Help with sleep

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is an area I've never done much research on but is there anything out there helps with quality of sleep? I'm looking for something that helps with the overall quality so I don't feel like I'm draggin ass for the first hour after I get up.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
I recently switched from melatonin to valerian root and i love it. With melatonin i had that same "draggin ass" feeling unless i got more than 7 or 8 hrs of sleep. No matter how much sleep i get with valerian root i wake up feeling good.

size

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried manipulating your sleep environment? Changes in lighting, white noise, sleep positioning etc. may encourage you to sleep better. I know these things help me and I often suffer from bouts of insomnia.

For medications, I know ambien helps many.

atrain

Awards
I have been looking for something to help me sleep better as well. I wake up around 5-10 times a night and feel like **** in the morning because of it. I was thinking of trying ZMA. Anyone else tried it?

hoSSo

Awards
I would recommend this book called "Powerfull Sleep", you can read the 2 first chapters for free at http://www.powerfulsleep.com , it really shows you how the body works when it comes to sleeping, and how small changes in your life style can help the quality of sleep. Remember when it comes to sleeping , quality is much more important than quantity.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I've tried most of the drugs, they stop working quickly and/or leave one with the dull dragass feeling the next day.

My recommendation is delta entrainment sound CDs, the one I use works very well for faster and more refreshing sleep and I have a friend who thinks the magnetic sleep disk is great.

See http://www.toolsforwellness.com/sleep-technology.html , this seller is a good one.

A general FYI, that's one cool site of non-chemical tools for awareness and functioning.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I use a wave/white noise machine and it works quite well. It really enhances the quality of sleep for me and my wife. It's especially nice in the summer when the windows are open as it blots out a lot of noise..ie birds at the crack of dawn.

Melatonin does make me drag ass and even get depressed. Dr D suggested using a dose of DHEA in the morning to counteract this and it does seem to work well but I rarely use Melatonin anymore.

High quality valerian extract is great however the effect wears off after a few days or weeks of constant use. It is great to use sporadically, especially when you want to sleep in. It relaxes muscles very well.

If you can find it, Hop extract (no not beer) is also very nice for relaxing.

My favorite is theanine stacked with some ZMA. 1fast and BAC both carry theanine.

fdnk

Board Supporter
Awards
It's not OTC, but Ambien does wonders. (Valium works well too)

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I use a wave/white noise machine and it works quite well. It really enhances the quality of sleep for me and my wife. It's especially nice in the summer when the windows are open as it blots out a lot of noise..ie birds at the crack of dawn.
Bio, do you have any specific brands/models to recommend?

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Tylenol PM works good too. Oh, and you DON'T wanna try Unisom, **** fucks me up so bad , I feel like sleeping for a week.

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
OT -- but Npursuit, can you shoot me an email, I have a question for you and no PM ability.

Twin Peak

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Tylenol PM works good too. Oh, and you DON'T wanna try Unisom, **** fucks me up so bad , I feel like sleeping for a week.
I like Tylenol PM to knock you out, but if I don't get enough sleep, I wake up groggy. If I do get enough sleep, then I feel like a million bucks.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Chamomile tea before bed and 5-HTP work well. They also don't cost you the next day. Valerian root (as necessarry) helps, and doesn't seem to linger the next day. Melatonin if you must, but if you get too used to relying on it you A) can't sleep without it and B) lag the next day--both unacceptable options IMO. If you get into using the various "PM" formulas like tylenol, or sominex or something, it seems you really risk setting yourself up for becoming reliant on them. I know people who "knock themselves out" with some sh!t at night, then they can't possibly ever sleep or get good rest without the crap now! Hell, you may as well get a bottle of Night Train with that method! Okay, that's a joke. But I want to be healthy, and get tired on my own merit from work, exercise, and natural living activity. I try to use as little as possible to sleep.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Two shots of Wild Turkey will do the trick. :nono:

I like using the white noise myself.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
..oh and jerking off really seems to help. Very relaxing. :poke:

I use BAC for most herbs. Valerian I get as a liquid extract (tastes awful) from a local herbalist. My white noise machine a cheapy HoMedics deal from Target.

I'm sensitive to most drugs/herbs so my doses are probably of no real use.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
When I was in Egypt I got some Valium over the counter and took it before a nine hour bus ride. I sat down in my seat, and the next time I opened my eyes we had arrived. If you can get your hands on it, that stuff works great. Might be a little tougher to get in the States than in Egypt tho. ;)

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Kava kava.....natures valium
ZMA is nice too, some great dreams.

I also had to stop listening to the voices in my head before I went to sleep.

Pfunk47

Pfunk47

Pop-Lock champion of 84'
Awards
  • Established
I take 100mg zinc+500 mg mag with the last meal of evening and always feel much more rested, pretty crazy dreams too. I also used to feel like I was draggin ass in the am till I consistently did this. I also have started 200mg of dhea a day for the past month and an energy increase has been noticable as well.

dingling

Awards
high dose taurine (10 grams or so) has worked for me when i cant seem to fall asleep.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You just have to keep a consistant sleep scedule. Get up and go to be the same time each day no matter what. I have trouble with that myself, but once I get into a schedule it works. Once I screw it up, I have to get back on schedule by either taking a sleeping pill the night before, or just getting up and being tired all day so I can sleep that night. Also don't drink so much water, if you do get it all finished at least 4 hours before bed.

Cosmo

Awards
I've been taking clonidine for the past week and man the **** knocks me out, I fell asleep at the keyboard two nights ago, head on the keys and all...

s.norman

Awards
  • Established
phenibut at 500-1000mgs works like a dream. however if you take more than that it will leave you with a 24hr hangover effect. thanx to a cool bro on here i now use that dose and there is no hangover

dego

Awards
high dose taurine (10 grams or so) has worked for me when i cant seem to fall asleep.
I regularly dose at 20g and I sleep like a dead man. Only problem is in the morning it takes an extra cup of coffee to bring me around.

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
ok well I know we are talking about OTC drugs here but since I am not really big on pills(even buy powdered pain reliever) when I started having trouble sleeping a spent the money on a good matress. Nothing like a nice pillow top matress

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Making your waking hours enjoyable and satisfying helps sleep. But damn, I wish I had the money for one of them NASA beds. :D Has anyone tried that stuff? You know, the memory foam stuff.

slipondajimmy

Board Supporter
Awards
Making your waking hours enjoyable and satisfying helps sleep. But damn, I wish I had the money for one of them NASA beds. :D Has anyone tried that stuff? You know, the memory foam stuff.
Thats what I have. Well I purchased mine from Bobs Discount Furniture. It is there version and its alot cheaper then the well advertised one. The king cost me $1299 matress and boxspring. And since im into stats Here are the states of the Bed...LMFAO

Bob-O-Pedic Information
Visco Elastic Memory Foam 3� of 5.30 Pound (15ILD)
7� of High Density Foam Support Base
Breathable Beige Velour (Non-Quilted)Ticking
FIRM, PLUSH or Dual Firm on one side Plush on the other
Removable/Washable Cover
Rubberized non-skid Mat Bottom
Anti-Allergy Treated Cover
10� Mattress Height

Everyone needs one of these damn mattresses:)

if you would like the link to the other size beds they are here... http://www.mybobs.com/catalog/bedding_view.asp?room=bedding&set=pedic

Last edited:

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i have one of those temperpedic pillows .. when i first got it the difference in sleep quality and disappearance of back and neck pain was astounding ... the only problem is its a few years old now and i definitely need a new one ... its lost some of its "memory" lol

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Melatonin did seem to help with sleep problems but messed up sleep after a short while. I think it messes up circadian rhythms and should not be use as a long term staple supplement.

utk1976

Awards
Bro, I struggle with sleep, so I stay up on this area. Here are your options:

1. Ambien (zolpidem). It doesn't get any better than this 10mg on an empty stomach and you're out. No hangover, no disconect from your surroundings. You wake rested and feeling great. Ya gotta get a script, but there are numerous parmacies online that will take care of that for you.

