Tryptophan or 5-HTP

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For the purpose of reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation, which would be better?

I don't understand the science too well, but I understand that the general pathway involved is Tryptophan -> 5-HTP -> Serotonin. Obviously the goal is to potentiate serotonin.

So, which of the two supplements would be better to ultimately increase serotonin levels? Or is using both the key?

Hate4TheWeak

Hate4TheWeak

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Xanax!:thumbsup: Can't miss there. But between those two I say 5-HTP hands down. What exactly is your goal hear slamacama? Cause I have bad ass anxiety too and all I do for it is take phosphates and it seem's to be helping alot.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Xanax!:thumbsup: Can't miss there. But between those two I say 5-HTP hands down. What exactly is your goal hear slamacama? Cause I have bad ass anxiety too and all I do for it is take phosphates and it seem's to be helping alot.
Xanax made me displeased with everything and I could enjoy absolutely nothing. I'm basically trying to find something to increase serotonin as I believe it to be fairly low, and if I can find something that effectively increases it, then I'll be able to gauge the difference and confirm whether that's the problem.

I basically have some kind of social anxiety, and I often don't enjoy things as much as I know I used to. So I want to see if serotonin is the cause of this.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
For the purpose of reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation, which would be better?

I don't understand the science too well, but I understand that the general pathway involved is Tryptophan -> 5-HTP -> Serotonin. Obviously the goal is to potentiate serotonin.

So, which of the two supplements would be better to ultimately increase serotonin levels? Or is using both the key?

hmm nocturnabol has both 5-HTP and Tryptophan.. I just started taking it tonight so ill let you know how it goes!

KurtisWicked

KurtisWicked

Awards
Bulk 5-HTP would be the most cost effective. I've been using it for a while and find myself to be in a better mood.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
5-HTP actually gave me a bit of a narcotic effect similar to vicodin which I do not like. My body relaxes and my mind slows just a touch, but I feel as if my heart rate/BP increases, and being prone to anxiety that can sometimes trigger it for me. I prefer tryptophan.

J

JB22

Awards
Try Phenibut for your anxiety, this should help improve your mood more-so than using 5htp, particularly if your seretonin levels are quite normal. I suffered from anxiety for a while, and phenibut appears to kick me into touch. I like to combine it with GS's Adrenaline for wakeful energy + anxiety free mood.

Xanax, haha great stuff! I tried this for the first time in Vietnam a few years back, the coach rides were like 9-10 hours so I'd take one of these and wake up refreshed at the destination point! Or in my case I woke up as the coach had broken down with a flat tyre, quite refreshed I hopped off the bus, single-handedly removed the wheel + nuts & replaced it with the spare one as the 4ft driver was too malnourished to unwrench them himself. Ultimately saving the day and being the hero for many weary travellers. True story. Xanax... for winners! :) [Rambling gibberish rant over]

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Try Phenibut for your anxiety, this should help improve your mood more-so than using 5htp, particularly if your seretonin levels are quite normal. I suffered from anxiety for a while, and phenibut appears to kick me into touch. I like to combine it with GS's Adrenaline for wakeful energy + anxiety free mood.

Xanax, haha great stuff! I tried this for the first time in Vietnam a few years back, the coach rides were like 9-10 hours so I'd take one of these and wake up refreshed at the destination point! Or in my case I woke up as the coach had broken down with a flat tyre, quite refreshed I hopped off the bus, single-handedly removed the wheel + nuts & replaced it with the spare one as the 4ft driver was too malnourished to unwrench them himself. Ultimately saving the day and being the hero for many weary travellers. True story. Xanax... for winners! :) [Rambling gibberish rant over]
I have phenibut, and if I could take it continuously that'd be pretty awesome but unfortuantely tolerance builds within 2 or 3 days and I have to lay off it for a week at least.

J

JB22

Awards
I think a couple of days on the a couple of days off work for myself. How heavy are you dosing it? It gives a good nights rest too that's for sure. Try L-tyrosine on the off-days then assess how you're getting on.

On the 5-htp/seretonin discussion - are you consuming much milk? What is your diet like? A few bowls of hot cereal & milk or to drink will increase seretonin. Turkey, milk, whole grains, bananas, eggs all contain tryptopan.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think a couple of days on the a couple of days off work for myself. How heavy are you dosing it? It gives a good nights rest too that's for sure. Try L-tyrosine on the off-days then assess how you're getting on.

