social anxiety / zoloft

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
ok this is kinda hard for me to admit but i finally saw a dr. and told him i have a social anxiety.why is it hard to admit? i was raised very "old school".i worked a in a family business where unless you were dying you were not allowed to have off.basically suck it up and move on mentality.now at the age of 30 i finally am seeking help

my doctor prescribed 25 mgs of zoloft a day..anyone have experience with this condition or med?i looked into myself but i want to hear feedback? any help would be appreciated

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
While i dont have social anxiety i do have anxiety/mild depression.. A few of the drugs a doc brought up to me was zoloft so id like to here some feedback as well. Im just waiting on seint he psych to see what he/she has to say.

Itl get better man and atleast you got help! It took a lot for me to as well so ur not the only one. My girl had to drag me to the docs. :lol:

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
yea this is a last ditch effort.this anxiety klled me in art school and i kinda gave up on it.while i now have a great job i have a real want to get back into art..so i basically needed to do soemthing finally

camaro of solar

Awards
I have had social anxiety all my life, and still do. I was taking 20mg of Lexapro for this and generalized anxiety disorder for about a year. I found that taking the med helped me to learn to control these feelings as the medication forced the off switch to turn off whenever I started to get the panic feeling. Over the course of a year I learned how to utilize the switch and quit the Lexapro cold turkey (not recommended) and did really well as I had learned how to control it. Though I still get the feelings of panic and such, I understand fully how to deal with it instead of letting it control me. So dont worry man Social Anxiety and Generalized Anxiety Disorders are fairly common and many people are in your same boat. Some worse than others, but get treatment for it and allow yourself to enjoy being around people.

Schism

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Your not alone my brethren.
I too have pretty much always suffered from bad@ss anxiety. I know all to well how stupid it makes me fell to have to deal with being debilitated by imaginary evil forces. lol...But seriously I took Zoloft as a fcuking kid (15-17) this was before they knew it made kids/teens suicidal. It kind of made me feel like a machine, I felt no emotions at all (good/bad) other than that it completely killed my sex drive 100%. For a teenage boy I think there is a serious problem whenever that happens. I had trouble maintaining erections for very long and ya I wanted to fcuking kill people and myself!! Other than that it was great!!
Stay away from that sh!t at all costs would be my advise brother!! I have had good success with xanax, though some don't like it, I do because I don't have to take it every day only when I need it:thumbsup: and it works takes about 20-30 minutes to kick in.

MEH89

MEH89

Awards
  • Established
"I took Zoloft as a fcuking kid (15-17) this was before they knew it made kids/teens suicidal. It kind of made me feel like a machine, I felt no emotions at all (good/bad) other than that it completely killed my sex drive 100%." Been there done that. My mom was prescribed Zoloft, but never took it. I started taking nerve pills, Valium, xanax, klonopins. Then I started taking my moms zoloft. I would take Valiums, xanax, zoloft, klonopins and pain medication. I felt no emotions at all, happy, sad, scared. I only felt one anger. It was a wild ride to say the very least. No I wouldnt come within a mile of a pill, lost to much from that shiit. Mark

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
appreciate the feedback and support...it looks like zoloft is out for me i look like a damn strawberry from my chest to my waist.got a mean rash so i am stopping it..gotta hit the docs and see what he says is the next step..lol i cant win

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
ok this is kinda hard for me to admit but i finally saw a dr. and told him i have a social anxiety.why is it hard to admit? i was raised very "old school".i worked a in a family business where unless you were dying you were not allowed to have off.basically suck it up and move on mentality.now at the age of 30 i finally am seeking help

my doctor prescribed 25 mgs of zoloft a day..anyone have experience with this condition or med?i looked into myself but i want to hear feedback? any help would be appreciated
I would avoid SSRI's perhaps Gabapentin?

Manchester

Manchester

Awards
Try Lexapro. It has worked wonders for several of my friends that have social anxiety. Now they are social without the need for EtOH (liquid courage), and they haven't notice any ill effects with their libido or their gains in the gym.

Rabidpanda25

Rabidpanda25

Awards
Hey man,

I've got tons of experience with social anxiety, and GAD. Just like you, 7 years ago I went to my general practitioner looking for help. I was suffering from several and crippling social anxiety (to the point I was afraid to go to work), and mild anxiety and panic. And then it began. First of all, benzodiazapines are a god send for people like us. Unfortunately, they are very addictive and only useful for extremely short periods (like during panic attacks or transitioning between medicines).

