Do anti-anxiety type meds lower cortisol? - AnabolicMinds.com

Do anti-anxiety type meds lower cortisol?

  1. New Member
    rkretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    58
    Rep Power
    162

    Reputation

    Do anti-anxiety type meds lower cortisol?


    Ive been using supplements to try and lower cortisol and they seem to help with stress etc. like designer supplements lean xtreme but im also taking klonopin and have taken xanax. Do these type of medications also lower cortisol levels? I read somewhere about some antidepresents doing this. If anyone knows about cortisol lowering meds let me know it seems to help sleep.

  2. New Member
    masternutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    108

    Reputation

    ask


    Quote Originally Posted by rkretz
    Ive been using supplements to try and lower cortisol and they seem to help with stress etc. like designer supplements lean xtreme but im also taking klonopin and have taken xanax. Do these type of medications also lower cortisol levels? I read somewhere about some antidepresents doing this. If anyone knows about cortisol lowering meds let me know it seems to help sleep.
    Ask your doctor.
  3. Elite Member
    DR.D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    307852

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by rkretz
    Ive been using supplements to try and lower cortisol and they seem to help with stress etc. like designer supplements lean xtreme but im also taking klonopin and have taken xanax. Do these type of medications also lower cortisol levels? I read somewhere about some antidepresents doing this. If anyone knows about cortisol lowering meds let me know it seems to help sleep.
    Yes, but not all antidepressants lower cortisol. Specifically, benzodiazepines do. The effect is seen in all benzos (like Klonopin, Xanax,Valium) but most pronounced with lorazepam (Ativan).
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    masternutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    108

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    Yes, but not all antidepressants lower cortisol. Specifically, benzodiazepines do. The effect is seen in all benzos (like Klonopin, Xanax,Valium) but most pronounced with lorazepam (Ativan).
    So it sounds like you think that benzodiazepines are antidepressants? Well my doctor tells me that these drugs actually cause depression. They can use them for high anxiety problems, but a a person suffering from depression probably would be wise to avoid them.
  5. Elite Member
    DR.D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    307852

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by masternutt
    So it sounds like you think that benzodiazepines are antidepressants? Well my doctor tells me that these drugs actually cause depression. They can use them for high anxiety problems, but a a person suffering from depression probably would be wise to avoid them.
    It depends. They are technically anxiolytics, so they will depress/sedate a normal person but act as great anti-depressants for those with anxiety based depression. Obviously because the root of their despair and depression is the constant anxiety! So yes, you are right that they are technically 'depressants' that act on the reticular activation system of the CNS to reduce input from environmental stimuli, but it's not quite that black and white to say they are depressants per say. It depends on the person and the application.
  6. New Member
    masternutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    108

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    It depends. They are technically anxiolytics, so they will depress/sedate a normal person but act as great anti-depressants for those with anxiety based depression. Obviously because the root of their despair and depression is the constant anxiety! So yes, you are right that they are technically 'depressants' that act on the reticular activation system of the CNS to reduce input from environmental stimuli, but it's not quite that black and white to say they are depressants per say. It depends on the person and the application.
    Interesting, thankyou.
    Are you a real doctor?
  7. Elite Member
    DR.D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    307852

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by masternutt
    Interesting, thankyou.
    Are you a real doctor?
    Anytime my friend. I find this kind of stuff very interesting too. And no I'm not a real doctor, just a long time patient.
  8. Registered User
    RedwolfWV's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    1986

    Reputation

    Hey Dr. D. Do you think PEA would work to reduce cortisol?
  9. Elite Member
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,977
    Rep Power
    969164

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV
    Hey Dr. D. Do you think PEA would work to reduce cortisol?
    Subscribed (just bought some bulk PEA at NP).
  10. Elite Member
    DR.D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    307852

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by RedwolfWV
    Hey Dr. D. Do you think PEA would work to reduce cortisol?
    Hmmm.. I doubt it, probably just the opposite, but I'm not totally sure. I know branched PEA's like amphetamine and meth elevate corisol levels quite a bit and I'd guess PEA itself would also to some lesser degree.
  11. Registered User
    RedwolfWV's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,258
    Rep Power
    1986

    Reputation

    Interesting. I don't think I'll be using it much then
  12. Advanced Member
    Dr Liftalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    10909

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    Anytime my friend. I find this kind of stuff very interesting too. And no I'm not a real doctor, just a long time patient.

