adderall weight loss

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by dickwootton View Post
    But does any one know of the properties of adderall that may actually burn fat?

Adderall definately has stim properties. Increased heartrate, increased CNS, appitie supression.
    I lost weight like I was smoking crack on the stuff years n years ago. Firest time in my life then I had a 6pack. Althought I was 145lbs... People got worried.. Then again, I also took ritaline half the time as well..

In and of itself, it's an amphetimine. So yes.
    Be carefull

2. Quote Originally Posted by xtraflossy View Post
    Adderall definately has stim properties. Increased heartrate, increased CNS, appitie supression.
    I lost weight like I was smoking crack on the stuff years n years ago. Firest time in my life then I had a 6pack. Althought I was 145lbs... People got worried.. Then again, I also took ritaline half the time as well..

In and of itself, it's an amphetimine. So yes.
    Be carefull
    how did you manage to get off the meds? Most docs tell people they have to be on that stuff "For life" but I hear how so many people do well or recover.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by bassgirl View Post
    how did you manage to get off the meds? Most docs tell people they have to be on that stuff "For life" but I hear how so many people do well or recover.
    The stimulants used to treat ADD are almost a situational drug. They're often used the same way that you'd use an aspirin. I have a headache, I take an aspirin. If I need to concentrate, say for a test, or at work, take an Adderal or a Ritalin(I tried ritalin. It worked for me, but made me feel a little too antsy)

A lot of folks can develop some pretty good coping skills that can allow them to get on without meds.

Now something like bipolar, that's one that you need to be on meds for a lifetime. I love my Lamictal. It keeps me level enough that I can lead a normal life.

With something like depression, you may need meds for a while, or a lifetime, or on and off. All depends on the person and their situation.
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.

4. hey Dr.D, i wonder who told me amphetamines are dirty street crap

LOL

5. I know this thread is old, but I've been using adderall for a little bit now and thought I would share my knowledge and experience on it.

I was prescribed it for ADD and have been taking it for 1 year now. Started at 20mg XR (The time released version) and have since been bumped up to 30mg XR. It helped me lose a ton of weight, but it was in a very unhealthy fashion. I virtually lost my whole appetite and would only eat once or twice a day in very small portions. To be exact, I was around 255 when I started dieting and started taking adderall 1 month later (This was actually pure coincidence, 2007 has been a huge overhaul in who I am as a person). I updated my diet 4 months ago and started working out and I'm now at ~188.

Even though I was losing weight in a very unhealthy way, I can say that the Adderall and the loss of the initial weight of around 30lbs did a lot for giving me the motivation to live a healthy, fit lifestyle.

As for my libido, being a 19 year old who weighed 255lbs at 5'7", it is safe to say I wasn't getting laid much anyways. I still haven't noticed a change, but I assume that being young helps with this.

I was diagnosed with depression a couple years ago. My depression is generally authentic being that it runs in my family and I'm not the type to loathe in my self pity. The adderall affected my depression in two aspects. It gives me a sense of short term depression as the medicine is peaking which seems to closely correlate with the urgency it creates in me. However, this urgency also leads to an increase of motivation. If I use the urgency and motivation correctly and get stuff accomplished, it greatly overshadows the negative counterpart.

When I first started taking it, it did mess with my personality a bit. It made me extremely introverted because all I would do is think to myself. As I've been taking it for a while though, I seem to have leveled out. I still feel a little different, but it is a very acceptable compromise between being able to concentrate and get stuff done with my normal personality. *Edit* Along with my personality leveling out as time went on, I also have a very acceptable appetite now. I can easily eat 4-6 healthy small meals a day, no problem at all.

Throughout the extent of my use with adderall, I've used it properly and never abused it. No snorting, doubling doses to increase high, or binging to study for tests and staying awake all night. It has done nothing but help me out in all aspects of my life. I've become healthier, I can concentrate, do well in school, was able to go off my anti-depression medicine for a while, and allows me to get **** done.
    •   

6. bump on this.

7. im actually planning to use dex or adderall for better grades in school.

just gonna tell my doc i cant focus and my grades are suffering.

i already got me some ritalin patches but its not good enough.

8. Quote Originally Posted by opfor101 View Post
    im actually planning to use dex or adderall for better grades in school.

just gonna tell my doc i cant focus and my grades are suffering.

i already got me some ritalin patches but its not good enough.
    stay away from amphetamines.
    Freedom means nothing here.

9. opfor101,
    so you're getting on stuff that people use if they have ADD but you haven't been diagnosed with ADD? so you're just lazy?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    stay away from amphetamines.
    +1000

Seriously. If there's one decision you DO listen to strangers on the internet about, it's this one. Find something less addictive than amphetamines.
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.