My personal experience of medications starts with Wellbutrin, and goes through, Effexor, Zoloft, Lexepro, Buspar, Serequel, and more than I can recall. Unfortunately, none of the long term medications seemed to work effectively, and the ones that did had so many side effects that social anxiety were the least of my problems (among them, suicidal thoughts, extreme anxiety, and insomnia). After a 4 year rollercoaster ride, the only thing that seemed to work for me was changing my diet, and very regular exercise and only then, I didnt notice any change to my mental health for more than 6 months.

But... there may be medication out there that works for you. I would just advise you be very cautious and not put too much hope in every medication the doc might try to prescribe for you. We've come a long way in modern medicine, but unfortunately the mental health field is still ages behind the curve. A lot of these medications are like trying to kill a fly with a nuclear bomb.

Rabidpanda25

Rabidpanda25

Awards
I would avoid SSRI's perhaps Gabapentin?

Also, gabapentin's use as an anti anxiety medication is not supported by most physicians. Many won't prescribe it for this since its an off label use. Which is unfortuante, because I found that a regular small dose was somewhat effective for anxiety and overall mood. Gabapentin and neurontin are generally prescribed for most types of neuropathy.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
ok well jsut to update.i had to go onto another SSRI ,Celexa to be exact.dropped the zoloft as it did zilch for me.the results for me on celexa have been great. i am on 20 mgs a day and am kicking myself for not trying this sooner. i have been taking it for 3 months and i am finally able to do a lot of things i couldnt do 3 months ago.my training is finally dialed in,my personal life is 10x better.i will start therapy soon as i know i am only treating the symptoms of this cancer and not the cause, but man it is nice seeing results.thanks for all the help guys

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Zoloft has been kicking butt for me thus far as far as social anxiety goes.. Hope it lasts!

Glad to hear you're feeling good wojo.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I gotta say, Stablon's worked great for me. I'm so glad it was recommended.

Not only do I have no more need for ativan, but there are definite cognitive benefits to be had by stablon as well. 4 pd works best for me, if I take more it's a little stimulating in combination with other noots I take.

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
I second that Zoloft killed my sex drive from what it was. I mean it was almost a problem it was so high before, but after nearly a year off my sex drive has not risen back to previous levels; I still have it and it can spark up, but nothing like it was at embarrasing problem levels. So in the end not necessarily worse, just different.

Zoloft didn't really do much for my social awkwardness, but then again I had depression, not social anxiety. Helped with depression, but had I known and understood other supplemental options I would have avoided it. It's ok though because I needed it, it helped, and I'e moved on to better things to use nutrition/supplement/exercise wise.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
i have a appointment with my dr today as a followup.this is going on month 4 for me and it is only getting better,its sad seeing how bad i really was with my anxiety and how miserable i must have made my friends and family because i was in denial.

acantuniari

Awards

Zoloft is just an anti depressive drug not suitable for light depressive syndrom as yours. I took gerovital tablets when having a similar condition .The Gerovital has numerous side effects when ABUSING and can not be taken along with sulphamides, also the breaks must be religiously kept regular . The side effects are numerous when using FAKE Gerovital from all kinds of places and with fantasy names as ''gold Kh3'' or similar. The Romanian site of the Romanian manufacturer is www GerovitalProducts.ro and you can see there how it looks the genuine boxes produced by their factory. I am using Gerovital products since 1997 and i never experienced any side effects but i am only using the romanian genuine Gerovital made by the original romanian manufacturer. The best place to buy that i found in this ten years is www GerovitalShop.eu , here you get FREE shipping for the 12 month cure and live support for any question you might have. I must say that their only flaw is that they DO NOT SHIP to U.S.A. From my personal experience well as my friends' experiences i can tell few other sites selling ONLY genuine Gerovital products : www GeroVitality.com and www GerovitalProducts.com . Best wishes for health and long life to all forum members and their loved ones. Acantuniari

Kc2554

Awards
You not alone!

I was raised the same way, and I didnt start seeing a Dr. until after college. I use 30mg of Lexapro/day....the difference is night and day!!!

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
You not alone!

