Mmmmm... I love Kava

Page 1 of 8 1236 ... Last
  1. Registered User

Mmmmm... I love Kava

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Just like a good beer buzz without the hangover... anyone else tried it? I'm not talking about the sh1tty extracts you can buy at hippie stores... I'm talking about the actual ground root. Go ask your Poly friends if you dont know what it is.

2. Registered User

Its not bad, I enjoy it with beer when I'm in Fiji.
  3. Running with the Big Boys

Smile

One of my favorites!!! I use a Coco/banana Kava paste, a teaspoon a day keeps the blues away. It will also ease the pain of a harsh THC buzz!... a special occasion calls for a little pineapple juice combo
    •   

4. Board Supporter

I'm not quite understanding a few things here?

WTF would you want to ease a THC buzz? Isn't that the whole idea.

Also can someone shoot a link to pick up the type of kava described?
  5. Registered User

no prob bro..

Fresh Kava Kavalactone Root Powder from Hawaii

It seriously tastes like dirt (the potent stuff) without the graininess... but if you can down it, its a really nice way to relax... they also have a bunch of flavored kava too if you wanna go the mild route But you'd propably get the best effects from just the strait, plain kava root powder.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

And I'm happy to report that the American Botanical Council debunked the claims that Kava is harmful to the liver. It has some minor potential to do so but one must go Kava-crazy for years to achieve any harm.
  7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    And I'm happy to report that the American Botanical Council debunked the claims that Kava is harmful to the liver. It has some minor potential to do so but one must go Kava-crazy for years to achieve any harm.
    If I recall, the liver problems were associated with extracts that contained parts of the whole plant (leaves, stems, etc.) and not just the root as it is traditionally consumed. Apparently, there were/are hepatoxic constituents in the plant which are at very high concentrations in other parts of the plant (besides the root).
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

That's very likely though I hadn't heard that part. That makes buying from reputable suppliers all the more important.

LOTS of plants have have toxic portions.
  9. Registered User

Apparently the problem lays with Kava lactones which make up only 3-10% of the root but can be found in concentrations of 30-80% in other parts of the plant. Extracts using the whole plant contained high concentrations of kava lactones and people who either had a pre-existing weakness or who hit the anti-lottery got ill or died.

Dragull, K., Yoshida W.Y., Piperidine Alkaloids From Piper methystine, Phytochemistry, 63(2) 2003: 193-198

[5] Nerarkar, P.V., Dragull, K., In Vitro Toxicity of Kava Alkaloid, Piper methystine, in HepG2 cells as compared to Kavalactones, Toxicol Sci, 21, 2004
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

It may be anecdotal, but if I take a strong extract of Kava for more than a few days..my tonsils get really inflamed. I've always used it sparingly because of that...but the buzz sounds interesting.
  11. Running with the Big Boys

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wideguy View Post
    I'm not quite understanding a few things here?

WTF would you want to ease a THC buzz? Isn't that the whole idea.

Also can someone shoot a link to pick up the type of kava described?
    Okay sure , just like the quality and strength of any herbal extract will vary( kava, cissus,ephedra) so will (i'm told) the quality and strength of a THC extract vary. Sometimes the extract is stronger and the effects more pronounced than the user actually wanted. When this happens some people will use another agent such as alcohol or prescription meds to offset the imbalance. I am suggesting that Kava makes an excellent choice as the second agent.

Kona Kava is the best I have had... love the paste!!!

The root is fine. When the popularity of Kava increased a number of cheap supplement companies surfaced with discount Kava extracts, unfortunately they were cheaper because they used the whole plant not the root.

The leaves and stem do contain liver toxic material and should be avoided!
  12. Board Supporter

Pot that is too strong?

Alright...thank you for your response. So with the paste (where can I get it/ how do I make it) are the effects similar to an alcohol buzz or more like thc?
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahright View Post
    If I recall, the liver problems were associated with extracts that contained parts of the whole plant (leaves, stems, etc.) and not just the root as it is traditionally consumed. Apparently, there were/are hepatoxic constituents in the plant which are at very high concentrations in other parts of the plant (besides the root).
    Bingo. The demand for kava grew so much in Europe, and the Europeans discovered that the leaves and stems have higher concentrations of kavalactones. They didn't listen to the natives, who won't touch those parts and throw them away. THey bought that waste for cheap, and made high concentration extracts. Obviously, most liver failure was in Europe, only two cases in the US.

I buy mine from a local Fijian market. LOVE IT!!!!
  14. Registered User

Thats exactly what I read... Glad to hear that it has been debunked
  15. Gold Member

i heard the paste was good but never tried it.how do u take it? just pop a pea sized amount or do mix it with something? if im driving when i head out with friends i wont even touch a beer so this sounds like a good alt for to least loosen up a bit more when i drive
  16. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    i heard the paste was good but never tried it.how do u take it? just pop a pea sized amount or do mix it with something? if im driving when i head out with friends i wont even touch a beer so this sounds like a good alt for to least loosen up a bit more when i drive
    Just don't drink too much... there has actually been 1 case of some guy getting pulled over and being issued "driving under the influence" as funny as that might sound... I don't know if this guy was a super lightweight or what, but it can f$#k you up if you drink alot if you are sensitive to it... you'll just have to gauge your reaction to it... to answer your question though, I've only tried the drink from the powdered root... sorry
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

A good dose of Kava can equal a couple beers as far as disorientation or lack of coordination. I've done two heaping tablespoons of powder, followed by a beer...

