Benadryl (diphenhydramine) aids recovery?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.63%

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) aids recovery?

Recently I have been taking 50mg of benadryl before bed to prevent the down-regulation of the beta-2 receptor from ephedrine and I have noticed that my muscular recovery seems to have improved. I am wondering about how benadryl could improve recovery. I would guess that it may be due to a reduction or inhibition of histamine-induced cortisol secretion (histamine has been shown to enhance secretion of ACTH and cortisol);

Histamine-induced cortisol secretion from bovine a...[Jpn J Pharmacol. 1997] - PubMed Result

(WO/2007/076140) TREATMENT METHODS EMPLOYING HISTAMINE H3 RECEPTOR ANTAGONISTS, INCLUDING BETAHISTINE

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I use it with valerian root and melatonin for sleep. Didn't know it had anothe benifits.
  3. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.95%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

antihistamines can also lower testosterone levels

your improved recovery is due to improved sleep
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
    •   

4. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.73%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

melatonin and ZMA and valerian
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.23%

I'm with Sinner... I bet its due to better/deeper sleep.
  6. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.88%

I'll tell you one thing:

Nothing, absolutely nothing beats good sleep. You can take all the stims and crap you want, but sleep >>>>>>>>>>> everything when it comes to feeling good, having energy, and recovery.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.08%

Benadryl is an antihistamine which inhibits the H1 receptors. This action causes a decrease in smooth muscle swelling, (Ie. the muscles lining your airways and blood vessels.) and itchiness. Both of which occur in an allergic reaction. In profound cases overstimulation of the H1 receptors leads to a narrowing of the airway to the point of suffocation.

I can't see there being any effect of benadryl which would aid in muscle recovery. I have to agree with those on here who said ithat your results was due to better sleep.
  8. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.95%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by atjnutrition2 View Post
    Benadryl is an antihistamine which inhibits the H1 receptors. This action causes a decrease in smooth muscle swelling, (Ie. the muscles lining your airways and blood vessels.) and itchiness. Both of which occur in an allergic reaction. In profound cases overstimulation of the H1 receptors leads to a narrowing of the airway to the point of suffocation.

I can't see there being any effect of benadryl which would aid in muscle recovery. I have to agree with those on here who said ithat your results was due to better sleep.
    yeah dude. diphenhydramine can be some nasty stuff at high doses. Gets you high, and puts you in a VERY dangerous condition. I knew some kids in high school who were sent to the hospital after taking a bottle of benedryl each.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.08%

not trying to hijack the thread--but dextromethorphan is another terrible one kids are using.
  10. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.95%

not trying to hijack the thread--but dextromethorphan is another terrible one kids are using.
    Mmmm Robitussin. That was my favorite cough syrup when I was younger.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    yeah dude. diphenhydramine can be some nasty stuff at high doses. Gets you high, and puts you in a VERY dangerous condition. I knew some kids in high school who were sent to the hospital after taking a bottle of benedryl each.
    Being in the medical profession, I can honestly tell you it's absolutely amazing that benadryl is over the counter. There is a medication called "atarax" or "vistaril" which is literally the same thing, however it's controlled and by prescription administration only. Unreal man. The benadryl hangover is aweful to some people. I will say though, benadryl has its place overall.

I think what most people don't realize is that benadryl is a parasympathetic inhibitor(Autonomic Nervous system). Basically, that means it can and will increase your heart rate and blood pressure by inhibiting the parasympathetic response. This in itself is bad for many people especially with pre-existing medical conditions of cardiac nature(WPW: Wolf Parkinson's White Syndrome to be exact....or really an re-entry mechanism disease of the heart)

Benadryl is very often prescribed as a sleep aid for many people. Hell, atarax is prescribed for anti-anxiety issues.....and that's basically like taking a benadryl.

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

12. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.14%

Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    Being in the medical profession, I can honestly tell you it's absolutely amazing that benadryl is over the counter. There is a medication called "atarax" which is literally the same thing that is controlled and by prescription administration. Unreal man. The benadryl hangover is aweful to some people. I will say though, benadryl has its place overall.

I think what most people don't realize is that benadryl is a para-sympathetic inhibitor. Basically, that means it can and will increase your heart rate and blood pressure by inhibiting the para-sympathetic response. This in itself is bad for many people especially with pre-existing medical conditions of cardiac nature(WPW: Wolf Parkinson's White Syndrome to be exact.)

