Closest Equivalent to Drysol?

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am looking for something to help with hyperhidrosis. What is the closest equivalent to prescription drysol (aluminum chloride 20%) that you have found effective to limit excess sweating (face and head mainly)? TIA

-Cardinal

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to know as well.....im a sweaty beast I tell ya!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm.....hyperhydrosis, eh? Me thinks I'm victim to this as well.... bump.

cobra1414

Awards
somethin called 'certain-dri'

you can order drysol from canada too, no biggie

size

Awards
  • Established
I suffer from rather severe hyperhydrosis and it is not fun.
I am not sure as to what you could use for face or head treatment. There is a form of "shock therapy" that you can use to treat hands, armpits, etc but I am not sure if it is available for the head.

This could be our official hyperhydrosis complaint thread since only people who suffer from it know how uncomfortable it is.

massmonster

Awards
  • Established
somethin called 'certain-dri'

you can order drysol from canada too, no biggie
Ya, certain-dri is what I was thinking of. Its not for your head or face thought. Most likely would create some nasty red irritation or at least uncomfortable dry skin.

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
someone should pick up research drysol and sell it..... ibe..

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
What kind of surgery? Sweat gland removal!

Yup. I highly recommend it. They administer a local, a small incision in each armpit, and then about a half hour of agressive scraping in each armpit. Total cost was $1000. If you consider botox is $600-$700 and only lasts about six months, the payback is in less than a year. The downside is that you are pretty sore for about a week and can’t workout for two weeks. While It probably reduced sweat volume by about 80%, I still use Maxim every night to stay completely dry. Its not a bad way to go if you suffer from moderate/sever hyperhydrosis.

THE GREATEST

I'm Hungry
Awards
I had had hyperhydrosis of the whole body pretty much and got surgery (I believe it was called a parasympathectomy, or somehting like that), It made a huge difference with the hands, face, pits, and feet, however, it made me sweat more form my back and chest (it's called compensatory sweating). All in all though it was worth the money. By the way I tried drysol with very little results and I heard the shock thing is snake oil. Botox is the only other treatment I know that works. As far as systemic sweating you can try anti-cholinergics (usually used for bladder control problems) to decrease total body sweat but it will make you over heat if your not careful like DR. D said.

DobermanXXL

Awards
I have it in my hands I believe, but it only occurs when I'm nervous.

The closest legal remedy to Drysol is MAXIM (12.5% Aluminum Chloride). Do a google search. This works well for me.

My dermatologist refuses botox injections in the hands due to weakening of the hand muscles as a side effect.

Good luck.

powerlifter6920

I had a doctor prescribe drysol for me, wasn't that big of deal. Is your doc telling you he won't get it for ya? It worked great, but was kinda irratating. The only time I really would use it was when I was on cycle and sweating my ass off.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Dunno, the most powerfull thing I've used was Drysol. Haven't used that stuff in over 10 years though. :) For some weird reason, deodrant works better for me in general than anti-persperant. I'm guessing deodrant just lets the sweat evaporate, while anti-p tries to stop it until it beads into a drop and breaks through like a dam.

But as posted above somewhere, Drysol is OTC in Canada, so take a trip. :run: Pick up some 2% Nizoral while you're at it...and our special prep H...and red Smarties...

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
my dr will not write a script for it any more because it ends up changing DNA as it seeps into skin.. or something...

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
my dr will not write a script for it any more because it ends up changing DNA as it seeps into skin.. or something...
There's a reason why I haven't used the stuff in over 10 years. It's just not healthy for you anyway you look at it.

I would never recommend using it unless it's for "extreme situational circumstances", such as having to give a speech in front of everyone with a white shirt and your arms raised most of the time. But never for any daily use. It's linked to Alzheimers too I think....can't remember...

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Aluminum acts strange in the body. Mostly a long term risk of increased neurotoxicity like Sunder points out. I certainly would not put AlCl3 on my body on purpose. It's so reactive with water that is should be kept in a special explosion proof storage vessel, and only used in a vented hood. I've taken the lid off of a bottle of it and watched it start smoking instantly just from exposure to small amounts of atmospheric moisture. Throw a pinch in some water and you have fireworks! It's even worse than phosphorus pentoxide. 12.5% sounds like a very high concentration to me. I have to side with your doc on this one. There's gotta be a better way.