Seroquel?

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
Anyone have any personal experience and or knowledge of this medication?

I had never heard of it prior to my being prescribed it today and the list of sides on webMd has me leary to say the least.

Any input of any kind, including supplement interactions and possible alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

AFOX

Awards
If there is anyway at all to avoid using this drug I would advise you to do so. I was on that, along with an anti depresent for about a year. I was given it to help me stay asleep at night. When that stuff would kick in I felt like crap. Dizzy and very short of breath. If you do end up taking it, go right to bed after taking it. If you don't mind me asking, what are you being perscribed this for?

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
Thanks for the reply

I've been prescribed it for sleeplessness/mania(bp). And yeah I won't be taking this **** unless absolutely neccessary. I took one friday night and it knocked my ass out. 15 hours straight sleep.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
I was given a 200mg tablet to help me sleep a couple of months ago and it completely floored me. What really sucked was when I woke up(10hrs later) I was still slurring my speech and completely off balance. I will never take this stuff again.

slappyclaus

Awards
I've been on it a few weeks now and all I want to do is sleep and eat. I was trying to taper up on the dose but I am throwing in the towel on this drug. I was better off without it.

tutorhelp07

Awards
My wife is on Seroquel and it has really helped her....

srfchsr

Awards
My gf takes 25mg for sleep (I take them sometimes too) and I think they are great. I don't know about higher doses, but take one 25mg at about 10pm and when I wake up at 6:30 I'm totally rested and not groggy.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
This is not a sleeping pill! It is a pychotropic used to treat bipolar and schizophrenia.

srfchsr

Awards
It is often prescribed in low doses, off label, as an non adictive sleep aid.

check out:

forbes.com/sciencesandmedicine/2004/09/08/cx_mh_0908seroquel.html

srfchsr

Awards
For BP and schizophrenia doses are usually in the 200-800 mg 1-2x ED.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
"By using Seroquel, insomnia may be relieved, but it is important to be aware of the potential adverse side effects of taking this medication. Seroquel has been proven to cause Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS), Tartive Dyskenesia, Hyperglycemia, and Type 2 Diabetes in some users. These are all potentially fatal, irreversible and difficult to treat. Seroquel is heavily processed in the liver, and may have adverse effects on hepatatic functioning." :run:

BigFatBastard

Awards
I took it for years for "supposed" bipolar. I quite so it wouldn't interact with others. Now, I experience narcolepsy. Therefore, don't take this is you don't need to.

tlow4u

Awards
I was prescribed 25mg for sleep. Works great, wake up refreshed and rested. No noticable sides.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Medications of this sort are only half of the cure. A person being prescribed these needs to see a therapist also. Anyone taking these meds should be seeing a Psychiatrist or Psychologist regularly!

akp2004

Awards
If you havent already tried it, I would go with Trazadone 25mg to 75mg a night first. It's easy to find the right dose.

Stacked with USP's new REM sleep product, and you should be able to get some nice rest.

With Trazadone, it actually improves sleep architecture.

With USP's, they are saying it does - but I'm going on faith so far - havent seen the studies. My anecdoetal experience says it's true - i'm better rested and feel more refreshed.

If you're currently using an antidepressant, and still having sleep probs, you may consider Remeron/mirtzapirine. I found 30mg night, worked nicely w/ SR Wellbutrin 250mg. The Wellbutrin helped keep me awake during the day.

However, I'm off the drugs after a few years thru chronic pain management, and definitely like being without the Remeron/Wellbutrin if you dont need it!

Hope that helps

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
I would steer Well clear of this if you can help it. Being a severe insomniac, I can tell you it will floor you, but the health risks were too much for me to deal with.

Jason

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ask the doc about Ambien if you're having insomnia issues and aren't troubled with BP or any other psychotic type behavior :)

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
I used Ambien for over a year straight. It worked very well, but the binging at night was a mother! I thinkk my PR for calorie intake at 1 night was over 12,000!!!

Jason

Catshmat

Awards
Has fewer side effects than most other antipsychotics (including new-generation/atypical). Doses above 200mg are best saved for schizophrenic patients. For mania, look into lamotrogine. For sleeplessness, something that is indicated for insomnia. If your problem is falling asleep, Sonata may be right. If staying asleep is your prob, then ambien or lunesta (try to get some of those lovely free samples). Agomelatine is a new one that I am interested in.

