Benadryl (diphenhydramine) aids recovery?

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Recently I have been taking 50mg of benadryl before bed to prevent the down-regulation of the beta-2 receptor from ephedrine and I have noticed that my muscular recovery seems to have improved. I am wondering about how benadryl could improve recovery. I would guess that it may be due to a reduction or inhibition of histamine-induced cortisol secretion (histamine has been shown to enhance secretion of ACTH and cortisol);

Histamine-induced cortisol secretion from bovine a...[Jpn J Pharmacol. 1997] - PubMed Result

(WO/2007/076140) TREATMENT METHODS EMPLOYING HISTAMINE H3 RECEPTOR ANTAGONISTS, INCLUDING BETAHISTINE

Has anyone else experienced this?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I use it with valerian root and melatonin for sleep. Didn't know it had anothe benifits.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
antihistamines can also lower testosterone levels

your improved recovery is due to improved sleep

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
I'm with Sinner... I bet its due to better/deeper sleep.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I'll tell you one thing:

Nothing, absolutely nothing beats good sleep. You can take all the stims and crap you want, but sleep >>>>>>>>>>> everything when it comes to feeling good, having energy, and recovery.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Benadryl is an antihistamine which inhibits the H1 receptors. This action causes a decrease in smooth muscle swelling, (Ie. the muscles lining your airways and blood vessels.) and itchiness. Both of which occur in an allergic reaction. In profound cases overstimulation of the H1 receptors leads to a narrowing of the airway to the point of suffocation.

I can't see there being any effect of benadryl which would aid in muscle recovery. I have to agree with those on here who said ithat your results was due to better sleep.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Benadryl is an antihistamine which inhibits the H1 receptors. This action causes a decrease in smooth muscle swelling, (Ie. the muscles lining your airways and blood vessels.) and itchiness. Both of which occur in an allergic reaction. In profound cases overstimulation of the H1 receptors leads to a narrowing of the airway to the point of suffocation.

I can't see there being any effect of benadryl which would aid in muscle recovery. I have to agree with those on here who said ithat your results was due to better sleep.
yeah dude. diphenhydramine can be some nasty stuff at high doses. Gets you high, and puts you in a VERY dangerous condition. I knew some kids in high school who were sent to the hospital after taking a bottle of benedryl each.

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
not trying to hijack the thread--but dextromethorphan is another terrible one kids are using.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah dude. diphenhydramine can be some nasty stuff at high doses. Gets you high, and puts you in a VERY dangerous condition. I knew some kids in high school who were sent to the hospital after taking a bottle of benedryl each.
Being in the medical profession, I can honestly tell you it's absolutely amazing that benadryl is over the counter. There is a medication called "atarax" or "vistaril" which is literally the same thing, however it's controlled and by prescription administration only. Unreal man. The benadryl hangover is aweful to some people. I will say though, benadryl has its place overall.

I think what most people don't realize is that benadryl is a parasympathetic inhibitor(Autonomic Nervous system). Basically, that means it can and will increase your heart rate and blood pressure by inhibiting the parasympathetic response. This in itself is bad for many people especially with pre-existing medical conditions of cardiac nature(WPW: Wolf Parkinson's White Syndrome to be exact....or really an re-entry mechanism disease of the heart)

Benadryl is very often prescribed as a sleep aid for many people. Hell, atarax is prescribed for anti-anxiety issues.....and that's basically like taking a benadryl.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Being in the medical profession, I can honestly tell you it's absolutely amazing that benadryl is over the counter. There is a medication called "atarax" which is literally the same thing that is controlled and by prescription administration. Unreal man. The benadryl hangover is aweful to some people. I will say though, benadryl has its place overall.

I think what most people don't realize is that benadryl is a para-sympathetic inhibitor. Basically, that means it can and will increase your heart rate and blood pressure by inhibiting the para-sympathetic response. This in itself is bad for many people especially with pre-existing medical conditions of cardiac nature(WPW: Wolf Parkinson's White Syndrome to be exact.)

Benadryl is very often prescribed as a sleep aid for many people. Hell, atarax is prescribed for anti-anxiety issues.....and that's basically like taking a benadryl.

nice posting, plz give us more info on sleep aids and everything master !