I was raised the same way, and I didnt start seeing a Dr. until after college. I use 30mg of Lexapro/day....the difference is night and day!!!
yea i swear i wish i had done this 10 years ago..i feel horrible for what i put my fam through. i over did christmass this year, i think out of sheer guilt..lol

TheBassGuy

Awards
I recently was diagnosed with depression/anxiety and I got a prescription for Wellbutrin XL @150mg/day. I have to say, its a fantastic drug... Just take 1 pill in the morning and its all good. The difference since I started taking it is fantastic. Its also known as the stop smoking drug "Zyban"... Kinda weird I thought.

Kc2554

Awards
I recently was diagnosed with depression/anxiety and I got a prescription for Wellbutrin XL @150mg/day. I have to say, its a fantastic drug... Just take 1 pill in the morning and its all good. The difference since I started taking it is fantastic. Its also known as the stop smoking drug "Zyban"... Kinda weird I thought.
:bb3:

I took that for a while, and it help stop my mind from racing in circles all day. Lexapro really took care of the anxiety.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
i was originally prescribed lexapro my isurance,playing doctor, wouldnt approve it they kept asking for prior authorization .so walmart got permisson from my doc for generic celexa(sp?).worked out for me 4 bucks a month

Kc2554

Awards
i was originally prescribed lexapro my isurance,playing doctor, wouldnt approve it they kept asking for prior authorization .so walmart got permisson from my doc for generic celexa(sp?).worked out for me 4 bucks a month
Insurance is a pain. Celexa ehh...Wiki says it was the old formula for Lexapro. Does it work well? I will ask the doc about it next visit.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
I have no way of comparing to lexapro but it has worked great for me. I haven't noticed any sides. Sexual or otherwise, which was what I was fearful of. Everyone is different tho

Kc2554

Awards
Has anyone tried Bacopa Monnieri (20%) for anxiety? I found it on a different site, and the reviews are very positive (above normal enthusiasm for a product I would say).

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
f*ck all the drugs.

I had severe performance anxiety...its the same thing as social anxiety where the room closes up and your heart pounds really fast...like an intense adrenaline rush. I had to perform in front of large audiences for scholarship auditions..we are talking like 150,000 dollars for a 3 minute performance. I thought of taking anxiety meds but discovered beta-blockers.

Its called inderall.

I use it for speeches, meeting the parents, performances...anything where I am on the spot in front of people.

My anxiety is caused by me being afraid of getting nervous. If I start to get nervous I get more nervous about getting nervous and people knowing I'm nervous and my voice shakin etc.

Inderall is a simply small pill and all it does is block the flight or fight signal...this means you feel absolutely normal and when you start to think about getting anxious your stomach cannot turn over and you will not start shaking...you just feel flat out chill. Its amazing and no side effects.

If you barely swerve around a wreck in traffic, about 5 seconds later you will feel this huge shot of adrenaline to your stomach and youll start shaking as a reaction. If you are taking a beta-blocker, that shot will be much much smaller depending on the dosage. Your brain will recognize the situation the exact same, so its not mind altering, but the viscious cycle of shaking, shortness of breath, heart pounding in your ears CANNOT and WILL not occur. This allows you to conquer your fears. You can get upclose to your fears without experiencing the physical effects. Your mind will be able to adjust as its not altered by this medication. Then you can ween yourself off....I used these for a whole year and I havent touched them in a long time after weeing off.
I def. recommend this to people with panic attacks before taking actual mind altering meds.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I have/had/whatever social anxiety. Took zoloft when I was a kid for a few months. I noticed it did make things better but came off it because I did not like how it made me feel (robotic.) For short term social anxiety nothing beats benzos but I don't think they prescribe them for that. All in all now I just have a few drinks and learn to realize that everything is OK... i still get panic attacks occasionally but it's better than being on the meds. i've learned to accept them, and once i do all is well.
RR

PS ... nervous about getting nervous... exactly. I get it if I travel, with people I don't know well, etc. I usually just say "I dont feel well" if it gets too bad and breathe through it. Goes away after a few mins of calming myself down. Whatever.

