Mmmmm... I love Kava

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

Mmmmm... I love Kava

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Just like a good beer buzz without the hangover... anyone else tried it? I'm not talking about the sh1tty extracts you can buy at hippie stores... I'm talking about the actual ground root. Go ask your Poly friends if you dont know what it is.

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.61%

Its not bad, I enjoy it with beer when I'm in Fiji.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Smile

One of my favorites!!! I use a Coco/banana Kava paste, a teaspoon a day keeps the blues away. It will also ease the pain of a harsh THC buzz!... a special occasion calls for a little pineapple juice combo
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.54%

I'm not quite understanding a few things here?

WTF would you want to ease a THC buzz? Isn't that the whole idea.

Also can someone shoot a link to pick up the type of kava described?
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

no prob bro..

Fresh Kava Kavalactone Root Powder from Hawaii

It seriously tastes like dirt (the potent stuff) without the graininess... but if you can down it, its a really nice way to relax... they also have a bunch of flavored kava too if you wanna go the mild route But you'd propably get the best effects from just the strait, plain kava root powder.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.71%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

And I'm happy to report that the American Botanical Council debunked the claims that Kava is harmful to the liver. It has some minor potential to do so but one must go Kava-crazy for years to achieve any harm.
  7. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.37%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    And I'm happy to report that the American Botanical Council debunked the claims that Kava is harmful to the liver. It has some minor potential to do so but one must go Kava-crazy for years to achieve any harm.
    If I recall, the liver problems were associated with extracts that contained parts of the whole plant (leaves, stems, etc.) and not just the root as it is traditionally consumed. Apparently, there were/are hepatoxic constituents in the plant which are at very high concentrations in other parts of the plant (besides the root).
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.71%

That's very likely though I hadn't heard that part. That makes buying from reputable suppliers all the more important.

LOTS of plants have have toxic portions.
  9. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.37%

Apparently the problem lays with Kava lactones which make up only 3-10% of the root but can be found in concentrations of 30-80% in other parts of the plant. Extracts using the whole plant contained high concentrations of kava lactones and people who either had a pre-existing weakness or who hit the anti-lottery got ill or died.

Dragull, K., Yoshida W.Y., Piperidine Alkaloids From Piper methystine, Phytochemistry, 63(2) 2003: 193-198

[5] Nerarkar, P.V., Dragull, K., In Vitro Toxicity of Kava Alkaloid, Piper methystine, in HepG2 cells as compared to Kavalactones, Toxicol Sci, 21, 2004
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.71%

It may be anecdotal, but if I take a strong extract of Kava for more than a few days..my tonsils get really inflamed. I've always used it sparingly because of that...but the buzz sounds interesting.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.4%

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wideguy View Post
    I'm not quite understanding a few things here?

WTF would you want to ease a THC buzz? Isn't that the whole idea.

Also can someone shoot a link to pick up the type of kava described?
    Okay sure , just like the quality and strength of any herbal extract will vary( kava, cissus,ephedra) so will (i'm told) the quality and strength of a THC extract vary. Sometimes the extract is stronger and the effects more pronounced than the user actually wanted. When this happens some people will use another agent such as alcohol or prescription meds to offset the imbalance. I am suggesting that Kava makes an excellent choice as the second agent.

Kona Kava is the best I have had... love the paste!!!

The root is fine. When the popularity of Kava increased a number of cheap supplement companies surfaced with discount Kava extracts, unfortunately they were cheaper because they used the whole plant not the root.

The leaves and stem do contain liver toxic material and should be avoided!
  12. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.54%

Pot that is too strong?

Alright...thank you for your response. So with the paste (where can I get it/ how do I make it) are the effects similar to an alcohol buzz or more like thc?
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.54%

Quote Originally Posted by yeahright View Post
    If I recall, the liver problems were associated with extracts that contained parts of the whole plant (leaves, stems, etc.) and not just the root as it is traditionally consumed. Apparently, there were/are hepatoxic constituents in the plant which are at very high concentrations in other parts of the plant (besides the root).
    Bingo. The demand for kava grew so much in Europe, and the Europeans discovered that the leaves and stems have higher concentrations of kavalactones. They didn't listen to the natives, who won't touch those parts and throw them away. THey bought that waste for cheap, and made high concentration extracts. Obviously, most liver failure was in Europe, only two cases in the US.