Still, for many bp folks, a 200mg dose is helpful for both of the problems you described. Watch for td and other movement problems. Though more rare with new antipsychotics, such symptoms persist even after the drug has been discontinued.

Is there anything else (psychoactive) that you are taking?

Have you tried behavioral techniques (don't eat/ drink before bed, avoid caffeine, use bed only when sleeping, turn lights down low towards the evening, dont watch tv right before bed). Getting very little sleep can trigger mania. While hypomania is a very pleasurable experience, it leads to full blown mania, which is destructive and disrupting.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I took Seroquel for the first time last night. I took 25mgs at 10pm. I woke up around 5pm today.

I missed a LOT of the tasks I was supposed to get done today...never again.

Jason Pegg

Jason Pegg

Awards
  • Established
Dsade, you should've read this thread prior to :) I tried to say that this stuff is badddddddddd for you!

Jason

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Advise me, Oh Jason of the Wise Ways...I prostrate myself to your experience and vast drugginess.

stevesliwa

stevesliwa

Banned
Awards
I took Seroquel for the first time last night. I took 25mgs at 10pm. I woke up around 5pm today.

I missed a LOT of the tasks I was supposed to get done today...never again.
Yeah the antihistamine effects hit some people pretty hard. I've tried 50-600 mg as needed without any problems. This is not something to take daily.

benjiman

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i have been geting emails about a law suit if you have ever taken seeroquel you can get money things just going to let you guys know maybe b.s. i don't know

Synicus

Awards
I take 400 mg a day for bi polar. No problems as of yet.
Wow that's pretty steep dose. I would be fvcked up as hell at that dose. The effects are very similar to Benzos. I'd be walkin round like a drunk motherfvcker at 400mg. I take it when I got it for sleep. At 1st 25-50mg will knock me out, I end up going up to 100-200mg after a while. I like it alot more than Benzos, similar effect but not bad withdrawals.

stevesliwa

stevesliwa

Banned
Awards
i have been geting emails about a law suit if you have ever taken seeroquel you can get money things just going to let you guys know maybe b.s. i don't know
Well if you don't bother to read the side effects before taking it then there you go.

testotony

Awards
Seroquel

I am Bi-Polar with borderline schitzofrania. I take seroquel 100mg with BREAKFAST. 100MG around 2PM and 400MG at bed with a sleeping pill. If you really are Bi-Polar with real MANIA this is a wonder drug that would make me feel close to "normal" without it I would be in jail, instatution or most likely DEAD.

I have my bad days but i normally function pretty good with this drug. If your not very ill like me this drug will make you feel like you got hit by a truck.

Also the dose is raised gradually. I started at 50mg at bed in a psych. hospital. Over a ten day period I was raised to 200mg at bed and 25mg at breakfast and noon.

I gradually over several years moved up to the dose I am at now plus I take several other mood stabalizers.

So to the original poster, if you are bi-polar.....Mania can destroy your life. Listen to your doctor, see a therapyst and do not take advice from "normal People" that are experimenting with this drug for sleep.

Please excuse my spelling.

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards
Wow that's pretty steep dose. I would be ****ed up as hell at that dose. The effects are very similar to Benzos. I'd be walkin round like a drunk mother****er at 400mg. I take it when I got it for sleep. At 1st 25-50mg will knock me out, I end up going up to 100-200mg after a while. I like it alot more than Benzos, similar effect but not bad withdrawals.
I would stay away from this drug.Someone posted that it's not addictive.Bullshit.It's very addictive.I know someone that was taking 700mg for bipolar and ran out of the med and got very sick.So yes you can get physically addicted to this drug.There's also bad side effects.Weight gain,violent mood swings......do I have to go on?

