Info on Gabapentin

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
The doc prescribed gabapentin for my father to use as a sleep aid. Specifically (i would assume) as an anti anxiety/mood relaxer because he has alot of trouble with waking up multiple times during the night.

Now my question is how closely related is gabapentin to gaba, or gabatropin, or even just phenibut powder?

Is that something he could take and see similar results that he does with gabapentin? Or is the gabapentin just much more effective, and hence the need for a prescription?

Thanks for any info you guys might have.

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
Ive never used gabapentin as a sleep aid, but I can tell you that it is wonderful for pain control. I found it to be better than morphine after a while on both, to be honest.

Jason

M

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, thank you for the first hand info bro

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
Interesting, thank you for the first hand info bro
I honestly think it was down regulation of the opiod receptor. Most of my pain was due to nerve regeneration. Neurontin is what the docs give amputees to help combat phantom limb pain. I would definitely look into something else forst, but I do feel the gabapentin was important to me for pain control.

Jason

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
I honestly think it was down regulation of the opiod receptor. Most of my pain was due to nerve regeneration. Neurontin is what the docs give amputees to help combat phantom limb pain. I would definitely look into something else forst, but I do feel the gabapentin was important to me for pain control.

Jason
Jason, are you an amputee by any chance?

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for the thread hijack!

Jason, are you an amputee by any chance?
Im not an amputee, but Im disabled enough physically to be rated as 50% disabled by the military(If you know how hard that is). Ive got an arm that has less than 90 degrees range of motion, and 0 degrees of pronation or supination. It also has a major vagus and valgus defecit. You can see the vagus(IIRC) defecit in this photo. My arm in that pic is as close to locked out as I can get it, and yes, the forearm hangs like that. Bear with me, this pic is from March, and I was horrendously out of shape!:burger: :pizza: :hot: :donut: :burg:

Jason

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Um, ouch!! What happened man?

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
Some Taliban ******* caught me when I wasn't ready for it.

Jason

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for your bad luck man. But thanks. What exactly, if I may ask did that... explosion, shrapnel, etc...

Also, was any of your lower body hit?

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for your bad luck man. But thanks. What exactly, if I may ask did that... explosion, shrapnel, etc...

Also, was any of your lower body hit?
Both the explosion and shrapnel did that. No real damage other than that, I was in an up armored humvee. A bit of shrapnel in the face, and a broken helmet, but other than that, nothing.

Jason

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Both the explosion and shrapnel did that. No real damage other than that, I was in an up armored humvee. A bit of shrapnel in the face, and a broken helmet, but other than that, nothing.

Jason
(Welcome to AM.com, heres your first hazing!!)

Are you doing cardio now? You said your legs were FINE!!!!

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
gabapentin is used to treat patients with trigeminal neuralgia (painful firing of nerves) and epilepsy. i dont know how close it is to regular GABA but both of them have a calming affect on the neurosecretory system.

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
gabapentin is used to treat patients with trigeminal neuralgia (painful firing of nerves) and epilepsy. i dont know how close it is to regular GABA but both of them have a calming affect on the neurosecretory system.
Thats why it worked so well for me!

Jason

B

BruFan

Awards
Now my question is how closely related is gabapentin to gaba, or gabatropin, or even just phenibut powder?
According to Braverman in "the Edge Effect" gabapentin is "essentially made from GABA and Inositol".

The doctor is considering off-label gabapentin for my wife's chronic TMJ pain if her new Cissus/Klonopin cocktail doesn't do the trick. (She's been seeing improvements with just the Cissus that I put her on, the Doctor thought Klonopin would be a nice compliment. ;))

B

BruFan

Awards
Ive never used gabapentin as a sleep aid, but I can tell you that it is wonderful for pain control. I found it to be better than morphine after a while on both, to be honest.

Jason
Jason, if you don't mind.. do you remember how much you were taking, and how often? I assume with that nasty looking injury you'd be up towards the higer-end compared to what my wife would need... but I'm looking at some sources that say that for gabapentin to be effective some have to go as high as almost 5 grams per day.

B

BIGAINS

Awards
phenibut works very well as a sleep aid. It is the only thing that gets me to sleep and allows me to stay asleep all night when I am on tren.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
I was under the impression that gabapentin was related to GHB.

