I heard Tylenol is rough on the liver?

BaldwinBoy

Awards
Bad combo with other "supplements". Any info?

enswalters

Awards
It is. Dirty little secret that the FDA chooses to ignore, because they'd rather be going after bodybuilders.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
too much is not good. one and awhile is fine. but then again i take methalated ph's. good thing your liver can regenerate and heal its self.

elabor

elabor

Awards
Tylenol is terrible for your liver. Considering the half life of alcohol and tylenol, you should never take tylenol within five days of drinking. If you are taking orals, which are likely much rougher than alcohol, avoid tylenol completely. Here is some info copy and pasted from a Cecil Adams article:

Acetaminophen overdose is the leading cause of acute liver failure, even if we leave alcohol out of the picture. According to one study, it accounts for 20 percent of cases (Schiodt et al, Liver Transplantation and Surgery, January 1999) An as-yet-unpublished follow-up puts the number even higher--30 percent. Acute liver failure isn't that common. Still, 70,000 cases of acetaminophen toxicity are reported each year.

(Substitute methylated oral users for heavy drinkers)

...heavy drinkers (two or more drinks per day)... suffer worse liver damage from Tylenol than people who OD on purpose. Of 71 patients treated at a Dallas medical center for acetaminophen overdose, 50 were attempted suicides and 21 were victims of an accidental overdose (Schiodt et al, New England Journal of Medicine, October 1997). The would-be suicides on average took twice as much of the drug as the accidental victims. Yet far more of the latter went into a coma (seven versus three) and died (four versus one). Why? Because most of the accidental victims were alcoholics. Five people--three accidental victims, two attempted suicides--overdosed on less than four grams, the claimed safe dosage for 24 hours.

Let's not forget kidney damage. A December 1994 study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that a daily tablet of acetaminophen for a year or 1,000 pills over a lifetime doubled the odds of kidney failure.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i never ever ever use tylenol or any substance that has acetaminophen. its terrible. life extension has been trying to get it banned FOREVER.

even when i had a cold for a week or two i refused to use nyquil.

discomfort of a cold > liver damage :D

ammoarsenal

ammoarsenal

Awards
  • Established
holy hell. during my last cycle, it was non methylated but i took nyquil for like 5 days every night during a terrible cold. glad it wasnt methylated, i woulda had to play a little farwell song for my liver :whiner:

pcproffy

Awards
You could probably say any drug is hard on the liver since that is where the metabolism takes place. Use in moderation and you'll be fine.

Here are your fun facts for the day:

When you take a prescription painkiller its usually an opiate+acetaminophen. The safety of dosing is dependent on the acetaminophen and not the opiate.

And FYI, cats can't metabolize acetaminophen and even a small amount will result in kidney failure.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could probably say any drug is hard on the liver since that is where the metabolism takes place. Use in moderation and you'll be fine.

Here are your fun facts for the day:

When you take a prescription painkiller its usually an opiate+acetaminophen. The safety of dosing is dependent on the acetaminophen and not the opiate.

And FYI, cats can't metabolize acetaminophen and even a small amount will result in kidney failure.
examples:
Percocet = Oxycodone + Acetomenifen (hepatic/renal concerns)
Percodan = Oxycodone + Acteomenifen (Ulceratic stomach/renal concerns)

War Machine

War Machine

Awards
A lot of the pain killers that are used in the pharmacy are paired up with aspirin not tylenol. If you see any drug with acetaminophen, that's Aspirin not tylenol.

Ie: Hydrocodone APAP= Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen
Oxycodone APAP= Oxycodone and Acetaminophen.

So the prescription painkillers are not as bad as tylenol, AS LONG as you take it how it's directed. Obviously if your not in pain and your just pill popping you can expect addiction and/or liver failure.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
This woman I used to work with was taking tylenol pm's for sleep everynight for a while and she ended up having to go get an mri because she had like a hole in her stomach or something. Watch out.

sw bill

Awards
This woman I used to work with was taking tylenol pm's for sleep everynight for a while and she ended up having to go get an mri because she had like a hole in her stomach or something. Watch out.
I have takin 2 tylenol PM's everynight for the past 5 years even during a PH cycle or after a night of drinking.Hell way back in the day i would take PM's after a night of Vicoden and drinking.That was 4-5 nights a week.I use to be a real mess.Never had a problem but now ya got me thinking....

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have takin 2 tylenol PM's everynight for the past 5 years even during a PH cycle or after a night of drinking.Hell way back in the day i would take PM's after a night of Vicoden and drinking.That was 4-5 nights a week.I use to be a real mess.Never had a problem but now ya got me thinking....
My grandfather smoked 2 packs of filterless PallMalls his entire life. He died at 86 years of age because he lived alone and fell, broke his hip, and well you get the idea. Point is he never got lung cancer, emphysema, etc. but others get it second hand. It's a gamble with these things and the human body is quite resilient, buuuuut it would suck to be the one who doesn't get away with it.