Trazodone and 5-htp

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just got prescribed trazodone to help with insomnia. I was told to take 50-100mg before bed. I have also been taking 300-400mg of 5-htp to help with mood during the day. I told the doc and he didn't think much of it. I have read up some, and saw the combination can lead to serotonin syndrome. Are my doses of each low enough that it shouldn't be a problem? or should I cut something out?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I would cut the 5-htp out right now. It's either one or the other. The trazodone does have anti-depressant properties so it may help you with that too.

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
trazadone is an anti-dep. It came out about 40 yrs ago, I use to take it for sleep until i got use to it. I maxed it out at 400mgs and my DR switched me to something else. :redeemerwhore:

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I finally filled my prescription for trazodone myself to give it a try. Took 50mg last night before bed and didn't feel much. Don't feel like I took anything this morning. I honestly feel way more from 5-htp or a time released melatonin.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do any of you feel groggy the next morning on trazadone?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its timing + dose based for me. 50mg I can go to sleep, don't feel a huge amount of help from it though, but wake up 8-9 hrs after having taken it feeling fresh. 100mg helps me fall asleep, but i've found I am groggy for about 10-11 hours after taking it, so I have to take the higher dose earlier, like 8pm, but I can wait till 9 or 10 to take 50mg.

Its probably half life + total amount in bloodstream for me i'm thinking.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i liked trazadone it kicked my libido up and made me feel good. I never had libido problems but i do like mine being at the high end. I just kept feeling very groggy the next morning and that was when i was in the military so waking up at 6am to do a 5 mile run kinda sucked. Switched to ambien and had no problems now ambien doesn't make me sleepy at all and i had been on it for 4 yrs then stopped for about a full year, started getting insomnia again but now the ambien doesn't work.

nevergoodenough

nevergoodenough

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I finally filled my prescription for trazodone myself to give it a try. Took 50mg last night before bed and didn't feel much. Don't feel like I took anything this morning. I honestly feel way more from 5-htp or a time released melatonin.
The trazadone took a few nights before it started working. Except for the first night, when I laughed uncontrollably for about 20 mins. Also, you NEED to take it with food. Taken on an empty stomach it will have no effect

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
The trazadone took a few nights before it started working. Except for the first night, when I laughed uncontrollably for about 20 mins. Also, you NEED to take it with food. Taken on an empty stomach it will have no effect
Thanks for the advice, my Dr. told me nothing of this. I thought you might just take it "as needed". Is this something you can stop cold turkey after a month or so?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Not on my first try, I felt nothing during the night or in the morning. But as NeverGoodEnough mentioned I might be taking it wrong and I need to give it more time. Last night I dosed Magnesium taurate, 3 mg time realeased melatonin, 1-100mg 5-htp, 500mg tryptophan with b-6 and niacin. Slept better but still not great. I'm still gonna experiment a little more with supplements till I figure out how to use trazodone properly. The problem is over the years my tolerance to supplements is so high. Sometimes the effects are hit and miss anymore. I'm up to taking 400mg of 5-htp sometimes to feel anything. Melatonin is hit or miss but 5-htp usually works better. Magnesium always helps when added to the mix. Valerian is good also but I'm taking a break from that for right now.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
i been using trazedone for about 4 years. ambien and lunesta dont do anything but 75mg of traz knocks me out. i havent increased the dosage at all. when taken with food i dont see any difference than taking it on a empty stomach

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
i been using trazedone for about 4 years. ambien and lunesta dont do anything but 75mg of traz knocks me out. i havent increased the dosage at all. when taken with food i dont see any difference than taking it on a empty stomach
Do you remember if it took awhile to kick in for you? (days or worked right away?) 4 years is awhile, no tolerance issues?

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
Do you remember if it took awhile to kick in for you? (days or worked right away?) 4 years is awhile, no tolerance issues?

kicked in right away. i played with the doses but now i just take 75mg 30 min or so before bed. i never really needed to up the dosage at all. its the only stuff that i wake up feeling refreshed. i have tried stop taking it but all 3 times i stayed up for 3 days straight. i recommend it over ambien which i built up a tolerence for pretty quick and lunesta doesnt impress me at all.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, the last 2 nights I have been taking it and it's been working. It's interesting how you don't really feel it kick in but all the sudden your out. It's like it gradually knocks you out. It feels similar to 5-htp when it used to work before I built tolerance. I wake up feeling normal. Not groggy at all. Like I got a normal nights sleep. I never wake up refreshed no matter what I take but the side effects of a sleepless night are horrible. I'm very impressed with this stuff. $4 for a month supply at walmart, no insurance needed.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks, the last 2 nights I have been taking it and it's been working. It's interesting how you don't really feel it kick in but all the sudden your out. It's like it gradually knocks you out. It feels similar to 5-htp when it used to work before I built tolerance. I wake up feeling normal. Not groggy at all. Like I got a normal nights sleep. I never wake up refreshed no matter what I take but the side effects of a sleepless night are horrible. I'm very impressed with this stuff. $4 for a month supply at walmart, no insurance needed.
dang, i'm paying $10 at walgreens with insurance. for 60 50mg tabs.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
i pay 10 bucks for 30 150mg tabs. i break them in half or in thirds though. i noticed everything else has built up a tolerence very quick and trazedone its always worked as advertised on the same dose. if i take more than 100 mg i get restless leg syndrome. made that mistake the first time using it. the greatest part i have noticed that i can get only 5 hrs asleep and still wake up feeling great. everything else makes me groggy if i dont sleep for 8-10 hours