On the 5-htp/seretonin discussion - are you consuming much milk? What is your diet like? A few bowls of hot cereal & milk or to drink will increase seretonin. Turkey, milk, whole grains, bananas, eggs all contain tryptopan.
I eat a lot of bananas, oats, cottage cheese, and drink a lot of milk. I went for the 5-htp and while I was at the store saw some cheap St. John's Wort and decided to try that also.

Just dosed 5-HTP once at 100mg last night and I think my body felt more comfortable, but I'll see what it does in the next few days.

J

JB22

Awards
See how you go with the St.John's Wort, it has mixed results - I was one of the ones to feel depressed using it. And even though its herbal its still strong.

Talking of herbs there's a few to help with anxiety, such as Skullcap which is mildly sedating, Kava kava, peppermint. Other herbs such as chamomile, sandalwood, jasmine and rose are all helpful herbs for anxiety. Lavender is well known for its abilities to calm and sooth. You can easily add it in bathwater or even in a cup of tea. It's also popular with aromatherapy, candles, lotions and sprays as well.
Lastly, several people use the herb Valerian at night time. Gives a very deep relaxing sleep. Valerian is a natural sedative and analgesic, and is a good way for anxiety sufferers to catch some good sleep.

goslamacamel

goslamacamel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
See how you go with the St.John's Wort, it has mixed results - I was one of the ones to feel depressed using it. And even though its herbal its still strong.

Talking of herbs there's a few to help with anxiety, such as Skullcap which is mildly sedating, Kava kava, peppermint. Other herbs such as chamomile, sandalwood, jasmine and rose are all helpful herbs for anxiety. Lavender is well known for its abilities to calm and sooth. You can easily add it in bathwater or even in a cup of tea. It's also popular with aromatherapy, candles, lotions and sprays as well.
Lastly, several people use the herb Valerian at night time. Gives a very deep relaxing sleep. Valerian is a natural sedative and analgesic, and is a good way for anxiety sufferers to catch some good sleep.
I was interested in looking at Valerian to use on off days from Melatonin. Like every other night use Melatonin, then switch to Valerian the other nights. How would that work?

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Tryptophan 2-3 grams always chills me out. Never tried 5-HTP.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Tryptophan 2-3 grams always chills me out. Never tried 5-HTP.
Just to throw this in the discussion, I down 1-2 caps of NP's bulk trypthophan 2-3 times per week. It doesn't exactly knock me out like a hammer, but it helps me relax and fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time. Sleep quality is usually above average with feeling refreshed in the morning.

I also liked PowerFull as a sleep aide, but have less long term experience with PowerFull to adamently vouch for it.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I avoided scripts for my anxiety for a long time, and tried what you are trying. 5htp made me sleepy and crappy. Melatonin worked on sleepless nights, but I always recognized this way too late. After years of trying everything theraputic from breathing to journaling, which help short term, I went to a doc. First was effexor and xanax. Effexor was bad news and I never filled the xanax. Then he wanted to try effexor and lithium after I complained about the effexor and all the negatives I had researched on it. I said no way. Then came lexapro and I haven't looked back. My moods are better and I am a lot less nervous/anxious. No sexual sides for me. I do find that I don't get those all-out happy go lucky goofy days like I used to, which I miss, but that's just the medicine keeping me from being manic.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Having used both, I am going to have to go with Tryptophan. Wish I could qualify it a little better for you, but tryptophan is such a natural relaxation. 5-HTP just feels..odd.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Having used both, I am going to have to go with Tryptophan. Wish I could qualify it a little better for you, but tryptophan is such a natural relaxation. 5-HTP just feels..odd.
agreed been though almost two bags since it came to the planet and got another one in my cart I sleep nice on this stuff and the sertonin effect is noticed I feel more yin at time balancing the yang

great for the yin energy

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
have to agree with this, tryptophan is a nice, natural relaxation feeling whereas 5-HTP made me feel like I washed a vicodin down with a beer, and not in a fun way.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
when do you take your trytophan?

With all these stacks I tryed taking it earlier, at eight o clock(between meals, and go to bed at twelve) and it seemed to make me too relaxed whereas I didnt feel like doing my nighty chores before bed. I'm trying taking it the meal before my last meal.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
when do you take your trytophan?

With all these stacks I tryed taking it earlier, at eight o clock(between meals, and go to bed at twelve) and it seemed to make me too relaxed whereas I didnt feel like doing my nighty chores before bed. I'm trying taking it the meal before my last meal.
About 1.5 to 2 hours before you want to fall asleep.