OTC drugs for sleep

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
For the past 6 months I have been having a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep. I have always been kind of an anxious person... but I think it is catching up to me. I wake up with my sheets wet from sweating 2-4 times a week on avg. And I have a hard time just relaxing and not thinking about my upcoming day and so on when I go to bed. When I do get to sleep I usually wake up twice a night which makes it hard to feel rested. Anyway before I go into perscription drugs and seeing my doc about it I am curious as to whats out there that I can easily get that can help me out.

I have tried melatonin.. worked for maybe 4 days. I also picked up this natural sleep aid containing velarion root, passion flower, hops and some other stuff. Other products like Sleep EZ don't work for me and make me feel ****ty the next morning. I am curious about GABA... a friend said it works for him. Where I live however it is expensive as hell. But w/e, if you guys think it is good stuff i'll try it... it's worth the $.

If anyone has some knowledge on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Yagman

Yagman

Board Supporter
Awards
Phenibut and L-theanine are great relaxers.

I STRONGLY recommend you find a product called Liquid relaxation, it will knock you out.

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
L-Theanine is great. It sounds like you are thinking too much. L-Theanine takes the brain from beta (fast thoughts) to Alpha (calm meditative thoughts). It will help you calm down, and is used to elevate mood.

Also, I strongly recomend homeopathy, totally rid of the toughest insomnia, and it doesnt put you out. It helps correct your bodies own natural ability. Go to, abchomeopathy.com and find the right remedy.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Great, thanks guys. Yes my biggest problem is I think wayyyyyy to much.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing like screwed up sleep to mess your entire inner mechanisms up and to hose up your day.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Nothing like screwed up sleep to mess your entire inner mechanisms up and to hose up your day.
Tell me about it. Changing my sheets every other night is also a huge pain in the ass. :fool2:

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
a few things i did to help go improve quality of sleep and get to bed earlier in the night:

1. a couple hours before bed, avoid light as much as possible. be in a darker environment, so your brain starts producing these sleep chemicals.

2. do something relaxing, preferably not watching tv or being on the internet. i found anything with too much noise too close to bedtime may disrupt my sleep patterns. maybe read a book with dim lights on or listen to soothing music. as pussy as this sounds, if im not tired, a hot bath relaxes me and makes me sleepy.

3. only use your bed for sleep and sex. my brain has adapted to this behavior and realizes that when i lay in bed, its time to sleep.

4. if using stims, stop for awhile until you can regulate your sleep/wake pattern.

5. limit water intake around bedtime if you wake to use the restroom frequently.

i made these changes and the end result was much better sleep that correlated with an increased mood state and energy levels. recovery also improved, but gym performance stayed consistent. also, avoid napping for over 20 minutes and if you wish, a sun rising clock helps A LOT!

jagleaso

Awards
Take it from an insomniac... Ambien (CR) for the nights when you absolutely must sleep. I would never use that junk consistently.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
If you are looking for a product as opposed to a method, I would look into nuerobalance...

I personally am in love with the stuff.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I have tried sleep therapy where I had to attend a class where everyone sits together and talks about what causes them not to sleep well.... i'm not mocking this but it definately was not for me.. I could barely keep a straight face from some of the stuff that went on in there lol. It was straight out of a movie no joke.

Anyway I am going to give L-theamine a try and I have been reading up on NeuroBalance, it also looks solid. I hate to sound like a pussy but I may have an anxiety disorder... my g/f is pretty damn convinced I do that's for certain.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I appreciate it.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I have a mood disorder, according to an old schrink. It caused a lot of my sleep problems as well. Get it looked into. You'll be happier either way. Knowing you have a problem and getting meds to help, or knowing that your don't.

pyrotechnik

Awards
tryptophan is legal again, that should help relax you. its the most natural way to knock you out, but right now it is pretty expensive.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
a few things i did to help go improve quality of sleep and get to bed earlier in the night:

1. a couple hours before bed, avoid light as much as possible. be in a darker environment, so your brain starts producing these sleep chemicals.