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Trauma--just curious...in what way are you in the medical field. Been a firefighter/medic for 11 years.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trauma--just curious...in what way are you in the medical field. Been a firefighter/medic for 11 years.
Emergency Room nurse for almost 8 years.....most of it in a trauma setting....thus the name. :)

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
Figured something like that. Thanks for all you guys do, truly is you guys that keep ER's running.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Figured something like that. Thanks for all you guys do, truly is you guys that keep ER's running.
And like wise my friend. :) I have many fire/medic buddies. You guys equally do an amazing job in what you do. My dad was a fireman when we lived in CT for many years.....i wanted to do it, but i can't do heights bro haha. The healthcare system works pretty well when there are competent people at all ends of the spectrum. :D

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I can speak from experience that dextromethorpan is no joke - highly hallucinogenic. I mean like mushrooms or acid.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can speak from experience that dextromethorpan is no joke - highly hallucinogenic. I mean like mushrooms or acid.
I find it hard to believe that anything outside peyote or PCP even remotely comes close to a good acid trip, however dextromethorphan has been known to cause hallucinations in large doses.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mescaline!!! Call it by the name of the compound, not the cactus it is often found in.

There's a whole plethora of ergot alkaloids (i.e. LSD, Ergoline, etc.).

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mescaline!!! Call it by the name of the compound, not the cactus it is often found in.

There's a whole plethora of ergot alkaloids (i.e. LSD, Ergoline, etc.).
I know!!! :) I'm at work and not much time to type.

Lysergic Acid Diethylamide FTW.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know!!! :) I'm at work and not much time to type.

Lysergic Acid Diethylamide FTW.
yay dopamine!

(or in the case of LSD, dopamine, adrenaline, seratonin, and probably some glutamate as well. :))

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
Ya that **** can mess you up! I have random allergic reactions like once every 2 years, use to think it was from peanuts, but really not sure. Usually just after onset I have to drink a bottle of benadryl and not have to go to the hospital. My eyes swell completly closed, and I break out in rashes, and can feel my airway constricting! The stuff saves my life! But after you drink a bottle, your are really messed up!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ya that **** can mess you up! I have random allergic reactions like once every 2 years, use to think it was from peanuts, but really not sure. Usually just after onset I have to drink a bottle of benadryl and not have to go to the hospital. My eyes swell completly closed, and I break out in rashes, and can feel my airway constricting! The stuff saves my life! But after you drink a bottle, your are really messed up!

You should also keep a histamine-2 blocker around the house such as, pepcid(famotidine), zantac(ranitidine), or tagamet(cimetidine). They also assist in blocking the histamine cascade that leads to full blown anaphylaxis. Benadryl and an H-2 blocker together can save your life. :)

atjnutrition2

Awards
  • Established
You should also keep a histamine-2 blocker around the house such as, pepcid(famotidine), zantac(ranitidine), or tagamet(cimetidine). They also assist in blocking the histamine cascade that leads to full blown anaphylaxis. Benadryl and an H-2 blocker together can save your life. :)
For some reason our EMS chief decided to take promethazine off of our trucks. Great H2 blocker, also was outstanding when pushing iv pain meds.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Trauma,
Got a question on NVE's 7-phenyl stack. Someone on another board said there was a really strong stim in the mix of PEA-type molecules.

Can you take a look at the ingrediants and let me know what you think?

Thanks.

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks trama for the post, I'm going to have to look in to that! What I really need to do is just get myself a damn epi kit!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey thanks trama for the post, I'm going to have to look in to that! What I really need to do is just get myself a damn epi kit!
Without a doubt man. Having an epi pen is by FAR the most important tool to utilize during acute anaphylaxis. Please do yourself a favor and have one on you at all times as well as somewhere like you vehicle in case of an emergency. Having the other stuff around is just an added bonus. :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trauma,
Got a question on NVE's 7-phenyl stack. Someone on another board said there was a really strong stim in the mix of PEA-type molecules.

Can you take a look at the ingrediants and let me know what you think?

Thanks.
I'll look into it J and get back to you.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Acacia Rigidula (herb in 7-phenyl) is a natural source of amphetamine and methamphetamine (among other phenethylamines), according to a study done in 1998. Looking for the actual study, but not finding.

