supps that might help with MS

Bering C

Bering C

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the title says it. I have a good friend who has MS and am wondering what supps might be out there to help with the symptoms of MS He has lost about 25 lbs and would like to gain some strength and endurance back any suggestions would be interesting.

Bering C

Bering C

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks I passed these on to him. we'll see what happens and I'll post anything of relevance.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
September 22, 2006

Niacinamide could protect MS patients

The September 20, 2006 issue of the Journal of Neuroscience published the finding of researchers at Children's Hospital Boston that a form of vitamin B3 known as nicotinamide or niacinamide may help protect against nerve damage that occurs in the chronic progressive phase of multiple sclerosis, which is the phase in which most serious disabilities develop and for which there has not yet been found an effective treatment. The vitamin acts as a precursor to nicotinamide adenine dinucelotide (NAD) a compound used by the cells in the production of energy from carbohydrates.

For the current study, research fellow Shinjiro Kaneko, MD and colleagues used mice with experimental autoimmune encephalitis, which is similar to multiple sclerosis in humans. They found that giving daily subcutaneous nicotinamide injections delayed the onset and severity of neurologic disability compared to control animals. Higher doses of the vitamin were associated with a greater benefit.

The treatment protected nerve fibers called axons from inflammation and loss of their myelin covering. The vitamin even helped prevent the further degradation of fibers that had already lost their protective myelin sheath, and was found to be effective when administered after the induction of experimental autoimmune encephalitis, although early administration was more beneficial.

The team discovered that nicotinamide works by increasing NAD in the spinal cord. While mice with the greatest neurologic deficits were found to have the lowest spinal cord levels of NAD, those with the least deficits had the highest levels. Giving NAD directly to the animals also prevented axon degeneration.

"We hope that our work will initiate a clinical trial, and that nicotinamide could be used in real patients," Dr Kaneko stated. "In the early phase of MS, anti-inflammatory drugs may work, but long-term you need to protect against axonal damage."

THE GREATEST

I'm Hungry
Awards
I agree with NTV. I think igf-1 would probably be the most effective.

the Cardinal

Awards
the title says it. I have a good friend who has MS and am wondering what supps might be out there to help with the symptoms of MS He has lost about 25 lbs and would like to gain some strength and endurance back any suggestions would be interesting.[/QUOTE/]

2000 IUs of Vitamin D in 2 divided doses daily can't hurt. There is some pretty interesting research that suggests Vitamin D may reduce the risk of acquiring MS. Whether it would help with symptoms after the fact hasn't been established, but since it's cheap and has other health benefits as well, I figure it's worth a shot. At the very least, it would be beneficial - in combination with calcium - in combatting the risks associated with bone and skeletal muscle wasting.

Entrez PubMed

Vitamin D May Prevent MS