D

DobermanXXL

Awards
its kind of an interesting drug because it's used for so many things and has lots of off-label uses like treating depression, etc. I'm in the medical field and have mainly seen it used for nerve type pain like neuropathy, shingles, etc. and for seizures

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A gram of Gaba mixed with a few grams of L-Glutamine work fine, when needed for sleep.

J

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
gabap is the bomb imo.i stay away from synthetics in general,especially ones that have the potential to cause such dramatic changes in brain chem.but gabap i have come to find is just a wonderful positive exception.at least for me...no rebound effects the next day.no withdraw symptoms of any sort even after a week+ of solid use
doesnt drug u out.hard to explain,at least for me.its more like the absence of any anxiety or inhibition.and i mean that in a positive balanced sane way,not as in ya just drank yourself half to death with alcohol sort of deal.
i honestly dont know how anyone can afford the pharmy tabs though with how they are priced.especially for any sort of higher dosing.
i noticed nice tangible effects as low as 100-200mg
at 600mg am and pm thats just real nice.not over the top,just real balanced.
highest i have gone is 600 3 times a day spaced out.THAT was different,definately felt that!

whitedevil74

whitedevil74

Awards
  • Established
The doc prescribed gabapentin for my father to use as a sleep aid. Specifically (i would assume) as an anti anxiety/mood relaxer because he has alot of trouble with waking up multiple times during the night.

Is that something he could take and see similar results that he does with gabapentin? Or is the gabapentin just much more effective, and hence the need for a prescription?

Thanks for any info you guys might have.
I know quite a bit about Gabapentin as I am involved in a lawsuit with Pfizer over this drug. Gabapentin also know as neurontin only has FDA approval for neuropathic pain related to PHN (postherpetic neuralgia) and for adjunctive therapy for seizures. All other uses for gabapentin are made strictly off label and according to their own in house studies are not effective for much of anything. In the late 90, early 2000's Parke Davis and Pfizere made a huge push with doctors (free samples, dinners, trips) to encourage the prescription of neurontin for several off label uses and your father is the lucky recipient of these efforts. Honestly it will probably not hurt him, but it probably will not due much either.

JAYBOILC277

JAYBOILC277

Awards
Way Off Dosages People!

GABAPENTIN FOR ALL OF YOU WHO THINK THIS DRUG IS SO GREAT AND POWERFUL . LET ME A REGULAR USER OF THIS FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS GIVE U A CLUE YEA IT WILL DULL WHAT ACHES YOU AND AS I'VE PERSONALITY HAVE FELT IT MESSES WITH YOUR HEAD BIG TIME IF YOU HAVE ANY MENTAL ISSUES WATCH IT. THIS STUFF WILL ENHANCE THOSE FEELINGS. MANY A TIME OVER JUST LIKE HIGH DOSES OF TEST.MANY A TIMES I'VE FELT LIKE TAKING MY ANGER AND DEPRESSION OUT ON THE WORLD BUT BEING A FATHER HAS LENT ME TO CHECK AND RECHECK ALL MY ACTIONS . MY GUESS IS IT WAS THE GABA MESSING WITH MY BRAIN CHEMISTRY SOMEWHAT.
What I've been reading along and a lot of you people have the wrong idea or no idea about the hidden dangers within this pill Neurontin is one of them drugs that will sneak up on you if your using it as say a sleep aid or to dual mild pain. I see how the Man in the Military (jason) would have major issues with his arm and even shoulder cause that type of pain radiates up and along the nerve root. As I've felt in the past the drug will dull hell even lesson the pain signals from your limps to the trunk of your body. As for the dosages . I've been seeing a certified Pain manage Doctor whom has me on a dosage of 600 MG three times a day. not 5mg or mixing with other natural drugs . This is one drug I wouldn't take a chance with due to the brain chemistry changing side effects.

Last edited:
JAYBOILC277

JAYBOILC277

Awards
I Know Ur Pain Man!

Some Taliban ******* caught me when I wasn't ready for it.

Jason
NOT TO SAY I KNOW 100% WHAT UR DEALING WITH BUT I'VE BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD AND KNOW ALL IT'S TWIST AND TURNS MYSELF FIRST HAND. THAT GABA IS SOME DEADLY STUFF. I HOPE THE VA IS SENDING YOU TO A CERTIFIED PAIN MANGEMENT DOCTOR CAUSE THEY HAVE NEW AND BETTER WAYS TO DEAL WITH DISABLING PAIN. JAY