Liv-52. It's one of the best liver supplements out there. A good antioxidant would also be an intelligent choice. Some Pomegranite, Vitamin C, things like that.

Last edited:

tallbikerguy

Awards
Thanks a lot man, great article. I have never taken any oral AAS though...or any kind of roids for that matter

GotTest

GotTest

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot man, great article. I have never taken any oral AAS though...or any kind of roids for that matter
...and don't start either.
I would lay off any alcohol and pain killers(acetaminophen) and take a liver support for a couple months, then retest.
SAMe is one of the best liver supports.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Injury and exercise can result in elevated ALT/AST. Before you spend your money on supplements retake test and to be on the very safe side avoid exercise for at least 24 hours and of course you should not drink or take things like Tylenol. JMHOFMPE:D

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards
yeah, i know what you mean about the liver enzymes.

My recent bloodwork revealed that my liver ALT enzyme was 126.
Could be from the sudden increase of intensity and frequency of exercise.

I also did sprain my ankle that time.

tallbikerguy

Awards
Well, could my partially torn rotator cuff be a cause? After all, that's an injury.

I had an ultrasound on Friday and a Hepatic/Hepatitis panel today. Let's see what the doc says. Hopefully I am fine!

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards
Well, could my partially torn rotator cuff be a cause? After all, that's an injury.

I had an ultrasound on Friday and a Hepatic/Hepatitis panel today. Let's see what the doc says. Hopefully I am fine!
Yes, inflammation in the body can and usually do cause elevated liver enzymes.

Remember, these enzymes are only indicative, they arent statements of liver damage.

I recently had a hepatitis test as well, since my ALT enzyme was 126 and AST was 37, but it came back negative.

It was just elevated liver enzymes which will come down once the inflammation ceases.

Plates1971

Plates1971

Awards
Liver enzyme realease (AST/ALT) are only released when there is direct damage to the liver tissue....when liver tissue is damaged it releases he enzyme that is measured in the blood. I see this often in my practice......causes??? Any OTC med can cause elevated liver enzyme....... Hepatitis is always a concern especially A (thru food) B&C (Blood and Body Fluids). Many people walk around with elevated liver enzymes daily ..... it is a red flag and should be followed up on...... repeat tests are good, and Ultrasound can determine if you have any Hepatomeglia ( Liver swelling). I would also request a Hepatitis Panel..... sex, tattoos, intranasal, or IV drug use can all be ways to catch B or C. The only way to know how much damage has been done is thru a Liver Biopsy to determine how much scarring has happened.....best to get checked to make sure everything is kosher.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Liver enzyme realease (AST/ALT) are only released when there is direct damage to the liver tissue....when liver tissue is damaged it releases he enzyme that is measured in the blood. I see this often in my practice......causes??? Any OTC med can cause elevated liver enzyme....... Hepatitis is always a concern especially A (thru food) B&C (Blood and Body Fluids). Many people walk around with elevated liver enzymes daily ..... it is a red flag and should be followed up on...... repeat tests are good, and Ultrasound can determine if you have any Hepatomeglia ( Liver swelling). I would also request a Hepatitis Panel..... sex, tattoos, intranasal, or IV drug use can all be ways to catch B or C. The only way to know how much damage has been done is thru a Liver Biopsy to determine how much scarring has happened.....best to get checked to make sure everything is kosher.
What exactly is your 'practice' if you don't mind me asking?

It takes a full hepatic panel to even begin to determine the origin of the primary etiology.....whether it be hepatic or biliary in nature. In all honesty, you're just reiterating what i've already stated in the thread link many posts above.

An abdominal ultrasound for Right upper quadrant pain/elevated lfts looks at far more than just your liver. Your gallbladder and pancreas are also visualized to exclude any obvious pathology in themselves which can also cause increased hepato/biliary testing levels.

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards

so are you saying that regular exercise leads to liver damage?
Liver tissue does not have to be damaged in order for more enzymes to be elevated.

Plates1971

Plates1971

Awards
What exactly is your 'practice' if you don't mind me asking?

It takes a full hepatic panel to even begin to determine the origin of the primary etiology.....whether it be hepatic or biliary in nature. In all honesty, you're just reiterating what i've already stated in the thread link many posts above.

An abdominal ultrasound for Right upper quadrant pain/elevated lfts looks at far more than just your liver. Your gallbladder and pancreas are also visualized to exclude any obvious pathology in themselves which can also cause increased hepato/biliary testing levels.
Tough crowd..... I am a nurse practitioner....and yes I do understand it takes a full hepatic panel to determine etiology..... I do understand an abdominal ultrasound looks at far more than the liver. I did not state it did not, but stated it was a adequate way to look at the liver....of coarse other diseases could be causes such as: Hellp Syndrome, Fatty Liver, Biliary Atresia, Hemochromatosis, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Primary Biliary Cirrhosis and a slew of other ailments can cause increased blood enzyme levels.....When I posted I thought I was speaking to just laymen, and not to professionals in The Medical Journal Of Medicine.... I did not realize I was going to have to break down the complete pathophysiology of the illness with all the causes.....these were just general suggestions for more common things that may be seen .........

tranceaddict

Awards
like to hear peoples responses to this,

27/09/07 - i did a MassFX / Hyperdrol X2 stack

AST and ALT levels were elevated, but as you can see on the third time testing - 2/1/8 back to within normal range except AST still elevated (possibly cause i worked out on the day of the test?)

