Dr.D's Antibiotic Brief

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User

I thought certain antibiotics can be hard on the liver and also reduce protein synthesis. Are either of these true for dicloxacillin? My pharmacist said "no" to the first question.

I'm taking 2 weeks of dicloxacillin for a skin infection (250mg x 4ED). I'm not sick or unable to train. Once I'm done, how long should I wait before starting superdrol? Is 1 week OK? I have no idea how long to wait. Also, during that interim I'll start probiotics and probably continue them into the SD cycle.

Thanks.

P.S. I read the following in quick search, but don't know much more about this: "Flucloxacillin or amoxicillin with clavulanic acid should be used with caution in those with pre-existing liver disease. Dicloxacillin may be less likely to injure the liver." http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/penicillin.html

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

RRGG,
    You could actually start SD now with the dicloxacillin. Phlebitis can occur with this antibiotic and SD probably reduces clotting, so they may actually cancel out some of each others sides in this case. Your pharmacist is right, this AB is not that tough on the liver (worse on the kidneys actually) so don't worry about jaundice. It's a good little AB actually, about like Augmentin. Also, make sure you leave a few hours between you probiotics and you AB's, don't take them too close together. And about protein synthesis, like I said before, doxy is one of the ones that comes to mind and in my experience it isn't all that bad. Your on a medium-low dose for not very long and your still able to be active and work out, so it's really not a concern.
  3. Registered User

Thanks doc!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rrgg
    Thanks doc!
    Anytime my friend!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Superdrol and antibiotics

Hello Doc,
    I am reaching the end of my second week of a, planned, week Superdrol cylce. I seem to be getting "tonsilitis" sp? or something of the sort. Would I need to stop my cycle if my Doc puts me on AntiBiotics? Or, should I request a certain type to continue my cycle...? Any advice?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Striate
    Hello Doc,
    I am reaching the end of my second week of a, planned, week Superdrol cylce. I seem to be getting "tonsilitis" sp? or something of the sort. Would I need to stop my cycle if my Doc puts me on AntiBiotics? Or, should I request a certain type to continue my cycle...? Any advice?
    3-4 week palnned cycle.....that was a typo
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Striate
    Hello Doc,
    No, you'll be fine. No need to stop or request a specific AB, it's not a big concern with SD really. Have you tried zinc lozenges or a colloidal silver gargle for your throat? That can really help sometimes.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    No, you'll be fine. No need to stop or request a specific AB, it's not a big concern with SD really. Have you tried zinc lozenges or a colloidal silver gargle for your throat? That can really help sometimes.
    Thanks alot Doc...its seems to be clearing up...no AB yet.
  9. Registered User

minocycline ( this is an acne medication), would the antibiotic minocycline have any effects on steroids. pro hormones, pcts, etc.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lilman
    minocycline ( this is an acne medication), would the antibiotic minocycline have any effects on steroids. pro hormones, pcts, etc.
    Not really, it's the same as other tetracyclines. It can depress prothrombin activity, so if you're on certain juice that can thin your blood (like halo, dbol, maybe SD) then just try to avoid other anticoagulants like T3 or aspirin. The most obvious symptom of toxic synergy would be a nose bleed that happens 2 days in a row. In that case, discontinue the antibiotic, or keep treating the infection if it's bad enough and stop the juice. This combo usually isn't a problem though.
  11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by size
    Using an antibiotic when it is not needed is dangerous as your body will not respond as well to future antibiotic needs.
    Is this true? My understanding was that it is a function of bacteria developing a resistance, not the body.
  12. Board Supporter

This is why im a fan of DR. D
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkarp
    Is this true? My understanding was that it is a function of bacteria developing a resistance, not the body.
    You are both right. It's the tolerance developed by the bacteria that make the body's future responses less effective.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by punta
    This is why im a fan of DR. D

I guess people have been reading this, stocking up on antibiotics or just taking better care of themselves. I haven't gotten an emergency PM about an infection in a long time!
  15. Registered User

I guess people have been reading this, stocking up on antibiotics or just taking better care of themselves. I haven't gotten an emergency PM about an infection in a long time!
    Hi Dr

It's not mutch into the topic but i can't PM you! Can ou take a look at this?

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/anabo...lp-levels.html
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by daemonium
    Hi Dr

It's not mutch into the topic but i can't PM you! Can ou take a look at this?

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/anabo...lp-levels.html
    Sure thing. Get me at drd@designersupps.com in the future if needed, of just flag me down on a thread like you did, I don't mind either way if I can help.
  17. Registered User

Thks a lot!
  18. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

if one was taking cephalexin, should they be worried about kidney/liver health? I'm on it for a skin infection (no, not from pinning) and I was experiencing pain in my kidney area. I'm thinking it was a coincidence but better safe than sorry.

