Dr.D's Antibiotic Brief

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. i got two questions

what would generally be good to have around at all times? 1 of each type or what?

and which is better amoxicillin or pen v?

2. Personally I think that amoxicillin is good stuff but like has been said before.. don't start it just to be taking it
    •   

3. Amoxil, Doxycyline and some Pen-G injectable for the 3 basics you should have on hand (keep 'em in the frig)

4. appreciate the help

5. what does mean NLT days?

I going to stock cephalexin for first line, and thinking about adding Ciprofloxacin to stock too! never got any infection, but I'm abusing from my own homebrew, so it's time to jump to the safer side!

This 2 need to be refrigerated?
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by daemonium
    what does mean NLT days?

I going to stock cephalexin for first line, and thinking about adding Ciprofloxacin to stock too! never got any infection, but I'm abusing from my own homebrew, so it's time to jump to the safer side!

This 2 need to be refrigerated?
    NLT=Not Less Than (sorry for the confusion, I'll go back and clean it up a little)

I'd refrig, just for long term purity retention

7. thks!

lol, no prob!
    I've never seen that abbreviation so it was hard as hell to decode it!

Yes, it better to refrigerate it then!
    Hope I never need them..

8. Dr D,
    If I've missed the answer to this already I apologize.......
    I'm very prone to sinus and ear infections. I have a small supply of Doxycycline from my Dermatologist, but it doesen't seem too effective for sinus infections.
    What would you recommend to keep on hand for this?
    Thanks, and great thread.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy
    ... I have a small supply of Doxycycline from my Dermatologist, but it doesen't seem too effective for sinus infections.
    What would you recommend to keep on hand for this?
    Thanks, and great thread.
    Really? That's interesting because Doxy usually does the trick for me. I'll start with Amoxil and then go to Cipro if that doesn't work. Doxy is gold to me, I only use it as a last resort. If you have any synthetic pens like Augmentin, that's usually pretty fast acting as well.

If it get's into your throat or starts to turn into a lower airway issue (like bronchitis) I also suggest zinc lozenges like the Sundown brand. It tastes great compared to Cold-Ezee and works really well if you start at the first sign of a sore throat. I've have great luck gargling with 10ppm suspensions of Colloidal Silver also.

10. Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    Really? That's interesting because Doxy usually does the trick for me. I'll start with Amoxil and then go to Cipro if that doesn't work. Doxy is gold to me, I only use it as a last resort. If you have any synthetic pens like Augmentin, that's usually pretty fast acting as well.

If it get's into your throat or starts to turn into a lower airway issue (like bronchitis) I also suggest zinc lozenges like the Sundown brand. It tastes great compared to Cold-Ezee and works really well if you start at the first sign of a sore throat. I've have great luck gargling with 10ppm suspensions of Colloidal Silver also.
    Augmentin usually works pretty good for me.
    My ENT usually will fix me up, but sometimes it might be a couple of days before I can get in to see him.
    Thanks for the info.

11. My parents raise dogs, mom's always had a big bottle of amox around when I got sinus infections. Never had any infections from anything else...knock on wood!

Great thread...thanks Dr!!!

12. amoxicillin or amoxilcillin + clavulanate (augmentin) are first line treatment for sinus infections when antibiotics are required. studies have shown antibitoics vs watchful waiting for sinus infections resulted in same outcomes in uncomplicated cases.

Lastly, Im not sure the purpose of this thread but I in medicine we like to practice called antibiotic stewardship. antibiotics resistance is a growing problem (due to previous generations of medical professions not practicing stewardship) in the world and most pharmaceutical companies have stopped putting money in antibitoics research. all my professors basically say were screwed. so PLEASE do not just use antibiotics willy-nilly. consult a physician (infectious disease doc is best lol). The most specific antibiotic (narrow spectrum) for an infection is the best course and only when indicated. ok thats my rant sorry.

13. a bump

ciprofloxacin should i be worried about the possible tendon damage /tendon rupture or negative effects on protein synthesis?

the doc gave me a 10 day supply at 1 pill twice daily do i need to stop lifting heavy for the week/will this have long term effects on tendons?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Emperor vs. Dr. Ironfist
    By lifted in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 11:11 AM
  2. Dr. Robert C. Atkins Passes Away
    By Sheesh in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 07:20 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 03:49 AM