i also posted it in the other thread

Attachments

Plates1971

Plates1971

Awards
so are you saying that regular exercise leads to liver damage?
Liver tissue does not have to be damaged in order for more enzymes to be elevated.
No, I am not saying regular exercise leads to liver damage.... yes aspartate aminotransferase (AST), can be caused by heart or skeletal muscle inflammation or injury, but is also found in the liver.. I did not go into complete detail...Again, I was making a generalized statement.....ALT is Liver tissue specific and yes AST can be found in heart and skeletal muscle but also in the liver....If his ALT and AST are high yes the AST can be elevated from heart or skeletal muscle inury or inflammation but ALT is liver specific and caused by inflammation or damage to liver tissue....... So, if both are elevated I guess he could have muscle inflammation and liver damage....but the fact of the matter remains liver damage or inflammation has taken place......Again tough crowd! I did not expect this type of discussion from a bodybuilding forum.... but now I know when I post here from now on to be completely specific and go into complete clinical depth so I will not be questioned of my credentials..... Sorry for the confusion.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Plates, welcome! Don't worry...not all the threads will be so harsh on ya, haha. Glad you joined up man.

Plates1971

Plates1971

Awards
It's cool...It was my fault for not being more specific.....no offense taken....everybody here seems to be a pretty good bunch......glad to see ya Deuce!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tough crowd..... I am a nurse practitioner....and yes I do understand it takes a full hepatic panel to determine etiology..... I do understand an abdominal ultrasound looks at far more than the liver. I did not state it did not, but stated it was a adequate way to look at the liver....of coarse other diseases could be causes such as: Hellp Syndrome, Fatty Liver, Biliary Atresia, Hemochromatosis, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Primary Biliary Cirrhosis and a slew of other ailments can cause increased blood enzyme levels.....When I posted I thought I was speaking to just laymen, and not to professionals in The Medical Journal Of Medicine.... I did not realize I was going to have to break down the complete pathophysiology of the illness with all the causes.....these were just general suggestions for more common things that may be seen .........
After reading my post again i was unfairly harsh, so for that i apologize. It's nice to have more people on this board involved in medicine and helping out. You're right though, laymen's terms are the best way to explain medicine to those that aren't familiar with its terminology.

I'm actually a nurse myself(Emergency Room), and have yet to decide whether to go the Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant or Nurse Anesthetist route.

Again, no hard feelings and welcome to the board! :cheers:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Male are "happy"*. Male nurses who are Sox fans are the "happiest"* :icon_lol:.

When they give you this :FUfinger: it's really an offer...for a free prostate message? :rofl:

* use your thesaurus :D

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously. Welcome Plates.

The more advanced discussion we can promote and entertain here the better. I have an idea in the back of my mind (well actually I have many...I just can't say them all out loud) for an advance discussion forum one day. My hope is that we can have this continue because if you are like myself; how does creatine or protein work gets old.

Adavanced discussion of physiology and the likes is very refreshing and even though some of us are not medical student or nurses we have the capacity to understand and retain this sort of information. So thank you all for raising the bar. It is appreciated.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Male are "happy"*. Male nurses who are Sox fans are the "happiest"* :icon_lol:.

When they give you this :FUfinger: it's really an offer...for a free prostate message? :rofl:

* use your thesaurus :D
Hey.......it's Murse!! :)

I won't even begin to tell you how yankee fans get their prostates' examined. ;)

Our teams do battle very soon brian......Game on!! :twisted::cheers:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously. Welcome Plates.

The more advanced discussion we can promote and entertain here the better. I have an idea in the back of my mind (well actually I have many...I just can't say them all out loud) for an advance discussion forum one day. My hope is that we can have this continue because if you are like myself; how does creatine or protein work gets old.

Adavanced discussion of physiology and the likes is very refreshing and even though some of us are not medical student or nurses we have the capacity to understand and retain this sort of information. So thank you all for raising the bar. It is appreciated.
Agreed, i think it's a great idea. And thanks B! I know i enjoy myself having advanced type of discussions. We have many very intelligent and helpful members on this board.

I myself enjoy both the teaching and learning experiences here on AM. It's what this board is all about and why i love it here. :)

Plates1971

Plates1971

Awards
After reading my post again i was unfairly harsh, so for that i apologize. It's nice to have more people on this board involved in medicine and helping out. You're right though, laymen's terms are the best way to explain medicine to those that aren't familiar with its terminology.

I'm actually a nurse myself(Emergency Room), and have yet to decide whether to go the Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant or Nurse Anesthetist route.

Again, no hard feelings and welcome to the board! :cheers:
Trauma 1 no problem....I understand completely. It is good to have people such as yourself on the boards who care enough to give guys solid medical insight..... I should have questioned the knowledge of the audience before I started posting. Anyways, it was no problem and thanks for welcoming me to the boards.......
As for the decision on where to advance your education and career, I have found that Physicians Assistants seem to get more respect than the nurse practitioner overall....I am not sure if it is the stigma of "nurse" attached to the title.... money wise a nurse anesthetist is the best paying job of the 3. Another very good field you may want to look into is a Legal Nursing Consultant......It is one of the few feilds you can work for yourself......you prepare medical legal cases for firms (malpractice, legal counsel whitnesses etc.).... very good pay......$100.00-$400.00 an hour. Anyways just something to think about........and guys sorry for the small hijack of the thread!

tallbikerguy

Awards
Ultrasound normal, still waiting on Hepatic/Hepatitis Panels...

tallbikerguy

Awards
ok everything normal, AST back to normal at 20 and ALT at 25. Thank you guys for the support/advice/documentation.

This forum rocks

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok everything normal, AST back to normal at 20 and ALT at 25. Thank you guys for the support/advice/documentation.

This forum rocks
Glad to hear all is well my friend.

I couldn't agree more. AM sets the bar as far as i'm concerned. :D