11. Asking your psych for certain meds to accelerate learning capacity doesn't mean the person is lazy... Well atleast from a few points of view. I would not recommend amphetamines to anyone unless they're in dire need.

12. Quote Originally Posted by bound View Post
    +1000

Seriously. If there's one decision you DO listen to strangers on the internet about, it's this one. Find something less addictive than amphetamines.
    I have confessed more to this board than I have to anyone about certain things. I was at rock bottom a few days ago. I lost my apartment, had a falling out with my family, had my Christmas trip home cancelled, was ripped off numerous times for a lot of money, and found myself in a hotel unable to deal with the events that were taking place in my life and all the other things I had to deal with at the time. I could barely wake up to shower and shave. The only times I woke up really was to go to the vending machine and to take a piss. I asked a someone I knew for a type of what adderall is classified as but with a methyl group attached to it... I'm not going to incriminate myself.. but... I used the cap'em quick caps and BOOM. I derived a plan to get back on my feet. Before I knew it, I was getting more things done than I ever have before... with a low dose... the downside is what is to come... I fear. My case may be a bit different, but I can say that you should stay clear from them. Don't take the risk. I am constantly reminding myself that I am in control, but am I really? I don't want to discuss this much, for the choice I made was to get out of a severe situation whereas I realized I no one to stand by me through any of what was happening and in another week, my depression would've been deepened and I would've lost all my money, my possessions, my cars would've been impounded for have been overparked so long, and I may have been committed. You can criticize me in your minds, but what I did at the time was after I tried exhausting all other options aside for losing more money, and ending up more in debt.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    I have confessed more to this board than I have to anyone about certain things. I was at rock bottom a few days ago. I lost my apartment, had a falling out with my family, had my Christmas trip home cancelled, was ripped off numerous times for a lot of money, and found myself in a hotel unable to deal with the events that were taking place in my life and all the other things I had to deal with at the time. I could barely wake up to shower and shave. The only times I woke up really was to go to the vending machine and to take a piss. I asked a someone I knew for a type of what adderall is classified as but with a methyl group attached to it... I'm not going to incriminate myself.. but... I used the cap'em quick caps and BOOM. I derived a plan to get back on my feet. Before I knew it, I was getting more things done than I ever have before... with a low dose... the downside is what is to come... I fear. My case may be a bit different, but I can say that you should stay clear from them. Don't take the risk. I am constantly reminding myself that I am in control, but am I really? I don't want to discuss this much, for the choice I made was to get out of a severe situation whereas I realized I no one to stand by me through any of what was happening and in another week, my depression would've been deepened and I would've lost all my money, my possessions, my cars would've been impounded for have been overparked so long, and I may have been committed. You can criticize me in your minds, but what I did at the time was after I tried exhausting all other options aside for losing more money, and ending up more in debt.
    May i ask, how did it end up to be this bad? good thing you are piecing your life back together.

I hope you have a great holiday though, seriously.

14. Thanks man, I hope that yours goes really well (I'm sure it will). I am trying to find somewhere to go to be in company, for I will be 3000 miles from any family and friends??? "Oh, uhhhh... I'm going away to..." lol. Yeah...

15. hmmm what made you so distant from family and friends?
    im sorta mad that im not really as close with my family as i want to be.

16. Quote Originally Posted by opfor101 View Post
    hey Dr.D, i wonder who told me amphetamines are dirty street crap

LOL
    Haha, not Adderall and Dex, pretty clean at the proper dose. Phentermine is dirty, but a better appetite suppressant IMO.

17. Quote Originally Posted by bassgirl View Post
    I was never prescribbed them in the - well, yes I was :P ..but when I was much younger. It put me to sleep though.

I was basicly getting them recreactional for a bit in millitary school- lol, and maybe a few times via prescription, ... but not by a doc..

So I wasn't taking them for years..

....but as a testamint to either my nature, or the chemical, Id take some now if it were offered.

18. Quote Originally Posted by xtraflossy View Post
    ....but as a testamint to either my nature, or the chemical, Id take some now if it were offered.
    Try some StimX instead bro. It's not Adderall, but it's a nice and clean OTC alternative.

My docs had me on every stim and antidepressant in the book for 10-15 years, I am definitely a conesure of such compounds.

19. Quote Originally Posted by DR.D View Post
    Try some StimX instead bro. It's not Adderall, but it's a nice and clean OTC alternative.