Benadryl is very often prescribed as a sleep aid for many people. Hell, atarax is prescribed for anti-anxiety issues.....and that's basically like taking a benadryl.

nice posting, plz give us more info on sleep aids and everything master !
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

Quote Originally Posted by nycste View Post
    nice posting, plz give us more info on sleep aids and everything master !

Where have you been bud?

Legendary

14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.08%

Trauma--just curious...in what way are you in the medical field. Been a firefighter/medic for 11 years.
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

Trauma--just curious...in what way are you in the medical field. Been a firefighter/medic for 11 years.
    Emergency Room nurse for almost 8 years.....most of it in a trauma setting....thus the name.

Legendary

16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.08%

Figured something like that. Thanks for all you guys do, truly is you guys that keep ER's running.
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

Figured something like that. Thanks for all you guys do, truly is you guys that keep ER's running.
    And like wise my friend. I have many fire/medic buddies. You guys equally do an amazing job in what you do. My dad was a fireman when we lived in CT for many years.....i wanted to do it, but i can't do heights bro haha. The healthcare system works pretty well when there are competent people at all ends of the spectrum.

Legendary

18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.33%

I can speak from experience that dextromethorpan is no joke - highly hallucinogenic. I mean like mushrooms or acid.
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

Quote Originally Posted by arizonanewbie View Post
    I can speak from experience that dextromethorpan is no joke - highly hallucinogenic. I mean like mushrooms or acid.
    I find it hard to believe that anything outside peyote or PCP even remotely comes close to a good acid trip, however dextromethorphan has been known to cause hallucinations in large doses.

Legendary

20. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.95%

Mescaline!!! Call it by the name of the compound, not the cactus it is often found in.

There's a whole plethora of ergot alkaloids (i.e. LSD, Ergoline, etc.).
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
  21. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Mescaline!!! Call it by the name of the compound, not the cactus it is often found in.

There's a whole plethora of ergot alkaloids (i.e. LSD, Ergoline, etc.).
    I know!!! I'm at work and not much time to type.

Lysergic Acid Diethylamide FTW.

Legendary

22. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.95%

I know!!! I'm at work and not much time to type.

Lysergic Acid Diethylamide FTW.
    yay dopamine!

(or in the case of LSD, dopamine, adrenaline, seratonin, and probably some glutamate as well. )
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.88%

Ya that **** can mess you up! I have random allergic reactions like once every 2 years, use to think it was from peanuts, but really not sure. Usually just after onset I have to drink a bottle of benadryl and not have to go to the hospital. My eyes swell completly closed, and I break out in rashes, and can feel my airway constricting! The stuff saves my life! But after you drink a bottle, your are really messed up!
  24. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

Quote Originally Posted by mathis50262 View Post
    Ya that **** can mess you up! I have random allergic reactions like once every 2 years, use to think it was from peanuts, but really not sure. Usually just after onset I have to drink a bottle of benadryl and not have to go to the hospital. My eyes swell completly closed, and I break out in rashes, and can feel my airway constricting! The stuff saves my life! But after you drink a bottle, your are really messed up!

You should also keep a histamine-2 blocker around the house such as, pepcid(famotidine), zantac(ranitidine), or tagamet(cimetidine). They also assist in blocking the histamine cascade that leads to full blown anaphylaxis. Benadryl and an H-2 blocker together can save your life.

Legendary

25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.08%

You should also keep a histamine-2 blocker around the house such as, pepcid(famotidine), zantac(ranitidine), or tagamet(cimetidine). They also assist in blocking the histamine cascade that leads to full blown anaphylaxis. Benadryl and an H-2 blocker together can save your life.
    For some reason our EMS chief decided to take promethazine off of our trucks. Great H2 blocker, also was outstanding when pushing iv pain meds.
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.38%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Trauma,
    Got a question on NVE's 7-phenyl stack. Someone on another board said there was a really strong stim in the mix of PEA-type molecules.

Can you take a look at the ingrediants and let me know what you think?

Thanks.
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.88%

Hey thanks trama for the post, I'm going to have to look in to that! What I really need to do is just get myself a damn epi kit!
  28. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

Quote Originally Posted by mathis50262 View Post
    Hey thanks trama for the post, I'm going to have to look in to that! What I really need to do is just get myself a damn epi kit!
    Without a doubt man. Having an epi pen is by FAR the most important tool to utilize during acute anaphylaxis. Please do yourself a favor and have one on you at all times as well as somewhere like you vehicle in case of an emergency. Having the other stuff around is just an added bonus.

