anyone else have asthma and use advair exp muscle loss?

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I have asthma. It's usually very controllable, but during these very hot/humid days, I like ot play it safe and use the steroid (catabolic) advair diskus. I use it twice/day and then if I have an asthma attack, I'll use my albuterol inhaler....normally though, I don';t ever use it because the advair does such a great job...

SO, since I've been using advair, I've noticed that I've been losing strength/size like crazy. And hte thing is, that I just got done with a cut, and now I'm starting to eat maintenance cals again, but for some reason I'm losing muscle. My diet is spot on and everyhting so I know htat it's not that...training is too...the only other thing that I've been doing differnet is including the advair..

I remember watchi ng the commercial for advair and it saying that some may exp longer times to recover after surgery, etc....but thought that it was just them covering their ass, like all co. do...and I never really thought that it would make this much of a difference...but now I'm starting to think otherwise....any help here fellas? Thx

jvangard

Awards
The glucocorticoid you are referring to is fluticasone, and just like any other cortisol like drug, it can cause catabolism.

Ask your doctor about Singulair. It is non-steriodal, doesn't contain a beta agonist, yet works surprisingly well. My wife has severe spring asthma and found it worked just as well as Advair. You have to start taking it before allergy season though, since it seems to take about a week to take effect.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
The glucocorticoid you are referring to is fluticasone, and just like any other cortisol like drug, it can cause catabolism.

Ask your doctor about Singulair. It is non-steriodal, doesn't contain a beta agonist, yet works surprisingly well. My wife has severe spring asthma and found it worked just as well as Advair. You have to start taking it before allergy season though, since it seems to take about a week to take effect.
Hey thx a ton...I'm def gonna look into the singulair. Like your wife, my asthma is usually worsened by spring allergies as well, but if the humidity keeps up, it will still give me some minor problems.

It seems as though I start to really notice the muscle loss after the first couple of days I train a said bodypart. I will eventually gain back the mass/size though in about a week if I don't train anymore. THis is leading me to believe that it's causing me to overtrain...and delaying recovery time. I quit using it today so I'll see how I do in the next week or so...thx for your help.

drksun

drksun

Banned
Awards
  • Established
its funny, i was on advair for 3 years in highschool, i couldn't put on any muscle, after I've been off I gained about 20lb and counting, im still skinny..

CrzyHrse

CrzyHrse

Awards
I've been using advair for about 3 years now and it doesn't seem to be causing any kind of muscle loss. Maybe because I only take it once about 4 days per week instead of twice every day like the prescription says. I have found that it still controls my asthma just as good that way. I don't think it would be good for someone with severe asthma to take it that way though. I don't have it real bad; mainly from allergies and humid weather....

drksun

drksun

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've been using advair for about 3 years now and it doesn't seem to be causing any kind of muscle loss. Maybe because I only take it once about 4 days per week instead of twice every day like the prescription says. I have found that it still controls my asthma just as good that way. I don't think it would be good for someone with severe asthma to take it that way though. I don't have it real bad; mainly from allergies and humid weather....
my asthma was more severe, i was taking advair the higher dosed advair 2 times a day, and i was on prednisone a few times, and one time i got a prednisone shot in the hospital.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
lol, I saw the title of this thread and was like Yeah, I DID exp it, and then realized it was my old thread.:icon_lol:

I haven't used advair since then, and prolly still wont. I just try to get more cardio in to strengthen my lungs more and have more endurance basically.

zkt

Awards
Still seems to be some interest in it.
Ive had it for about 4 years now after being free all my adult life and have done a lot of research into the drugs, biochemical prosesses involved and general nature of the beast. The details of the onset and my theory concerning the cause is here.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/72227-flattened-stress-induced.html
The effects of long term corticosteroids use may include thinning of the skin, cataracts, and adrenal insuffiency and all the problems resulting from inability to respond to stress, and loss of muscle mass. What kind of FEV and PEV1 numbers do all of you have ? Its good to find some other people with the same problem .And sorry you havve it. Nothing takes the wind out of your sails like not having enough wind.. . Perhaps we can find better ways of dealing with it. It is a priority with me.
Think the cardio is a good idea. Doing it myself along with lifting.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure what FEV and PE1 numbers are?

