Big Toenail Infection??

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.24%

Big Toenail Infection??

Hi All,

I have this problem I noticed only lately, when I was trimming my nails.

My left big toenail and left-hand pointing fingernail looks like infected, but doesn't smell.

The rest of my toenails and fingernails look normal and healthy.

Is this a sign that I have a hidden health problem?

If it is fungus or infection, why coincides both left big toenail and left-hand pointing fingernail?

Anybody here has similar problem?

Need some good advices and probably also what to supplement my diet.

Thanks.

Faustus

2. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.98%

Could you describe what they actually look like. "look infected" doesn't say much. If it is a toenail fungus, it could be spread from toe to toe or finger with your clippers. If you only have two nails infected (and it really is a toenail fungus) there are some home remedies that are supposed to work well. If it spreads to all of your toes, it will be hard to treat without getting a prescription for lamisil (very expensive stuff). Most of the home remedies involve vick's vaporrub by itself or after a soak in vinegar (don't know for how long though). Until you know whats going on for sure, isolate the affected nails... ie, don't use your nail clippers on those nails and then on the nonaffected nails. Fingernail infections are much rarer, and I would imagine that is both because your feet or always in a more humid enviroment, and don't get the same amount of constant washing etc. that the hands do. just a guess though.

Most if not all of the OTC fungus treatments do not work on nail fungus.

Also, any nail treatment that does work will still take a few months to show, so don't expect immediate results (however if successful you will be avoiding further infection of other nails during that whole time).

TSC
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.14%

Quote Originally Posted by faustus
    Hi All,
    I have this problem I noticed only lately, when I was trimming my nails.My left big toenail and left-hand pointing fingernail looks like infected, but doesn't smell.The rest of my toenails and fingernails look normal and healthy.Is this a sign that I have a hidden health problem?If it is fungus or infection, why coincides both left big toenail and left-hand pointing fingernail?Anybody here has similar problem?Need some good advices and probably also what to supplement my diet.

Thanks.

Faustus
    Your description leaves alot to be desired. Does it hurt to the touch ? is the skin on the side of the nail red or painful? It could be a ingrown toenail. and he reason for being on both left foot and hand could be due to poor nail cutting technique.
    •   

4. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.4%

I have a wicked painful big toe from the nail being too short from me ripping it off! The pus has subsided today.

Epsom salt can work magic on feet.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.24%

The more I look at it, the weirder it seems.

I don't think it's toenail infection/fungus.

No pus, no pain, just that both the left-hand pointing fingernail and big toenail is corroding, all the rest all a ok.

Do you guys think it's spells of a health problem instead?

Read somewhere in chinese medicine, bigtoe's meridian is related to kidney function.

Any other speculations you guys might have?

Let me noe.

Thanks again.

Faustus
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.35%
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.67%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by faustus

No pus, no pain, just that both the left-hand pointing fingernail and big toenail is corroding, all the rest all a ok.
    Faustus
    From what you describe here it sounds like a fungal infection imo, but would be hard to tell without actually visualizing it. There are plenty of otc products to try, if it doesn't clear up see your doc about possible oral medication intervention.
  8. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Go to a beauty supply store, they have some nail fungus products there, its like 12 bucks or so. That stuff can spread anywhere, always clean your clippers in alcohol after every use, and DONT pick your toenails. If it is discolored at all, black, to light greenish thats fungus. SOme people who cut there nails to short ask for trouble because it can let germs in under the nail bed.

If you can go to the doctor He may prescribe you a product, that your insurance will cover. The pill forms take months and months to work though and very costly.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.24%

Seems like all are pointing at fungus infection.

Thanks guys.

Faustus
  10. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.98%

In you buy any otc products, make sure to read the labels. A few show nails on the box but CLEARLY state in ultrafine print that they don't work on nail fungus at all. Fungicure is one that comes to mind.

just found the following thread on Mindandmuscle.net that covers some easy to do treatments and a good otc product suggested by 'Trouble.' worth a read.

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/forum/i...howtopic=24013

TSC
  11. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.08%
    Achievements Posting Pro

If its pretty bad goto ur doc and get some Sporanox 100mg tabs pop 2 a day for a week than repeat in 3 weeks. Stuff isn't cheap hope u have good insurance!
  12. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.06%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Another case of AIDS...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Toenail infection fungus
    By chainsaw in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
  2. Replies: 14