Antihistamines- A ? for the good Dr.D

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
There are some who swear by benadryll for the Test Flu, the reason being that it is actually an allergic reaction to the test.

My question is; would other, non drowsy antihistamines be as effective to reduce the time of the allergic reaction?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
There are some who swear by benadryll for the Test Flu, the reason being that it is actually an allergic reaction to the test.

My question is; would other, non drowsy antihistamines be as effective to reduce the time of the allergic reaction?
I'm not sure that this is true. An antigen as an endogenous substance? Maybe if it's dose dependent you could have a type I allergic response, but my M1T "flu" responded best to motrin. My favorite non-sedating anti-histamine is Chlorpheniramine maleate. You have to take it every 4 hrs, but it's strong and effective at 4-8mg/dose. Save the Benadryl for at night.

weeenisss

Board Supporter
Awards
when i got hives and site are pain from 1-test i would take half a benadryl and it worked wonders, drowsiness wasnt an issue at that dosage either, however getting hives seems to be an obvious allergic reaction which may be different than what you are talking about.

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
Fantastic replies. This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.