My docs had me on every stim and antidepressant in the book for 10-15 years, I am definitely a conesure of such compounds.
    I remember getting a sample pack back a while back. I don't recall if it did anything or not.

Nice to see ya round Doc. It may have just been me, but I haven't seen ya in a while.
    lol- gripping your snake now I see

20. Quote Originally Posted by xtraflossy View Post
    ...lol- gripping your snake now I see
    Well somebody has to do it lol

21. Quote Originally Posted by DR.D View Post
    Haha, not Adderall and Dex, pretty clean at the proper dose. Phentermine is dirty, but a better appetite suppressant IMO.
    hmm do you think some benadryl or ketotifen at night time will prevent the appetite suppression?

22. Rick James has told me that cocaine is a helluva drug.

You all might want to try that, coming from the pimp himself.

23. The use of amphetamines (especially methamphetamine) can often improve someones capacity to get work done, socialize, stay on task, and handle stress. Often people are tricked into thinking that, "hey, maybe this drug is the missing link to my achievements," and begin to think that he/she is a better person while on these drugs. Some of them can change the chemistry of the brain to make one dependant upon it's administration (chemical dependency) let alone the psychological aspect of not liking who they are without the drug.

I am not trying to sound like a health teacher or D.A.R.E. instructor, but IMO it's not worth the risks.

24. Quote Originally Posted by opfor101 View Post
    hmm do you think some benadryl or ketotifen at night time will prevent the appetite suppression?
    I always found that I could still eat if I had to. The first few bites were hard, but after that you prime yourself and it's not so bad.

I don't think an anti-histamine would necessarily encourage appetite and I've never personally noticed it except sometimes a little with keto, but I have read studies were high dose use of l-Histadine (16 g/day) did suppress food intake, so theoretically it could.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    The use of amphetamines (especially methamphetamine) can often improve someones capacity to get work done, socialize, stay on task, and handle stress. Often people are tricked into thinking that, "hey, maybe this drug is the missing link to my achievements," and begin to think that he/she is a better person while on these drugs. Some of them can change the chemistry of the brain to make one dependant upon it's administration (chemical dependency) let alone the psychological aspect of not liking who they are without the drug.

I am not trying to sound like a health teacher or D.A.R.E. instructor, but IMO it's not worth the risks.
    Very good point FOG! Something to consider and talk with your doc about if it gets out of control.

26. Quote Originally Posted by DR.D View Post
    You ever try Sibutramine? I know its one of the constituents of phentermine, but I'm curious as to its cognitive effects and how it would compare to say...adderall and ephedrine?

Also interested to hear if you could compare these same effects between phentermine and sibutramine.

This isn't limited to D, would like to hear anyone's input if you've got some expereince with these.
  27. Smile Adderll And Weight Loss

[MEDIA][/MEDIA]
    Quote Originally Posted by dickwootton View Post
    So i was diagnosed with ADHD and was perscribed adderall which is a mixture of 4 amphetamine salts at 40 mgs a day and people have started telling me that i am looking as though i have lost weight. I am trying to find out if adderall has any fat burning properties in and of itself. I know when i am on it i feel like i am on a high dose of ephedrine, or clen. Or if it is just a result of my appetite being almost non-existent...
    I WOULD LIKE TO TELL YOU I HAVE DOND ALOT OF RESEARCJ ON ADDERALL XR ,RIGHT DOWN TO SNORTING I.... I KNOW YOU HAVE HEARD OF METH... PEOPLE CRACKED OUT ON METH.. WELL ADDERLL HAS ALL THE INGREDIENGTS EXCEPT ONE...BUT THAT ONE DEOS NOT MAKE A DIFFERNCE... IT WILL SPEED UP YOUR METABLOISM AND WILL MAKE YOU LOOSE WEIGHT... ALONG WITH THE APPEPTIE SUPPRESSION..COKE IS THE RICH MANS METH BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DO MORE OF IT.. METH JUST DO A LITTLE AND YOU GO ALONG WAYS... SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUISTION.. YES ADDERLL NOT ONLY SUPPRESSES YOUR HUNGER BUT IT ALSO SPEEDS UP METABLOSIM...I AM TYPING THIS IN DARK.. SO EXCUSE ME FOR MISPELLD WORDS... I HAVE BEEN ON ADDERALL FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS NOW.... I AM NOT ON 30 MG XR AND I HAVE LOT 36 POUNDS...SO WHOEVER SAYS IT DOES NOT SPEED UP YOUR METBOLISM... IS WRONG.. THAT IS WHY YOU HAVE TROUBLE GOING TO SLEEP AT NIGHT BECAUSE YOUR METABLOLISM IS STILL GOING.. THAT IS WHY THEY SAY DONT WORK OUT TO LATE BECAUSE YOUR METABOLISM IS STILL GOING... FOR HOURS AFTER YOU FINISH WORKING OUTL.. I CHECKED WITH DRS AND LOOKED UP AND TALKED TO LAB TECHS.. I KNOW I AM RIGHT..
    THANKS
    MEL