SupremeAlpha

SupremeAlpha

Awards
Dude wojo man I was diagnosed as a 17 year old with adhd, bi-polar disordr, mild shcitzo, and depression, they had me on all kinds of **** I got weak as hell mentally and a limp **** I smoked weed cause it made me happy to finally at 24 I am clear still sad alot angry I have few friends and also tense in social enviroments to the point of sweating. Me personally the thought of mental relief is sometimes overwhelming causing me to want drugs but I refuse to believe in being medicated the rest of my life instead I embrace the live hard die hard phylosiphy focus as best i can good luck man In your decision but remember great warriors and men who went before us nevr took meds

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
Dude wojo man I was diagnosed as a 17 year old with adhd, bi-polar disordr, mild shcitzo, and depression, they had me on all kinds of **** I got weak as hell mentally and a limp **** I smoked weed cause it made me happy to finally at 24 I am clear still sad alot angry I have few friends and also tense in social enviroments to the point of sweating. Me personally the thought of mental relief is sometimes overwhelming causing me to want drugs but I refuse to believe in being medicated the rest of my life instead I embrace the live hard die hard phylosiphy focus as best i can good luck man In your decision but remember great warriors and men who went before us nevr took meds

thanks man..i think lol..i lived my life up to now unhappy..the meds are nothing but a cructh as i go through therapy.i do not plan to be on them my whole life.i dont feel like gettting into a debate here and as far as great men go..it is all dust and illusion most of those so called great men where pricks is there own life.i decided to get help when i realized i was making people in my life,the ones that were there for me and still are, unhappy.

you guys can believe what u like i made a decision it may not be your decision,but it is working great for me.i appreciate all comments guys positive and negative.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
I have/had/whatever social anxiety. Took zoloft when I was a kid for a few months. I noticed it did make things better but came off it because I did not like how it made me feel (robotic.) For short term social anxiety nothing beats benzos but I don't think they prescribe them for that. All in all now I just have a few drinks and learn to realize that everything is OK... i still get panic attacks occasionally but it's better than being on the meds. i've learned to accept them, and once i do all is well.
RR

PS ... nervous about getting nervous... exactly. I get it if I travel, with people I don't know well, etc. I usually just say "I dont feel well" if it gets too bad and breathe through it. Goes away after a few mins of calming myself down. Whatever.
see im different i jsut withdraw.i could be sitting in the middle of a room full of people and lock myself away so i feel safe.where as when i am with people i am comfortable with i am the life of the party. its odd for me i go from a witty intelligent person mentally to a scared little boy around groups i am not familar with .then i constantly have people asking if im ok which makes it worst.god getting dates was the worst for me.i swear i forrest gumped my way through meeting women.lol

SupremeAlpha

SupremeAlpha

Awards
Wojo you make a great argument as I make everyone around me miserable too I am to headstrong anyway to think i need help. My greatest fear is that taking meds will kill my aggression and keep me from success and growth as a man. It is a dog eat dog world and i would rather be a ferocious prick than a passive kitty kat which is what I think meds will do to a man

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
Wojo you make a great argument as I make everyone around me miserable too I am to headstrong anyway to think i need help. My greatest fear is that taking meds will kill my aggression and keep me from success and growth as a man. It is a dog eat dog world and i would rather be a ferocious prick than a passive kitty kat which is what I think meds will do to a man
No kitty here man. I am taking a low dose. My friends have all said how much more personable I am. I used to be very confrontational. I am not a fan of meds as both zoloft and paxil yrs ago did nothing for me. I gave in at the pleads of my fiancé. I think at 30 my decision was a maturity thing where as years ago I had more growing up to do. Man I wish I made this decision years ago

SupremeAlpha

SupremeAlpha

Awards
No kitty here man. I am taking a low dose. My friends have all said how much more personable I am. I used to be very confrontational. I am not a fan of meds as both zoloft and paxil yrs ago did nothing for me. I gave in at the pleads of my fiancé. I think at 30 my decision was a maturity thing where as years ago I had more growing up to do. Man I wish I made this decision years ago
Really? cause i am the same way now with confrontation I freak out on people for no reason. And just plain depressed as hell and highly anti-social in general. Which effects all my relationships I'm only 24 I just wind up drinking myself retarded on occassions. I know it doesn't heal anything So what do you plan to do when you get off it from what I know it only masks the problem It will still be there after you get off it and i hear zoloft is a libido killer I don't know man I would like to be positive about it but like I said the thought of it scares me

SupremeAlpha

SupremeAlpha

Awards
And like you mentioned It is a maturity thing maybe I'll feel better about it in 6 years either way good on ya an good luck with it

Kc2554

Awards
Its all in ur head like you said, Suck it up.
I disagree with you. The anxiety is something physical that needs to be treated. One cannot understand if one has not experienced it.