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
Question.. for those who use the benedryl after using clen or ephedrine, do you come off the products totally when trying to reenergize your receptors?

Curious cause Im ceasing all supplementation and getting my body back to normal

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Better sleep equals better recovery....period

When you sleep your body enters recovery mode. Recovery mode is also known as protein-synthesis, the coversion of proteins into muscle for the purpose of regeneration of the used muscle from the human workday, or as we do our workouts in the gym. Benedry helps this process because it causes a deeper sleep due to its lethargy side effects, and its anti-cholenergic properties. When you are in deep sleep your REM levels are at their fastest/highest. REMS trigger protein-synthesis. Which is why in the body building world we stress good amounts of sleep, and to not sleep is virtually wasting your workout. Ever wonder why we need those awesome power naps during the day when we really push ourselves at the gym?...(even though most of us working people cant afford a noontime nap) Getting good sleep for recovery is why GHB was so big in the workout world. Hope this helps.

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
get the liquid benadryl and not the tablets, less groginess and better onset of delivery

so wait why do people take benadryl and ephedrine together?

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
I, too, have been taking 6mg melatonin and 50mg diphenhydramine before bed. Found it in a single-dose gel-cap...

I like it to keep a regular sleep schedule. I would agree that the reason you're likely experiencing better recovery is because your sleep quality has increased.

Edit: the diphen is the only thing in the gel-cap, btw.

mrchristian

mrchristian

Awards
  • Established
I dont understand what the benefit of taking benedryl when using ephedrine is.

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dont understand what the benefit of taking benedryl when using ephedrine is.
I've heard this referred to as the 'Coastguard Cocktail', because members of the Coastguard would take diphenhydramine to ward off sea sickness and a dose of ephedrine to counter the drowsiness caused by the diphenhydramine.

For athletes using ephedrine, taking diphenhydramine separately can help stop the down-regulation of the beta-adrenergic receptors, which would result in tolerance to ephedrine.

Foolish

Awards
This is the reason people take diphenhydramine with ephedrine:

Ketotifen has some proof to show it upregulates B2 adrenergic receptors, the same receptors clen acts on, as a result, people will run it with clen to increase/prolong the effects.

Now here's where the bro logic kicks in:

Since Keto is an antihistamine then all antihistamines must upregulate b2 receptors-->Ephedrine effects beta receptors/causing an eventual down regulation-->Using diphenhydramine will prolong/increase the effects of ephedrine.

Problem is, ephedrine effects a lot of adrenoreceptors, it is not selective like clen is. With the keto/benadryl deal, people are confusing correlation with causation, I can not however say that this doesn't work, just that I haven't seen any actual proof for it.

As for the sedative/narcotic effects of benadryl, I can say that when naive to the effects of diphenhydramine, it is most similar to benzo's at a dose of 25-100, it becomes hallucinogenic at higher dosages, but not the good kind of hallucinogenic. DXM is an NMDA antagonist if I remember correctly, I can say that it is mildly hallucinogenic at a dosage of 200mg, but is more of a euphoric/intoxicant, its when you start getting up into the stratosphere on dosages that things get nasty.

And yes, Lysergic Acid Diethylamide FTW ;)

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
DO NOT try to OD on diphehydramine or dimenhydrinate to get high. I've tried it before and holy Christ did that suck. Just smoke weed to "aid" in your muscle recovery. (Ie. Put You To SLeep.)

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
DO NOT try to OD on diphehydramine or dimenhydrinate to get high. I've tried it before and holy Christ did that suck. Just smoke weed to "aid" in your muscle recovery. (Ie. Put You To SLeep.)

Its a deliriant in high doses, like nutmeg.

It's not a "fun" high, more like a "psychotic break" high. You spend the time hoping and praying your brain returns to normal.

Most people that experiment with deliriants don't do it again for this reason, and find the experience very unpleasant.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that's exactly how it felt. It's like a fearful paranoia, very opposite of the 'chill' paranoia you might get from weed.

I heard that Benadryl and Gravol (dimenhydrinate) put something in them in purpose so as to prevent people from abusing them?