    Not to highjack the thread, but i have a question for you Dr D, Whats your take on Provigil as a smart drug?
  13. Elite Member
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,977
    Rep Power
    969164

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    Hmmm.. I doubt it, probably just the opposite, but I'm not totally sure. I know branched PEA's like amphetamine and meth elevate corisol levels quite a bit and I'd guess PEA itself would also to some lesser degree.
    D'oh. Not the response that I was hoping for. I could have sworn that I have seen PEA used in fat burners or thermogenic blends.
  14. Elite Member
    DR.D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    307852

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Liftalot
    Not to highjack the thread, but i have a question for you Dr D, Whats your take on Provigil as a smart drug?
    I've never used it. Some tell me it works great and some say they didn't like the sides (like headache) so I really can't say. The molecule is funky looking too so I have no gut feeling based on it's structure. I know it takes fairly high doses like 100-200mg. It's worth a shot if you can get some.
  15. Elite Member
    DR.D's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,779
    Rep Power
    307852

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by stxnas
    D'oh. Not the response that I was hoping for. I could have sworn that I have seen PEA used in fat burners or thermogenic blends.

    Yes, it is a fat burner it's true. It's an adrenergic with mostly alpha receptor properties, so it's a better appetite suppressant that a true fat burner, but it is thermogenic so you are correct. I was only talking about it's possible ability to elevate cortisol. Amphetamine is a potent cortisol booster too, but also a real good fat burner nonetheless! Probably the same with PEA.
  16. Advanced Member
    Dr Liftalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    10909

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    I've never used it. Some tell me it works great and some say they didn't like the sides (like headache) so I really can't say. The molecule is funky looking too so I have no gut feeling based on it's structure. I know it takes fairly high doses like 100-200mg. It's worth a shot if you can get some.

    I got some, and my insurence didnt want to pay for it, so i told them i was tired all the time. (which is always true because i work graveyard)

    Anyways i thought stuff did wonders, i took it with MJ and ritalin and wrote this insane movie script. Defintly India style, so we'll see where that takes me.

    Also caution, when taken with Mj, i turned pale white and i'm brown of natural color.

    Just a FYI
  17. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,789
    Rep Power
    11678

    Reputation

    Jesus, we are definately a culture of recreational drug users in the bb field.
  18. Advanced Member
    Dr Liftalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    10909

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Jesus, we are definately a culture of recreational drug users in the bb field.
  19. Registered User
    CHAPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,380
    Rep Power
    2867

    Reputation

    I like lorazepam i used to use a ton of that stuff for bad anxiety based depression, i could have a fullout panic attack then pop 1mg and in a matter of minutes be cool and calm, it kicks ass. BUT their can be an annoying hangover effect if used to help you sleep, but i believe that's because it boosts GH levels, Paul Borreson wrote about that before. I can DEFINITELY see that stuff lowering cortisol levels, it mellows you out like you wouldn't believe. It's a god send for people who suffer from anxiety and it can completely reverse the effects of stimulants as well. I had a panic attack on Lipo-6 back in the day because i was stupid enough to use it while suffering from nasty anxiety and i popped some lorazepam and bam, i was fine and i didn't feel any stimulant effects anymore.
  20. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,789
    Rep Power
    11678

    Reputation

    I was getting panic attacks and realized it was from overuse of stims I got prescribed anti-anxiety pills and stopped all supplements and then was fine...go figure
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Anti Anxiety Meds and Diselbolan 2.0
    By Keepitreel in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM
  2. Happiness, the key to lower cortisol levels, health
    By LakeMountD in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 03:19 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 02:33 PM
  4. lowering cortisol? what ways..
    By LakeMountD in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-18-2003, 10:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in