1. The medication help your brain function physically as its supposed to, so you dont have to "Suck it up". Why should a person be so miserable all the time?
2. A good therapists is a guide to help you undue and/or change how you have been thinking for sooo long.

Its funny when I think about it...its actually harder and more work to try and seek help....not lazy and pointless...but the end result is much better than how I lived before.

Kc2554

Awards
Alpha,
I now understand a little where you are coming from. I had now idea people would have a fear of being less successful, but I think you misunderstand medication (SSRI, SSNRI, MAOI, etc) work. Yes, you MIGHT become less aggressive, BUT that does not mean you wont still be as, if not more, assertive...which is more important for achieving your goals

Really? cause i am the same way now with confrontation I freak out on people for no reason. And just plain depressed as hell and highly anti-social in general. Which effects all my relationships I'm only 24 I just wind up drinking myself retarded on occassions. I know it doesn't heal anything So what do you plan to do when you get off it from what I know it only masks the problem It will still be there after you get off it and i hear zoloft is a libido killer I don't know man I would like to be positive about it but like I said the thought of it scares me
Also, medications are a treatment. They dont mask, they help the brain "learn" a new way of thinking for the long run. Libido does go down, but in my case, no way so much that it really hindered my lifestyle or anything of the sort.

SupremeAlpha

SupremeAlpha

Awards
Alpha,
I now understand a little where you are coming from. I had now idea people would have a fear of being less successful, but I think you misunderstand medication (SSRI, SSNRI, MAOI, etc) work. Yes, you MIGHT become less aggressive, BUT that does not mean you wont still be as, if not more, assertive...which is more important for achieving your goals

Also, medications are a treatment. They dont mask, they help the brain "learn" a new way of thinking for the long run. Libido does go down, but in my case, no way so much that it really hindered my lifestyle or anything of the sort.
So your saying when or if you come off them you should have a heathier mindset

Kc2554

Awards
So your saying when or if you come off them you should have a heathier mindset
Yes.
I will quote my therapist "I have a unique role, in that I try my best to work myself out of a job. I try to help you, so that you do not need to see me anymore."

NOTE: I have tried medications where the cost/benefit ratio was not worth it. Here is advice to anyone; if you dont feel like the medication or therapy is working, you must speak up and change it up. Its a lot of work, but worth it in the end.

SupremeAlpha

SupremeAlpha

Awards
Yes.
I will quote my therapist "I have a unique role, in that I try my best to work myself out of a job. I try to help you, so that you do not need to see me anymore."

NOTE: I have tried medications where the cost/benefit ratio was not worth it. Here is advice to anyone; if you dont feel like the medication or therapy is working, you must speak up and change it up. Its a lot of work, but worth it in the end.
Thanks for your input I'll research it more and talk to more people about it before I make a decision. But I figure anything is better than where I am mentally it really is a daily struggle

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there any OTC supps that can help with this I have social anxiety aswell and posted a thread asking about natural and OTC supps and got quite a few responses and recomendations.. I would say try that before moving onto perscribed drugs

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Some people swear by 5-htp, but it never really helped me in this area.

Kc2554

Awards
I just ordered some Bacopa Monnieri from a different wbesite. There were a ton a positive reviews that impressed me. PM when, and I will send you the link....not sure if I can post it, since its a competitive website.

chaser103

Awards
f*ck all the drugs.

I had severe performance anxiety...its the same thing as social anxiety where the room closes up and your heart pounds really fast...like an intense adrenaline rush. I had to perform in front of large audiences for scholarship auditions..we are talking like 150,000 dollars for a 3 minute performance. I thought of taking anxiety meds but discovered beta-blockers.

Its called inderall.

I use it for speeches, meeting the parents, performances...anything where I am on the spot in front of people.

My anxiety is caused by me being afraid of getting nervous. If I start to get nervous I get more nervous about getting nervous and people knowing I'm nervous and my voice shakin etc.