I buy mine from a local Fijian market. LOVE IT!!!!
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

Thats exactly what I read... Glad to hear that it has been debunked
  15. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.52%

i heard the paste was good but never tried it.how do u take it? just pop a pea sized amount or do mix it with something? if im driving when i head out with friends i wont even touch a beer so this sounds like a good alt for to least loosen up a bit more when i drive
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    i heard the paste was good but never tried it.how do u take it? just pop a pea sized amount or do mix it with something? if im driving when i head out with friends i wont even touch a beer so this sounds like a good alt for to least loosen up a bit more when i drive
    Just don't drink too much... there has actually been 1 case of some guy getting pulled over and being issued "driving under the influence" as funny as that might sound... I don't know if this guy was a super lightweight or what, but it can f$#k you up if you drink alot if you are sensitive to it... you'll just have to gauge your reaction to it... to answer your question though, I've only tried the drink from the powdered root... sorry
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.54%

A good dose of Kava can equal a couple beers as far as disorientation or lack of coordination. I've done two heaping tablespoons of powder, followed by a beer...

It says not to do that for a reason.
  18. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.89%

Quote Originally Posted by swoody View Post
    no prob bro..

Fresh Kava Kavalactone Root Powder from Hawaii

It seriously tastes like dirt (the potent stuff) without the graininess... but if you can down it, its a really nice way to relax... they also have a bunch of flavored kava too if you wanna go the mild route But you'd propably get the best effects from just the strait, plain kava root powder.
    If you order something like the 8 oz kava drink mix, how many servings will that usually last? I looked around the site, i dunno if i missed it or what. Thanks
  19. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.37%

You can get a DUI in my state for driving under influence of kava. It was on the news last year when some guy got pulled over after some type of polynesian celebration he'd attended.
  20. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.52%

oh well there goes that idea
  21. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.4%

Quote Originally Posted by warnerve View Post
    If you order something like the 8 oz kava drink mix, how many servings will that usually last? I looked around the site, i dunno if i missed it or what. Thanks
    You really have to determine your own tolerance. Just start by sipping and when you get where you need to be...enjoy!

I find that KAVA initially comes on like a stimulant, it makes my thoughts clear and sharp, then slowly I become more relaxed
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.19%

You can get a DUI in my state for driving under influence of kava. It was on the news last year when some guy got pulled over after some type of polynesian celebration he'd attended.
    Was it Kava or Mescalin

I was thinking about it lately to alleviate some of my chron. pain and the resulting depressions, either one or both of it.

As I remeber correctly the hype was like, some with severe liver-damage and very old people died from kava, so the bad rep. but ther eshouldn´t be any problems I think, when used cautiously and informed(>as with all of the well known drugs).
  23. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.56%

Dirty Dozen anyone?
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

Quote Originally Posted by Fastflight View Post
    Was it Kava or Mescalin

I was thinking about it lately to alleviate some of my chron. pain and the resulting depressions, either one or both of it.

As I remeber correctly the hype was like, some with severe liver-damage and very old people died from kava, so the bad rep. but ther eshouldn´t be any problems I think, when used cautiously and informed(>as with all of the well known drugs).
    The liver toxicity myth has been pretty much debunked... see some of the above posts.
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.79%

I am knocked out even if i take a little bit of Kava. I have such a messed up reaction to it. Its like GHB for me lol
  26. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.89%

Quote Originally Posted by anabolicrhino View Post
    You really have to determine your own tolerance. Just start by sipping and when you get where you need to be...enjoy!

