pain killers + muscle growth

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I can tell you first hand drugs namely H, used over a long time is not good on the liver and does not help actually slows muscle growth.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Heartless88 View Post
    you can get a crookid ddicck while your on that **** from beating it so many times dieing to bust your nut. :/
    hope you all get a crookid ****
    I loled...

But seriously, meds can cut into protein synthesis up to 40 percent.

3. Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    oxycontin makes me huge!
    That's just an ignorant statement, oxycotton is a very dangerous drug, that can cause fatal contraindications if misused. It's nothing to joke around about, remember on an internet forum, some young kid may read that and think it's cool because a bodybuilder said so, and tells 10 friends he knows. Not cool bro, grow up.

The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2

4. N-SAIDS reduce inflamation in the body, this is the process that causes muscle growth. Simple as that really.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2

5. Opiate pain killers have led over half of my friends to terrible addictions, divorce, bankruptcy, and death-They are BAD!!!! Get off them FAST.........They do make for a fun night of good fu*#ing!!!!

6. Quote Originally Posted by thaOrleanyte View Post
    tramadol is not actually an opiate
    It is, however, an opioid referring to a synthetic instead of naturally occurring compound that is related to opiates (naturally occurring). The only difference between tramadol and other opioids such as codeine and morphine derivatives (hydrocodone, hydromorphone) is that it is a partial mu agonist instead of a pure mu agonist. But it is definitely an opioid.

Opioids do have an effect on muscle growth though, they decrease testosterone quite a bit and hyperprolactinemia is often present with that as well.

As for oxycontin it is actually less abusive than oxycodone it just gets a bad rap. Oxycontin is just the brand name for extended release oxycodone but the sustained release decreases abusive potential long term. Oxycodone (percocet) is highly addictive and sadly a lot of people take it chronically when they shouldn't be and they waste a lot of their lives.
    Gain Strength. Add Lean Mass. Recover Faster. : ERGONINE

7. inflammation is bad, yes its the bodys natural reaction to trauma but that doesnt really help you...why elevate, ice,rest etc a sprained ankle if that inflammation you are getting is actually your ankle tendons and muscles repairing themselves to better than before. Inflammation stops nutrients from getting to the affected area....using an anti infammitory like ibuprofen is a no brainier- A. you feel better while your healing, and B. it speeds recovery time....theres no real evidence that advil or whatever is bad for building muscle. Ive never had a problem and took 6 to 10 advil A DAY for weeks at a time......still huge.
  8. Re: pain killers + muscle growth

It seems everyone has a different opinion on this matter. I say as long as you use medications in moderation (i.e. when you actually need them) and keep your weekly routine of proper diet, exercise and rest there shouldn't be any issue.

My 2¢

9. I have alot of prior injuries that some times limit my lifting because of inflammatory pain or discomfort. If i takes couple ibuprofen this relieving pain and inflammation then I lift much better when I have these occurrences which in turn helps build my strength. Maybe on some small level it inhibits muscle growth but as far as I can tell not as much as much as the pain in my bones(cold weather mostly triggers it) that limits mobility would. Abusing or over using is never a good thing but use to relieve a valid symptom in order to increase mobility and reduce inflammation seems more beneficial then harmful IMO. But I'm no doctor and I don't go around over analyzing case studies I dig up on the Internet so how would I know. I just do what feels right within reason and helps me preform better ;-) that's my rule of thumb .

10. Chronic opiate use will lower your testosterone level which will in turn make it much more difficult to gain muscle mass but the key word here is CHRONIC opiate use. The occasional opiate use should have relatively no effect on muscle mass besides the fact that you usually don't eat on opiates so it would make it a little harder to get those gains.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pain killers?
    By Persian1012 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 02:19 AM
  2. Over-The-Counter Pain Killers Increase Muscle Mass
    By small_guy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 03:09 PM
  3. Pain Killers
    By asavage24 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 44