2. do something relaxing, preferably not watching tv or being on the internet. i found anything with too much noise too close to bedtime may disrupt my sleep patterns. maybe read a book with dim lights on or listen to soothing music. as pussy as this sounds, if im not tired, a hot bath relaxes me and makes me sleepy.

3. only use your bed for sleep and sex. my brain has adapted to this behavior and realizes that when i lay in bed, its time to sleep.

4. if using stims, stop for awhile until you can regulate your sleep/wake pattern.

5. limit water intake around bedtime if you wake to use the restroom frequently.

i made these changes and the end result was much better sleep that correlated with an increased mood state and energy levels. recovery also improved, but gym performance stayed consistent. also, avoid napping for over 20 minutes and if you wish, a sun rising clock helps A LOT!
This Man knows what hes talking about

coolbreeze

Awards
Eden PM for insomnia

Eden PM sleep aid is amazing for knocking me out. Its the only product that has THP (tetrahydropalmitine) which seems to be the only thing besides GHB that will work for me:

http://sleep.kilohealth.com/

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
GABA is good **** too. Been using it for about a month and it does claim to be a GH potentiator. Even if that's bull****, it still helps me sleep and that makes it worth while for me.

TiredOldFart

Awards
For the past 6 months I have been having a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep. I have always been kind of an anxious person... but I think it is catching up to me. I wake up with my sheets wet from sweating 2-4 times a week on avg.

Well, it's not normal to wake up with soaked sheets. Before heaping home remedies on top of a problem, I think an underlying cause should be investigated. Illness can cause night sweats and you need the cause investigated professionally.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Well, it's not normal to wake up with soaked sheets. Before heaping home remedies on top of a problem, I think an underlying cause should be investigated. Illness can cause night sweats and you need the cause investigated professionally.
It's getting better now, I started reading before bed which helps me relax.

Nolva makes me sweat soooo bad. I need to shower 3 times to day just to feel clean. The worst part of a cycle for me is PCT, my hormones get all ****ed, I get hot flashes and girly mood swings. But hey, it's worth it.

Pharaoh7

Pharaoh7

Awards
Taking some magnesium before bed is great for sleep.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
GHB was huge for helping body builders sleep...but the negatiaves clearly outweigh the positives
I've gotta disagree with you there my friend. 100% disagree.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
Isn't Benadryl for allergies?
That is the primary use. Sleep induction is a nice secondary one... Got kids? LOL

Melatonin rotated with Ambien (not OTC) work great for me. Whenever I first take Melatonin after long periods off of it, I have CRAZY VIVID dreams on the borderline of nightmarish. However, when I scare myself awake at 5 am, I am wide awake!

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Yeah for me the effect of melatonin lasts a few weeks then dissipates really quick. GABA does not help me get to sleep but when I am sleeping it seems to keep me in a deep sleep. Dreaming means you are in REM sleep from what I know so that is a good thing.

Nyquil night time, even though for colds puts me to sleep in 5 minutes tops.

RoidGracie

2mg of Melatonin and 100 mg of 5-HTP and cut down on caffeine and other stimulants. Actually, quitting caffeine alone was like night and day, didn't need any sleep aid, but I'm back to drinking tea now.......I believe maybe this RLS and all these other sleep problems are nothing more than overuse of stimulants during the day.

Bum Mahoney

Bum Mahoney

Awards
I have had great success with Melatonin. I do 3mg and it gets my sleep back to a regular pattern. But the dreams are vivid and a side bonus. The sleep is solid and I haven't woken up groggy. I did not like Ambien at all. It knocked me out, but I would wake up four hours later and stuggle to get back to sleep. (I also have a mild mood disorder and occasionally get hypomanic, so I have had numerous prescriptions, Trazadone, Seroquel, Ambien, etc. Melatonin has provided FAR better results with no side effects that I have experienced).

LazeDragon

LazeDragon

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Not meaning to pump our own products but we developed Nocturnabol because we knew there was a need for good sleep aid. Check out the ingredient profile. I really like the product and take it quite often. Nice vivid dreams as well.

In a couple of weeks we'll have samples to give out (maybe sooner actually).

http://advancedmusclescience.com/products/nocturnabol#nogo

Just offering an alternate to consider.