I find that KAVA initially comes on like a stimulant, it makes my thoughts clear and sharp, then slowly I become more relaxed
    Awesome, thanks. I am ordering some tonight, will let everyone know how it goes. What do u guys think is the best kind to get? I.E. the tea, capsules, or just regular powder?
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

Awesome, thanks. I am ordering some tonight, will let everyone know how it goes. What do u guys think is the best kind to get? I.E. the tea, capsules, or just regular powder?
    Regular powder. You can make it into the tea using the traditional way the south pacific islanders make it. I usually use 6 tablespoons in a bag and add it to 24 oz of water... its good enough for two servings for me, and it will knock you on your ass if you want it strong... If you want the best effects, go with what tastes the sh1ttiest... at least that is what I've found out with most things when I am going for the effect...
  28. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.89%

Nice, thanks for the help swoody. Have u tried those gelcaps they show on there?
  29. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.89%

Apparently the problem lays with Kava lactones which make up only 3-10% of the root but can be found in concentrations of 30-80% in other parts of the plant. Extracts using the whole plant contained high concentrations of kava lactones and people who either had a pre-existing weakness or who hit the anti-lottery got ill or died.

Dragull, K., Yoshida W.Y., Piperidine Alkaloids From Piper methystine, Phytochemistry, 63(2) 2003: 193-198

[5] Nerarkar, P.V., Dragull, K., In Vitro Toxicity of Kava Alkaloid, Piper methystine, in HepG2 cells as compared to Kavalactones, Toxicol Sci, 21, 2004
    Ahh, so I do not want the exxtracts and drinks that promote being high in kava lactone percentages? Good thing I caught this, they make it seem like it's desirable
  30. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.52%

im going to try the paste.i read up on it.i dont feel like going through extracting.
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

Nice, thanks for the help swoody. Have u tried those gelcaps they show on there?
    I haven't tried the gel caps they sell... but I don't think I will. I get my kava powder from a local retailer... it just seems that when I drink it it comes on a little quicker and I can feel a stronger effect... it "hits me" more. I tried capsules from my local retailer, and didn't get as much as an effect, propably because the gelcap has to disolve in my stomach and as it disolves the kava is released more slowly into my bloodstream... you can try the capsules from the website though... chances are they are alot higher quality than the caps I tried... let me know how it goes if you take the gel cap route...
  32. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

im going to try the paste.i read up on it.i dont feel like going through extracting.
    Let us know how it goes...
  33. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.89%

I ended up getting the straight Kona Kava Mahakea Root powder and the kava concentrate, as a lot of people said the same thing you did about the caps being no good. I also read that I apparently have to do some sort of process to extract from the root powder, shoulda read more before I ordered it. ugh
  34. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.52%

yea im going with the root now..they sell a bag to strain it..from what i read u take 2 tablespoons bleed it with 16oz of water..strain it and drink
  35. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.49%

For anyone that has used Kava: how would you compare the effects to a nice dose of phenibut?
  36. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

Quote Originally Posted by newequation View Post
    For anyone that has used Kava: how would you compare the effects to a nice dose of phenibut?
    It would... not QUITE as strong, but it is similar... I acutally like it better considering that phenibut gives you a WICKED hangover and kava does not...
  37. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.49%

yea im going with the root now..they sell a bag to strain it..from what i read u take 2 tablespoons bleed it with 16oz of water..strain it and drink
    Add one more tablespoon... you'll get a better effect When you strain it, just kneed it until the milky substance is all out of the bag, and it will start to take on a gritty consistancy (not the actual drink, just the contents of the bag)... if you strain all the water out of the bag and it is somewhat dry inside, so all that is left is the root you are done...
  38. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.89%

I got my kava in the mail today. Just took a serving of the banana coconut extract stuff. Will report back later. Tastes pretty good actually, the tongue tingling thing is kinda cool.
  39. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.89%

Ok, so last night i did ~2 and 1/2 servings of the concentrated extract. Would def consider it comparable to a mild alcohol buzz, without any sort of hangover. I would say I also felt less disoriented than alcohol would make me feel. I would def recommend this to anyone looking for such a product. I am gonna try toying around with the dosages some more later on this week and let everyone know how it goes, probably gonna mix it with MRM relax all too.
  40. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.5%

Anybody else ever have palpatations off of Kava Kava? Never had any other sides from it, but last time i took it i got an irregular heartbeat.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Those Detour Bars you Love So Much
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 10:13 PM
  2. I just bought some EAS Simply Whey and love it!
    By windwords7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-04-2003, 08:18 PM
  3. O/T I love being a guy...
    By jweave23 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-13-2002, 08:05 PM
  4. love them pudding
    By sage in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-22-2002, 11:27 PM
  5. WW7's tatoo's! I love my ink!