Pscychiatrist appt soon...want to get most out of it

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. indianballer if i was u i wouldnt plan on using klonopin longterm. i used it for along time amongst other things that werent prescribed but thats a diff story. anyway the withdrawals are the worst thing on earth its indescribable ive detoxed from coke, oxy, and meth and clonazepam was by far the worst. check this website out when you have a chance http://www.benzo.org.uk/pha-1.htm

2. Quote Originally Posted by revodrew View Post
    Chemical dependancy is a beast to get over! I've been on oxycontin for over 3 years and am trying to get off
    hey, tell your doctor what you're doing. tell him you need 40mg of diazepam for 2 weeks, 20mg diazepam for 2 more weeks, then quit diazepam cold turkey. this will ensure that the mental aspect of dependency on opiates is subdued. then after the month, you quit the diazepam. its considered the safest way to come off opiates (i have a ton of doctor friends - two psychiatrists who swear this is the best way (in the US) to do this. if you're going to europe anytime soon, ibogaine works better, but highly illegal outside of a select few countries.
    •   

3. Pass. I don't know enough to comment - in fact I have not experience. All I can say is do not attempt to manipulate them at all. Do not condescend to them or try and hide anything. Be yourself and be completely sincere and truthful - that is extremely important.

I've looked into some of the online chats between these guys and all I can say is ... scary. The lack of consensus and variation in approaches for really strong drugs I don't like one bit - in fact I hate it. In fact conference surveys support this...

Mention the word 'MAOIs' as a last resort. Don't use any anabolic stuff if they put you on MAOIs - I've no idea what you should expect but if you mess up they can be fatal. They'll might try a combination therapy first (lets hope).

4. I appreciate your guys' input...sincerely...this is something that is extremely difficult for me to communicate to my peers face to face, so getting feedback on here is awesome. I understand that dependence is a bitch and withdrawals are a necessary evil when it gets to that point, but I've tried the natural med-free way more times than I can count and I always end up in the same anxious, depressed, and flat out non-functional state. I initially hated the idea of trying Zoloft, which was the first psychotropic med I was ever prescribed, and it was a NIGHTMARE. I can never tell if I feel worse on SSRI's or off, but one thing is clear, they don't help. I've tried em all (including Effexor and Cymbalta, which are SNRI's). I really feel the clonazepam has helped me to get back to being myself for the time being. I don't particularly like the idea of being on a benzo for the rest of my life, but when I weigh it against the feelings and moods I tend to have when on no medication, it seems well worth it. My only concern at this point is the cognitive and memory effects it might have. With school starting back up in a month, I can't afford to let my GPA slip any more than it already has. I've always had trouble concentrating for extended periods of time, but I've done outstanding on all my standardized tests throughout school and got a 30 on my ACT so I know I have the potential. I'm really considering talking to my doc about ADD meds my next appt. If he's not keen on prescribing 2 controlled substances to a young guy with a little bit of experimentation history, I may suggest something like Wellbutrin. I know it acts on the same receptors, so maybe it could be of some benefit? I really think some type of stimulant would have me completely back on my feet, because I'm still struggling with motivation and anxiety induced racing thoughts, which affects my concentration, but then part of me thinks that's just a flat out drug-seeking though process. It's hard to draw the line between what improves one's quality of life and what gets one "high".

5. Im on these meds due to an injury in the military where I was told that surgery was my only option. I had surgery at the Naval Medical Center on Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, I have since got the feeling that military hospitals are more like meat markets! LOL