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
do not take trazedone.. i was using this medication for sleep for no longer then a week.. i was waking up 5 times a night with the hardest erections ever.. they actually hurt.. they would not go away.. this was unusual for me.. i looked up some common side effects and priotism(erection lasting longer then 4 hours) is one of the most common.. on something like 18% of people who expierence this need surgery to correct this problems.. i consider myself very lucky that i didnt need surgery to correct this and luckily everything has returned back to normal.. i loved this medicine it worked better then any other sleep medicaiton i have tried.. although the risks are just not worth it.. seroquel is a drug that works wonders for some people.. it is sometimes presrcibed to people who are going throuhg opiate withdrawls to help them sleep.. the first time i took seroquel i thought i was legitimately going to die.. i took 200mg and wasnt sure that if i went to sleep i would ever wake up.. i slept like a baby that nioght once i finally passed out

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
Being a major insomniac (can't fall asleep & can't stay asleep), having RLS and apnea I have tried most of the different scripts out there. Both the primary sleep meds as well as things like Seroquel that are used but not primarily for sleep. i didn't get anything out of it. I honestly don't remember the starting dosage (below theraputic for the schizo etc) and we doubled the dosage and still no response. I am a major non-responder though on just about everything we have tried or it stops working after a few weeks/months.

That being said i also didn't have any side effects on it either.

testotony

Awards
Disturbed

Disturbed you are saying that you know someone that had problems with this drug. I too have heard the horror stories. But, as you know everybodys chemistry is different. This is a wonder drug for me that helps drastically with my mood swings. Weight gain is a good thing for me so its not a side effect.

The reason people gain weight is because it effects your blood sugar levels and sadly can cause diabetes.

paint2100

Awards
I take 400mg of seroquel for major depression w/ psychotic features and this drug has been a godsend for me. But everyones different.

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
i was given 200 mg 4x a day for a week, worst week of my life. Was given to me as an anti-psychotic...awful ****, basically rather than teaching you to cope w/ anger and violence it's their way of shutting you down so your a zombie sleeping at random times...i wouldnt ever go above 100mg for any reason

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
i liked the calming effects but i just couldnt beat the drowsiness, my face was actually droopy all the time like i was shot w/ a tranq

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I would stay away from this drug.Someone posted that it's not addictive.Bullshit.It's very addictive.I know someone that was taking 700mg for bipolar and ran out of the med and got very sick.So yes you can get physically addicted to this drug.There's also bad side effects.Weight gain,violent mood swings......do I have to go on?
They got sick because they did not titrate the drug. This is their problem, not the drug's. 700mg is next to the highest dosages prescribed and like any other anti psychotic, you can't just quit cold turkey. Doctors usually have patients come down 100mg at a time over several months. It is not designed to take at high dosages whenever. When patients are first prescribed Seroquel they start at 25mg then go 50, 100, 200, etc. This is why people have problems with the drug. It is very powerful and people often take it in the wrong manner. I know a few people who have used the drug with great success and none of them have had any of the adverse side effects. The diabetes thing is why the drug is usually prescribed for less than a year.

scourgeoseas

Awards
it gave a friend of mine permanent 'tweaker shakes' -- tardive dyskinesia is NOT fun. Once I had one on accident and I woke up 20 hours later. I was unable to think straight (juggle variables for mental math) or feel right (strange anxiety replaced all other emotions) for days. N.B.: I do not have a medical condition that requires this substance nor would I ever choose to ingest it. I am a chronic insomniac but no medication has ever proven to help me in the long run. Sleeping pills tend to have a powerful rebound effect on my biological clock.

dexterford

Awards
Someone who is Bipolar needs their medications, they're not addicted to them.

Seroquel is a great sleep-aid. non-addictive, no hangover. Just find the right dosage for you. I take 25 mg a night.

shell36

Awards
I am prescribed 600 mg a night, before bed, for Bipolar. I actually don't take that much anymore. I have lowered the dose down, to 150 to 300. I did this by cutting back about 50 mg a month with no problems. I wish I didn't have to take it, but before I started it I was never able to sleep right in my life. I could stay up 20 hours straight with no caffeine! I finally had enough and went to a doc and told her that I was exercising 2-4 hours a day with the hopes of being able to fall asleep that night, and maybe get 4-5 hours of sleep. I guess it has something to due with a serotonin depletion in the brain caused by a chemical imbalance. The people who said they took seroquel and slept 15 or more hours probably don't need it. When I was taking 600, I would go to bed and wake up exactly 8 hours later, feeling refreshed and ready to climb mountains.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
It seems to me like the idea is to eat a balance before you exercise and rehydrate as necessary according to how you feel. Much simpler than I thought before. Thanks for posting the studies.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
I obtained a few 300 mg pills of them and crushed them. When I take 25mg for sleep, they totally knock me out. I do things like turn my alarm clock off and fall back to sleep.

