Muscle Relaxers

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Anyone ever use these either when you jack your back or your muscles are just tight as hell? I use flexerall seldomly, but it seems to work well when I do use it. Anybody else?

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Flex wacks me out. I used Soma for pinced Lumbar nerves a couple of years ago.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
The only one that I can take during the day is Norflex 100mg. It works great for 10-12 hr and causes no sedation at all. Librium, Paraflex, Flexaril all work, but make me tired.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
The only one that I can take during the day is Norflex 100mg. It works great for 10-12 hr and causes no sedation at all. Librium, Paraflex, Flexaril all work, but make me tired.
Hey Dr.D, are muscle relaxers helpful in healing the back when its hurt, or does it just help with the pain? Also, I've been avoiding them when I'm on methyls, but I'm curious, are they very toxic on the liver? Thanks.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
RobIn,
Some are liver toxic, like Paraflex (chlorzoxazone) and Soma (carisoprodol) but most of the newer ones are not. You could even use these with orals if it was just a once a day small dose. I know Valium makes you sleepy, but it works well too. You may have to break the tab in half and then break a half in half to use it without sedation. Just take a quarter of it and see. I like Norflex, it's a diphenhydramine derivative, but it results in zero sedation. Great for work and daytime use.

They don't really heal you except that they relax the muscle so as to ease inflammation. So they can help you heal in that way, but they can also make it worse if you take some and go work your ass off and end up bruising it even more. I'm guilty of that myself. So it's really just to help you cope with the pain while you get on with life but try to take it easy on the injured area for awhile.

size

Awards
  • Established
Dr.D... does Norflex inhibit your daily activities at all?

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
RobIn,
Some are liver toxic, like Paraflex (chlorzoxazone) and Soma (carisoprodol) but most of the newer ones are not. You could even use these with orals if it was just a once a day small dose. I know Valium makes you sleepy, but it works well too. You may have to break the tab in half and then break a half in half to use it without sedation. Just take a quarter of it and see. I like Norflex, it's a diphenhydramine derivative, but it results in zero sedation. Great for work and daytime use.

They don't really heal you except that they relax the muscle so as to ease inflammation. So they can help you heal in that way, but they can also make it worse if you take some and go work your ass off and end up bruising it even more. I'm guilty of that myself. So it's really just to help you cope with the pain while you get on with life but try to take it easy on the injured area for awhile.
Thanks Dr.D, appreciate all the great information.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of Dr are you anyways? Can you prescribe me large doses of HRT? :twisted:

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Dr.D... does Norflex inhibit your daily activities at all?
No! It's actually a mild stimulant, unlike any other MR I know of. It can make you a little shakey w/ high doses of caff, and it's a good anhidrotic too. It's mental sharpening activity make the HCl salt useful in Parkinson illness, while the Citrate form is used as an MR. The generic name is orphenadrine. I think it's maketed w/ asprin in a combo called Parafon Forte, but I can't remember. I like the regular, generic 100mg tabs. It works all day and doesn't diminish your performance.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
do muscle relaxers have any negative effect on muscle growth etc. like NSAIDs do in regards to the prostoglandin effect?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Dr.D, appreciate all the great information.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of Dr are you anyways? Can you prescribe me large doses of HRT? :twisted:
No prob, anytime man.
Sorry on the HRT though, I'm not that kind of doctor!
It's just what 'they' call me. :p

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
do muscle relaxers have any negative effect on muscle growth etc. like NSAIDs do in regards to the prostoglandin effect?
They don't all work the same, but they will generally slow reaction times and reduce strength as a result of nerve transmittion modification. This is an acute effect while you use them, but not a long term effect once they're gone. If you use them all the time, your muscles may atrophy a bit due to disuse of those muscles, but they don't inhibit growth directly.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
hey don't all work the same, but they will generally slow reaction times and reduce strength as a result of nerve transmittion modification.
Found that out first hand when I was on percocet. My str was nill. It effected me so much I got off them early so I could go back to the gym feeling regular.

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
I've used Flexaril for a screwed up back. Still got a few left, but WOW does it knock you out. The day I got them I took one at 4PM when I got home and slept until 8AM the next day. Really sedates you.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Yeah FC, it's derived from a strong tricyclic and binds to antihistamine receptors pretty well, so sedation is a major side. They are pretty good MR's at a 20mg dose IMO, but not for daytime use!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have bottles of Flex sitting around from a previous back injury. I never take the crap im given but I hate throwing away stuff :)

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I have bottles of Flex sitting around from a previous back injury. I never take the crap im given but I hate throwing away stuff :)
Yeah, me too, but hold on to it and fill the script anyway cause one day it may be useful for something!

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I took some flex when I hurt my back at karate, I am with you all, took one at like 5pm I think I saw 10am the next day!!!! But always keep em, you never know when your going to need em :)

PnsNv

Awards
Rx for muscle aches:
Heat (w/ pad, bath, etc). This increases blood flow.
Stretch.
Ice. This is the best Anti-Inflammatory on the market! Reduces pain and swelling w/ no side effects. Non-prescription in most states (except Florida, where EVERY flippin' thing is illegal).

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but when your in so much pain you can't even breathe, it hurts ( took a kick to my lower back by a gorilla weighting in at 250, and he got a lucky shot) so I was happy for the flex.....

PnsNv

Awards
Yeah but when your in so much pain you can't even breathe, it hurts ( took a kick to my lower back by a gorilla weighting in at 250, and he got a lucky shot) so I was happy for the flex.....
Sounds more like you need a pain reliever than a muscle relaxer. MR's help with tight muscles. You could have some bruising or tissue damage from blunt force trauma.