I went to my Doc last night, we discussed myself coming off the meds the safe way. He says that there is a new med. that he has only perscribed one time that he thinks I would be a good canadite for. It has Oxycodone like painkilling effects and a minor mood enhancer so you feel like you have taken an opiate but it actually has no opiates in it. The problem would be detoxing. I have 17 days vacation coming up and we are going to see if we can plan all these into my days off so I dont have to be detoxing while at work. Good luck with your situation bro, you are the only one who turly knows how much you need to feel "right". Just dont think that taking the meds has two benefits, one you pain relief and two, getting a little crooked for " Just taking perscribed meds"! That is when you will become emotionally and physically dependant. TRUST ME!
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by indianballer View Post
    I appreciate your guys' input...sincerely...this is something that is extremely difficult for me to communicate to my peers face to face, so getting feedback on here is awesome. I understand that dependence is a bitch and withdrawals are a necessary evil when it gets to that point, but I've tried the natural med-free way more times than I can count and I always end up in the same anxious, depressed, and flat out non-functional state. I initially hated the idea of trying Zoloft, which was the first psychotropic med I was ever prescribed, and it was a NIGHTMARE. I can never tell if I feel worse on SSRI's or off, but one thing is clear, they don't help. I've tried em all (including Effexor and Cymbalta, which are SNRI's). I really feel the clonazepam has helped me to get back to being myself for the time being. I don't particularly like the idea of being on a benzo for the rest of my life, but when I weigh it against the feelings and moods I tend to have when on no medication, it seems well worth it. My only concern at this point is the cognitive and memory effects it might have. With school starting back up in a month, I can't afford to let my GPA slip any more than it already has. I've always had trouble concentrating for extended periods of time, but I've done outstanding on all my standardized tests throughout school and got a 30 on my ACT so I know I have the potential. I'm really considering talking to my doc about ADD meds my next appt. If he's not keen on prescribing 2 controlled substances to a young guy with a little bit of experimentation history, I may suggest something like Wellbutrin. I know it acts on the same receptors, so maybe it could be of some benefit? I really think some type of stimulant would have me completely back on my feet, because I'm still struggling with motivation and anxiety induced racing thoughts, which affects my concentration, but then part of me thinks that's just a flat out drug-seeking though process. It's hard to draw the line between what improves one's quality of life and what gets one "high".
    trust me if you truly have anxiety an add medication like adderall, or straterra, or any of the like it will only increase your anxiety. ive been there and im also studying pharmacology. anxiety increases with the use of any stimulant just about anyone knows that. but ive been were youve been and it sucks but the thing about benzos is they make you feel like a million bucks for awhilebut then you realize youre not getting the same effect anymore so you think hey im more anxious my anxiety is worse so the doc goes ok heres a higher dosage and it will just keep on going until you have reached the most you can get prescribed and then tolerance withdrawal kicks in and you have to take the klonopin just so youre not sick, just like oxy withdrawal you have to take oxy to avoid feeling like **** and throwing up and having ahces and pains and headaches and the list goes on. my point is if the meds help you then good but theyre not meant to be long term and you do have to decide whether you just like feeling a little buzz everyday or if its really helping the quality of your life. and if you still think you need medication for focus and whatnot try something like modanfinil if your doc will prescribe it off label. its not an amphetamine or derivative like the other add meds so you wont have the problem with increased anxiety.

7. I have no experience with addiction, behavoral or personality illness. I have people in my life that say holding back from your psych can impede your treatment. Yes, opening up certain information can affect being able to obtain or keep military or govt jobs. But decide what you want long term. Effective treatment or the possibility for "maybe" obtaining a lifestyle restricted type of job sometime later in life. Sometimes when the conditions are severe enough and the treatment is not based on psych knowing all that is needed people never have a chance at improving quality of life or live long enough to think about a long term career or other goals. Others will not be able to maintain that dream job after they are hired. I know of someone that was on prescription meds and mixed with recreational items. This almost killed them. Be careful.

Just saying my opinion from what I have been "told". Good luck!

8. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I see people self medicating themselves ... on this board. Gaba this, superdrol that, ghrp, htp-5, levothyroxine
    This is funny. Sure we are all aware of the danger of PH. That aside the OTC market even in the US is pretty tightly regulated. Most 5HTP never gets into the brain it converts to serotonin before it gets there: if you double this with Carbidopa ... could overload and die, which is why this stuff ain't available OTC. GABA can't get into the brain. If you use ECGC on the back of Ldopa it might increase dopamine production a bit but it ain't Sinemet. Yohimbine is useful and pretty potent but its an antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    My advice, if you feel you need to see the doc, then see him......Just felt I needed throw my thoughts out there.
    Its fair point but Zero and Searl have a fair point as well that gym/work out/lifting/cardio is good for all sorts of reasons.

