ashwagandha/ bacopa/ rhodolia and Birth Control

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Any reasons why ashwagandha, bacopa minnieri, or rhodolia should lessen the effects of the birth control pill?

My lady has agreed to take them, but is concerned because her Birth Control says herbal supps may lessen the effects of the pill.

And if it is ok to take together, anyexplanations why it is completely safe so I can explain it to her thoroughly?

Thanks guys.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
I believe that only St. John's Wort has been identified as potentially interfering. The disclaimer usually pertains to St. John's Wort.

"Eight cases reported to the Medical Products Agency of Sweden suggest that St. John’s wort may interact with oral contraceptives and cause intramenstrual bleeding and/or changes in menstrual bleeding.1 One reviewer has suggested that St. John’s wort may reduce serum levels of estradiol.2 It should be noted, however, that only three of the eight Swedish women returned to normal menstrual cycles after stopping St. John’s wort. Women taking oral contraceptives for birth control should consult with their doctor before taking St. John’s wort."

1. Safety of St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) [letters to the editor from various authors]. Lancet 2000;355:575–7.
2. Ernst E. Second thoughts about safety of St. John’s wort [letter]. Lancet 1999;354:2014–6.

bulls**t

bulls**t

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro.

Thats what I was thinking, shouldnt make a difference, unrelated mechanisms of action.