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Last i heard i did not see any studies that backed the benadryl helped "refresh" beta 2 receptors....

Its fine in regular dose(cough syrup) if needed IMO. I wont touch it. When ever i do i get very tired and groggy, like im drunk or something. I dont like OTC much for this reason discussed by T1. Its amazing what the FDA will release.
Ill stick to our basic supps, GABA, Melatonin, L-Dopa etc...

PS- For the guy on 6mg of Melatonin, try .5mg or less. I would bet it help put you in a deeper sleep. I used to take 1.5g and it didnt seem to do much. I now just take a nibble on the tablet, about .5-.25g prolly and i have some fun dreams or nightmares(im a little scrwed up) hhahaah

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Last i heard i did not see any studies that backed the benadryl helped "refresh" beta 2 receptors....

Its fine in regular dose(cough syrup) if needed IMO. I wont touch it. When ever i do i get very tired and groggy, like im drunk or something. I dont like OTC much for this reason discussed by T1. Its amazing what the FDA will release.
Ill stick to our basic supps, GABA, Melatonin, L-Dopa etc...

PS- For the guy on 6mg of Melatonin, try .5mg or less. I would bet it help put you in a deeper sleep. I used to take 1.5g and it didnt seem to do much. I now just take a nibble on the tablet, about .5-.25g prolly and i have some fun dreams or nightmares(im a little scrwed up) hhahaah
true, never go above 1 mg melatonin and taking it sublingually works better.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
This is a bad idea in my experience. I was a daily habitual smoker for a few years, and I can say anecdotally as well as from my reading that both alcohol and THC drugs (weed, hash, etc) destroy your REM sleep. You "pass out," you don't "fall asleep"...when I came off of using weed daily for years I experience what is called REM rebound...for weeks and weeks I had more than usual amounts of REM sleep.

To the guys suggesting the .5-1mg melatonin sublingually...thanks! Awesome tip!

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is a bad idea in my experience. I was a daily habitual smoker for a few years, and I can say anecdotally as well as from my reading that both alcohol and THC drugs (weed, hash, etc) destroy your REM sleep. You "pass out," you don't "fall asleep"...when I came off of using weed daily for years I experience what is called REM rebound...for weeks and weeks I had more than usual amounts of REM sleep.

To the guys suggesting the .5-1mg melatonin sublingually...thanks! Awesome tip!
yeah man thats me!

zaosha

Awards
This is the reason people take diphenhydramine with ephedrine:

Ketotifen has some proof to show it upregulates B2 adrenergic receptors, the same receptors clen acts on, as a result, people will run it with clen to increase/prolong the effects.
The primary action we are concerned with is beta-2 receptor activity in adipose tissue in order to maintain enhanced lipolysis and in skeletal muscle in order to increase metabolic rate. There has been no research demonstrating up-regulation of adrenoceptors in these tissues with Ketotifen. The research everyone bases this theory on was looking at lung tissue of asthmatics if i recall.

I can't remember if if was Duchaine or Gundhil that came up with the original ketotifen hypothesis back in the late 90's, but there were lots of guys who attempted using it with clen and the anecdotal reports were very inconsistent, but basically noone was very impressed.

Ketotifen probably doesn't assist in lipolysis at all and histamine receptor antagonists actually seem to have some pretty profound negative metabolic potential. Lyle McDonald has recently discussed some of this research.

Even if there is some merit to the theory, bothering with this is pointless with proper EC use as there is no real evidence of meaningful down-regulation. EC studies of up to 6 months have demonstrated a continuous elevated metabolic rate - which far longer than it takes for severe down-regulation in response to potent selective agonists like clen.

Basically, if you have allergies that require anti-histamines in order to manage then take what you need, but these drugs are more likley to waste your money or even inhibit your progress from a body composition standpoint.

michael75

michael75

Awards
Is it correct that using Diphenhydramine effects testosterone levels? And if so by how much?

It`d be a real bummer if your taking supps to increase test,but,are effecting it by taking Diphenhydramine for sleep.

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Is it correct that using Diphenhydramine effects testosterone levels? And if so by how much?

It`d be a real bummer if your taking supps to increase test,but,are effecting it by taking Diphenhydramine for sleep.
i havent heard of that