28. I Would Like To Tell You I Have Dond Alot Of Researcj On Adderall Xr ,right Down To Snorting I.... I Know You Have Heard Of Meth... People Cracked Out On Meth.. Well Adderll Has All The Ingrediengts Except One...but That One Deos Not Make A Differnce... It Will Speed Up Your Metabloism And Will Make You Loose Weight... Along With The Appeptie Suppression..coke Is The Rich Mans Meth Because You Have To Do More Of It.. Meth Just Do A Little And You Go Along Ways... So To Answer Your Quistion.. Yes Adderll Not Only Suppresses Your Hunger But It Also Speeds Up Metablosim...i Am Typing This In Dark.. So Excuse Me For Mispelld Words... I Have Been On Adderall For About 2 Months Now.... I Am Not On 30 Mg Xr And I Have Lot 36 Pounds...so Whoever Says It Does Not Speed Up Your Metbolism... Is Wrong.. That Is Why You Have Trouble Going To Sleep At Night Because Your Metablolism Is Still Going.. That Is Why They Say Dont Work Out To Late Because Your Metabolism Is Still Going... For Hours After You Finish Working Outl.. I Checked With Drs And Looked Up And Talked To Lab Techs.. I Know I Am Right..
    Thanks
    Mel

29. Quote Originally Posted by melis View Post
    I Would Like To Tell You I Have Dond Alot Of Researcj On Adderall Xr ,right Down To Snorting I.... I Know You Have Heard Of Meth... People Cracked Out On Meth.. Well Adderll Has All The Ingrediengts Except One...but That One Deos Not Make A Differnce... It Will Speed Up Your Metabloism And Will Make You Loose Weight... Along With The Appeptie Suppression..coke Is The Rich Mans Meth Because You Have To Do More Of It.. Meth Just Do A Little And You Go Along Ways... So To Answer Your Quistion.. Yes Adderll Not Only Suppresses Your Hunger But It Also Speeds Up Metablosim...i Am Typing This In Dark.. So Excuse Me For Mispelld Words... I Have Been On Adderall For About 2 Months Now.... I Am Not On 30 Mg Xr And I Have Lot 36 Pounds...so Whoever Says It Does Not Speed Up Your Metbolism... Is Wrong.. That Is Why You Have Trouble Going To Sleep At Night Because Your Metablolism Is Still Going.. That Is Why They Say Dont Work Out To Late Because Your Metabolism Is Still Going... For Hours After You Finish Working Outl.. I Checked With Drs And Looked Up And Talked To Lab Techs.. I Know I Am Right..
    Thanks
    Mel
    Mel, judging from your post, maybe we should check into rehab together?

Amphetamines are no joke. And I am not sure that raising your pulse/blood pressure is significantly concurrent with metabolism.

30. Quote Originally Posted by quigs View Post
    You ever try Sibutramine? I know its one of the constituents of phentermine, but I'm curious as to its cognitive effects and how it would compare to say...adderall and ephedrine?

Also interested to hear if you could compare these same effects between phentermine and sibutramine.

This isn't limited to D, would like to hear anyone's input if you've got some expereince with these.
    Sibutramine is more of an SNRI. Amphetamine acts more to enhance release of NE, plus it's a mild MAOI too. Amph is superior for depressive states IMO, but Sib can still serve it's purpose for weight loss. The molecule looks nasty though and I'd bet it induces it's own metabolism with that electronegative para Cl on the ring. I have never used it, but I'd say it's probably kinda dirty, like Wellbutrin is with that N-butyl sub or any tertiary amine would be, not to mention the additional serotonergic component.

As for Ephedrine, too much beta activity and not enough CNS effect to make a great anti-depressant, but good for appetite suppression and metabolic elevation that promotes weight loss.

Phentermine is very well suited for weight loss, but the crash and burn effect is one of the worst in this whole category of PEA derived adrenergics.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Enhancing my wife's weight loss...
    By windwords7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 02:06 PM
  2. Beware of Untested Weight Loss Pills
    By DarCSA in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-12-2003, 04:29 PM
  3. weight loss patch
    By ChaseRoy in forum General Chat