9. I would say it's important to tell them about any previous drug use. They're not there to arrest you and my girlfriend got addicted to her xanax medication, but she was abusing it. They will help you deal with drug use and prescribe the correct medication when they think you are ready, I do however think it's important not to depend on drugs to help you with depression, the power of the mind can go a long way...
    I know people who take over 6 medications for depression,anxiety etc. Hasn't helped them out one bit.
    ****ing with your body's chemical balances should only be considered after a lot of careful consideration and research. Tell your doctor everything and they will help you out.

10. Quote Originally Posted by indianballer View Post
    So I've been seeing a psychologist for a few weeks and by her advice I scheduled an appt with an MD who she suggested was "good with medication".

My question is what have your guys' experiences been with docs and what are the best ways to deal with them without seeming "drug seeking". Not that those are my intentions, I've just tried every antidepressant under the sun as well as Buspar and I think I know that I need something a little stronger. I'm also torn on whether or not to reveal past experimentation with recreational drugs or not.

What does everyone suggest my intentions be for a first appt. with a prescribing psychiatrist?
    To start off, a short background of me:
    I have quite a bit of experience with both therapists/psychologists and psychiatrists. I have been going to a psychologist on and off for the last two years, but they never did much for me. After the first couple months, I was prescribed the SSRI Prozac. In my personal experience, PROZAC is a magical pill. It is pretty much non-addictive, smooth to go on and come off of, and I had very few/no side effects. After working up to 40mg/day for a bit over a year, I came off of it. What prozac did for me, aside from the initial mood boost - my depression was half clinical (hence the magic of a serotonin reuptake inhibitor for someone like me) - was ALLOW ME TO SEE outside of the walls of my depression.

On to your question:
    Let him know of your past clinical prescriptions and which ones didn't work for you. I, personally, wouldn't mention recreational use, especially if you are hoping to get a stronger drug that you think will work for you. Yes, he/she is a licenced drug-prescriber, but YOU know what you need so long as you aren't lying to yourself (which it doesn't sound like you are). You should have a two way street with your psychiatrist; tell him what you think and how you are feeling, and consider his trained medical advice.

Best of luck to you.

11. Im on Wellbutrin 300mg daily for poor concentration and i havent noticed a difference after 2 months takeing it. I know it takes afew months to start working but my grades ar falling every semester. The only thing i have had success with in this department is smokeing marijuana. I stay focused and my mind doesnt wonder...but its something i wont tell my doctor about because i dont want him to think im a drug abuser. I really dont want to be on hard mind f**k meds my whole life so im stuck between a rock and a hard place. In other words, i feel all you guys' pain. It sucks.

12. I wouldnt mention rec drugs unless asked. They know people get high, and will be able to tell if your an addict. I would tell them about previous meds that didnt work or caused sides. Benzos and SSRI's are the most effective combos, although Benzos can be addictive if high doses are used. SSRI's help attenuate that. Find out what is the source of your problems and talk about it till its gone! Best of luck to you! It doesnt have to be this way forever and if you determine to get better, you will!

13. Hey man, did you ever start that test/anadrol/epi cycle that you posted up a while back? Just wondering if that might be contributing to your problems. Also, did you start experiencing depression/anxiety before or after you started running pro-hormones? Just curious because when you are shut down you can experience depression/anxiety as well as panic attacks. Have you had any blood work done recently?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Low T - Upcomming Dr. appt.
    By jvettfan in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 12:10 AM
  2. Appt Romeo B. Mariano
    By engival in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 09:17 PM
  3. Drs appt....
    By wranglergirl in forum General Chat