Triamterene-HCTZ compared to Lisinopril

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Blood pressure has been running high lately and was prescribed by a doctor Triamterene-HCTZ. Interested in knowing how this compares to Lisinopril? Is it used for higher levels of blood pressure compared to starting out on something like Triamterene-HCTZ?

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
Blood pressure has been running high lately and was prescribed Triamterene-HCTZ. Interested in knowing how this compares to Lisinopril?
Nobody here can LEGALLY answer that question. Ask your local Pharmacist. I am a CPhT and could explain the difference to you, but if I did I would be breaking the law.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • Established
Blood pressure has been running high lately and was prescribed Triamterene-HCTZ. Interested in knowing how this compares to Lisinopril?
They have completely different pharmacological mechanisms of action working on different pathways to treat hypertension. Just curious why are you interested in comparing the two?

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Let me clarify...is Lisinopril (which a number of others on here mentioned they have been prescribed by their doctor for high blood pressure) considered a stronger or something used for higher levels of blood pressure?

I was prescribed Triamterene-HCTZ by my doctor which seems to be two diuretics. Is this typically something prescribed to a person with elevated blood pressure or tried initially, while the Lisinopril, might be prescribed by a doctor if Triamterene-HCTZ isn't effective or if someone's blood pressure is above an elevated level?

They have completely different pharmacological mechanisms of action working on different pathways to treat hypertension. Just curious why are you interested in comparing the two?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • Established
Let me clarify...is Lisinopril (which a number of others on here mentioned they have been prescribed by their doctor for high blood pressure) considered a stronger or something used for higher levels of blood pressure?

I was prescribed Triamterene-HCTZ by my doctor which seems to be two diuretics. Is this typically something prescribed to a person with elevated blood pressure or tried initially, while the Lisinopril, might be prescribed by a doctor if Triamterene-HCTZ isn't effective or if someone's blood pressure is above an elevated level?
This is the easiest way i think to sum it up. Each individual doctor has their own method/favorite way to approach hypertension control for really no specific reason in general. It's not that lisinopril is stronger per say, it just exhibits a completely different mechanism of action being an ace inhibitor in hypertension control. Thiazide diuretics are used by many physicians to control hypertension.....and HCTZ is very common to that effect. Give the Triamterene-HCTZ a try and see what you're results are. Like any medication, some work better than others for each given individual. Bloodpressure meds sometimes need adjusting and change. Your primary physician will decide that if need be.