Rehab shoulder injury.... any options?

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So I can't take it anymore; my shoulder has been hurting for months now. I can't really do anything with it.
I have gone to the docs and was prescribed a steroidal anti inflammatory; pregnasone (spelled wrong I'm sure)

Questions on it; as its too early to look it up and I'll be at work in a few and will fill the script right after..

I know weight gain is "possible". Is it possible, or probable?

Is there ANY chance this will RELOVE my issues, or really only keep it from hurting while Im taking it?

If only for while Im taking it, would it be better used on certain days. as opposed to daily?

I'm also now looking for other options.
I am considering more of less GH treatment; ghrh / cjc1295 specifically. I know I felt better taking it, but it has obviously returned. Maybe this isn't the answer?..

Cissus isn't doing much if anything now :(

Are there any steroids out that will help with healing ?

I'm open to every option at this point if you have something that has worked for you

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Prednisone is what he gave you, its a corticosteroid. You most likely will gain weight, and unfortunately not muscle from it. Asthmatics are given that, same with people who get rashes from poison ivy. Everyone I know personally (including myself) who has taken it has gained some fat from it and rather quickly. This doesnt mean you are going to explode with fat instantly of course a lot of it depends on your diet but this will make it more difficult no doubt. I'm not too sure what other steroids you could take to repair it but you could try this stretching exercise, it helped my right shoulder pain a lot.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=6997

I stopped doing lifts with my shoulder for about a month after I hurt my rotator cuff, took some cissus rx, and did that exercise. Helped me out considerably. Its worth a shot.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Prednisone is what he gave you, its a corticosteroid. You most likely will gain weight, and unfortunately not muscle from it. Asthmatics are given that, same with people who get rashes from poison ivy. Everyone I know personally (including myself) who has taken it has gained some fat from it and rather quickly. This doesnt mean you are going to explode with fat instantly of course a lot of it depends on your diet but this will make it more difficult no doubt. I'm not too sure what other steroids you could take to repair it but you could try this stretching exercise, it helped my right shoulder pain a lot.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=6997

I stopped doing lifts with my shoulder for about a month after I hurt my rotator cuff, took some cissus rx, and did that exercise. Helped me out considerably. Its worth a shot.
Thanks a bunch.
Did the pain return, or is this something you have to monitore and address regularly?

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Nope, the pain did not return but I do still have a dull ache in it after lifting and it will give out on my right side before my left whenever I go too heavy but it is much improved. When it first happened I couldnt bench, press anything over my shoulder, or even do 1 pushup without horrible pain. Now I can bench again and do as many pushups as possible with only a light dull ache afterward, which normally goes away after stretching it right after. After I start to plateau on my bench I think im going to take another month off, maybe just 2 weeks, and do more of that exercise to see if I can improve it some more. My range of motion is still less on my right side than on my left, maybe if I can even it out I will get rid of all my issues. Good luck with yours bro.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I feel like such a fool; that WORKED!

..I mean, I literally did presses today, without pain!
I can't describe the pain I had stretching it the way I did last night though, it was ridicules!
I felt like I was only only making it worse, or that Id dislocate my shoulder, or just pass out from the pain. I sure as hell had not endured that kind of intentional pain before lol :dunno:
I heard/felt fibers reaching tinsel limits....

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Haha im glad it worked well for you too, especially so quickly. I thought you would like it!

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
As the Marines say pain is weakness leaving the body.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The prednisone simply increases appetite. It's not that it prevents lean mass gains, it's just that there's nothing anabolic about it. Take it as prescribed and control your diet. No need to play pharmacist with your own dosing protocol.

Your first post sounds desperate. At the same time, I see no mention of diagnostics such as xrays or MRI's. I see no mention of cortisone shots. No physical therapy. No orthopedic consult. Be thankful that, according to your original post, you haven't even scratched the surface yet. The reality is, we have no idea what your problem is at this point.

I personally don't use aggressive philosophies the way the link suggests. IMO there's way better ways to activate the posterior delts and external rotators than putting them in such vulnerable positions. It may work in the short term, but has the potential to cause more problems down the road.

nynone

nynone

Awards
anti-inflammatory drugs prevent the muscle from getting inflamed (aka pumped). so, muscle gains should (ideally) not be as much as you'd think for a steroidal drug.

As the Marines say pain is weakness leaving the body.
this is correct. Marines do say that! I can't wait for my paperwork to get finalized as well. I'm "in progress", you could say, with paerwork and waiting to go through MEPS. Only downside is i'm a bit too heavy for boot camp, and I'm gonna have to lose some weight :/

oh well, all for the Corps!

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The prednisone simply increases appetite. It's not that it prevents lean mass gains, it's just that there's nothing anabolic about it. Take it as prescribed and control your diet. No need to play pharmacist with your own dosing protocol.

Your first post sounds desperate. At the same time, I see no mention of diagnostics such as xrays or MRI's. I see no mention of cortisone shots. No physical therapy. No orthopedic consult. Be thankful that, according to your original post, you haven't even scratched the surface yet. The reality is, we have no idea what your problem is at this point.

I personally don't use aggressive philosophies the way the link suggests. IMO there's way better ways to activate the posterior delts and external rotators than putting them in such vulnerable positions. It may work in the short term, but has the potential to cause more problems down the road.
I was!

I knew an MRI would be needed but I have no insurence. I'd have to fly out of state to get that done (Doc's in the family)
The Cortisone shot was an option; but I was trying to figure out if weather going that route would only be a band-aid, not a solution, before I start paying $100 a week out of pocket to have it done.
I was just trying to figure out weather I was going to be paying for a cure, or treatment:dunno:

In any event, even though the pain was NOT felt in the muscle, the streatching is still helping a HUGE amount.

I will continue with that until I need (or IF I need) to explore other options again.
Momma was right on the "I need to get insurance thing:trout:)

wolfe14

Awards
  • Established
following along! I have been in severe pain in left shoulder since last August, had an MRI last Tues and going for results this Tues...Benching or any pressing movements KILL me ! which sucks cause I like to lift heavy cause i'm still trying to gain...

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Xtraflossy,
man that is a total bummer with no insurance. I agree then with no cortisone shot paying out of pocket. I encourage you to make a few changes then to prolong the life of your shoulder, and hopefully let it heal a little:

1) Do cardio preworkout. Then don't stop sweating throughout your entire lift.

2) Cut out all lifts that irritate your shoulder. For now, think of that as a permanent change. Maybe you can re-explore those lifts 6 months down the road... for example, let's say incline barbell press irritates the shoulder. Swap it out for palms in incline dumbell press.

3) After cardio, but prelift: Do internal and external rotation cuff work with very light bands at least 3 times per week. Do these SUPER SLOW... like 3-5 second negatives to push blood into the tiny cuff muscles. 3 sets of 5 reps each way.

Also do band rows with medium resistance with 3 grips. Palms up, palms in, and palms down. 3 sets of 10 reps each way. These don't have to be as slow, but still squeeze your shoulder blades pretty hard.

*Do the cuff work and band rows in a superset fashion focusing on squeezing. Your shoulder should be real stable by this point and you'll tolerate a lot more lifts through your workout. This band warm up should takes me about 8-10 minutes. IF you still need to do that aggressive stretch in the above link, your shoulder will be more ready for it now... as opposed to doing it cold.