If you're tripping on mushrooms, LSD or something like 2ce and you want to trip to end, they work well for that too.

ezyryder08

Awards
This is a serious medication. I took it once when I was younger hopeing to get a "high" off of it. I would never take it again all it make you do is want to sleep. If it works for you go for it but I would be cautious with this one

RippedAnimal

Awards
I was put on this medication back in july of '08 as well as an anti-depressant. the seroquel was mainly for my "insomnia." My doctor started me off at 50mgs which is the average dose for most people (50-100mg) but for some reason I don't respond to it and now I am at 350mgs every night. Everyone I seem to tell the dose to looks at me like i am crazy but i really do need that high of a dose for it to be effective, doesnt make sense :confused:

ken25

ken25

Awards
Seroquel and p-plex

Ive been on seroquel (100mg) for about 2 months now for mania/bipolar. Best thing to happen to my life for as long as I can remember! Has anyone taken a ph with this drug before? I am trying to research as much as possible before I dive in. I don't want a negative interaction with the two. I also take prozac at 40mg/day and have taken mdrol with that drug without any problems.
Any feedback on this? I don't want posts of how old are you, etc. I am looking at this probably about six months from now. This will be my third ph cycle. But my first since the start of seroquel.
I may just have to get rid of my pplex if I find too many negative things about the two interacting. Screw those online lawyer sites too. I have read a lot of them. By the look of it, the economy sucks and everyone needs to make money somehow. Thanks for your input.

Mattinde520

Awards
I was on seroquel for a year for schizophrenia and was the best antipsychotic that worked for me. After a year I quit cold turkey ( up to 800 mg 1 400 morn, 1 at night ) and to my surprise BOOM! I felt 100% better without it. Went through a gnarly week of withdrawals w/ flu like symptoms and acheness but it's over now. Def. got me through the toughest times of my schizo & eliminated the suicidal thoughts. It's hella expensive so I've switched to herbs like Relora, holy basil, st johns wort, tyrosine, a multi, fish oil, diim, and cycles of Erase. Be careful with anti psyches; psychiatrists won't hesitate to prescribe you an ever increasing concoction of meds. Doin fine now Btw, still have symptoms but it's part of my life and doesn't bother me nearly like it used to.

Mattinde520

Awards
Ive been on seroquel (100mg) for about 2 months now for mania/bipolar. Best thing to happen to my life for as long as I can remember! Has anyone taken a ph with this drug before? I am trying to research as much as possible before I dive in. I don't want a negative interaction with the two. I also take prozac at 40mg/day and have taken mdrol with that drug without any problems.
Any feedback on this? I don't want posts of how old are you, etc. I am looking at this probably about six months from now. This will be my third ph cycle. But my first since the start of seroquel.
I may just have to get rid of my pplex if I find too many negative things about the two interacting. Screw those online lawyer sites too. I have read a lot of them. By the look of it, the economy sucks and everyone needs to make money somehow. Thanks for your input.
o ya and ken25, don't you experience lethargy and lack of motivation with your condition? If you don't that's great! but if you do why even go down the PH route? I think eating more and lifting heavier w/ less reps would be a better alternative because If you suppress your natty t and don't pct correctly, low t & psychotic problems are a recipe for guaranteed hell on earth. Just my .02 cents

mylo

mylo

Awards
Anyone have any personal experience and or knowledge of this medication?

I had never heard of it prior to my being prescribed it today and the list of sides on webMd has me leary to say the least.

Any input of any kind, including supplement interactions and possible alternatives would be greatly appreciated.
it's an antipsychotic. it's no good if you're going to be lifting. i'd advise to stay clear of it unless you're psychotic and legitimately need it prescribed. it's used off label as a sleep in which case i'd rather use melatonin.

it'll up your glucose levels, make you gain some fat, make you feel like a zombie, and one hell of a dysphoric drug.

don't take it... even if you're psychotic i'd go with abilify or something a little more side effect friendly.

it also causes gyno....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 6
Anabolics 18