It says not to do that for a reason.
  18. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swoody View Post
    no prob bro..

Fresh Kava Kavalactone Root Powder from Hawaii

It seriously tastes like dirt (the potent stuff) without the graininess... but if you can down it, its a really nice way to relax... they also have a bunch of flavored kava too if you wanna go the mild route But you'd propably get the best effects from just the strait, plain kava root powder.
    If you order something like the 8 oz kava drink mix, how many servings will that usually last? I looked around the site, i dunno if i missed it or what. Thanks
  19. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    You can get a DUI in my state for driving under influence of kava. It was on the news last year when some guy got pulled over after some type of polynesian celebration he'd attended.
  20. Gold Member

oh well there goes that idea
  21. Running with the Big Boys

Quote Originally Posted by warnerve View Post
    If you order something like the 8 oz kava drink mix, how many servings will that usually last? I looked around the site, i dunno if i missed it or what. Thanks
    You really have to determine your own tolerance. Just start by sipping and when you get where you need to be...enjoy!

I find that KAVA initially comes on like a stimulant, it makes my thoughts clear and sharp, then slowly I become more relaxed
  22. Registered User

You can get a DUI in my state for driving under influence of kava. It was on the news last year when some guy got pulled over after some type of polynesian celebration he'd attended.
    Was it Kava or Mescalin

I was thinking about it lately to alleviate some of my chron. pain and the resulting depressions, either one or both of it.

As I remeber correctly the hype was like, some with severe liver-damage and very old people died from kava, so the bad rep. but ther eshouldn´t be any problems I think, when used cautiously and informed(>as with all of the well known drugs).
  23. Banned

Dirty Dozen anyone?
  24. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastflight View Post
    Was it Kava or Mescalin

I was thinking about it lately to alleviate some of my chron. pain and the resulting depressions, either one or both of it.

As I remeber correctly the hype was like, some with severe liver-damage and very old people died from kava, so the bad rep. but ther eshouldn´t be any problems I think, when used cautiously and informed(>as with all of the well known drugs).
    The liver toxicity myth has been pretty much debunked... see some of the above posts.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  114 lbs.

I am knocked out even if i take a little bit of Kava. I have such a messed up reaction to it. Its like GHB for me lol
  26. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by anabolicrhino View Post
    You really have to determine your own tolerance. Just start by sipping and when you get where you need to be...enjoy!

I find that KAVA initially comes on like a stimulant, it makes my thoughts clear and sharp, then slowly I become more relaxed
    Awesome, thanks. I am ordering some tonight, will let everyone know how it goes. What do u guys think is the best kind to get? I.E. the tea, capsules, or just regular powder?
  27. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by warnerve View Post
    Awesome, thanks. I am ordering some tonight, will let everyone know how it goes. What do u guys think is the best kind to get? I.E. the tea, capsules, or just regular powder?
    Regular powder. You can make it into the tea using the traditional way the south pacific islanders make it. I usually use 6 tablespoons in a bag and add it to 24 oz of water... its good enough for two servings for me, and it will knock you on your ass if you want it strong... If you want the best effects, go with what tastes the sh1ttiest... at least that is what I've found out with most things when I am going for the effect...
  28. Registered User

Nice, thanks for the help swoody. Have u tried those gelcaps they show on there?
  29. Registered User

Apparently the problem lays with Kava lactones which make up only 3-10% of the root but can be found in concentrations of 30-80% in other parts of the plant. Extracts using the whole plant contained high concentrations of kava lactones and people who either had a pre-existing weakness or who hit the anti-lottery got ill or died.

Dragull, K., Yoshida W.Y., Piperidine Alkaloids From Piper methystine, Phytochemistry, 63(2) 2003: 193-198

[5] Nerarkar, P.V., Dragull, K., In Vitro Toxicity of Kava Alkaloid, Piper methystine, in HepG2 cells as compared to Kavalactones, Toxicol Sci, 21, 2004
    Ahh, so I do not want the exxtracts and drinks that promote being high in kava lactone percentages? Good thing I caught this, they make it seem like it's desirable
  30. Gold Member

im going to try the paste.i read up on it.i dont feel like going through extracting.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Those Detour Bars you Love So Much
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 08:13 PM
  2. I just bought some EAS Simply Whey and love it!
    By windwords7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-04-2003, 06:18 PM
  3. O/T I love being a guy...
    By jweave23 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-13-2002, 06:05 PM
  4. love them pudding
    By sage in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-22-2002, 09:27 PM
  5. WW7's tatoo's! I love my ink!