I just want to mention that I still use albuterol inhaler ED, in case some thought I meant I'm not doing anything but cardio for it. ;)

I usually use it 1x/day, 2x if I'm out in the humidity a lot. In the winter it seems to not be much of a problem, and seems worst in the hot humid air.

zkt

Awards
Sorry meant PEF and FEV1
They are measurements of air flow out of the lung and indicate asthma severity.
PEF is peak expiratory force- how hard you can exhale.
FEV1 is forced expiratory volume in one second- the volume of air you can expell in one second.
Both meaures decrease as bronchial constriction increases and can be measured with $30 or cheaper device.
It good to have if youre a numbers kind of guy and want more than a subjective analysis of treatments.
Since begining TRT my pev has increased from a high of 190 to 267 and FEV1 from 1.2 to 1.6 L. Yea albuterol is good. The inhalers dont do me much good anymore. The albuterol nebulizer does.
Sounds like you have it under control bro. Good

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, okay I got one of those air flow meters from my doc. Haven't tested it in awhile though. I need to try and have my insurance pay for an at home nebulizer machine. If I were to do a treatment or two once a month, it would prolly be even better symptom-wise.

zkt

Awards
The half life of albuterol, the short acting beta 2 agonist used in the nebulizers, is only a few hours. So Its a daily or more frequent thing. Would be interested in knowing what kind of numbers you can blow, if you have the time.
Different things set it off in different people. Heat gets me as does exertion.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
The half life of albuterol, the short acting beta 2 agonist used in the nebulizers, is only a few hours. So Its a daily or more frequent thing. Would be interested in knowing what kind of numbers you can blow, if you have the time.
Different things set it off in different people. Heat gets me as does exertion.
Agree about the nebulizer. However, ther's times where I would do a lot of grasscutting/yardwork in the summer and about midway thru the summer months the albuterol won't have any effect on me. The only thing left I can do in order to breathe is go get a neb treatment from the ER. Usually after a treatment of that, I can shortly begin inhaler treatment again with success and all the build-up from the summer months seems to gimme a "new slate" so to speak until next summer. So in my case I use a neb treatment as a maintenance type deal.

But for the past 2 summers I haven't had a yard and lived in apt bldg. and have better breathing due to lack of yardwork.

I'm in the process of moving into a new house right now. Half of my stuff from my apartment is in storeage and the other half is at my girls place. As soon as I can dig it out I'll do a test and post my peak flow #'s for ya.

zkt

Awards
" However, ther's times where I would do a lot of grasscutting/yardwork in the summer and about midway thru the summer months the albuterol won't have any effect on me. The only thing left I can do in order to breathe is go get a neb treatment from the ER. Usually after a treatment of that, I can shortly begin inhaler treatment again with success and all the build-up from the summer months seems to gimme a "new slate" so to speak until next summer. So in my case I use a neb treatment as a maintenance type deal. "

You might be using the puffer more and more as the summer progresses until you reach the point where the beta2 receptors in the bronchii lose their sensitivity to albuterol. A common component in breathing treatments, along with a much larger dose of alburerol than in the inhaler, is a long acting beta2 receptor agonist which dilates the bronchii for about 12 hours. Perhaps the absence of albuterol during this peroid is sufficient to resensitive you to albuterol. I`ll give you the name of the drug when I think of it shortly. You might be able to get the same amount of releif at less cost.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
You might be using the puffer more and more as the summer progresses until you reach the point where the beta2 receptors in the bronchii lose their sensitivity to albuterol. A common component in breathing treatments, along with a much larger dose of alburerol than in the inhaler, is a long acting beta2 receptor agonist which dilates the bronchii for about 12 hours. Perhaps the absence of albuterol during this peroid is sufficient to resensitive you to albuterol. I`ll give you the name of the drug when I think of it shortly. You might be able to get the same amount of releif at less cost.
Very good point, that seems like a good possibility of what may be occuring. Leading up to the point where I NEED a neb treatment, I had been using the inhaler like CRAZY, so it makes sense. If you could gimme the name of the otehr drug that would be great. Inahlers are mucho deniro $$$ :sad: