Help with sleep

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. i have one of those temperpedic pillows .. when i first got it the difference in sleep quality and disappearance of back and neck pain was astounding ... the only problem is its a few years old now and i definitely need a new one ... its lost some of its "memory" lol

2. Melatonin did seem to help with sleep problems but messed up sleep after a short while. I think it messes up circadian rhythms and should not be use as a long term staple supplement.
    •   

3. Bro, I struggle with sleep, so I stay up on this area. Here are your options:

1. Ambien (zolpidem). It doesn't get any better than this 10mg on an empty stomach and you're out. No hangover, no disconect from your surroundings. You wake rested and feeling great. Ya gotta get a script, but there are numerous parmacies online that will take care of that for you.

2. OTC Antihistamines. In this "class" I would put Diphenhydramine (benadryl), doxyllamine succinate (unisom), and actifed. These are all similar and work reasonably well. They leave me feeling a little groggy sometimes, but nothing extreme. I think that doxy and actifed might be better choices becuase of their short half-lives.

3. Other options. Elavil will help with sleep.

4. Supps. Melatonin, 5HTP, Phenibut, Magnesium hels a lot of people, Straight GABA and/or glycien.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    This is an area I've never done much research on but is there anything out there helps with quality of sleep? I'm looking for something that helps with the overall quality so I don't feel like I'm draggin ass for the first hour after I get up.

4. I took a valerian cap last night and woke up feeling better than i have lately...could have just been coincindence though. I looked into the tempurpedic pillows...$70 for a pillow?!! I am broke so my old $15 one will have to work for now.

5. Quote Originally Posted by fdnk
    It's not OTC, but Ambien does wonders. (Valium works well too)
    this really does help.. ambien will make you feel high as hell after taking it but thats when you need to go to sleep.. it doesnt make you drag ass the next day because its effects are usually only felt for a few hours after taking.. it is meant to help you fall asleep which is what i have problems with, i have no problems staying asleep. it is expensive but WELL worth it. tylenol pm doesnt work too bad either, it takes a while to work however after eating and is better taken on an empty stomach around 45 minutes before desired effects to take place.. so take it well before your bedtime meal. benedryl works good too but it makes you drag ass the next morning, not recommended
    PharmD
    •   

6. Melatonan has always done the trick, 3mg about 10-15 minutes before bed and I sleep pretty well. Usually when I can't sleep it's because my mind races about a million different things.

Melatonan quiets my mind and allows me to drift off. If anyone is having trouble sleeping I would try this first before moving on to prescription stuff.

7. important to restate, perhaps, is that all these things can help. However, it's wise to choose the mildest wherever possible, and try to use them ONLY when you know you are having a problem with sleep. I know so many people who simply fall into the (bad) habit of popping the dose of whatever every night, kinda subconscioussly thinking it's just another part of their supp regimen. Then, after a time, you've created a situation for yourself where your body EXPECTS the thing and eventually NEEDS it in order to rest/sleep. That is what we refer to as chemical dependency. Further, everything (even herbal stuff) after a time will probably have an eventual lingering effect, making you drowsy the next day, lethargic, possibly moody. Again, it's not that these things are bad, or don't have a place. It's just smart to use as necessarry.

8. Quote Originally Posted by milwood
    important to restate, perhaps, is that all these things can help. However, it's wise to choose the mildest wherever possible, and try to use them ONLY when you know you are having a problem with sleep. I know so many people who simply fall into the (bad) habit of popping the dose of whatever every night, kinda subconscioussly thinking it's just another part of their supp regimen. Then, after a time, you've created a situation for yourself where your body EXPECTS the thing and eventually NEEDS it in order to rest/sleep. That is what we refer to as chemical dependency. Further, everything (even herbal stuff) after a time will probably have an eventual lingering effect, making you drowsy the next day, lethargic, possibly moody. Again, it's not that these things are bad, or don't have a place. It's just smart to use as necessarry.
    Agreed

9. BUMP

Bobo did you try any of the above that worked for you? I wouldn't mind getting a good solid 8 - 10 hours instead of waking up after just 5 or 6 and not being able to get back to sleep.

Back when it was legal I used to have renewtrient next to the bed. If I woke up after 6 or 7 hours I would take a little swig and go back for another 3 or 4 hours. The extra sleep made a MAJOR difference in my ability to put on muscle and increase strength.

Just haven't found anything legal that will take the place of it.

CROWLER

10. I have heard several people mention Tylenol PM, Tylenol makes a sleep product without the Tylenol in it. It just has the sleep part of Tylenol PM (Diphenhydramine) I believe it's call Simply Sleep. If you are like me and take alot of supplements you don't need anything extra being hard on your liver. And by the way I think they come as two pills per serving just take one the first time you try it, and see if that works. I only take the whole dose if I know I can sleep late.

11. No one has mentioned L-theanine.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. something to help with sleep
    By MakaveliThaDon in forum Supplements
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM
  2. Help with a sleep aid
    By cmp007 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-23-2009, 03:57 PM
  3. Replies: 4