Edit - The pain seems to be gone today which is relieving

After doing a lot of research I haven't found anything suggesting renal or hepatoxicity, and the fact Dr.D and others would recommend it to people on cycle is probably a clear indication of its safety, but just double checking

Some feedback from someone using Keflex - its kind of a pain in the ass to need to take such spread out doses. I wish it had a longer half life
    Last edited by Wedgylx; 01-02-2006 at 10:42 AM.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

Wedgylx,

The half-life issue does suck, but it's just so fast acting! A great choice if you need rapid effects and can remember to take it at least 4x/d (every 4-6hrs). It is clean and renal/hepatoxicity are not a problem, even using 2g's/day or more.
  20. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Wedgylx,

The half-life issue does suck, but it's just so fast acting! A great choice if you need rapid effects and can remember to take it at least 4x/d (every 4-6hrs). It is clean and renal/hepatoxicity are not a problem, even using 2g's/day or more.
    Thanks a lot Dr.D! I will confess I hadn't been as dedicated as I should have with dosage, but recently I've wisened up.
  21. Gold Member

i got two questions

what would generally be good to have around at all times? 1 of each type or what?

and which is better amoxicillin or pen v?
  22. Running with the Big Boys

Personally I think that amoxicillin is good stuff but like has been said before.. don't start it just to be taking it
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

Amoxil, Doxycyline and some Pen-G injectable for the 3 basics you should have on hand (keep 'em in the frig)
  24. Gold Member

appreciate the help
  25. Registered User

what does mean NLT days?

I going to stock cephalexin for first line, and thinking about adding Ciprofloxacin to stock too! never got any infection, but I'm abusing from my own homebrew, so it's time to jump to the safer side!

This 2 need to be refrigerated?
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by daemonium
    what does mean NLT days?

I going to stock cephalexin for first line, and thinking about adding Ciprofloxacin to stock too! never got any infection, but I'm abusing from my own homebrew, so it's time to jump to the safer side!

This 2 need to be refrigerated?
    NLT=Not Less Than (sorry for the confusion, I'll go back and clean it up a little)

I'd refrig, just for long term purity retention
  27. Registered User

thks!

lol, no prob!
    I've never seen that abbreviation so it was hard as hell to decode it!

Yes, it better to refrigerate it then!
    Hope I never need them..
  28. Gold Member

Dr D,
    If I've missed the answer to this already I apologize.......
    I'm very prone to sinus and ear infections. I have a small supply of Doxycycline from my Dermatologist, but it doesen't seem too effective for sinus infections.
    What would you recommend to keep on hand for this?
    Thanks, and great thread.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy
    ... I have a small supply of Doxycycline from my Dermatologist, but it doesen't seem too effective for sinus infections.
    What would you recommend to keep on hand for this?
    Thanks, and great thread.
    Really? That's interesting because Doxy usually does the trick for me. I'll start with Amoxil and then go to Cipro if that doesn't work. Doxy is gold to me, I only use it as a last resort. If you have any synthetic pens like Augmentin, that's usually pretty fast acting as well.

If it get's into your throat or starts to turn into a lower airway issue (like bronchitis) I also suggest zinc lozenges like the Sundown brand. It tastes great compared to Cold-Ezee and works really well if you start at the first sign of a sore throat. I've have great luck gargling with 10ppm suspensions of Colloidal Silver also.
  30. Gold Member

Really? That's interesting because Doxy usually does the trick for me. I'll start with Amoxil and then go to Cipro if that doesn't work. Doxy is gold to me, I only use it as a last resort. If you have any synthetic pens like Augmentin, that's usually pretty fast acting as well.

If it get's into your throat or starts to turn into a lower airway issue (like bronchitis) I also suggest zinc lozenges like the Sundown brand. It tastes great compared to Cold-Ezee and works really well if you start at the first sign of a sore throat. I've have great luck gargling with 10ppm suspensions of Colloidal Silver also.
    Augmentin usually works pretty good for me.
    My ENT usually will fix me up, but sometimes it might be a couple of days before I can get in to see him.
    Thanks for the info.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  252 lbs.

My parents raise dogs, mom's always had a big bottle of amox around when I got sinus infections. Never had any infections from anything else...knock on wood!

Great thread...thanks Dr!!!
  32. Registered User

amoxicillin or amoxilcillin + clavulanate (augmentin) are first line treatment for sinus infections when antibiotics are required. studies have shown antibitoics vs watchful waiting for sinus infections resulted in same outcomes in uncomplicated cases.

Lastly, Im not sure the purpose of this thread but I in medicine we like to practice called antibiotic stewardship. antibiotics resistance is a growing problem (due to previous generations of medical professions not practicing stewardship) in the world and most pharmaceutical companies have stopped putting money in antibitoics research. all my professors basically say were screwed. so PLEASE do not just use antibiotics willy-nilly. consult a physician (infectious disease doc is best lol). The most specific antibiotic (narrow spectrum) for an infection is the best course and only when indicated. ok thats my rant sorry.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Emperor vs. Dr. Ironfist
    By Jergo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 10:11 AM
  2. Dr. Robert C. Atkins Passes Away
    By Sheesh in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 06:20 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 02:49 AM