I could come over and give you a massage, if you think it would help! :thumbsup:

P.S. Love the whip, :whip: and I don't think it makes you look Jeep.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I did go to the dr's, he gave me the Flex, said it was bruising, and my lower back was all in a knot from where he kicked me.... By the way this happened months ago......... But i remember that pain!!!

Thanks, I love my signature :)

stratvox

stratvox

Awards
About once a year i get back spasms that keep me on the floor for hours. My dr prescribes mobic, an anti immflammatory(spelling?), and robaxin which is a heavy duty muscle relaxant. supposedly the muscle relaxant reduces the twisted muscles and the anti inflam reduces the swelling. Sounds good in theory but doesnt do jack for the pain. For whatever reason, when I ask for stuff for the pain, they must think im a junkie and wont give it to me.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
It's not you bro, most doc's would rather see thier patients in pain than strung out on narcs. It's the rule. Some doc's are different, some are very different. Remember, the doctor works for you, if he's doing a bad job, get a new one. Don't live in pain, that's what they make pain-killer for, so if the doc doesn't care, why should you give him your biz? Good riddance. But when you find a good doctor, just make sure not to abuse your meds. Minimize use, take just what is needed for no longer that necessary.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I think most doctors are right not to prescribe pain killers for anything but chronic pain. And besides pain killers aren't resolving the underlying causes. I know a few co workers that were prescribed vicodin, then percocet them ms contin then oc contin because the pain got progressively worse. All it did was reduce the pain to a manageable level so that they could inflict more damage.

I had back spasms too and flexerall made me sick and knocked me out as well. Methadone ellicted the same effect. Soma provided nice relief and very little drowsiness or loss of motor functions unless taken with alcohol. Unfortunately, perhaps due to weight training, the effectiveness of each dose reduced causing one to have to use more, thus paving a path towards addiction. It also may have been the fact that I couldn't feel pain so pushed harder causing more damage and subsequent pain forcing an increased dosage.

It's not you bro, most doc's would rather see thier patients in pain that strung out on narcs. It's the rule. Some doc's are different, some are very different. Remember, the doctor works for you, if he's doing a bad job, get a new one. Don't live in pain, that's what they make pain-killer for, so if the doc doesn't care, why should you give him your biz? Good riddance. But when you find a good doctor, just make sure not to abuse your meds. Minimize use, take just what is needed for no longer that necessary.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm on 282 MEP right now for tightness in my neck/trap area. Finally get to see a DR tonight to figure out what's going on.

Pepper_58

Awards
Totally Agree With You

I agree with you. I have a really good Dr. he only prescribes pills for me if he knows I understand how to use them. I'm on Chlorzoxazone 500mg. I had a fall almost 10 years ago while I was pregnant with my twins. I couldn't take anything then. Over the years the pain has come and gone in severity. I haven't been able to lay on my back or stomack flat for years. I've taken pain killers, but only as high as Tylenol 800mg. Just recently I was working in the yard and by morning I had a really bad pain that went down my hips and legs. I over exerted it while it was feeling good (without medication). It just acted up really bad and when he prescribed this, he told me it's side effects and how to use it carefully. After other tests are run it will be treated for whatever I did to it to aggrivate it.

I only take what I need to, to make it bareable, not even as prescribed, sometimes. You have to judge your tolerance on any drug. Everyone is different and you need to let your Dr. know how you respond to the medication he/she prescribes. You know, better than anyone else, what's good and safe for you!

Too many Dr.s in my area have been getting arrested for giving addictive drugs to patients just to keep them happy and pain free, without using other methods of medicine, such as, muscle therapy and proper diet to nurish the muscle that may need repairing after injuries.
I think most doctors are right not to prescribe pain killers for anything but chronic pain. And besides pain killers aren't resolving the underlying causes. I know a few co workers that were prescribed vicodin, then percocet them ms contin then oc contin because the pain got progressively worse. All it did was reduce the pain to a manageable level so that they could inflict more damage.

I had back spasms too and flexerall made me sick and knocked me out as well. Methadone ellicted the same effect. Soma provided nice relief and very little drowsiness or loss of motor functions unless taken with alcohol. Unfortunately, perhaps due to weight training, the effectiveness of each dose reduced causing one to have to use more, thus paving a path towards addiction. It also may have been the fact that I couldn't feel pain so pushed harder causing more damage and subsequent pain forcing an increased dosage.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
Dr.D, what about tiocolchicoside?
I took 8mg ED for a couple weeks when i had a problem with my shoulded and helped a bit. I had no sides.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Dr.D, what about tiocolchicoside?
I took 8mg ED for a couple weeks when i had a problem with my shoulded and helped a bit. I had no sides.
It's an interesting compound. It has antagonistic activity at the GABA sub A receptor so it may elevate cortisol but will result in little sedation. Half-life is ~7hr. If you use 8mgs for a few wks, that shouldn't generate too many sides.

Good to see you back Syr!

alguard

Awards
If you can get xanax prescribed that would be good. Unfortunately it is only prescibed for people w/ a history of anxiety disorder.
It definately works for me though especially for those really tight muscles after a leg hard back or leg workout+

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
It's an interesting compound. It has antagonistic activity at the GABA sub A receptor so it may elevate cortisol but will result in little sedation. Half-life is ~7hr. If you use 8mgs for a few wks, that shouldn't generate too many sides.

Good to see you back Syr!
I used it for 2 weeks at 8mg ED splitted in two doses. I didnt feel anything but a little catabolism was possible since i couldnt train :( The benefit on my shoulder pain was so low that I dont plan to use it anymore in the future.

Nice to be back and see you always around DrD :)