Legendary

29. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.5%

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post
    Trauma,
    Got a question on NVE's 7-phenyl stack. Someone on another board said there was a really strong stim in the mix of PEA-type molecules.

Can you take a look at the ingrediants and let me know what you think?

Thanks.
    I'll look into it J and get back to you.

Legendary

30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.38%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Thanks bruh.
  31. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.95%

Acacia Rigidula (herb in 7-phenyl) is a natural source of amphetamine and methamphetamine (among other phenethylamines), according to a study done in 1998. Looking for the actual study, but not finding.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
  32. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.95%
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  206 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.28%

Question.. for those who use the benedryl after using clen or ephedrine, do you come off the products totally when trying to reenergize your receptors?

Curious cause Im ceasing all supplementation and getting my body back to normal
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.36%

Better sleep equals better recovery....period

When you sleep your body enters recovery mode. Recovery mode is also known as protein-synthesis, the coversion of proteins into muscle for the purpose of regeneration of the used muscle from the human workday, or as we do our workouts in the gym. Benedry helps this process because it causes a deeper sleep due to its lethargy side effects, and its anti-cholenergic properties. When you are in deep sleep your REM levels are at their fastest/highest. REMS trigger protein-synthesis. Which is why in the body building world we stress good amounts of sleep, and to not sleep is virtually wasting your workout. Ever wonder why we need those awesome power naps during the day when we really push ourselves at the gym?...(even though most of us working people cant afford a noontime nap) Getting good sleep for recovery is why GHB was so big in the workout world. Hope this helps.
  35. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.52%

get the liquid benadryl and not the tablets, less groginess and better onset of delivery

so wait why do people take benadryl and ephedrine together?
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.69%

I, too, have been taking 6mg melatonin and 50mg diphenhydramine before bed. Found it in a single-dose gel-cap...

I like it to keep a regular sleep schedule. I would agree that the reason you're likely experiencing better recovery is because your sleep quality has increased.

Edit: the diphen is the only thing in the gel-cap, btw.
  37. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.39%

I dont understand what the benefit of taking benedryl when using ephedrine is.
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.63%

Quote Originally Posted by mrchristian View Post
    I dont understand what the benefit of taking benedryl when using ephedrine is.
    I've heard this referred to as the 'Coastguard Cocktail', because members of the Coastguard would take diphenhydramine to ward off sea sickness and a dose of ephedrine to counter the drowsiness caused by the diphenhydramine.

For athletes using ephedrine, taking diphenhydramine separately can help stop the down-regulation of the beta-adrenergic receptors, which would result in tolerance to ephedrine.
  39. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.5%

This is the reason people take diphenhydramine with ephedrine:

Ketotifen has some proof to show it upregulates B2 adrenergic receptors, the same receptors clen acts on, as a result, people will run it with clen to increase/prolong the effects.

Now here's where the bro logic kicks in:

Since Keto is an antihistamine then all antihistamines must upregulate b2 receptors-->Ephedrine effects beta receptors/causing an eventual down regulation-->Using diphenhydramine will prolong/increase the effects of ephedrine.

Problem is, ephedrine effects a lot of adrenoreceptors, it is not selective like clen is. With the keto/benadryl deal, people are confusing correlation with causation, I can not however say that this doesn't work, just that I haven't seen any actual proof for it.

As for the sedative/narcotic effects of benadryl, I can say that when naive to the effects of diphenhydramine, it is most similar to benzo's at a dose of 25-100, it becomes hallucinogenic at higher dosages, but not the good kind of hallucinogenic. DXM is an NMDA antagonist if I remember correctly, I can say that it is mildly hallucinogenic at a dosage of 200mg, but is more of a euphoric/intoxicant, its when you start getting up into the stratosphere on dosages that things get nasty.

And yes, Lysergic Acid Diethylamide FTW
  40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.08%

Quote Originally Posted by arizonanewbie View Post
    Good reason. It is related to Morphine.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 03:57 PM
  3. Diphenhydramine
    By MrBrightside in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-28-2009, 07:26 PM
  4. Somnidren with diphenhydramine
    By Aeternitatis in forum Millennium Sport Technologies