Inderall is a simply small pill and all it does is block the flight or fight signal...this means you feel absolutely normal and when you start to think about getting anxious your stomach cannot turn over and you will not start shaking...you just feel flat out chill. Its amazing and no side effects.

If you barely swerve around a wreck in traffic, about 5 seconds later you will feel this huge shot of adrenaline to your stomach and youll start shaking as a reaction. If you are taking a beta-blocker, that shot will be much much smaller depending on the dosage. Your brain will recognize the situation the exact same, so its not mind altering, but the viscious cycle of shaking, shortness of breath, heart pounding in your ears CANNOT and WILL not occur. This allows you to conquer your fears. You can get upclose to your fears without experiencing the physical effects. Your mind will be able to adjust as its not altered by this medication. Then you can ween yourself off....I used these for a whole year and I havent touched them in a long time after weeing off.
I def. recommend this to people with panic attacks before taking actual mind altering meds.
How many mg were you taking at that time?

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I used to be the exact same way. My emotions were amplified and I was really edgy. I took Paxil and Zoloft years ago, never for more than 3 weeks. SSRI's are terrible for me and turned me away from considering medication for years. They work for some people, but Paxil made me feel so bad (physically and mentally) I can see why suicide is possible on it. Zoloft helped my mood, but destroyed my appetite and libido. They were both really bad experiences. And I know a lot of people with similar experiences.

My depression and anxiety always came in waves ever since I was in middle school. I recently went to a doctor in September because I had a prolonged bout of depression that I couldn't seem to kick. I was prescribed Mirtazapine and it is the best thing a doctor has ever done for me.

I don't believe the medicine is a mask for the problem, it allowed me the opportunity to manage or eradicate my problems in my opinion. It doesn't make my job any easier, get me caught up at work, or fix any of my problems. Over time, it has improved my mood, which has in turn, changed my attitude and how I feel about myself and the challenges I face. I no longer dread going to work. I see it as a challenge now. I used to have a lot of negative feelings. When I was younger, I couldn't see myself being able to accomplish things like college and I struggled because of that.

My job is easier because I am very confident in myself now. I know I can do anything in this life and I don't doubt myself anymore or say I can't do something. I am more social, but I am simply someone that likes my space. I am an introvert, and don't feel the need to constantly interact with people, but I enjoy being in the company of other people when they aren't annoying types. And I am definitely not afraid to talk to people if I want to. I am not shy anymore, or beat around the Bush about things.

I do plan to come off the mirzapatine soon, and when I do, I am confident that the improvements I have made will last. It has been a night and day difference for me. Our lives and our society is so fast paced and can be so stressful that I think life can be overwhelming at times, and I don't fault anyone for seeking help.

Lucky for me, Mirzapatine is mild and the only prolonged side effect was a good one, it increased my appetite. And it may be a good Prolactin and Cortisol blocker due to its mechanism of action.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/2835-mirtazapine-remeron-useful.html

My point is, I think that medication can help, but you have to be open to it and have a good outlook about it. It is impossible to do that if a drug makes you feel bad (for me, Paxil), but if you find something that works (for me, Mirzapatine), you can make great improvements in your life. For some people, seeing a therapist is all they need to sort things out, which is especially good for someone who is struggling with a traumatic or overwhelming experience.

e5cmb

e5cmb

Awards
My $.02.....I have had issues with OCD (obessive compulsive disorder) and depression since I was a child, yet I didn't realize it until I was officially diagnosed with it in my mid-twenties (am now 34) after an awful divorce with my wife on 9 yrs. Since then, I have researched and learned a lot about SSRIs and ant-depressants. I am currently taking both Zoloft and Xanax (Xanax as needed). Like some of the other posters, I have had issues with anger and aggression stemming from my childhood, growing up in a rough area and my time in the Marine Corps. It wasn't always a bad thing, but it did have it's downfalls. Now I truly believe it has made me a more confident and assertive person.

Once I started researching my symptoms, seeking some counseling and guidance from professionals, I realized that maybe I should try some medication. And trust me, I've always been the type to just "suck it up and deal with it" and stayed away from the simplest of meds.

After my time in the Corps, I spent several years as a cop, which didn't help with my social or trust issues. I always felt as though I had to look over my shoulder, felt as if someone was always staring at me....just some odd behavior and it plagued me.