2. OTC Antihistamines. In this "class" I would put Diphenhydramine (benadryl), doxyllamine succinate (unisom), and actifed. These are all similar and work reasonably well. They leave me feeling a little groggy sometimes, but nothing extreme. I think that doxy and actifed might be better choices becuase of their short half-lives.

3. Other options. Elavil will help with sleep.

4. Supps. Melatonin, 5HTP, Phenibut, Magnesium hels a lot of people, Straight GABA and/or glycien.

This is an area I've never done much research on but is there anything out there helps with quality of sleep? I'm looking for something that helps with the overall quality so I don't feel like I'm draggin ass for the first hour after I get up.

speakle

DONT F$*# WITH MY NUTS!
Awards
I took a valerian cap last night and woke up feeling better than i have lately...could have just been coincindence though. I looked into the tempurpedic pillows...$70 for a pillow?!! I am broke so my old $15 one will have to work for now.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
It's not OTC, but Ambien does wonders. (Valium works well too)
this really does help.. ambien will make you feel high as hell after taking it but thats when you need to go to sleep.. it doesnt make you drag ass the next day because its effects are usually only felt for a few hours after taking.. it is meant to help you fall asleep which is what i have problems with, i have no problems staying asleep. it is expensive but WELL worth it. tylenol pm doesnt work too bad either, it takes a while to work however after eating and is better taken on an empty stomach around 45 minutes before desired effects to take place.. so take it well before your bedtime meal. benedryl works good too but it makes you drag ass the next morning, not recommended

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Melatonan has always done the trick, 3mg about 10-15 minutes before bed and I sleep pretty well. Usually when I can't sleep it's because my mind races about a million different things.

Melatonan quiets my mind and allows me to drift off. If anyone is having trouble sleeping I would try this first before moving on to prescription stuff.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
important to restate, perhaps, is that all these things can help. However, it's wise to choose the mildest wherever possible, and try to use them ONLY when you know you are having a problem with sleep. I know so many people who simply fall into the (bad) habit of popping the dose of whatever every night, kinda subconscioussly thinking it's just another part of their supp regimen. Then, after a time, you've created a situation for yourself where your body EXPECTS the thing and eventually NEEDS it in order to rest/sleep. That is what we refer to as chemical dependency. Further, everything (even herbal stuff) after a time will probably have an eventual lingering effect, making you drowsy the next day, lethargic, possibly moody. Again, it's not that these things are bad, or don't have a place. It's just smart to use as necessarry.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
important to restate, perhaps, is that all these things can help. However, it's wise to choose the mildest wherever possible, and try to use them ONLY when you know you are having a problem with sleep. I know so many people who simply fall into the (bad) habit of popping the dose of whatever every night, kinda subconscioussly thinking it's just another part of their supp regimen. Then, after a time, you've created a situation for yourself where your body EXPECTS the thing and eventually NEEDS it in order to rest/sleep. That is what we refer to as chemical dependency. Further, everything (even herbal stuff) after a time will probably have an eventual lingering effect, making you drowsy the next day, lethargic, possibly moody. Again, it's not that these things are bad, or don't have a place. It's just smart to use as necessarry.
Agreed :thumbsup:

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
BUMP

Bobo did you try any of the above that worked for you? I wouldn't mind getting a good solid 8 - 10 hours instead of waking up after just 5 or 6 and not being able to get back to sleep.

Back when it was legal I used to have renewtrient next to the bed. If I woke up after 6 or 7 hours I would take a little swig and go back for another 3 or 4 hours. The extra sleep made a MAJOR difference in my ability to put on muscle and increase strength.

Just haven't found anything legal that will take the place of it.

CROWLER

chadla

Awards
I have heard several people mention Tylenol PM, Tylenol makes a sleep product without the Tylenol in it. It just has the sleep part of Tylenol PM (Diphenhydramine) I believe it's call Simply Sleep. If you are like me and take alot of supplements you don't need anything extra being hard on your liver. And by the way I think they come as two pills per serving just take one the first time you try it, and see if that works. I only take the whole dose if I know I can sleep late.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 40
Supplements 0
Supplements 114
Supplements 7
Supplements 11