Dosage On Fish Oil?

Parrrish

Awards
:wave2: Any idea? 500 capluse a day what?!

Thanks

Zach

country1911

country1911

Banned
Awards
Some people say anything over 1-2g a day is wasted, others prefer 10g+ a day and have no ill effects. Experiment with what works for you, I prefer 4-5g a day, sometimes more. I just lower my dose when I start getting the burps and whatnot.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
It depends on goals and other things mate.

I say 2g-5g for every day maintenance. If you are on a PH, I say 5 or more. If you are working on losing weight or cardio work, I think 5g is also well. I know when I started fish oil(i use it on and off at diff doses) It helped me in my opinion lean out some at 5gs a day. There is also a megadosing technique, not sure how that pans out. 10g or more I could see only for very specific and detailed goals. Too much fish oil acts like a blood thinner I believe. It is great for joints and tendons IMO, I feel so much better. Plus I believe it has a mood enhancing effect. Likely through a better balanced body.

This is all IMO, just my opinion on it.

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take 12 to 20g/ day depending on what I'm training for. Charles Poliquin actually has a regime which uses 30 to 45g/ day. Just be sure to get some extra vitamin E to prevent lipid peroxidation.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i take 20 caps of NP's Bulk fish oil a day

EPA 3600mg
DHA 2400mg

i just can't handle the liquid :(

CallmeClark

Awards
  • Established
Heh, when I'm on my contest prep, I'll take 24g fish oil and 24g flaxseed oil! Just depends on what you're diet's looking like and what you're trying to accomplish. For general health purposes, 3g daily is recommended.

magicseaweed

magicseaweed

Awards
Does anyone know which brand of fish oils contains the most EPA and DHA in a single serving, is it Nordic Naturals?

purebred

the only two liquid fish oils i've tried are Health From The Sea PFO

1 tsp contains:
fish oil - 4360mg
EPA: 715mg
DHA: 470mg

and Nordic Naturals

1 tsp contains:
EPA: 825mg
DHA: 550 mg plus 290mg oleic acid

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
why fish oil and not just EVOO?
Because Olive Oil is about 10:1 Omega 6 to Omega 3. If one is trying to take Omega 3 to balance against their Omega 6 intake, it would defeat their purpose by taking evoo. Some say the best ratio of O-6 to O-3 is 3:1.

Phil

purebred

Only Carlson's Finest. I take 2-3 tsp or 8-12g/day.
i know several people who have tried and they preferred other brands. they reported an odd aftertaste and a peculiar texture. however, i can't really speak for them as i have not tried it yet but out of the two I've tried: Health From The Sea PFO has been the best.

Carlson's nutrient profile looks good though: 800mg EPA and 500mg DHA per tsp (if I'm not mistaken)

healthyimage

healthyimage

Awards
i am up to 4 caps aday 1000 milagrams the doc told me as long as i can still **** ok i can go higher...

rugal09

rugal09

Awards
RPN's Krill Oil looks pretty good too. As for dosage, I try to get the recommended amount of EPA/DHA. 2 caps per meals at minimum but I can usually do 4 caps per meals.

Coachese

Coachese

Awards
It depends on goals and other things mate.

I say 2g-5g for every day maintenance. If you are on a PH, I say 5 or more. ...,<snip> It is great for joints and tendons IMO, I feel so much better. Plus I believe it has a mood enhancing effect. Likely through a better balanced body.

This is all IMO, just my opinion on it.
This is my opinion as well. Many people in this thread know, but the OP may not that you need to read the label and add up the amounts of EPA and DHA to get the amount of beneficial "fish oil" the tablets have.

I personally take 2 tabs (800/400 each) with every meal except Pre and PWO.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
2 tbsp/day of Carlson's

Usually before bed/late in the day so no burping issues.

elabor

elabor

Awards
I use Carlson's Super DHA, 4 caps before bed, so no burps. Provides 2g DHA, 400mg EPA.

DHA is the stuff I am after, and any extra DHA is converted to EPA in the body. Plus I get EPA from other food sources (flax oil enriched PB, Smart Balance products, etc), whereas DHA only comes from animal and algal sources. The conversion efficiency of EPA to DHA is so bad it might as well be 0.

I paid <$30 for 180 caps of Carlson's Super DHA (90g total DHA). Cheaper per gram of DHA than NOW brand and probably better quality. Purity is very important for fish oil as the incidence of contamination is high.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BigKrabbe Supplements 9
Supplements 125
justiceTX Supplements 1
lawnboy246 Supplements 6
dlew308 Nutrition / Health 3