Since getting out of law enforcement, a lot has changed for me for the better, although I am still on the medication for several reasons. SSRIs help the imbalance of chemicals in the brain that pass messages back and forth, which for me helps greatly with my OCD. The initial few weeks can kick you tail while starting the meds. I felt tired and rather emotionless at times, but I gradually starting feeling better and am now for the most part, back the the confident, trusting person I used to be.

And for the record, I have had counseling as well. The drugs are only there to assist. Their not a "cure all" and should not be abused or taken as such, but they do help.

Lastly, for those worried about losing there aggression and confidence as a Man.....I wouldn't give it another thought. It may be bread into me from my childhood or time as a Marine, but I'm as confident now at 34 as I was when I was a 19 yr old Marine who felt like he could accomplish anything he put his mind to.

Hope this helps with those wondering about SSRIs and meds. It's definitely something to take seriously. There's no point in living in misery and your not the only ones out there who feel the way you do. Get some help, seek some counseling and things will get better.

Hit me back in a private message if you have any questions. I am not an expert, but I've been through more "ups and downs" then most people do in there entire lifetime.

Godspeed!!

Clash40

Awards
Well,,,if this has to be where I post my first post then here it goes. Im 40,,retired police officer,,(several critical incidents,,accidents,,ER broken bones etc) I was diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety and so on. Living with it for 7 years now. I feel all your pain,,Time and understanding with a good base of people that can relate is the key. I have Xanax with me whereever I go just for safe keep,,having it makes me feel like I dont need it but if I had to its there,,strange mindset but it works. We hate to have cruches,,,I cant stand it but for me,,,exercising and family get me through it. Anyhow ,,,my 2 cents,,god bless,,

Oh and for the records,,,you guys have what I always wanted,,strong,,ripped and full of attitude,,,when I retired,, I gained 45 lbs,,IM only 5'10 but hit the 220 mark,,lost 40 lbs started cycling with my wife,,60 miles a week,,,just joined GOlds,,heading there in 5 minutes,,,and starting to get my life back,,,thanks for the inspiration

Erik

Kc2554

Awards
I would like everyone to know that I personally enjoy hearing everyone's testimonies.

e5cmb

e5cmb

Awards
Well,,,if this has to be where I post my first post then here it goes. Im 40,,retired police officer,,(several critical incidents,,accidents,,ER broken bones etc) I was diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety and so on. Living with it for 7 years now. I feel all your pain,,Time and understanding with a good base of people that can relate is the key. I have Xanax with me whereever I go just for safe keep,,having it makes me feel like I dont need it but if I had to its there,,strange mindset but it works. We hate to have cruches,,,I cant stand it but for me,,,exercising and family get me through it. Anyhow ,,,my 2 cents,,god bless,,

Oh and for the records,,,you guys have what I always wanted,,strong,,ripped and full of attitude,,,when I retired,, I gained 45 lbs,,IM only 5'10 but hit the 220 mark,,lost 40 lbs started cycling with my wife,,60 miles a week,,,just joined GOlds,,heading there in 5 minutes,,,and starting to get my life back,,,thanks for the inspiration

Erik
GRATS Brother!! Glad to hear that your life is changing for the better. Stay focused on the positive as much as you can and you'll continue feeling better and better.

Also, I bet it's nice to be cycling with your wife. My wife just joined my gym and we certainly enjoy working out together, even if we aren't doing the same things; it's just nice to be there with her and also help her out if she has questions and such.

Best of luck to you Bro!

Clash40

Awards
GRATS Brother!! Glad to hear that your life is changing for the better. Stay focused on the positive as much as you can and you'll continue feeling better and better.

Also, I bet it's nice to be cycling with your wife. My wife just joined my gym and we certainly enjoy working out together, even if we aren't doing the same things; it's just nice to be there with her and also help her out if she has questions and such.

Best of luck to you Bro!
Thanks brother! that means a lot,,,While at the gym i was thinking about this thread a little more and thought I might just throw another 2 cents in,,,remember anxiety is only irrational fear,,,nothing to worry about,,also,,,if your worried whether or not your going crazy,,dont be,,,,healthy minds worry about going crazy,,,crazy people dont worry about it because there already crazy,,,,,remember that,,,it'll calm you down :) All we have is a little too much adrenaline that enters our brains a little more than other people,,,

Anyhow hope this helps someone:)

Erik